• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Challenges

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is such an important and often challenging aspect of parenting, so it's good to have a space to discuss it.

Parenting children with extra challenges or special needs can sometimes feel overwhelming. While every child is unique, there's much to navigate and consider - from medical issues to learning differences, sensory sensitivities, behavioral challenges and everything in between.

It can be exhausting and isolating at times, and also incredibly rewarding! Sharing experiences, strategies, and support makes us all stronger and better equipped to handle the road bumps along this journey.

What brings you to this thread and what are some of your experiences and insights on parenting children with challenges? What's your greatest successes or difficulties that you'd like to discuss further? Let's create a supportive environment here to help us navigate these parenting waters.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
This is such an important and often challenging aspect of parenting, so it's good to have a space to discuss it.

Parenting children with extra challenges or special needs can sometimes feel overwhelming. While every child is unique, there's much to navigate and consider - from medical issues to learning differences, sensory sensitivities, behavioral challenges and everything in between.

It can be exhausting and isolating at times, and also incredibly rewarding! Sharing experiences, strategies, and support makes us all stronger and better equipped to handle the road bumps along this journey.

What brings you to this thread and what are some of your experiences and insights on parenting children with challenges? What's your greatest successes or difficulties that you'd like to discuss further? Let's create a supportive environment here to help us navigate these parenting waters.
I'm here because my five-year-old was diagnosed with ADHD combined type and sensory processing difficulties. It has been a challenging few years, especially because as a young child, she has such big feelings that she struggles to regulate and express. We're currently working on developing better communication skills so we can understand each other better.

My biggest difficulty is probably managing her expectations and mine too, especially when she has meltdowns in public. I always feel so judged by others around me, which makes me feel even more stressed. I'm sure most parents here can relate! It's encouraging to know that we're not alone and other parents have gone through similar situations.

I'm here because my five-year-old was diagnosed with ADHD combined type and sensory processing difficulties. It has been a challenging few years, especially because as a young child, she has such big feelings that she struggles to regulate and express. We're currently working on developing better communication skills so we can understand each other better.

My biggest difficulty is probably managing her expectations and mine too, especially when she has meltdowns in public. I always feel so judged by others around me, which makes me feel even more stressed. I'm sure most parents here can relate! It's encouraging to know that we're not alone and other parents have gone through similar situations.
Yes, it's true; parenting is a whole new ball game when it comes to managing a child with additional needs. The struggles in public places are real, and I feel you on that! It's wonderful that you're working on communication, which is probably one of the most important aspects to focus on under such circumstances.

Does your little one receive any therapy or support from professionals? In Singapore, there are some fantastic organizations that can provide assistance and resources for parents in our situation. It's a great idea to reach out and tap on their expertise!

Yes, it's true; parenting is a whole new ball game when it comes to managing a child with additional needs. The struggles in public places are real, and I feel you on that! It's wonderful that you're working on communication, which is probably one of the most important aspects to focus on under such circumstances.

Does your little one receive any therapy or support from professionals? In Singapore, there are some fantastic organizations that can provide assistance and resources for parents in our situation. It's a great idea to reach out and tap on their expertise!
Yes, she's been seeing an occupational therapist weekly, which has helped us better understand her sensory challenges and gave us strategies to manage them. We also recently got her a developmental pediatrician who prescribed some medication that has helped calm her intense emotions a little. I feel so grateful for the professionals who lend us a helping hand!

I'm also heartened by the support groups I've found online, where mums like ourselves share our struggles and triumphs. It's reassuring to know we aren't alone in this complex journey.

Yes, she's been seeing an occupational therapist weekly, which has helped us better understand her sensory challenges and gave us strategies to manage them. We also recently got her a developmental pediatrician who prescribed some medication that has helped calm her intense emotions a little. I feel so grateful for the professionals who lend us a helping hand!

I'm also heartened by the support groups I've found online, where mums like ourselves share our struggles and triumphs. It's reassuring to know we aren't alone in this complex journey.
Online support groups are a godsend for parents like us; it's encouraging to have a community of understanding folks! Reassuring to hear that your little one is getting the professional support she needs too. Occupational therapy sounds spot on for her needs, and I hope the medication helps with emotional regulation - it's a tough part of the journey.

Have you also considered any parent training or counseling? Sometimes, we need help managing our own emotions and responses to our children's challenging behaviors, which can make us better role models for our kids! It's a reminder that as parents, we're always learning and should never hesitate to reach out for help - the right support can make a world of difference!

Online support groups are a godsend for parents like us; it's encouraging to have a community of understanding folks! Reassuring to hear that your little one is getting the professional support she needs too. Occupational therapy sounds spot on for her needs, and I hope the medication helps with emotional regulation - it's a tough part of the journey.

Have you also considered any parent training or counseling? Sometimes, we need help managing our own emotions and responses to our children's challenging behaviors, which can make us better role models for our kids! It's a reminder that as parents, we're always learning and should never hesitate to reach out for help - the right support can make a world of difference!
Parent training sounds like an excellent idea, especially to manage my own emotions when things get tough. I do think modeling good emotional regulation skills is going to be key for managing her expectations too. I'm definitely going to look into counseling options; it's heartening to hear your suggestions and know that you've found them helpful!

I've mostly relied on the help of medical professionals so far, but as my child grows, I realise that equipping myself with better parenting skills is equally important in this journey. Thanks for the suggestion!

We're lucky to have access to excellent early childhood intervention services through the government. My daughter receives support from an Early Intervention teacher who comes over once a week to guide us on addressing her sensory needs and developing her communication skills. She has also been attending a Speech and Drama class targeted at kids with special needs. This class has helped her speech and expression, and it's heartwarming to see her gain more confidence with each lesson.

I'm considering enrolling her in an occupational therapy program too, as recommended by our pediatrician, to help with her sensory integration difficulties. It's a lot to juggle alongside my work and personal commitments, but I remind myself that it'll be worth it!

We're lucky to have access to excellent early childhood intervention services through the government. My daughter receives support from an Early Intervention teacher who comes over once a week to guide us on addressing her sensory needs and developing her communication skills. She has also been attending a Speech and Drama class targeted at kids with special needs. This class has helped her speech and expression, and it's heartwarming to see her gain more confidence with each lesson.

I'm considering enrolling her in an occupational therapy program too, as recommended by our pediatrician, to help with her sensory integration difficulties. It's a lot to juggle alongside my work and personal commitments, but I remind myself that it'll be worth it!
That sounds like a comprehensive plan you have there! seeking professional help and accessing the right resources make a huge difference when managing a child with special needs. It's impressive how you're so organized and on top of things, especially with your work commitments.

Speech and drama for her expressive needs sound like great fun too! Does your daughter enjoy these sessions?

You're spot on about parent training. I've attended a few sessions which helped me learn how to manage my reactions especially when my emotions run high. Learning to keep calm and providing a safe environment for my child to express herself has been crucial, as meltowns can escalate quickly when left unchecked.

I'm glad you mentioned seeking help; it's so important yet often overlooked by parents who might fear judgment or feel embarrassed. We should remember that seeking help is a sign of strength! No one should have to struggle alone and reach burnout point. Fortunately, we have many resources available, so parents can get the support they need to stay strong and be the best caregivers possible.

It's heartwarming to see so many of us coming together here too; parenting struggles are more manageable when shared!

Having a supportive system in place is half the battle won, so you're on the right track! It's great that your daughter has access to fantastic intervention services and a Speech and Drama class catered to her needs - a fun way to improve her confidence.

I know it can be daunting managing your child's therapies alongside other life commitments, but it sounds like you have a good handle on things. occupational therapy can offer lots of helpful strategies, so do consider it! Also, remember that you're doing all this for the well-being and holistic development of your little one - kudos to you for being such a supportive mom!

• Love
Reactions: cissy

It certainly is a juggling act managing our kids' various appointments and our own commitments! Good on you for being proactive in seeking out these services; it's incredible the access we have to all these resources.

I'm glad your daughter is benefiting from her current programs and has gained confidence - that's wonderful news! Occupational therapy sounds like a great next step, especially if it's recommended by your pediatrician. It's amazing how much these services can help our little ones develop vital skills and manage their unique needs.

Like you said, it's definitely encouraging to know we're not alone in this - there's lots of help available, and experiences to learn from!

Having a supportive system in place is half the battle won, so you're on the right track! It's great that your daughter has access to fantastic intervention services and a Speech and Drama class catered to her needs - a fun way to improve her confidence.

I know it can be daunting managing your child's therapies alongside other life commitments, but it sounds like you have a good handle on things. occupational therapy can offer lots of helpful strategies, so do consider it! Also, remember that you're doing all this for the well-being and holistic development of your little one - kudos to you for being such a supportive mom!
It's reassuring to know that we've got some excellent early intervention services on our side. I'm going to check out the occupational therapy options soon; it's good to hear your thoughts on them as well. There's so much we have to juggle as parents, but thankfully we don't have to do it alone!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
That sounds like a comprehensive plan you have there! seeking professional help and accessing the right resources make a huge difference when managing a child with special needs. It's impressive how you're so organized and on top of things, especially with your work commitments.

Speech and drama for her expressive needs sound like great fun too! Does your daughter enjoy these sessions?
Yes, she does enjoy the speech and drama sessions! She makes little speeches at home now and practices her lines all week, it's adorable. She also loves the attention and sense of achievement from being onstage. I'm glad there are classes tailored to her needs.

It's reassuring to know that we've got some excellent early intervention services on our side. I'm going to check out the occupational therapy options soon; it's good to hear your thoughts on them as well. There's so much we have to juggle as parents, but thankfully we don't have to do it alone!
The sharing within this parent support group is heartfelt and invaluable. It's encouraging to hear how everyone copes with challenges and manages to find solutions or seeks help where needed. No parent should feel alone in this journey!

There are many challenges parents face in addition to early childhood intervention. One of them is managing our time effectively to ferry our children to and fro therapy and support classes. It is especially challenging when our children also have different schedules and needs! You're doing a fantastic job keeping on top of everything, and it's encouraging to hear other moms' experiences and reminders that we're not alone in this complex journey. There's always light at the end of the tunnel!

Have a great week ahead!

It certainly is a juggling act managing our kids' various appointments and our own commitments! Good on you for being proactive in seeking out these services; it's incredible the access we have to all these resources.

I'm glad your daughter is benefiting from her current programs and has gained confidence - that's wonderful news! Occupational therapy sounds like a great next step, especially if it's recommended by your pediatrician. It's amazing how much these services can help our little ones develop vital skills and manage their unique needs.

Like you said, it's definitely encouraging to know we're not alone in this - there's lots of help available, and experiences to learn from!
It is reassuring to know that there is a wide range of services available to help our children develop and thrive. I'm glad my daughter has benefited from the various programs designed to cater to her needs. Seeing her become more confident makes all the jugging worth it!

I agree with you that seeking help is a sign of strength, and no parent should feel embarrassed about it. We all want the best for our children and sometimes professional guidance and interventions make a huge difference. It's also helpful to know there are other parents going through similar experiences.

It is reassuring to know that there is a wide range of services available to help our children develop and thrive. I'm glad my daughter has benefited from the various programs designed to cater to her needs. Seeing her become more confident makes all the jugging worth it!

I agree with you that seeking help is a sign of strength, and no parent should feel embarrassed about it. We all want the best for our children and sometimes professional guidance and interventions make a huge difference. It's also helpful to know there are other parents going through similar experiences.
You're right; seeking help is a sign of strength, and it's a blessing to have access to so many resources. It's heartening to hear stories of other children benefiting from these services too - gives hope and encouragement!

There are many challenges parents face in addition to early childhood intervention. One of them is managing our time effectively to ferry our children to and fro therapy and support classes. It is especially challenging when our children also have different schedules and needs! You're doing a fantastic job keeping on top of everything, and it's encouraging to hear other moms' experiences and reminders that we're not alone in this complex journey. There's always light at the end of the tunnel!

Have a great week ahead!
You too! Have a fab weekend first!

Have a great week ahead!
There's always light at the end of the tunnel - a good reminder for all of us parents out there doing our best! Here's to a great week ahead. :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu