• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Children With Challenges

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely! It's heartening to see many parents come together to share their challenges and triumphs, knowing that they aren't alone in the journey of parenting specially-abled children. It can feel overwhelming at times, but there's comfort in knowing that others are navigating similar paths with resilience and hope - it's uplifting to hear these inspiring stories and practical strategies!

I especially appreciate mamamia's suggestion to keep a 'me time' and a quick timeout when faced with public tantrums. It's so important to take care of ourselves as parents, because we can't pour from an empty cup! Also, maintaining composure during meltdowns and having that 'emergency kit' full of strategies is key - lioness, you've got a point there! Grace under pressure makes us better equipped to manage tricky situations.

This discussion reminds me that we're all in this together and there's strength in our shared experiences. It's wonderful to have a supportive community where we can offer each other some understanding and encouragement. Keep those stories coming, everyone - they're a blessing to read and super helpful for us all!

This thread is for parents who have children with any kind of special need, whether medical, cognitive, behavioral, emotional, or anything else that makes parenting an extra challenging task.

It can be isolating being the parent of a child with specific challenges - this is a place to find understanding and support from others in similar situations. Share your experiences and advice here!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Not easy being a parent to kids with special needs man. Can be super challenging and tiring, especially when you're facing all these alone. But we're here to give each other support, so feel free to share your experiences and struggles!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
This thread is for parents who have children with any kind of special need, whether medical, cognitive, behavioral, emotional, or anything else that makes parenting an extra challenging task.

It can be isolating being the parent of a child with specific challenges - this is a place to find understanding and support from others in similar situations. Share your experiences and advice here!
My kid has pretty bad eczema and has seen a few doctors but it's still tough to manage. Some days are better than others; on good days I feel like myself again, then on the bad ones - well, let's just say I get reminded why they call it "special" needs!

It helps when you find another parent who gets what you're going through. You end up focusing less on the negative stuff and more on the positives in life, including your kid's unique and wonderful characteristics.

200.gif

My kid has pretty bad eczema and has seen a few doctors but it's still tough to manage. Some days are better than others; on good days I feel like myself again, then on the bad ones - well, let's just say I get reminded why they call it "special" needs!

It helps when you find another parent who gets what you're going through. You end up focusing less on the negative stuff and more on the positives in life, including your kid's unique and wonderful characteristics.

200.gif
Oh boy, eczema can be a real headache! My child also has severe skin issues and I know how unpredictable and frustrating it can be. One day they're all smiles and clear skin, the next their complexion is flair-ing up like Mount Etna.

It's great that you're seeking support from other parents; sometimes, it's the best way to get through the tough times. And in those good moments with your child, it's a nice reminder of the beauty of parenting, isn't it?

I hope that you'll find some valuable insights and encouragement here in this group!

I have a couple of close friends whose children face some challenges, so I can kinda get how difficult and exhausting it can be at times for the parents. It's like climbing an never-ending mountain, right? But then again, there's also so much love and joy that comes with raising these special kids, which often makes it all worthwhile in the end.

It's great we have this space to share our experiences and remind ourselves that we're not alone in this!

Some days you just feel so tired, man. Parenting kids is tough; parenting kids with additional challenges seems like a whole other level of difficulty! It's really great that we can come together and seek understanding and encouragement from each other here.

Share your experiences, the good and the bad, and let's support one another!

200.gif

Some days you just feel so tired, man. Parenting kids is tough; parenting kids with additional challenges seems like a whole other level of difficulty! It's really great that we can come together and seek understanding and encouragement from each other here.

Share your experiences, the good and the bad, and let's support one another!

200.gif
Some days really blue, man. We're tired, but still, we soldier on, right? Our kids are the greatest blessing, and they make us proud everyday despite the challenges. We do our best and know that it's all worth it in the end.

Some days really blue, man. We're tired, but still, we soldier on, right? Our kids are the greatest blessing, and they make us proud everyday despite the challenges. We do our best and know that it's all worth it in the end.
I get those blue feelings too, like being stuck in a toddler tantrum phase forever! But you're right; our kids' achievements, no matter how small, brighten up our days and give us that much-needed boost to carry on. We've got this, mama!

Are there specific challenges or topics related to parenting challenges that anyone would like to discuss further? I feel like sharing experiences could help us all.

I get those blue feelings too, like being stuck in a toddler tantrum phase forever! But you're right; our kids' achievements, no matter how small, brighten up our days and give us that much-needed boost to carry on. We've got this, mama!

Are there specific challenges or topics related to parenting challenges that anyone would like to discuss further? I feel like sharing experiences could help us all.
You said it, sister! It's like we're in the same boat, rowing through stormy waters, but we're not alone. Sharing these experiences strengthens us and reminds us we're not struggling by ourselves.
I find handling meltdowns and maintaining my patience as a challenge, especially when they happen in public. You never know how others will react and it's so embarrassing! It's also difficult when well-meaning relatives offer unsolicited advice.

You said it, sister! It's like we're in the same boat, rowing through stormy waters, but we're not alone. Sharing these experiences strengthens us and reminds us we're not struggling by ourselves.
I find handling meltdowns and maintaining my patience as a challenge, especially when they happen in public. You never know how others will react and it's so embarrassing! It's also difficult when well-meaning relatives offer unsolicited advice.
Oh gosh, yes! We do tend to feel the pressure when our kids throw tantrums in public. The worried glances from strangers can be so uncomfortable!

I find that taking a deep breath and reminding myself that this too shall pass helps me to stay calm during public meltdowns. I also make sure to give myself some grace - it's ok if my child is having a moment and it doesn't reflect poorly on my parenting abilities. As for unsolicited advice, I just try to smile politely and nod, sometimes murmuring a 'thanks' before changing the subject.

What strategies do others use to keep your cool during trying times?

Oh gosh, yes! We do tend to feel the pressure when our kids throw tantrums in public. The worried glances from strangers can be so uncomfortable!

I find that taking a deep breath and reminding myself that this too shall pass helps me to stay calm during public meltdowns. I also make sure to give myself some grace - it's ok if my child is having a moment and it doesn't reflect poorly on my parenting abilities. As for unsolicited advice, I just try to smile politely and nod, sometimes murmuring a 'thanks' before changing the subject.

What strategies do others use to keep your cool during trying times?
Grace and deep breaths are getting us somewhere! It's tough, but I try to remember that my kids are individuals with their own feelings and experiences, and it's ok for them to have bad days or be difficult sometimes. When people offer advice, especially the elderly folks from the community who seem to think that every child is the same and parenting comes naturally, it can be irritating, but I just remind myself that they mean well. Their words may not hurt so much if we've sought support elsewhere and know we're not alone in our struggles.

Reactions: joyful
I have a few friends who are parents in such situations and my heart goes out to them.

Having patience and spreading lots of love to the little ones seems to be the formula that helps get through the harder times, based on their experiences. It's definitely not easy - but the joy and bond formed from overcoming challenges together is extra special!

200.gif

Sometimes it's so difficult when our children have challenges that other folks don't seem to understand. And yeah, skin issues are such a headache - one day they're fine, the next day it's like the volcano's erupted!

It's comforting to know there's a supportive group of parents here who get it and can offer advice. We all need that reassurance that we're not alone in this situation!

Sometimes it's so difficult when our children have challenges that other folks don't seem to understand. And yeah, skin issues are such a headache - one day they're fine, the next day it's like the volcano's erupted!

It's comforting to know there's a supportive group of parents here who get it and can offer advice. We all need that reassurance that we're not alone in this situation!
True that! We're here for each other and it's good to know there's a safe space for parents like us. It can get overwhelming - our kids' conditions are unique in so many ways and it's not something folks without firsthand experience can easily grasp. But we keep pushing on, doing our best as always.

I find that being a part of a community like this helps me to not feel so alone in the struggles, 'cause boy oh boy, do I need some reassurance at times!

True that! We're here for each other and it's good to know there's a safe space for parents like us. It can get overwhelming - our kids' conditions are unique in so many ways and it's not something folks without firsthand experience can easily grasp. But we keep pushing on, doing our best as always.

I find that being a part of a community like this helps me to not feel so alone in the struggles, 'cause boy oh boy, do I need some reassurance at times!
It's great that we can rely on each other for some moral support - parenting is tough work, and when our kids have additional needs, it's doubly so! No amount of explanations or analogies seem to help those without experience understand the struggles we go through. But we know best what our kids need and that itself gives us the strength to keep going.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Yeah it can feel quite overwhelming at times. But I think having a strong support group really helps. We can share our experiences and learn from one another! Like how do you guys manage your stress when your kids have meltdowns in public? Mine's had a couple and it's scary seeing him so worked up. I usually just try to distract him with his favorite shows on my phone but some of the other parents at the park gave me the dirtiest looks man... Like they never had kids who throw tantrums before. Smh.

Reactions: mamamia
It's tough but rewarding being a parent to kids with challenges. I've seen some parents going through this journey quietly and managing it well, while some struggle openly, which is perfectly fine too!

The key thing is not to feel isolated and reach out when needed - parenting is hard work regardless, so more so with additional challenges. It's good to have a space like this to seek understanding and share experiences.

Share our tactics and strategies for keeping sanity and perspective while parenting these amazing kids would be great!

Ya, I totally agree! It's like having a supportive crew aboard our boat - makes it so much easier to keep going, knowing there are others who get it!

The public meltdown situations are so tricky - you never know how folks around you will react. I find keeping a calm composure and just quietly addressing my kid helps sometimes. But it's so hard not to feel embarrassed, man. It's like your mom brain goes into overdrive in those moments, right? You're trying to stay patient and keep everyone safe while processing a million possible ways to defuse the situation.

And ah, the relatives! Their advice can be super annoying but like you said, their hearts are in the right place most of the time. I find it helps to just nod and smile . Grace, man, lots of grace for ourselves - we know our kids best and are doing our best!

It's really tough being a parent of a child who faces additional challenges – the struggle is real! But this community can be a great source of comfort and encouragement, knowing we aren't alone in this situation. Share our experiences, the good and the bad, and keep the conversation going! It'll help us feel not so isolated and uplift each other too.

200.gif

It's definitely not easy being a parent to children with challenges, so it's great to have a safe space like this to seek understanding and support! We're all in this together and can definitely benefit from sharing our experiences and wisdom!

Do share your stories, the unique challenges you face, and also your go-to strategies for managing them! It's heartening to know we're not alone in this journey and that there's a whole community of supportive parents out there!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu