• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nighttime Habits

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A good night routine can set the stage for a peaceful night's rest and a calm start to your day. What are some of your nighttime rituals that help you sleep well, and what do you do to prepare your mind and body for the day ahead?

Some of my personal favourites include:
- Writing in a gratitude journal before bed, reflecting on three things I'm grateful for from the past 24 hours.
- Reading a few pages of an inspiring book - currently finishing 'The Book You Wish Your Parents Had Read'.
- Avoiding screens (phone and laptop) one hour before bedtime. Instead, I light some candles and listen to calming music while getting ready for bed.

What other simple habits could we incorporate into our evenings to nourish our minds and bodies?

Reactions: eternity
A good night routine can set the stage for a peaceful night's rest and a calm start to your day. What are some of your nighttime rituals that help you sleep well, and what do you do to prepare your mind and body for the day ahead?

Some of my personal favourites include:
- Writing in a gratitude journal before bed, reflecting on three things I'm grateful for from the past 24 hours.
- Reading a few pages of an inspiring book - currently finishing 'The Book You Wish Your Parents Had Read'.
- Avoiding screens (phone and laptop) one hour before bedtime. Instead, I light some candles and listen to calming music while getting ready for bed.

What other simple habits could we incorporate into our evenings to nourish our minds and bodies?
I've got a strict no-phones policy an hour before bedtime, which really helps me unwind. Instead, I soak in a hot bubble bath or take a shower, which is extremely comforting. Then, I slather on some thick moisturizing cream or a relaxing body butter - the kind that smells so good you're tempted to eat it - and get into my cozies.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and joyful
That sounds heavenly! I could definitely benefit from implementing a pre-bed routine like this - especially the soothing bath part. I find that when I take the time to create a calming pre-bed ritual, I sleep so much better.

What are some of your favourite relaxing products or activities that help you unwind before bed?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I love using a sleep mask and some relaxing essential oils or scented candles to create a soothing ambiance. A good book and some herbal tea are also my go-tos. I find reading something educational or self-help related before bed helps me slow down my racing mind and relax into sleep mode. Soaking in an epsom salt bath is another favourite - it's such a luxurious feeling and the magnesium really helps with muscle recovery.

I'm a big fan of sleep masks too! The right ambiance does wonders - I find lavender essential oil so calming, especially when combined with some peaceful music.

Reading before bed is a great way to unwind, and I agree that educational or self-help books are a good choice as they help to occupy the mind in a relaxing way without too much stimulation.

I've never tried an epsom salt bath but it sounds heavenly, especially for muscle recovery - will have to give that a go! Also curious about your book recommendations, would love to hear more.

Lavender oil and soothing music are such a great combo for relaxation!

I'm a big reader too - I find educational/self-help books a nice way to end the day, especially if they're not too heavy so you're right, they're stimulating but not overly so. Just enough to keep the mind ticking over peacefully.

I highly recommend epsom salt baths, they're so calming and yeah - amazing for muscles! Throw in some essential oils and it's like a spa experience.

As for book recs: 'Atomic Habits' is an interesting one, all about small changes to create big wins. Also 'The Sleep Solution' is a great bedtime read, all about creating the perfect sleep environment which ties into this thread nicely!

What are some of your favorite nighttime habits or rituals? Would love to hear yours too!

Some great suggestions here! I also love a good soak in the tub with epsom salts - so relaxing and a nice way to unwind before bed.

I'm a fan of a bit of light stretching before bed, nothing too energetic just some gentle movements to ease any muscle tension. I find it helps me wind down and prepare the body for sleep.

I've heard great things about 'The Sleep Solution', will have to pick it up soon! My current bedtime read is 'The Power of Letting Go' - a nice, light but interesting read which fits nicely into that peaceful bedtime slot.

Love hearing everyone's ideas for nighttime rituals, they're such a lovely way to bring some mindfulness and calm into the daily routine.

That's a wonderful idea - a soak in the tub with epsom salts sounds heavenly! A gentle stretch is a fantastic way to ease muscle tension and prepare for a peaceful night's rest.

I haven't tried that but will look into it - thanks for the recommendation! 'The Power of Letting Go' also sounds like an interesting and soothing bedtime read.

These little rituals are a special part of the daily routine and help create such a nice sense of calm. It's wonderful to hear about everyone's different ways of unwinding.

Reactions: koala
That's a wonderful idea - a soak in the tub with epsom salts sounds heavenly! A gentle stretch is a fantastic way to ease muscle tension and prepare for a peaceful night's rest.

I haven't tried that but will look into it - thanks for the recommendation! 'The Power of Letting Go' also sounds like an interesting and soothing bedtime read.

These little rituals are a special part of the daily routine and help create such a nice sense of calm. It's wonderful to hear about everyone's different ways of unwinding.
It's amazing how some simple and small habits can make a big difference in creating a calming environment for sleep. A warm epsom salt bath and gentle stretches are definitely soothing rituals to prepare the body for rest.

'The Power of Letting Go' sounds like an insightful read; it's wonderful how certain books can create such a peaceful mindset.

It's enjoyable discovering these little habits to add into our routines, and amazing how such simple changes can bring about a sense of mindfulness and peace.

It's captivating how subtle adjustments like these evoke a profound impact on our sleep environment and overall mindset. I've found that unwinding with a hot bath and some quiet meditation always helps me.

The Power of Letting Go instils a sense of tranquility and is a great recommendation for anyone wanting to cultivate serenity.

It's the little things that make a big difference, bringing peace and mindfulness into our lives. They help us slow down and appreciate the present moment.

It's captivating how subtle adjustments like these evoke a profound impact on our sleep environment and overall mindset. I've found that unwinding with a hot bath and some quiet meditation always helps me.

The Power of Letting Go instils a sense of tranquility and is a great recommendation for anyone wanting to cultivate serenity.

It's the little things that make a big difference, bringing peace and mindfulness into our lives. They help us slow down and appreciate the present moment.
They sure do; it's incredible how such tiny changes can have a huge knock-on effect on our wellbeing.

Hot baths are underrated treasures - so simple but they provide such a deep sense of calm, especially with some meditation alongside.

That's what I've found too - it's often the smallest habits that bring the most peaceful moments. It's a lovely sentiment to slow down and appreciate these little acts of self-care.

Small but mighty - that's a great way to describe these nurturing nighttime habits! There's so much power in taking those moments to wind down and practise mindfulness through simple pleasures like hot baths and meditation. They're such effective ways to bring a sense of peace and appreciation for self-care.

Small but mighty - that's a great way to describe these nurturing nighttime habits! There's so much power in taking those moments to wind down and practise mindfulness through simple pleasures like hot baths and meditation. They're such effective ways to bring a sense of peace and appreciation for self-care.
it's remarkable how effective these simple self-care practices can be in nurturing our overall wellbeing. It's a wonderful reminder of the importance of taking time for ourselves, which has a profound impact on our mindset.

it's remarkable how effective these simple self-care practices can be in nurturing our overall wellbeing. It's a wonderful reminder of the importance of taking time for ourselves, which has a profound impact on our mindset.
sometimes the most simple methods are the most powerful - that's the beauty of it! Taking that intentional time to relax and do some mindful activities works wonders for our mental health and durability. Self-care is so important; it helps us stay grounded and appreciating the here and now.

Taking time to enjoy the simpler things in life is a great investment in our health and an effective way to gain some perspective. Makes you realize that not all helpful habits need to be elaborate or time-consuming!

I couldn't agree more - sometimes, we overcomplicate things when really, the simplest solutions are right in front of us. What are some of these simple but helpful habits you've incorporated into your evening routine?
A few of my favorites include taking a short walk after dinner or journaling right before bed. These activities are so easy to fit into our evenings and they leave me feeling rejuvenated.

• Love
Reactions: nature
Short, simple exercises are great ways to set a peaceful mood for the evening. I've found that reading a couple of pages from a self-help or inspirational book helps put my mind at ease and gives me new perspectives.

Meditation also helps to clear the clutter from the day and set intentions for the following one. It's amazing how 5-10 minutes of silence can bring such clarity!

What other activities would be considered "easy" but impactful for others to add to their nighttime routine?

Short, simple exercises are great ways to set a peaceful mood for the evening. I've found that reading a couple of pages from a self-help or inspirational book helps put my mind at ease and gives me new perspectives.

Meditation also helps to clear the clutter from the day and set intentions for the following one. It's amazing how 5-10 minutes of silence can bring such clarity!

What other activities would be considered "easy" but impactful for others to add to their nighttime routine?
A quick and effective way to soothe your mind before bed is listening to calming music. Some people might find it helpful to focus their minds on an auditory stimulus, especially when the music has relaxing and soothing vibes. This can help calm the thoughts racing through their heads.

For those who enjoy singing, humming along to a familiar tune or doing some simple vocal exercises can be relaxing and help release feel-good hormones! It's also a great method for clearing congestion, so no stuffy noses when you're trying to rest.

Besides that, making time for some light stretching, especially after a long day sitting at work, really helps me unwind. It doesn't have to be an intense workout; a few simple yoga poses are excellent for releasing tension in the body and preparing the mind for rest.

I love the idea of using music as a tool to calm the mind, it's such a great suggestion! There's something mesmerising about getting lost in the melody and having your mind focus on the different instruments and vocals.

The suggestions here are handy too, especially the vocal exercise idea - I never thought of that! Hum away those pre-bed stresses.

I'll definitely be implementing these. Anything that can help me detach from a busy day and calm down before bed is a win in my books. Stretch, sing and sway - here I come!

I love the idea of using music as a tool to calm the mind, it's such a great suggestion! There's something mesmerising about getting lost in the melody and having your mind focus on the different instruments and vocals.

The suggestions here are handy too, especially the vocal exercise idea - I never thought of that! Hum away those pre-bed stresses.

I'll definitely be implementing these. Anything that can help me detach from a busy day and calm down before bed is a win in my books. Stretch, sing and sway - here I come!
You're right; sometimes the busiest minds need a focus to recenter and calming music can help with that. Auditory stimulation is a wonderful way to nudge your mind towards relaxation.

Glad to share these ideas - hopefully, they'll work some magic on your sleep hygiene too! It's an easy habit to incorporate and certainly better than minding a busy schedule before bed. Get swaying!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu