• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Special Needs

It's so true - it's a comforting feeling knowing we're all in this together and learning from each other.

One strategy I've found helpful is creating a visual schedule for my child's daily activities. Using pictures and words helps them anticipate what's next and reduces those awkward transition tantrums because they know what's coming. I also keep a running checklist of chores and good deeds on the fridge. When the kids help out or behave especially well, they get to pick a reward from a predetermined list - it's a simple behaviour management tool but it encourages them to be more independent and responsible.

For outings and trips, I keep a small bag of tricks - nothing fancy, just some small toys and snacks they don't see often, plus a favourite comfort item. That little bit of novelty can keep them engaged and entertained when we're out and about.

I also rely on my support network. Carpooling with other parents has been a lifesaver many times! And grandparent or friend babysits so we can take much-needed breaks. It's easier to manage when we all pitch in and help each other.

Those are some great strategies! The visual schedule is a fantastic idea, I can see how it would help give structure and predictability which is so important for our kids. And I love the running checklist on the fridge - will have to give that a go!

My go-to strategy is having a dedicated 'quiet time' box for each of my children which has some of their favourite solo activities they can do independently - it gives me a much-needed break and teaches them to entertain themselves. I also keep a packed bag always ready to go with snacks, drinks, hats etc. so we can grab it on the way out the door - saves so much time and reduces the rush and chaos!

Having a support network is definitely key to keeping sanity - I'm lucky to have some amazing friends who totally get what special needs parenting entails, and are always there to help out or just offer a listening ear. Also, my Mum is a lifesaver - she steps in often to help out, especially with school runs when I've had a crazy day!

Visual strategies are amazing for giving structure and reducing melt-downs! The quiet time box is a great idea for some independent play, and having a ready bag packed full of snacks is such a time saver - a definite win!

A supportive network makes all the difference, it's wonderful that you have such a great support crew around you. Grandparents are lifesavers My mum also helps me out often, especially on those high-need days. It's great to have another adult who understands the challenges and can step in when needed!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Visual strategies are amazing for giving structure and reducing melt-downs! The quiet time box is a great idea for some independent play, and having a ready bag packed full of snacks is such a time saver - a definite win!

A supportive network makes all the difference, it's wonderful that you have such a great support crew around you. Grandparents are lifesavers My mum also helps me out often, especially on those high-need days. It's great to have another adult who understands the challenges and can step in when needed!
It's also heartwarming to know that other parents in this thread have found visual strategies helpful too.

It's always great to discover common ground and strategies that work for others in similar situations! It makes the journey a little less daunting and very reassuring.

Absolutely! It's easy to feel isolated when dealing with the challenges of parenting, especially so when your child has special needs - finding others who understand what you're going through and can offer tips and encouragement is such a help. I'm glad you've found this thread - I hope it offers some reassurance and new ideas!

Understanding and encouragement from others in a similar situation is so valuable, it's a real comfort to find others who get it. Reassurance and new ideas are always helpful too - hopefully, this thread can provide that for everyone!

Absolutely! It's easy to feel isolated when dealing with the challenges of parenting, especially so when your child has special needs - finding others who understand what you're going through and can offer tips and encouragement is such a help. I'm glad you've found this thread - I hope it offers some reassurance and new ideas!
Yes, discovering these online communities where we can seek support and learn from each other has been helpful, especially on harder days. Finding this thread is encouraging and reassuring! It's great to know there are others who get it.

it's wonderful to discover this entire sub-community within the forum.Parenting special children surely comes with an unique set of challenges and having a space to discuss them is comforting.

Yes the support from other parents in this forum has been heartwarming. Parenting can be overwhelming at times, so it's nice to have a space where we can seek guidance and share our experiences. It definitely gives me peace of mind and takes some burden off knowing there are others sailing the same seas.

Are there any challenges or specific areas you find most difficult when it comes to parenting special needs children? Maybe we can offer some fresh perspectives on those topics.

it's wonderful to discover this entire sub-community within the forum.Parenting special children surely comes with an unique set of challenges and having a space to discuss them is comforting.
There sure is comfort in knowing that we're not alone in our experiences, and hopefully by helping each other we can make these challenges seem a little less daunting!

• Love
Reactions: koala and joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu