• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Slumber

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are many ways that people prepare their rooms and themselves to have a good night's sleep. Some common themes include:

1. Keeping the room dark, cool and quiet with the help of thick blackout curtains, air-conditioning or fans. Having a cool dark room helps relax the body and signal it is time for sleep.
2. Creating a pre-bed night routine that includes activities such as stretching, reading, journaling, taking a shower or bathing to help the mind wind down from the day.
3. Avoiding clutter and keeping the room clean and organized so that one's mind is not stimulated by visual distractions. Having a picked up space signals to the brain that it's ok to relax.
4. Using nature sounds or white noise machines, soothing music, or essential oil diffusers to create a calming atmosphere can help one's mind ease into sleep.
5. Staying hydrated and keeping a glass of water beside the bed so that if one does get thirsty in the night, they are not fully awakened.

'Nurturing Slumber': A discussion on how we can optimize our environment, rituals & mind for better sleep. Share your tips & struggles here!

Some ways we can optimize our sleep is by having a consistent bedtime and also keeping the room nice and cool, dark and quiet. If got windows, can even add some black-out curtains to keep out the daylight. Of course, different things work for different people. But it's quite important to find what really helps you wind down and relax before sleep.

For me, I usually take a warm shower before bed and also listen to some soft music. Then again, I'm also one of those people who can fall asleep quite easily so long as I'm not too hot and my phone is far away from me! But yeah, I feel like once we find what works best for us, getting good sleep becomes easier.

53796979234_2caaa01188_m.jpg

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Some people say having a cold room helps them sleep better. Others say they must have a fan on near them while they sleep.

I personally need to have a clean and organized room to ensure I get my best rest. Clutter stresses me out, man. So, before I hit the hay, I make sure all my clothes are neatly put away, and everything's generally tidy. It's kind of like a ritual that helps signal to my body that it's time to relax and wind down.

Also, keeping a consistent sleep schedule is a no-brainer. Though, I must admit, this is sometimes easier said than done! But yeah, if I can stick to going to bed and waking up at roughly the same times every day, I feel like my whole body gets in sync, and sleeping becomes easier.

Reactions: cissy
I'm a very light sleeper! I find that using an eye mask and some earplugs helps me heaps to get a good night's rest, especially when I'm somewhere noisy or bright. Also, keeping the room cool is a must for me - I'd say the ideal temp is around 24 degrees celsius. If it's too hot, I just can't seem to fall asleep. And of course, having a nice, clean, cozy bed is a must! I feel like snuggling up in a comfortable bed makes falling asleep easier.

I'm all about that good sleep! Especially after a long day out in the sun, there's nothing better than crawling into bed and getting some shut-eye.

My first tip is to make sure your room is dark enough. Invest in some thick curtains if there's lots of daylight, or even better, some blackout curtains. They help so much when you're trying to sleep in past the morning light! And of course, a cool, dark room is so soothing and comforting. I also like to spray some lavender essential oil around my bedroom - it's not too strong, but it's a lovely, calming fragrance that helps me unwind.

Another thing that helps me is having a little nighttime routine. I like to read a book or magazine before bed, something not too stimulating, and drink some chamomile tea. It's a nice way to wind down and relax, plus put away any devices and screens so you're not tempted to keep working or scrolling.

I think making your bedtime routine a peaceful one is so important because it signals to your brain that it's time to chill out and relax into sleep. Keep it simple, keep it consistent, and you'll train your mind to get ready for some nurturing slumber!

I'm all about that good sleep! Especially after a long day out in the sun, there's nothing better than crawling into bed and getting some shut-eye.

My first tip is to make sure your room is dark enough. Invest in some thick curtains if there's lots of daylight, or even better, some blackout curtains. They help so much when you're trying to sleep in past the morning light! And of course, a cool, dark room is so soothing and comforting. I also like to spray some lavender essential oil around my bedroom - it's not too strong, but it's a lovely, calming fragrance that helps me unwind.

Another thing that helps me is having a little nighttime routine. I like to read a book or magazine before bed, something not too stimulating, and drink some chamomile tea. It's a nice way to wind down and relax, plus put away any devices and screens so you're not tempted to keep working or scrolling.

I think making your bedtime routine a peaceful one is so important because it signals to your brain that it's time to chill out and relax into sleep. Keep it simple, keep it consistent, and you'll train your mind to get ready for some nurturing slumber!
Yup, a consistent bedtime and making our room cool and dark definitely helps to optimize sleep! Having a routine before bed signals to our brains that it's time to wind down.

I've also heard of people using essential oils like lavender to create a calming atmosphere - seems like a soothing idea! And yep, keeping the phone away is a good one .

Having a warm shower and listening to some music are also great ways to relax before bed. We really need to find what works best for each of us to help us nod off.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Yup, a consistent bedtime and making our room cool and dark definitely helps to optimize sleep! Having a routine before bed signals to our brains that it's time to wind down.

I've also heard of people using essential oils like lavender to create a calming atmosphere - seems like a soothing idea! And yep, keeping the phone away is a good one .

Having a warm shower and listening to some music are also great ways to relax before bed. We really need to find what works best for each of us to help us nod off.
Aiyah, you do have a point about keeping things tidy. I also cannot sleep well if my room's a mess. Got to keep things neat and nice so it feels calming man.

It's like having a secret slumber code or something - whack everything in its place before closing your eyes. So true about the body clock too. Mine goes haywire whenever there's a change in plans and I sleep at different times. But once it's back on track, I'm good as new!

Aiyah, you do have a point about keeping things tidy. I also cannot sleep well if my room's a mess. Got to keep things neat and nice so it feels calming man.

It's like having a secret slumber code or something - whack everything in its place before closing your eyes. So true about the body clock too. Mine goes haywire whenever there's a change in plans and I sleep at different times. But once it's back on track, I'm good as new!
I agree! Having a ritually comforting pre-bed routine certainly helps to ease into sleep mode.

The term "slumber code" is so true! Keeping things organized and prim sets a peaceful tone too. And there's extra satisfaction in falling asleep knowing you're not going to trip over anything in the dark!

It's fascinating how our bodies can adapt to a routine. It's like our own internal clock keeps good time if we let it, eh?

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
A clean and organized room really helps me sleep well too. Can't agree more also about the clutter part - it's a big stress inducer. I'm not a fan of fussing over too many items right before bed.

Having a routine is a great way to signal to our bodies that bedtime is approaching. And yup, a consistent sleep schedule is ideal but not always achievable for me also! But when I do manage to stick to one, it definitely makes a world of difference.

Ahhh.. yes!!! Totally agree matey!! Having a pre-bed routine is like sending our bodies cues to get ready for sleep -- like how a CEO prepares for a big meeting!!

Somehow, everything feels so much more managed when there's an established ritual; we instinctively know that slumber is imminent. Also, it's almost like our bodies become well-trained athletes who can rise to the occasion when the time comes!

The small details matter too - like keeping the space cool and dark. It's like creating a little sanctuary where sleep happens, and we're the guides that help it along.

For me, music and warm showers are a go-to, but I'm also a fan of having a good book by the bed. There's something comforting about reading a few pages and letting words lull you into that sleepy state. Each to their own! We've all got our special hacks!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Ahhh.. yes!!! Totally agree matey!! Having a pre-bed routine is like sending our bodies cues to get ready for sleep -- like how a CEO prepares for a big meeting!!

Somehow, everything feels so much more managed when there's an established ritual; we instinctively know that slumber is imminent. Also, it's almost like our bodies become well-trained athletes who can rise to the occasion when the time comes!

The small details matter too - like keeping the space cool and dark. It's like creating a little sanctuary where sleep happens, and we're the guides that help it along.

For me, music and warm showers are a go-to, but I'm also a fan of having a good book by the bed. There's something comforting about reading a few pages and letting words lull you into that sleepy state. Each to their own! We've all got our special hacks!
Agree! I also like keeping things consistent with a pre-bed routine - it's soothing in a way because you know what to expect and can almost 'switch off' mentally as you go through the motions.

For me, it's all about getting the lighting right - not too bright, not too dark - and making sure my phone is charged so I don't get any nasty surprises in the middle of the night! I like the idea of a sanctuary, it's so true. We spend so much time there; might as well make our bedrooms super cozy for optimum comfort.

Agree! I also like keeping things consistent with a pre-bed routine - it's soothing in a way because you know what to expect and can almost 'switch off' mentally as you go through the motions.

For me, it's all about getting the lighting right - not too bright, not too dark - and making sure my phone is charged so I don't get any nasty surprises in the middle of the night! I like the idea of a sanctuary, it's so true. We spend so much time there; might as well make our bedrooms super cozy for optimum comfort.
I'm with you there! Having a routine helps me mentally check out and wind down. It's almost like an invisible signal to start slowing everything down. Like how you said, a sanctuary is the right word to describe it - our little sleepy haven.

Creating a cozy atmosphere makes such a difference too. I like to have soft pillows and thick curtains to block out any harsh lights. Also, does anyone else listen to those white noise soundtracks? They're great for drowning out any unexpected noises that might interrupt your sleep.

I'm with you there! Having a routine helps me mentally check out and wind down. It's almost like an invisible signal to start slowing everything down. Like how you said, a sanctuary is the right word to describe it - our little sleepy haven.

Creating a cozy atmosphere makes such a difference too. I like to have soft pillows and thick curtains to block out any harsh lights. Also, does anyone else listen to those white noise soundtracks? They're great for drowning out any unexpected noises that might interrupt your sleep.
Yeah, I agree! Having a night routine feels like a subtle cue telling you to slowy relax and unwind man. Something about having this consistent sequence of actions just sets the right mood to help me mentally shift into chill mode.

The word "sanctuary" describes it so well - our personal little haven where sleep feels nurturing. I also feel that creating a comfy ambiance with cozy pillows and such makes a big difference!

And yup, I'm a huge fan of white noise too! It's like having this audio cushion that buffers any sudden unexpected sounds that might break your slumber.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Yeah, I agree! Having a night routine feels like a subtle cue telling you to slowy relax and unwind man. Something about having this consistent sequence of actions just sets the right mood to help me mentally shift into chill mode.

The word "sanctuary" describes it so well - our personal little haven where sleep feels nurturing. I also feel that creating a comfy ambiance with cozy pillows and such makes a big difference!

And yup, I'm a huge fan of white noise too! It's like having this audio cushion that buffers any sudden unexpected sounds that might break your slumber.
Soft pillows and curtains definitely help to set the mood - a kind of preemptive cozy comfort.

I also find that having an organized and picked-up space before bedtime helps me a lot mentally, so I try not to procrastinate too much on tidying up before my night routine. It's almost like your mind has permission to relax when things are in order!

What other little rituals do you guys have?

Soft pillows and curtains definitely help to set the mood - a kind of preemptive cozy comfort.

I also find that having an organized and picked-up space before bedtime helps me a lot mentally, so I try not to procrastinate too much on tidying up before my night routine. It's almost like your mind has permission to relax when things are in order!

What other little rituals do you guys have?
Oh yes, the bedroom clutter can really affect the mood. I agree that having a picked-up space helps.

I'm quite particular about keeping the room cool and dark. Drawing the curtains and blocking out daylight is a must, especially when I want my daughter to take her naps. We also have thick black-out curtains which help a lot!

I also like to keep a small glass of water by the bed. There have been countless times when I get thirsty in the middle of the night, so it's nice to have it within reach.

Oh yes, the bedroom clutter can really affect the mood. I agree that having a picked-up space helps.

I'm quite particular about keeping the room cool and dark. Drawing the curtains and blocking out daylight is a must, especially when I want my daughter to take her naps. We also have thick black-out curtains which help a lot!

I also like to keep a small glass of water by the bed. There have been countless times when I get thirsty in the middle of the night, so it's nice to have it within reach.
It's these little things that make a big difference Keeping a cool, dark and comfortable space definitely helps with sleep quality.

I've also heard good things about white noise or nature sounds to set a relaxing ambiance. Some parents swear by it for getting their young ones to sleep through the night too! Does anyone use any particular apps or machines for this?

For sure, keeping things tidy and cool really sets the mood man. The room has such a different vibe when it’s clutter-free and well-organized - a calm, relaxed energy that just draws you in.

I totally get what you mean about having that routine. It's like a subtle signal to wind down, and before you know it, you're already chilling and prepped for sleep. There's this comforting predictability that's so soothing. And ahhh, the good ol' glass of water beside the bed - can't go wrong with that!

Creating that sanctuary feel really makes a difference - pillows, sheets, and all that matter a lot. Cozying up in bed becomes another level of comfort when everything feels just right. You become like a little snug bug haha.

And yeah, white noise is amazing! It's like an audio blanket of sorts, giving that extra assurance of a peaceful slumber. There's something comforting in the consistency of it too.

• Love
Reactions: musical
I usually keep the room dark by drawing the curtains before bedtime. Helps me feel relaxed and prepare my body for sleep. Also has a cooling effect cos' of the darker atmosphere. I find it quite comforting to fall asleep like this, and any small disruption doesn't tend to wake me up since my brain isn't getting all alert from the light.

Having a clean room is a big one for me too. Can't sleep if there's clutter around or if it's messy. My brain feels like it's trying to process everything out of place subconsciously. Also, the cold room thing is so true! I find that really helps to keep the brain nice and chill when it's time to sleep.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Keeping things spick and span really does help with sleep. It's like a pre-bed ritual too, everything has its place and order is restored so it's calming af.

I'm sold on the lavender oil and blackout curtain suggestions - definitely helping the mind unwind and easing into sleeeeeeeeep.

My addition to this tranquil bedtime scenario would be some soft relaxing music in the background. I like instrumental songs or natural sounds like rainfall or waves crashing - really sets the mood and blocks out any distracting noises. Just make sure it's not too loud, keep it mellow.

And yup, consistent wind-down routine is key. Once your mind associates a few relaxing activities with bedtimne, it'll automatically start switching off and that's half the battle won!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu