• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nutritional Ideas for Little Ones

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas on how to introduce and incorporate more nutrient-dense foods into my little one's diet. She's currently on a mixture of breastmilk and pureed veggies, but I'd like to phase out the latter as her solid food intake increases.

What are some healthy first foods that you recommend? Should I be focusing on single-ingredient purees, mixed fruit and veggie combinations, or something entirely different? Has anyone else had success with particular nutritional supplements or pre-blended mixes for little ones? What are some clever ways to make mealtime more engaging and less formulaic? I'm eager to hear your thoughts!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
I was a big fan of making mixed fruit and veggie combinations for my little one, especially as she got older. We'd try to make different flavors each day by blending together seasonal fruits like peaches, pears, or berries with steamed veggies like carrots, sweet potatoes, or green beans. Some favorite combos in the past have been apples with zucchini, pears with peas, and bananas with avocado.

As you're looking for single-ingredient purees, my personal recommendation would be to start introducing different types of legumes, such as lentils and chickpeas. These are nutrient-dense sources of protein and can help support healthy development in little ones. Also consider adding nut-based butter and seeds like sunflower or pumpkin - these provide excellent omegas.

When planning meals for my baby girl, I found it super helpful to think about flavors that would go well with what she's used to eating from breastmilk and formula. For instance, when introducing mixed veggies we started pairing them with mashed sweet potatoes or whole-grain cereals, which she loved. The way we prep our little one's meals in my family is more so centered around mixing foods together rather than serving separate ones.

I think introducing legumes and healthy fats early on can also make for a great starting point since they provide such essential nutrients. I've had success with mixing pureed green peas with mashed avocado and sometimes adding in some of the nut butters my baby girl loves.

It's been helpful to observe how she reacts to different flavors, as this has given me an understanding of what ingredients work well together for her taste buds. My next goal would be to explore other types of nutrient-dense foods that can contribute to her balanced diet!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu