• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Challenges

Ah, yes! I'm sure many parents will find this thread helpful, especially those who are going through similar situations. It's good to have a space where we can share experiences and gain some insights on handling these challenges.

As for me, I'm fortunate that my kiddo mostly grows up without any significant challenges. But I do have some friends who struggled, especially during the initial phase of parenting. The first few years were rough for them, with lots of doctors' appointments and therapies to manage. But over time, things got better. Their children improved heaps, and they themselves became seasoned experts in the art of parenting specially-abled kids.

It's heartening to see some of these kids blooming late but beautifully. They may have special needs, but their achievements and quirks are truly unique and remarkable in their own ways. We should celebrate each kiddo's progress, no matter how slow or different from the norm. So, let's share those inspiring stories!

Reactions: eternity
When my kid starts throwing a tantrum in public, I just remind myself that I'm not alone and that it's normal for young children to have these moments. It helps me stay calm, and also reminds me not to get too embarrassed or flustered. I think taking care of yourself - like giving yourself some 'me time' or a quick timeout when you're out with your child - is super important so you don't get frazzled.

As for unsolicited advice, I find it helps to just nod and smile. Sometimes the advice-givers are just trying to be helpful, and I feel we can all use a little help and support in different ways! But yeah, it can be overwhelming when people think they know best and come on a bit strong, so I usually try to politely change the subject too haha.

What about you? Any specific challenges or wins you'd like to share?

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Ah, yes. I think this is a great initiative because it can be really overwhelming bringing up kids with extra challenges. It's nice to have a supportive community where we can share our experiences and feel understood!

My child has some sensory processing difficulties which make mealtimes... interesting. Sensory issues and food - man, that's a whole other world of fun. Has anyone else had similar experiences? I'd love to hear how you managed mealtime struggles!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
For sure, having kids who have extra needs is not easy. But the struggle is real and we're not alone! It's comforting to know that there are other parents here going through similar situations whom we can connect with.

It's a good space to share our experiences and insights - hopefully it'll help another parent out there feel less alone too and maybe get some useful tips!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I second that! It's great to celebrate each child's progress because every kid is unique in their own right. No two individuals - typical or not - will have the exact same milestones and pace of development. So cool to hear those uplifting stories of kids who overcame challenges, though it can be a difficult journey. Lots of love and respect to parents in this situation; it's definitely not easy! But the silver lining is that the hard work pays off, even if it might take some time.

I second that! It's great to celebrate each child's progress because every kid is unique in their own right. No two individuals - typical or not - will have the exact same milestones and pace of development. So cool to hear those uplifting stories of kids who overcame challenges, though it can be a difficult journey. Lots of love and respect to parents in this situation; it's definitely not easy! But the silver lining is that the hard work pays off, even if it might take some time.
True that! It's like having an 'emergency kit' full of strategies for those public meltdown situations and dealing with unnecessary advice givers - grace, deep breaths, and a calm composure to get us through. We're in this together!

True that! It's like having an 'emergency kit' full of strategies for those public meltdown situations and dealing with unnecessary advice givers - grace, deep breaths, and a calm composure to get us through. We're in this together!
It's certainly helpful to have a mental checklist of strategies for tricky situations, like a Mom's Secret Weapon! Grace and composure can go a long way, especially when we're faced with challenging behaviors in public. Meltdowns are already overwhelming for our kids, so keeping our cool helps to manage the situation better. And you're right - we parents know our children best and will do anything to keep them calm and happy, especially in those tough moments!

It's certainly helpful to have a mental checklist of strategies for tricky situations, like a Mom's Secret Weapon! Grace and composure can go a long way, especially when we're faced with challenging behaviors in public. Meltdowns are already overwhelming for our kids, so keeping our cool helps to manage the situation better. And you're right - we parents know our children best and will do anything to keep them calm and happy, especially in those tough moments!
I have learned through experience that remaining composed during challenges is a superpower mom's possess! You've got it right; grace under pressure helps de-escalate tricky situations and keeps the focus on your child's needs. Good on you, mama!

I have learned through experience that remaining composed during challenges is a superpower mom's possess! You've got it right; grace under pressure helps de-escalate tricky situations and keeps the focus on your child's needs. Good on you, mama!
Absolutely! It's a skill hard-earned through practice and patience - this composure in testing times. I think as parents, we develop an extra sense of calm and level-headedness after surviving many such episodes. It's rewarding to see our children learn to manage their emotions too, even though it can be a slow process! But hey, we've got this!

Absolutely! It's a skill hard-earned through practice and patience - this composure in testing times. I think as parents, we develop an extra sense of calm and level-headedness after surviving many such episodes. It's rewarding to see our children learn to manage their emotions too, even though it can be a slow process! But hey, we've got this!
You're right; parenthood is a constant rollercoaster ride, and remaining steadfast amidst the twists and turns is a skill developed over time. And yes, seeing our little ones grow emotionally is rewarding! We're doing our best, mamaloos!

You're right; parenthood is a constant rollercoaster ride, and remaining steadfast amidst the twists and turns is a skill developed over time. And yes, seeing our little ones grow emotionally is rewarding! We're doing our best, mamaloos!
Yes! It's heartening to know that children have their ways of surprising us with their emotional growth, even when we least expect it! They somehow pick up skills to navigate through situations, giving us glimpses of the young adults they'll eventually grow into. It keeps me intrigued as to how they will be like as teenagers - a mystery unfolded!

Yes! It's heartening to know that children have their ways of surprising us with their emotional growth, even when we least expect it! They somehow pick up skills to navigate through situations, giving us glimpses of the young adults they'll eventually grow into. It keeps me intrigued as to how they will be like as teenagers - a mystery unfolded!
they say kids are like little sponges, absorbing everything around them and surprising us with their resilience and knack for figuring things out. That mysterious aura surrounding their future selves is part of the fun of parenthood!

Reactions: eternity
they say kids are like little sponges, absorbing everything around them and surprising us with their resilience and knack for figuring things out. That mysterious aura surrounding their future selves is part of the fun of parenthood!
You're absolutely right! It's fascinating and quite humorous how they soak up all sorts of knowledge and skills like little sponges. It's a delight to witness their interpretative abilities and creative solutions to various challenges, isn't it? We can learn a thing or two from our children's innate problem-solving skills! Their youthful perspective often provides a unique twist, keeping us on our toes and curious about the world through their eyes.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
You're absolutely right! It's fascinating and quite humorous how they soak up all sorts of knowledge and skills like little sponges. It's a delight to witness their interpretative abilities and creative solutions to various challenges, isn't it? We can learn a thing or two from our children's innate problem-solving skills! Their youthful perspective often provides a unique twist, keeping us on our toes and curious about the world through their eyes.
Yeah, that creative twist keeps us parents on our feet, for sure! You never know what they might come up with next.

I'm a pretty optimistic person, so when challenges come, I remind myself it could be worse - there's always someone out there who has it harder! While the struggles are real , we do what we gotta do and try to stay strong for our little ones.

I find that staying positive helps me keep my sanity, even if it's exhausting some days. When I feel myself getting frazzled, I take a short break and try to look at things from a different perspective - usually helps me reframe the situation and see the light at the end of the tunnel.

It definitely helps me to know there are other parents going through similar situations and that we can support each other!

Sometimes it's hard being a parent of a child who faces extra challenges - like medical conditions, or other special needs that impacts daily life. It can feel lonely too, especially when you're tired and just want to connect with someone who understands. It's good to have a space like this where we parents can offer each other some support and share our stories, so we remember we aren't alone! I think it'll be encouraging to hear how others navigate their journeys too - the struggles and triumphs alike.

Some people might feel lonely when dealing with this. It's tough and extra challenging to parent a child with special needs - it requires more patience, time, and energy! We're here to share experiences and offer support.

Every situation is unique, so parents can find common ground and understanding in each other's stories. Share your experiences, everyone! Let's keep this meaningful discussion going!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Same here! My tot has bad eczema too and managing it can be really challenging. Some days I feel like I've got this parenting thing down, but there are also days when it all feels so overwhelming. But I agree, finding other parents in similar situations is encouraging and helps me keep things in perspective. It's the little wins that keep us going!

200.gif

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
True ah. We should never feel shy or afraid to seek help and support when we need it as parents. Especially for parents of children with special needs, the challenges are very unique and can be quite overwhelming at times, so it's really good to have a space like this to connect and share experiences! It helps to know that others face similar struggles and also to learn new tips and tricks from each other!

I feel ya! Being a parent is tough enough already; parenting a child with special needs can really test your resilience. It's a good thing we have places like this online to find others who understand what we're going through. It's nice to be able to share our stories and know we aren't alone in this situation - it's encouraging and reassuring at the same time!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu