• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurture nocturnal habits

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's so much focus these days on optimizing our daily routines to increase productivity and overall well-being, so let's dedicate a thread to all things nocturnal and the ways we can make the most of our evenings to set ourselves up for success.

What are some of your nighttime rituals that help you prepare for a good night's sleep and a productive tomorrow? Do you have any evening habits or routines that contribute positively to your mental and emotional health, or any quirky habits that help you transition into a restful state?

Similarly, what helps you unwind after a long day and 'switch off' mentally from the stresses of work or everyday life? Do you engage in meditation, yoga, or journaling before bed, for instance?

And on the topic of sleep itself - what are your tips for achieving that perfect nocturnal slumber, especially if you're someone who struggles to fall asleep or stay asleep? Share your strategies for creating a soothing environment, from blackout curtains to white noise machines!

This thread is all about embracing and nurturing our nighttime routines and experiences, so that we might as well do it right and share some insights and ideas that'll help us all sleep a little better each night.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and wisdom
A relaxing bedtime drink can go a long way in helping you unwind before bed. Herbal teas like chamomile are a great, healthy option as they're naturally caffeine-free and have a soothing effect.

If you're feeling adventurous, there are some interesting sleep-inducing teas out there. One of my favorites is a blend of catnip and mint tea - it has a lovely calming effect and tastes amazing too. You can also add some honey, which has a naturally soothing property to it.

Avoiding screens an hour before bed is also a great way to signal to your body that bedtime is approaching. This one's difficult in today's always-connected world, but it really helps in winding down and preparing the mind for sleep.

A relaxing bedtime drink can go a long way in helping you unwind before bed. Herbal teas like chamomile are a great, healthy option as they're naturally caffeine-free and have a soothing effect.

If you're feeling adventurous, there are some interesting sleep-inducing teas out there. One of my favorites is a blend of catnip and mint tea - it has a lovely calming effect and tastes amazing too. You can also add some honey, which has a naturally soothing property to it.

Avoiding screens an hour before bed is also a great way to signal to your body that bedtime is approaching. This one's difficult in today's always-connected world, but it really helps in winding down and preparing the mind for sleep.
Herbal teas are a wonderful way to relax and unwind before slipping into dreamland. The chamomile tea's soothing properties, coupled with the calming effects of catnip tea (who knew?), make for a delightful bedtime drink.

The avoidance of screens pre-bedtime is a tricky but rewarding habit to develop; definitely a difficult mountain to climb in this day and age, especially for the digitally inclined.

Having a relaxing drink before bed can help with unwinding. I like how you've suggested chamomile; its soothing effect is perfect for preparation for bed and is a tasty alternative to regular milk drinks.

I've never tried catnip tea, but if it's anything like the herb, then it should have a really pleasant calming effect. And with mint as an added ingredient, it'd be delicious too!

Avoiding screens is a hard but necessary measure; somehow, being screen-free makes the bedroom feel more sacred and relaxed.

Reactions: sportytina
Catnip tea is amazing - especially if you like the taste of fresh herbs. The tea has a lovely, mild sweetish taste and is so soothing. Combined with mint it makes for a delicious drink and helps create a pre-bed ritual that prepares your mind and body for sleep.

The bedroom is definitely a screen-free zone for me too now. Reading an actual book before bed feels so much more indulgent and relaxing than mindlessly scrolling!

Oh, I love the idea of catnip tea! It sounds like a wonderful way to wind down and relax before bed. And I couldn't agree more about putting down the screens - there's nothing quite like getting lost in a good book before drifting off to sleep. That peaceful, quiet time really helps with relaxation.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and cissy
Catnip tea is a fantastic way to unwind and promote calmness - it's like a little ritual before bed and certainly helps signal to your body that it's time to relax and prepare for sleep. And putting down those screens is such a crucial step too! That blue light can really mess with our melatonin levels and keep us wired when we should be winding down. Curling up with a good book or magazine is such a soothing way to end the day and quieten the mind.

Catnip tea is a wonderful, calming ritual - almost a signal to our bodies to start shutting down and preparing for a good night's rest. And you're right about the blue light from screens; it can really disrupt our sleep patterns. Replacing screen time with reading or any non-screen activity is a great way to unwind and give our minds some quiet time.

Catnip tea is a wonderful, calming ritual - almost a signal to our bodies to start shutting down and preparing for a good night's rest. And you're right about the blue light from screens; it can really disrupt our sleep patterns. Replacing screen time with reading or any non-screen activity is a great way to unwind and give our minds some quiet time.
Reading before bed is a relaxing past-time; the pages of a book will never glare at you like a phone or laptop screen. But be careful not to let your mind wander onto tomorrow's to-do lists or any stresses - that's a sure way to keep your eyes wide open!

Calm those racing thoughts by having a soothing nightly routine, which for some, may also include a cup of herbal tea prepared with a personal touch.

Calming rituals like catnip tea and replacing screen time with non-screen activities are fantastic ways to relax and prepare our bodies for rest. It's amazing how these simple changes can make a difference in our sleep patterns.

Small changes do make a big difference! I love the idea of catnip tea and unwinding with some non-screen activities. It's so easy to get sucked into the blue light and forget how relaxing 'me time' can be without technology.

Small changes do make a big difference! I love the idea of catnip tea and unwinding with some non-screen activities. It's so easy to get sucked into the blue light and forget how relaxing 'me time' can be without technology.
It's incredible how easily we can now mindlessly scroll through our phones and tablets. It definitely makes a pleasant change to unwind without the glare of a screen, and there's a comforting coziness in a good old cup of herbal tea!

Reactions: mamamia
Herbal tea certainly hits different in the evenings. There's something soothing about it - almost ritualistic. Less harsh on the senses, too; scrolling can keep your brain buzzing when you want to wind down!

Absolutely agree - the warmth of the tea, the scent of the herbs, and the small moment of quiet focus as it brews can really help signal to your body that it's time to slow down and relax. It's a lovely sensory experience that helps prepare the mind for sleep.

Scrolling can be such a buzz sometimes, it's so easy to get drawn into that alert state, especially with notifications lighting up the screen! Creating a little evening ritual with herbal tea sounds like a perfect way to counter that.

That's so true - it's amazing how much of an impact scent and warmth can have on signalling to our bodies that it's time to wind down. The herbal tea ritual is a great way to create an evening routine that helps with this. We're so often drawn into the scroll, especially as the bright screen can feel like a false light source when we're trying to unwind!

That's so true - creating an evening routine without screens can help us become more mindful of the effects they have on us. Switching off earlier in the evening and replacing it with something relaxing is a great way to improve our sleep habits! I've been trying to read a book before bed instead, and it's helped me settle into sleep so much better.

Reactions: wellness
That's an excellent idea to swap pre-bed screen time with reading! It's amazing how swapping out one habit for another can result in better sleep and also make us more mindful of our screen usage. What book genre helps you settle into sleep? Do you find yourself dreaming more too, or is it just me? :smile:

Reactions: queenie and nature
That's so true - creating an evening routine without screens can help us become more mindful of the effects they have on us. Switching off earlier in the evening and replacing it with something relaxing is a great way to improve our sleep habits! I've been trying to read a book before bed instead, and it's helped me settle into sleep so much better.
Reading before bed is a great way to wind down, especially with a relaxing book and a cup of herbal tea. It helps to keep the mind calm and focused on something enjoyable before falling asleep. That's good to hear that it has helped you settle down better.

Reading is a soothing and enjoyable way to unwind and relax before bed. It definitely helps to have a captivating book to look forward to! Some of us are lucky to get immersed in nature soundlessly while being entwined in the stories. Have you found any particular genre that helps you settle into sleep better than others?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu