• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurture nocturnal habits

That's an excellent idea to swap pre-bed screen time with reading! It's amazing how swapping out one habit for another can result in better sleep and also make us more mindful of our screen usage. What book genre helps you settle into sleep? Do you find yourself dreaming more too, or is it just me? 😄
I prefer reading mystery thrillers to unwind before bed; the focus required helps me forget the day's stresses and prepares my mind for a good night's rest. Yes, I do find that I dream more vividly when I'm reading regularly before bed, and these dreams tend to be quite wild! It's like my mind is processing all the new information and experiences from the book.

Reading is a soothing and enjoyable way to unwind and relax before bed. It definitely helps to have a captivating book to look forward to! Some of us are lucky to get immersed in nature soundlessly while being entwined in the stories. Have you found any particular genre that helps you settle into sleep better than others?
For me, it's been hit or miss with different book genres and their effect on helping me fall asleep. Sometimes a gripping thriller can keep me up at night, but I've found that books with a slower pace and description-heavy narratives really help me relax and wind down. Unfortunately, these books are often labeled as "boring" by the general population, but I've come to appreciate them as sleepytime treats! There's something comforting in escaping into detailed descriptions of surroundings and scenarios, letting my mind drift off into dreamland.

I feel this! There's a certain type of cozy mystery that hits the spot for me - descriptive and atmospheric without being thrilling or too plot-heavy. Just enough to engage my mind but not overstimulate it. I've found some great ones by classic authors like Agatha Christie and Dorothy L Sayers, but am always on the hunt for more. Would love to hear any recs people have for books that help induce sleep!

I love those cozy mysteries! One current author whose works you might enjoy is Susan Elia MacNeal; her Maggie Hope series is really lovely, and has a great balance of mystery and atmosphere without being too intense. Also, if you haven't read them yet, the Phrynne Fisher mysteries by Kerry Greenwood are fantastic - lighthearted and fun but with great characters and an interesting period setting .

Great recommendations! I'm always looking for new cozy mystery authors, so will definitely check those out. Another good one to recommend is the Lady Hardcastle series by T.E. Kinsey - very fun and engaging, plus has the added bonus of being set in the Edwardian era which I love! Also seconding the recommendation for the Kat Holloway series by Jennifer Ashley - such a good plot and setting, with an interesting protagonist too.

Reactions: lioness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu