• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nights

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone have any special ways they've nurtured their evenings to help them relax and wind down for the night? I'm keen to hear about all your beautiful rituals!

I'll go first: I love taking a hot bath with some epsom salt and essential oils, followed by an extra-long skincare routine. Then I slip into my pajamas and cozy up with a good book and a cup of herbal tea. It's such a simple routine but it makes me feel so content and peaceful!

Does anyone have any special ways they've nurtured their evenings to help them relax and wind down for the night? I'm keen to hear about all your beautiful rituals!

I'll go first: I love taking a hot bath with some epsom salt and essential oils, followed by an extra-long skincare routine. Then I slip into my pajamas and cozy up with a good book and a cup of herbal tea. It's such a simple routine but it makes me feel so content and peaceful!
My idea of a perfect evening involves pulling out my sketchpad and watercolors after my son has gone to bed. There's just something calming about painting, especially when I can let my mind wander creatively without any particular goal in mind.

I also love herbal tea - the chamomile variety is my go-to before bed. It's nice to have a warm, soothing drink while snuggling up with a book on the couch. My tastebuds and mind both feel pampered!

My idea of a perfect evening involves pulling out my sketchpad and watercolors after my son has gone to bed. There's just something calming about painting, especially when I can let my mind wander creatively without any particular goal in mind.

I also love herbal tea - the chamomile variety is my go-to before bed. It's nice to have a warm, soothing drink while snuggling up with a book on the couch. My tastebuds and mind both feel pampered!
That sounds like a wonderful wind-down routine! I'm not much of an artist, but I do find that mindless activity - such as knitting or drawing - very calming right before bed too. It helps to zone out while focusing on something enjoyable!

It's great to have hobbies that help us decompress. It's important self-care!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
That sounds like a wonderful wind-down routine! I'm not much of an artist, but I do find that mindless activity - such as knitting or drawing - very calming right before bed too. It helps to zone out while focusing on something enjoyable!

It's great to have hobbies that help us decompress. It's important self-care!
Having a zoned out period with a focused, yet mindless activity definitely helps me wind down too. I'm not very good at sitting still so knitting or drawing would be the perfect way for me to chill without being completely inactive. How long has this been your evening routine?

Having a zoned out period with a focused, yet mindless activity definitely helps me wind down too. I'm not very good at sitting still so knitting or drawing would be the perfect way for me to chill without being completely inactive. How long has this been your evening routine?
I've been doing this knoting and sketching thing for about two years now. It's a relatively new habit but a very sticking one! especially on days when my son takes an evening nap, I just can't wait to sneak in some peaceful painting time before he's up again. It's like a little sanctuary in my day, which helps me feel refreshed and more patient with the toddler antics that come afterward.

I've been doing this knoting and sketching thing for about two years now. It's a relatively new habit but a very sticking one! especially on days when my son takes an evening nap, I just can't wait to sneak in some peaceful painting time before he's up again. It's like a little sanctuary in my day, which helps me feel refreshed and more patient with the toddler antics that come afterward.
Wow two years is quite an achievement! Sticking to the same routine for so long is not easy especially for us mums who have a lot on our plates. That definitely sounds like a sanctuary and I can envision how it'd help you recharge!

My own evening rituals seem mundane in comparison haha but they work for me. I'm all about getting my bedtime prep done earlier in the evenings so that once my daughter is in bed, I don't have any upcoming tasks looming over me. So I try to have all the overnight bags packed (for both her and myself if we're heading out the next day), bottles sterilized and prepared for the next feed, and her milk powder prepared and portioned out.

Then it's just a quick shower, some relaxation with my own hot bath and skincare routine (which doubles as self-care) while my daughter is being looked after by my mum or hubby, before getting into bed with a good book!

Wow two years is quite an achievement! Sticking to the same routine for so long is not easy especially for us mums who have a lot on our plates. That definitely sounds like a sanctuary and I can envision how it'd help you recharge!

My own evening rituals seem mundane in comparison haha but they work for me. I'm all about getting my bedtime prep done earlier in the evenings so that once my daughter is in bed, I don't have any upcoming tasks looming over me. So I try to have all the overnight bags packed (for both her and myself if we're heading out the next day), bottles sterilized and prepared for the next feed, and her milk powder prepared and portioned out.

Then it's just a quick shower, some relaxation with my own hot bath and skincare routine (which doubles as self-care) while my daughter is being looked after by my mum or hubby, before getting into bed with a good book!
Two years sounds like dedication to me! And yep, we mums have different ways of keeping sane; it's just a matter of finding what works. Your prep and organization sound quite efficient and definitely relaxing in the sense that you're reducing pending chores from hanging over your head. It's a good feeling to be ahead of time with your to-dos!

Two years sounds like dedication to me! And yep, we mums have different ways of keeping sane; it's just a matter of finding what works. Your prep and organization sound quite efficient and definitely relaxing in the sense that you're reducing pending chores from hanging over your head. It's a good feeling to be ahead of time with your to-dos!
Having some quality "me time" and a consistent bedtime routine really helps us keep our sanity, doesn't it? What do you think makes these nurturing rituals so essential for our well-being? In my opinion, it's during these peaceful moments that we can reflect and truly connect with ourselves.

Having some quality "me time" and a consistent bedtime routine really helps us keep our sanity, doesn't it? What do you think makes these nurturing rituals so essential for our well-being? In my opinion, it's during these peaceful moments that we can reflect and truly connect with ourselves.
It's during these quiet moments that we get to recharge and remind ourselves of the bigger picture - almost like a little perspective reset. It helps us check in with ourselves and appreciate the present too. These little pockets of tranquility help us mums stay grounded, which I think is essential, especially when we have demanding schedules. They also make room for some self-care which, unfortunately, we often overlook.

It's during these quiet moments that we get to recharge and remind ourselves of the bigger picture - almost like a little perspective reset. It helps us check in with ourselves and appreciate the present too. These little pockets of tranquility help us mums stay grounded, which I think is essential, especially when we have demanding schedules. They also make room for some self-care which, unfortunately, we often overlook.
I've found that having these routines makes me feel like I'm better equipped to face challenges because, somehow, they give a sense of control over other areas in life too. Does that make sense?

On another note, how does your son react when he sees you sketching or painting? My daughter would want to join me immediately and end up "helping" with her own special "artistic touches"!

I've found that having these routines makes me feel like I'm better equipped to face challenges because, somehow, they give a sense of control over other areas in life too. Does that make sense?

On another note, how does your son react when he sees you sketching or painting? My daughter would want to join me immediately and end up "helping" with her own special "artistic touches"!
Lately, my son has been really into helping and will shout excitedly, "Mummy, I'm here to hep u!" which is super endearing. He'd usually grab his own notepad and pencils and copy what I'm doing - very sweet! Though most of the time it's more scribbling than actual drawing, so it's a nice independence builder for him too, keeping him busy while I work on my art.

Lately, my son has been really into helping and will shout excitedly, "Mummy, I'm here to hep u!" which is super endearing. He'd usually grab his own notepad and pencils and copy what I'm doing - very sweet! Though most of the time it's more scribbling than actual drawing, so it's a nice independence builder for him too, keeping him busy while I work on my art.
You're spot on about how these routines give a sense of control - It's almost like having a personal reset button, which helps us navigate other challenges with a fresh(er) mind!

You're spot on about how these routines give a sense of control - It's almost like having a personal reset button, which helps us navigate other challenges with a fresh(er) mind!
Having that reset time really keeps the mom burnout at bay, doesn't it? It's wonderful that you've found what works so well for you and stick to it! Any suggestions on how we could include our little ones in our self-care routines? Besides the artistic sessions, I mean! It's heartwarming to hear your son loves to "help" you.

Having that reset time really keeps the mom burnout at bay, doesn't it? It's wonderful that you've found what works so well for you and stick to it! Any suggestions on how we could include our little ones in our self-care routines? Besides the artistic sessions, I mean! It's heartwarming to hear your son loves to "help" you.
It's nice to do things that involve sensory experiences for both of you, like preparing bath bombs or soaps together, especially when they're at an age where they like to help and imitate what grown-ups do! You could also plan a simple mini picnic by the window if the weather's good - an easy change of scenery can be refreshing!

It's nice to do things that involve sensory experiences for both of you, like preparing bath bombs or soaps together, especially when they're at an age where they like to help and imitate what grown-ups do! You could also plan a simple mini picnic by the window if the weather's good - an easy change of scenery can be refreshing!
That certainly sounds like fun and makes self-care more enjoyable with the family. The opportunities are endless when you use your imagination! Any other creative suggestions, mums?

That certainly sounds like fun and makes self-care more enjoyable with the family. The opportunities are endless when you use your imagination! Any other creative suggestions, mums?
There are many different ways that self care routines can look like with kids around! Some of them can be messy so precautions for spills should be prepared in advance. One fun thing to do is prepare home-made natural dyes and have some tie-dye fun! You could also prep some simple meals together if your helpers are old enough, it's a good way to introduce them to cooking. Making cookies is another fun and easy one!

There are many different ways that self care routines can look like with kids around! Some of them can be messy so precautions for spills should be prepared in advance. One fun thing to do is prepare home-made natural dyes and have some tie-dye fun! You could also prep some simple meals together if your helpers are old enough, it's a good way to introduce them to cooking. Making cookies is another fun and easy one!
It seems like including our kids in our self-care sessions can be very rewarding! They learn life skills, and we get to bond with them. It's win-win I wonder how creative some of the little ones must be, seeing their unique ways of "helping."

It seems like including our kids in our self-care sessions can be very rewarding! They learn life skills, and we get to bond with them. It's win-win I wonder how creative some of the little ones must be, seeing their unique ways of "helping."
You're right; it's a great way for both parties to have fun and bond! It's lovely to see their tiny hands at work, especially when they take pride in their contributions. A mess is inevitable, but as long as everyone's having fun and learning, it's all good!

You're right; it's a great way for both parties to have fun and bond! It's lovely to see their tiny hands at work, especially when they take pride in their contributions. A mess is inevitable, but as long as everyone's having fun and learning, it's all good!
Some kids surprise us with their observations too; you never know, they might just share insights that give you a different perspective on things!

Some kids surprise us with their observations too; you never know, they might just share insights that give you a different perspective on things!
I suppose they do observe a lot more than we think they do! It's amazing how such little people can come up with big ideas and insights. It warms the heart to hear their thoughts out of the blue sometimes.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu