• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nighttime

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are many ways people unwind and prepare for a good night’s rest. Some of them include:

1. Dimming the lights. This is an effective way to signal to your body that it's time to relax and prepare for sleep, giving your eyes a well-deserved break from all the brightness.
2. Soothing ambiance. Many find that lighting some candles and listening to soft, mellow music helps to create a peaceful atmosphere for relaxation. You can also incorporate essential oils and a diffuser to enhance the ambiance with calming aromas.
3. Reading before bed is a common practice among the group. Reading a physical book is preferred over digital screens as it's easier on the eyes and offers a more soothing experience. Self-help books and novels are popular choices that help clear your mind of the day's stresses and transport you into fantasy lands.
4. Writing in a journal is also a great way to reflect on the day and "dump" your thoughts on paper, preparing your mind for a peaceful slumber.
5. A warm bath or shower is a lovely way to wind down, especially with some relaxing music playing softly in the background.
6. Keep things simple with a basic skincare routine and put on comfortable PJs - almost like a hug to yourself. Cozy socks are also recommended for those who are extra sensitive to the cold!
7. Staying hydrated is important so do remember to drink up that glass of water before bed. Also, oral hygiene is key - brush those teeth!
8. Keeping a consistent and slow wind-down routine is crucial and helps your body recognize bedtime is approaching. Avoid overthinking it and stick to simple pleasures like catching up with friends or mindlessly texting while snuggled under a blanket. Keep the evening activities mellow and relaxed.

Remember, everyone's different so find what works best for you - whether it's having a glass of wine , doing some light exercise, or simply enjoying a peaceful cup of warm milk tea. Happy chilling and sweet dreams!

A calm, dark evening sets the stage for nurturing nighttime practices to soothe and prepare us for a good night's rest. Share your favourite ways to create a peaceful bedtime atmosphere and foster soothing pre-sleep routines. Whether it's a warm bath or a relaxing reading session, we can all benefit from some inspiration to make the most of this sacred time. I'll go first!

I like to dim the lights an hour before bed and light some candles around my bath. I fill the tub with soothing epsom salt waters, lock the door, and just unwind. The warmth and calm of the water relaxes my muscles, and the soft glow of candlelight adds an extra layer of serenity. Then, snuggled up in a fresh pair of pjs, I crawl into bed and listen to a meditation playlist on Spotify for 15 minutes to clear my mind. It's such a lovely wind-down and signals to my body that bedtime is near.

Your turn! What do you do to create a serene nighttime routine? Any tips for making the transition from day to night smooth and easy?

My evening usually involves catching up on some light reading after dinner. I like curling up with a good book and a cup of warm tea. It helps me unwind and slow down after a long day.

Sometimes, if I'm feeling extra stressed, I'll take a relaxing shower too, which really helps to ease those muscles! Then it's off to bed, listening to some soft tunes on my playlist - nothing too upbeat, just gentle songs to ease me into dreamland.

It's nice to have these little rituals that signal to our bodies that bedtime is approaching. Helps make the most of that transition time!

I'm all about keeping it simple! Usually after my shower, I just slather on some thick moisturizer all over my body and spend a few minutes massaging it into my skin. The relaxing sensation of the massage combined with the soothing fragrance of the cream really helps me unwind and signals to my brain that bedtime is coming.

Then I put on a fresh set of PJs, grab my favourite paperback and curl up in bed. I like the feel of physical books; there's something very comforting about them. I read a few chapters, which helps quieten my mind and ease me into a peaceful sleep.

Sometimes if I'm especially stressed, I'll do some deep breathing exercises or yoga poses before getting into bed. Nothing too energetic - just gentle, slow movements to release tension from my body. It really depends on how I'm feeling that day!

Reactions: eternity
I'm all about that pre-bed chill time! I love to whack on some aromatherapy essential oils in the diffuser and lie down for some deep breathing exercises. It helps to calm my mind and transition from the day's chaos to a more peaceful state of mind. Oils like lavender or chamomile are so soothing and help me unwind mentally. Then, a quick skincare routine with some gentle facial massage - that's my idea of pampering!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and nature
I usually take an extra-long shower at night, making sure the water's a tad warmer than usual. It helps to ease the aches and pains after a long day. Then I'd whip up a fresh smoothie or milkshake - gotta love a cold, frothy drink as the night cap.

Blinds drawn, curtains closed, and lights dimmed slightly - the darker, the better, imo. I keep my phone far away from my bedside so that I won't be tempted to scroll through any screens. Instead, I reach for my journal and pen some thoughts before dozing off.

It's rare, but if I'm extra stressed, a quick workout before bed helps too. That intense physical activity somehow tires me out and makes for quicker sleep.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
I like the idea of unwinding in a warm, candlelit bath before bed. It's such a comfy and cozy way to relax your body and quiet down racing thoughts.

My go-to nighttime routine is cracking open a book - preferably some lighthearted, fluffy novel - and getting snug under a blanket on my bed with a cup of chamomile tea. The warmth of the drink, the soft glow of my bedside lamp, and the comforting taste of the tea help me relax and ease into a sleepy mood.

I also love putting on some skincare masks occasionally, which helps me unwind and pampers my skin at the same time! It's like a mini spa experience right at home. Mascerating while reading - now that's a lovely way to end the day and super chillax!

I like the idea of unwinding in a warm, candlelit bath before bed. It's such a comfy and cozy way to relax your body and quiet down racing thoughts.

My go-to nighttime routine is cracking open a book - preferably some lighthearted, fluffy novel - and getting snug under a blanket on my bed with a cup of chamomile tea. The warmth of the drink, the soft glow of my bedside lamp, and the comforting taste of the tea help me relax and ease into a sleepy mood.

I also love putting on some skincare masks occasionally, which helps me unwind and pampers my skin at the same time! It's like a mini spa experience right at home. Mascerating while reading - now that's a lovely way to end the day and super chillax!
I'm a big fan of a good, old-school bedtime story, just like the ones I'd read as a kid! There's something about losing yourself in a captivating narrative that helps shake off the day's stresses. It's even better when paired with a hot drink and some cozy snuggly blankets on a cool night.

Sometimes, I also put on some soft music - nothing too energetic or upbeat - and let my mind wander as I hum along. The key is to keep things simple and serene, which helps signal to your body that it's time to wind down.

53643248612_0896d58e02_m.jpg

If I'm staying up late, which is most nights, I like to throw on my earphones and jam out to some 80s and 90s hits. The nostalgia and cheeriness of it put a smile on my face and set a goofy mood. It's a nice break from the day's stresses.

Sometimes, if I'm feeling particularly frazzled, I'll bust out some jumping jacks or do some quick cardio around the living room - all that exhaustion helps me settle down quickly once I'm in bed.

I'm all about the ambiance so I totally get you on dimming the lights and setting a calming mood with candles. But I also like to spritz some lavender essential oil around my room to really set the mood and help me unwind. The scent is just so soothing and signals to my brain that it's time to relax and wind down.

Then, I like to snuggle up with a good book and a soft blanket. There's something about getting lost in a story that helps me forget the stresses of the day and sets my mind free. Reading a few pages always helps me sleep soundly and I don't think there's anything quite like the comfort of a well-loved book and a cozy bed!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Not sure about you, but I downsize my dinner portion during the nights I want a good rest. Can't be stuffing myself silly and expecting to sleep like a baby afterwards - that's a no-no. Then again, if I'm too hungry, it'll also keep me up at night thinking of all the food in the kitchen.

An hour or so before bedtime, I lock myself in the room, put on some soft jazz, draw the curtains, and switch off the harsh overhead lights. That's when the mood lighting comes into play - got a couple of those cute fairy lights running along my window sill, and they set the ambiance just right. On especially stressful nights, I break out the essential oils and diffuser; their calming scent helps ease my tense muscles.

And if all else fails, there's always wine. Not the sweet kind though - got to have that sharp, crisp taste to help clear my mind. But one or two glasses are enough; don't want it affecting my sleep either!

All in all, a good wind-down is key. Mindful of keeping the night time sacrosanct - no work, no screens, and definitely no loud or stressful distractions.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
I love winding down with a cup of warm milk tea after my bath. The warmth hits the spot and the caffeine helps relax my mind. I take my time to text a few friends on what'sapp, catching up on our missed calls and messages from the day while snuggled under a soft blanket on the couch. It's nice to connect with loved ones before bed, makes me feel grateful and contented.

My tip is to keep the night's activities slow and simple. We often overthink the bedtime routine but it's really the little things that count - like taking time to relax and unwind, doing the things we enjoy. Nothing too elaborate, just simple pleasures to ease into a peaceful slumber.

What about you? Any simple joys you do to chill before bed?

I love winding down with a cup of warm milk tea after my bath. The warmth hits the spot and the caffeine helps relax my mind. I take my time to text a few friends on what'sapp, catching up on our missed calls and messages from the day while snuggled under a soft blanket on the couch. It's nice to connect with loved ones before bed, makes me feel grateful and contented.

My tip is to keep the night's activities slow and simple. We often overthink the bedtime routine but it's really the little things that count - like taking time to relax and unwind, doing the things we enjoy. Nothing too elaborate, just simple pleasures to ease into a peaceful slumber.

What about you? Any simple joys you do to chill before bed?
I used to be a big advocate for diving straight into bed right after a quick shower, but you guys have shown me the error of my ways! I'm liking all these little rituals and pre-bed routines.

I've been getting into essential oils lately, they're like an instant relaxation button with their lovely scents. And paired with some deep breathing exercises, they really help to calm those racing evening thoughts. I usually go for a citrusy smell or peppermint - really invigorating and fresh!

Also been thinking of starting a journal. Something about physically writing down the day's events and letting them literally slip away into the night is appealing. Kind of like a mental dump to clear your head. Might try that soon!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
I used to be a big advocate for diving straight into bed right after a quick shower, but you guys have shown me the error of my ways! I'm liking all these little rituals and pre-bed routines.

I've been getting into essential oils lately, they're like an instant relaxation button with their lovely scents. And paired with some deep breathing exercises, they really help to calm those racing evening thoughts. I usually go for a citrusy smell or peppermint - really invigorating and fresh!

Also been thinking of starting a journal. Something about physically writing down the day's events and letting them literally slip away into the night is appealing. Kind of like a mental dump to clear your head. Might try that soon!
I used to keep a journal when I was younger too! I've since switched over to using an app on my phone for my thoughts, notes, and ideas - it's easier for me to access and I can organize them digitally. Though there is something soothing about putting pen to paper, the feel of a smooth gel pen gliding across the pages is very satisfying.

I agree that writing helps process the day and clears your head. It's nice to reflect on the highlights too, especially when you're grateful for some moments or experiences. So therapeutic!

Reactions: nature
I'm not one to go in for too many fancy products or rituals, but keeping things simple seems to do the trick for me too. After a nice warm shower and some basic skincare, I like to pull on a comfy pair of PJs - the kind that feel like a hug. If I'm feeling particularly antsy, I'll pop on some comfy socks 'cause there's nothing worse than cold feet!

I'm a big fan of reading before bed too; it's an excellent way to ease into relaxation mode and put the frenzied thoughts on pause for a while. I find that having a physical book is way better for calming my mind than staring at a screen. I usually grab one of the many novels stacked by my bedside table and read until my eyes get heavy. The words seem to lull me into a peaceful slumber.

If my mind is racing too fast - which happens more often than not - I'll get up, jot down some notes on whatever's on my mind, and tell myself I'll deal with it tomorrow. That way, it's like I've offloaded the thoughts and can focus on just chilling for the rest of the night. This method usually helps me settle into a deep sleep.

It's nice to have these little routines that signal to our bodies that bedtime is approaching and prepare us for some quality shuteye!

I like dimming the lights once it's close to bedtime. Gives the eyes a break from the brightness and prepares me for some shuteye. Also, winding down with a warm bath is so soothing, especially with some relaxing music playing softly in the background.

My pre-sleep routine also involves catching up on some reading - I've been reading this self-help book that's got lots of good tips on mindfulness and stress management. Reading something helpful like that before bed helps me reflect on the day and keeps my mind focused on the positive.

I should really get some candles and add some aromatherapy to the mix - that'd be such a lovely addition to the whole nighttime routine!

I'm not big on elaborate nighttime routines, but I do like me some good ol' Wind Down Time. After a long day, drawing the curtains and dimming the lights signals to my body that relaxing time's at hand. I might put on some mellow tunes - nothing too upbeat - and go about my evening chores like folding laundry or washing dishes.

Then, I like to sit down with a good book. Reading a few pages of an engaging novel helps clear my mind of the day's troubles. Some days, I'll also do some journal writing. It feels soothing to pen down whatever's on my mind and let the words flow onto paper.

Before bed, I make sure to drink a glass of water cause hydration is key, and also brush my teeth because there's nothing worse than being too comfortable in bed only to be struck by sudden oral hygiene awareness.

Yeah la, basically that's about it. What about you? How do you chill before bed? Any secrets to share?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I used to think having a TV in the bedroom was a good idea, but it can be quite distracting sometimes. The glow of the screen can mess with your sleep schedule, and before you know it, you've binge-watched three episodes of some series just because Netflix auto-played them. Not a great look when you have work tomorrow!
So these days, I keep my bedroom tech-free. No TVs, laptops, or phones on charge near the bed. Instead, I like to keep things old school with a good ol' book. Reading a physical book is so much easier on the eyes, and it's a super soothing way to relax before bed. Plus, if you're using a book, there's no risk of getting sucked into the Instagram void for an hour!
Also, big fan of the skincare routine idea too. Nothing too fancy, just some cleansing and moisturizing, maybe a face mask here and there. It's like giving your skin some TLC before turning in for the night.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
I used to think having a TV in the bedroom was a good idea, but it can be quite distracting sometimes. The glow of the screen can mess with your sleep schedule, and before you know it, you've binge-watched three episodes of some series just because Netflix auto-played them. Not a great look when you have work tomorrow!
So these days, I keep my bedroom tech-free. No TVs, laptops, or phones on charge near the bed. Instead, I like to keep things old school with a good ol' book. Reading a physical book is so much easier on the eyes, and it's a super soothing way to relax before bed. Plus, if you're using a book, there's no risk of getting sucked into the Instagram void for an hour!
Also, big fan of the skincare routine idea too. Nothing too fancy, just some cleansing and moisturizing, maybe a face mask here and there. It's like giving your skin some TLC before turning in for the night.
I also used to write in a journal when I was younger. These days, it's quite rare for me to do that - I might jot down the odd thought or two, but that's about it. Like you, I've found that using my phone is much more convenient; it's quicker and easier to type out my thoughts there. Besides, like what you said, there's a certain satisfaction to the smooth flow of ink on paper. It's almost therapeutic in a way - just not as practical!

Yeah, I agree that writing helps process all the thoughts running through my head at the end of the day. Some days when I'm especially thankful for certain things, I'll take a moment to appreciate them and it really does help put my mind at ease.

I'm a big fan of warm beverages before bed too - they're soothing and comforting, and like you said, the warmth is just nice. I usually go for herbal tea or some good old chamomile. It's also becoming quite a ritual for me to catch up with my closest friends over WhatsApp every night; it's a great way to end the day and connect before turning in.

Keep things simple - that's my motto too! Keeping the pre-bed routine chilled and slow definitely helps with winding down. We often make it more complicated than it needs to be, when really all we need are those little touches that help us relax.

I enjoy a good back rub or foot massage before bed too - that always feels like such a treat and is so soothing! Also a big fan of skincare; it's almost like giving yourself some tender loving care before you rest up for the night.

I'm with you on keeping things simple - no point making it complicated 'cause we're just knocking out for the night, right? After moisturizer application and PJs, which are a must, I like to do some light stretching sometimes. Nothing fancy, just enough to feel limber and relaxed. My muscles can get pretty tight so this helps me unwind.

On days when my mind is doing laps, I write down what's bugging me and tell myself I'll deal with it another time cos sometimes ya just gotta put a pin in it. This way, I don't fidget in bed thinking about everything that could go wrong. I find that helps me a lot cause then I can just focus on relaxing and getting some shuteye.

Reading's great too - I get through books so much faster when I'm on a good run because my eyes are heavy from all the relaxation! But yeah, same as you, I keep it old school with an actual book. There's something about the feel of the pages and the weight of the book in my hands that's comforting.

I like how you keep it, bro! The old-school bedtime story idea still rocks, especially with a cozy setup and some snuggly blankets to go along with it. Nothing too fancy, just some simple pleasures to set the mood.

My take on this is going old school too - think back to the good ol' days when we'd have night walks around the neighborhood or in the park after dinner. The cool evening breeze, the calming sounds of nature , and the slow, intentional footsteps help me unwind in a way nothing else can. There's no better way to shake off the day's hustle and bustle than this - it's like giving your mind and body a well-deserved break while also getting some exercise.

The key is really finding that sweet spot where you disconnect from the busyness of life, man, and just be in the moment. Nature has a way of doing that for me, y'know?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu