• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nutrition for Littles

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What kinds of healthy and nutritious meals do you prepare for your littles?
My toddler has always been a great eater, but I'm always looking to mix it up and make sure they're getting a well rounded diet. Looking to hear some go-to meals or snacks people have!

Some things that have worked for us:
- Fruit and veg "paints" with dip. Cut up all sorts of fruits and veggies into finger foods, serve with a side of low fat yogurt or ranch for dipping. The kids like it because they get to pick their colors and it's fun! I like it cause it's quick to prep, and we can talk about the different colors and how they make us strong while we play.
- Homemade "lunchable". Again, quick and easy to throw together and make it a meal - some cold cuts of meat and cheese, crackers or crispbreads, slices of tomato or cucumber, carrot sticks, raisins or other dried fruits, etc. The kiddo gets to arrange it all on their plate like a picnic.
- Pasta necklaces. Cook pasta (we use those small shell shapes), let them thread it onto a piece of string while chatting about the colors and textures, then wear the "necklace" while snacking throughout the day - seems to make plain old pasta exciting! Then you can store the extra in the fridge for later too.
- "Ninja" smoothies - we blend up some frozen fruits (blueberries, strawberries, bananas), a handful of spinach (they don't see it!) and some yogurt with a splash of milk, and serve it in a fun cup with a straw. My kiddo likes helping assemble the ingredients and push the blend button - then we talk about how strong the blender is making the smoothie and how it's like drinking liquid health!
Just a few ideas to get us started! What are your go-to nutritious meals or snacks for the little ones? Any creative ways to make eating healthy foods fun?

Some great ideas you have there!

We do a lot of wraps with veggies and hummus, also cut up veggies with different dips - hummus, tzatziki, even guacamole - seem to be a winner with the dip being the incentive to eat the healthy stuff!

My one is a big fan of sushi, so we often do homemade sushi rolls with rice, avocado, cucumber, carrot and a smear of sweet chili sauce. We make them into little bite-size pieces so it's fun for her.

Also mini pizza using pita bread as the base, with lots of colorful veggies like mushrooms, peppers, and tomatoes on top - they can also help choose the toppings and cook the pizza in the oven which is fun!

'Ants on a log' is another favorite - celery with peanut butter filled inside and topped with raisins, or use yogurt instead of pb if preferred.

And for a sweet treat we do frozen yogurt popsicles - just whizz some fruit and yogurt together and freeze in molds; great for hot days!

Keep the fun and healthy eats coming!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and techsavvy
What fantastic, healthy options! The sushi and pizza ideas are such great ways to get kids involved in the kitchen too - fun for them and a helpful teaching opportunity. Love the sweetness of the ants on a log idea, too! And the frozen yogurt popsicles are an awesome, healthy treat. So many great ideas!

Sushi and pizza making can be a lot of fun and it's a great way to get some extra nutrition into the meal too - like adding spinach to the pizza base or making a rainbow pizza! Anything to get them involved and excited about cooking is a win! The popsicles are a great healthy treat - especially on a hot day.

Sushi and pizza making can be a lot of fun and it's a great way to get some extra nutrition into the meal too - like adding spinach to the pizza base or making a rainbow pizza! Anything to get them involved and excited about cooking is a win! The popsicles are a great healthy treat - especially on a hot day.
Yum, that sounds delicious! I haven't thought of adding spinach to the pizza dough, what a clever way to get some extra greens in! My little one would love the rainbow pizza idea too, she's such a fuss-free eater, thank goodness!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Yum, that sounds delicious! I haven't thought of adding spinach to the pizza dough, what a clever way to get some extra greens in! My little one would love the rainbow pizza idea too, she's such a fuss-free eater, thank goodness!
You're lucky your kid isn't finicky about food. Most parents will do almost anything to get their picky toddlers to eat healthily. Hiding spinach is clever - the colour doesn't scare them away and it's nutritious too.

Lucky It's a relief to find an easy way to sneak veggies into my kid's meals. I usually blend some carrots into the sauces or make 'em some pasta sauce with hidden zucchini. Sometimes, I even add some pureed sweet potatoes to the rice for some extra nutrition. But spinach is a great idea too!

Those are some clever ways to incorporate veggies! My go-to has always been blending spinach into smoothies, but I'm definitely going to start trying out these new methods, thanks!

Happy to share! Blending veggies into smoothies is a great way to disguise them - you'd never know there's spinach in there! Let me know if you find any new tasty combinations!

Veggie smoothies are an excellent trick to get some extra nutrition into littles without a struggle! A friend of mine swears by frozen cauliflower - apparently it gives the smoothie a creamy texture and is tasteless. Also, ice-cold smoothies might be more appealing to littles who are suspicious of veggies.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Great tip about the frozen cauliflower! I'll have to try that. My go-to smoothie add-in is actually frozen spinach - it's so mild that the taste doesn't overpower the rest of the smoothie, and it's such a nutrient powerhouse that it makes me feel good about what the kids are drinking. And green smoothies can be fun and appealing too! I usually do banana, spinach, milk, and some sort of juice for sweetness (orange or mango work well) and the kids seem to love the tropical treat.

Reactions: koala and travelmum
Frozen spinach is an excellent addition! It's impressive how its mild taste can sneak in extra nutrition without being too noticeable for little palates.

Using frozen cauliflower along with some frozen berries and bananas can also create a deliciously sweet smoothie experience while sneaking in some veggies. It's quite amazing what we can sneak into these tasty treats!

What brilliant ideas! I love how versatile frozen spinach and cauliflower are, especially as they're so easily accessible. It's a genius way to add nutrition without compromising taste - the key to keeping littles happy and healthy. The possibilities with smoothie combinations are endless!

Genius - versatility is key when catering to little ones! You've got to disguise nutrition as fun, haha! Some great ideas being shared here :)

• Love
Reactions: koala
So true, we're loving all these sneaky ways to get some nutritious foods in there!

That's awesome! What are some of the creative strategies you've used to make nutrition fun?

As parents, we're always looking for new ideas so keep those clever ones coming!

That's awesome! What are some of the creative strategies you've used to make nutrition fun?

As parents, we're always looking for new ideas so keep those clever ones coming!
I once made vegetable prints with my kids. We carved up some potatoes and stamped the slices onto some tofu to make it look like a funny face. Then, we added some herbs for hair and a sauce mustache. My kids loved making and then eating their cute "Tofu Babies."

I turn mealtimes into a game! For instance, making vegetable eating fun with 'Mr. Carrot Orange' - a superhero who saves the day by giving us superpowers with his mighty carrots! Also, using cookie cutters to make adorable shapes out of fruit and veggies. Making nutritious foods exciting and appealing to kids is half the battle won!

I once made vegetable prints with my kids. We carved up some potatoes and stamped the slices onto some tofu to make it look like a funny face. Then, we added some herbs for hair and a sauce mustache. My kids loved making and then eating their cute "Tofu Babies."
Cute! I might try this with my little one! We love creating fun meals with hidden nutrition. It's a great way to expose them to different textures and flavors, especially if they're usually picky about their food.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu