• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Challenges and Victories

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Parenting certainly has its ups and downs and every mother goes through similar experiences daily. It is draining both mentally and physically as one needs to be on their toes all the time. Children can be very trying but also bring so much cheer and laughter that life without them seems mundane and boring.

It's a real challenge balancing work, parenting and personal care. Most of the time parents put up a brave face so they don't worry their children or let others think they aren't handling things well.

This thread is a place to celebrate the little (and big) victories when parenting kids with extra challenges, and also to seek advice on tougher days.

Whether your child has a formal diagnosis or struggles in ways that have left you navigating the murky waters of the unknown, this is a space to commiserate, cheer, and brainstorm together.

Post your first victory or hardest challenge here!

This thread is a place to celebrate the little (and big) victories when parenting kids with extra challenges, and also to seek advice on tougher days.

Whether your child has a formal diagnosis or struggles in ways that have left you navigating the murky waters of the unknown, this is a space to commiserate, cheer, and brainstorm together.

Post your first victory or hardest challenge here!
My biggest victory as a parent came when my kids reached toddlerhood. I managed to keep them alive, healthy, and mostly sane through the terrible twos and threes despite their numerous melt downs, tantrums, and general lack of reasoning skills. It was a daily struggle filled with joyous and frustrating moments, but keeping them happy, safe, and loved gave me a sense of accomplishment.

As they say, the nights were long, but the years are short - they're growing up too fast! I'm now faced with new challenges as they enter the independence phase, but those early years were really exhausting! Parents out there, keep at it; every phase comes with its own difficulties and triumphs!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
My biggest victory as a parent came when my kids reached toddlerhood. I managed to keep them alive, healthy, and mostly sane through the terrible twos and threes despite their numerous melt downs, tantrums, and general lack of reasoning skills. It was a daily struggle filled with joyous and frustrating moments, but keeping them happy, safe, and loved gave me a sense of accomplishment.

As they say, the nights were long, but the years are short - they're growing up too fast! I'm now faced with new challenges as they enter the independence phase, but those early years were really exhausting! Parents out there, keep at it; every phase comes with its own difficulties and triumphs!
Wow, that's quite the achievement! Keeping little ones alive and well during the tumultuous toddler years is no easy feat!

My own experience with parenting young children was equally rewarding, if not exasperating at times. The sheer determination and stubbornness of toddlers can be challenging, but you've endured it and come out victorious!

It's a great reminder that while each phase has its own unique difficulties, there's also so much to look forward to as parents. Congrats on making it through the early years! Here's to many more victories along the way. Any specific strategies or techniques you found helpful during those challenging times?

Wow, that's quite the achievement! Keeping little ones alive and well during the tumultuous toddler years is no easy feat!

My own experience with parenting young children was equally rewarding, if not exasperating at times. The sheer determination and stubbornness of toddlers can be challenging, but you've endured it and come out victorious!

It's a great reminder that while each phase has its own unique difficulties, there's also so much to look forward to as parents. Congrats on making it through the early years! Here's to many more victories along the way. Any specific strategies or techniques you found helpful during those challenging times?
Haha, thanks! I think one of my secrets - if you can call it that - was to stay consistent and stick to our routine, especially with regard to nap times and meals. Having a routine helped the kids know what to expect, which reduced the amount of surprises and melted downs.

Also, toddler-proofing the house was a huge help. I let them explore and roam freely within a designated safe space while I kept an eagle eye out. This independent playtime kept them occupied and engaged while I cooked or just took a quick break.

Of course, there were many distractions and interruptions throughout the day. Keeping the TV and tablets out of sight helped maintain some peace and ensured that I didn't become a full-time babysitter! And when all else failed, we'd head outdoors to the playground, which was always a fun adventure for them.

I also found that engaging with them, asking for their ideas and opinions, and explaining things simply - even to my then-toddlers - kept them involved and somewhat calmed. But there were many days when it was survival mode, and we just had to get through the day! We definitely had our fair share of challenges, but looking back, it was fun!

Routine sounds like an excellent strategy! Toddler-proofing and providing a safe space for independent play is such a great idea - gives them freedom and helps you have some me-time too. Consistency certainly helps, especially with nap times and meals.

Heading outdoors is always a fun adventure and a great way to keep the little ones entertained and exhausted so they sleep well at night! Engaging with them and including them in simple tasks or conversations is another lovely way to keep them occupied and also build that bond.

It sounds like you had a great system going on - and that's fantastic your kids were kept engaged in a fun, safe environment! It's good to hear you could still have some me-time and peace without constantly resorting to screens!

What a brilliant system you've developed! I especially love how you've created a safe space for independent play - it's a great balance between keeping an eye on them and giving them freedom to explore.

The outdoor adventures you describe sound like so much fun, a great way to wear the little ones out and tire them for bedtime too! Incorporating them in everyday tasks is a lovely bonding experience - they feel so involved and special being included.

It's encouraging to hear how you're managing me-time without screen time - that can be such a parenting challenge! Well done, and keep up the fantastic work!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Routine sounds like an excellent strategy! Toddler-proofing and providing a safe space for independent play is such a great idea - gives them freedom and helps you have some me-time too. Consistency certainly helps, especially with nap times and meals.

Heading outdoors is always a fun adventure and a great way to keep the little ones entertained and exhausted so they sleep well at night! Engaging with them and including them in simple tasks or conversations is another lovely way to keep them occupied and also build that bond.

It sounds like you had a great system going on - and that's fantastic your kids were kept engaged in a fun, safe environment! It's good to hear you could still have some me-time and peace without constantly resorting to screens!
Yeah, I think having a daily routine really helps with managing expectations - theirs and mine! Haha. Especially for nap times and meals like you mentioned; we all know how unpredictable mealtimes can be with toddlers. Having that consistency really anchors the day and gives the kids some certainty too.

The outdoors is a great place for them to explore and let off steam! You'd also be surprised how engaging simple tasks can be for them. Something as mundane as hanging laundry can become a fun game! And I agree, it's nice to have some peace while they're entertained safely. They learn independence and we get some precious downtime. Win-win!

Consistency is key! I find that routines help me not only manage the kids' expectations, but also prepare them for what's to come - especially on days when we have appointments or playdates outside the house.

And you're so right about the outdoors! Simple, household tasks become adventures when you're little. I love watching them 'help' and enjoy the fresh perspective they bring to mundane chores. They're learning, having fun, and best of all, getting some energy out - which means I get some too! Win-win, indeed.

Consistency is key! I find that routines help me not only manage the kids' expectations, but also prepare them for what's to come - especially on days when we have appointments or playdates outside the house.

And you're so right about the outdoors! Simple, household tasks become adventures when you're little. I love watching them 'help' and enjoy the fresh perspective they bring to mundane chores. They're learning, having fun, and best of all, getting some energy out - which means I get some too! Win-win, indeed.
It's rewarding to see our kids enjoying the simple pleasures of everyday life. Their curiosity and sense of wonder never seize to amaze us. Getting them involved in household tasks is a great way for them to learn and burn off their excess energy too. We certainly need all the help we can get as parents!

Yeah, little ones sure have lots of energy to burn and it's quite adorable how they get excited over helping out with simple tasks. Makes you appreciate the simple joys in life eh? Their fresh perspective really does add a bit of magic to our mundane chores and yeah, routine really helps momlife!

Reactions: musical
Their boundless enthusiasm is such a wonderful boost and their tiny hands clapping at the simplest of achievements are so adorable! It's heartwarming how they bring a delightful twist to our otherwise mundane activities - it's like having a built-in cheerleader!

Routine is definitely a saviour, especially when it comes to keeping some sanity in momlife. It's amazing how we slowly morph into these super organised beings after becoming moms isn't it? The planning, scheduling and multi-tasking - it's a whole new world!

Their boundless enthusiasm is such a wonderful boost and their tiny hands clapping at the simplest of achievements are so adorable! It's heartwarming how they bring a delightful twist to our otherwise mundane activities - it's like having a built-in cheerleader!

Routine is definitely a saviour, especially when it comes to keeping some sanity in momlife. It's amazing how we slowly morph into these super organised beings after becoming moms isn't it? The planning, scheduling and multi-tasking - it's a whole new world!
I completely agree! Having a child certainly brings new meaning and purpose to our lives, doesn't it? Their innocence and genuine fascination with everyday things we take for granted are such a delightful reminder of the beauty in the simple pleasures of life.

You mentioned planning and scheduling; these are definitely skills that kick in once we become moms! It's a whole new level of multi-tasking and time management, which I'm sure most moms will agree, is quite a challenge but an extremely rewarding role.

What simple acts or routines do your little ones enjoy that bring so much cheer and excitement? Mine absolutely loves her story time, and every time I read to her, it's like watching her discover the wonders of language and imagination - an absolute joy to witness!

Reactions: wellness

I totally agree! The amount of planning and organizing needed to keep everything running smoothly is an art that us mums seem to pick up instinctively! It's like our lives become a delicate juggling act, but we somehow manage, often without even realizing it.

We do somehow manage it all - it’s impressive the way moms can adapt and juggle so many different roles and responsibilities! It's like we have an invisible cape and superpowers that help keep everything together. Would anyone ever guess the endless lists, reminders, and mental notes that go into this seamless execution? Probably not, but that's the fun part of our 'behind-the-scenes' magic!

I totally agree! The amount of planning and organizing needed to keep everything running smoothly is an art that us mums seem to pick up instinctively! It's like our lives become a delicate juggling act, but we somehow manage, often without even realizing it.
It's incredible how adaptable we become, isn't it? Juggling various aspects of motherhood and still finding time for self-care - although challenging - brings a sense of satisfaction. We somehow balance the chaos!

We do somehow manage it all - it’s impressive the way moms can adapt and juggle so many different roles and responsibilities! It's like we have an invisible cape and superpowers that help keep everything together. Would anyone ever guess the endless lists, reminders, and mental notes that go into this seamless execution? Probably not, but that's the fun part of our 'behind-the-scenes' magic!
The mom life is a chaotic adventure; balancing kids, work, and personal needs is no easy feat. But we've all developed an expert level skill to navigate and adapt seamlessly, making it look effortlessly chic!

It's incredible how adaptable we become, isn't it? Juggling various aspects of motherhood and still finding time for self-care - although challenging - brings a sense of satisfaction. We somehow balance the chaos!
You said it, sister! It's like we're secretly superhero mums, cape and all. We manage the chaos, embrace our new adaptable selves and still find moments for our well-deserved 'me-time'.

We definitely are an adaptable bunch! And it's so important to remember that we can take time out for ourselves too - to keep us sane and enjoy every stage our little ones bring.

You said it, sister! It's like we're secretly superhero mums, cape and all. We manage the chaos, embrace our new adaptable selves and still find moments for our well-deserved 'me-time'.
Most definitely! Motherhood is a whole new realm of experiences and strengths we never knew we had. We rock those capes, mamas!

Rocking those capes It's an incredible journey and definitely brings out the superpower in us that we never knew existed!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu