• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nighttime

I think dimming the lights is a super helpful way to signal to your body that bedtime's approaching. I usually stick some candles around my place, nothing too fancy, just gives a nice cozy glow. Then I'll kick back with a book because looking at words on paper helps me unwind and relax more than screen time.

Also a massive fan of having a warm bath - it's like a mini spa experience at home! I'll light some aromatherapy candles to really uplevel the relaxation and zen out to some calm music. Soaking in a hot tub is such a great way to end the day, man.

And of course, got to keep hydrated with a nice cold drink and brush my teeth before closing my eyes for some shuteye.

Yeah, I love dimming the lights and setting up some candles for ambiance, especially during a warm bath. Gives me the perfect opportunity to relax and unwind after a long day. And a good book always helps too - self-help books with useful tips on productivity and mindfulness are my go-to!

Adding some aromatherapy with candles would really uplevel that entire experience and create such a cozy atmosphere. Might as well grab some essential oils while I'm at it!

Reactions: koala
I usually take a warm shower and use my favourite scented bodywash to chill and unwind after a long day. The steam helps to relax and loosen up my muscles, and it's almost like giving myself a little spa experience at home! Then I'll hop into bed, do some light stretching and grab my current favorite novel. I love escaping into a good story - it helps me unplug from the world and wind down.

I also make sure to drink a big cup of water before all this because hydration is key! And of course, there's no better way to end the night than cuddling up under a soft blanket, getting cozy with a book, and forgetting about the world.

Reactions: travelmum
I'm all about keeping it simple and comfortable - that's the key to a good nighttime routine! No need for anything extravagant. I like to dim the lights once it hits 9pm, and I always make sure my space is cozy and cool. Curtains drawn, some calm music playing softly in the background. Nothing too fancy, just helps set the mood y'know?

I usually go for a quick workout earlier in the evening, so by the time bedtime rolls around, I'm tired and ready to unwind. A warm shower works wonders after that. Then it's straight into comfy PJs and socks - the fuzzy kind that make you feel all snug.

I love the idea of lighting candles, though! Might add that in sometimes for some extra zen. And of course, my bedtime drink is a must. Sometimes it's just plain old water, other times herbal tea. But it's always there to help relax and signal to my body that it's winding down time.

Finding little things that work for you makes all the difference!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
For sure, journaling is quite therapeutic but I find that typing out my thoughts on my phone is much faster and more convenient these days. It's also easier to keep track of past entries - I used to love reading old journal entries but the nostalgia made me a tad sentimental too!

Herbal tea and warm milk are definitely comforting and soothing, especially on cooler nights. And I totally agree with taking the time to appreciate the little things; it's a great way to remind ourselves of life's little blessings and count our joys. A quick backrub or foot massage is like a treat to end the day - self-care at its best!

I've also found that doing some light stretching before bed helps with my sleep. It's relaxing and somehow signals to my body that bedtime is coming up. Plus, it feels so good to roll out those knots and kinks!

For sure, journaling is quite therapeutic but I find that typing out my thoughts on my phone is much faster and more convenient these days. It's also easier to keep track of past entries - I used to love reading old journal entries but the nostalgia made me a tad sentimental too!

Herbal tea and warm milk are definitely comforting and soothing, especially on cooler nights. And I totally agree with taking the time to appreciate the little things; it's a great way to remind ourselves of life's little blessings and count our joys. A quick backrub or foot massage is like a treat to end the day - self-care at its best!

I've also found that doing some light stretching before bed helps with my sleep. It's relaxing and somehow signals to my body that bedtime is coming up. Plus, it feels so good to roll out those knots and kinks!
Oh yeah, essential oils are great! I've been using them for a while now - just a few drops in the diffuser instantly create such a cozy ambiance. Citrus scents and peppermint are refreshing and uplifting, perfect to brighten up your mood after a long day.

And yup, there's something therapeutic about writing down your thoughts. It's like giving your mind some much-needed downtime, especially after a chaotic day. You should definitely give it a go!

I'm also loving the skincare routine idea that others have shared. Simple self-care practices can make such a difference and are a lovely way to show yourself some love and attention.

Yeah, I feel you on that! Night walks really hit different, especially with the cool breeze and calming sounds of nature. It's like stepping into a different world after a long day, man. You're right about nature helping us disconnect from life's hustle; it's almost soothing in a way.

I like how you mentioned letting your mind wander with some soft music. I sometimes do that too, just lying on the bed, eyes closed, and grooving to the melodies. Keeping things simple is key - we're not trying to start a rave in our bedrooms! haha A slow wind-down with subtle hints of tranquility is all you need to set the right mood.

Reactions: bookworm
I'm a big fan of drawing the blinds to darken the room and lower the lights cos I find that winding down in a dim setting helps me relax faster. If I'm feeling extra tense, I'll light some lavender-scented candles to soothe my senses. Then I'll grab my current read - usually a book of short stories - and snuggle up on the sofa with a big comfy blanket. Reading a couple of pages or so seems to put my mind in neutral and before long, I'm nodding off!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: queenie and nature
I used to have a TV in the bedroom too but took it out for the exact same reason! I got too tempted to binge-watch silly shows when I should be sleeping. Plus, the blue light from the screen is a no-go for a good night's rest. Agreed also on the skincare front - simple is best! Cleanse, moisturize, done. A quick 10 mins and you feel brand new.

45751168891_a7291e208c_m.jpg

I keep things straightforward, no point overthinking it and making it a chore when all you want is some shuteye. After moisturising and changing into PJs - which are an absolute must - sometimes I do some light yoga or stretching. Nothing too intense, just enough to limber up and ease the tension from my muscles. It’s nice and calming and helps me relax.

If my mind’s racing - which it often does - I make a quick journal entry of whatever’s bugging me and tell myself I’ll deal with it later. You gotta give your mind some reassurance sometimes so you don't lie there awake, thinking about everything under the sun. This way, I can just focus on chilling and getting some rest.

I’m with you on the reading too; it’s a great way to zone out and relax. There's a nice stack of books by my bedside, and I grab one when my eyes are getting heavy. They help shift my mind into neutral and let me ease into sleep mode.

I usually like to keep things simple and comfy by drawing the blinds so the room gets darker, which helps signal to my body it's time to relax. Also catch up on some reading or mindless scrolling while snuggled under a blanket - the AC is on full blast though because I get hot and sticky from the Singapore humidity!

Sometimes I do a quick skincare routine too; it's a good way to make sure you're clean and fresh for bed and saves time in the morning when you're rushing out the door.

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
I'm the opposite of a morning person, so I've honed my nighttime routine to help me wind down smoothly. No electronics an hour before bed--that's sacrosanct. I dim the lights and light some tea candles around the living room. The tv gets tuned to an old black-and-white movie - the classic, feel-good kind with a simple storyline that doesn't require too much brainpower. I'll snuggle up in a comfy robe and just chill. No intense conversations or loud laughing, please!

Then, a quick, warm shower followed by a basic skincare routine and my comfiest PJs - the ones with the cute little cows all over them.😁 I'm a big fan of having a small, healthy snack and a glass of cold milk - gotta stay hydrated! I like ending my day knowing everything's done or at least scheduled for the next day. So, I'll spend 10 minutes or so going through my planner and getting things organized.

My last step is some gentle stretching in bed, listening to lo-fi beats. It helps me clear my mind and relax into the mattress. Plus, it signals to my body that bedtime's here when I switch off the lights and snuggle up under the sheets.

It's all about finding that balance between calming and cozy so you can slip into dreamland smoothly!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu