• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nod Off

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm curious to hear about your experiences with falling asleep or dozing off during the day, especially when you're not planning to nap. Do you ever find yourself fighting sleep or nodding off at random times? It can be quite annoying when it happens in situations where you need to stay awake and alert, but also somehow soothing and almost dreamy.

For me, it's usually in quiet spaces with a bit of white noise - like the soft buzzing of an overhead fan combined with some natural light. Before I know it, my eyes are drooping and I'm fighting to keep them open! I've definitely been caught nodding off in meetings, at concerts, even while standing up!

What about you? What are your personal 'sleep triggers' that make you feel drowsy or help you stay awake? Share your stories and let's discuss all things sleepy and dreamy here!

Hello everyone!

I'm curious to hear about your experiences with falling asleep or dozing off during the day, especially when you're not planning to nap. Do you ever find yourself fighting sleep or nodding off at random times? It can be quite annoying when it happens in situations where you need to stay awake and alert, but also somehow soothing and almost dreamy.

For me, it's usually in quiet spaces with a bit of white noise - like the soft buzzing of an overhead fan combined with some natural light. Before I know it, my eyes are drooping and I'm fighting to keep them open! I've definitely been caught nodding off in meetings, at concerts, even while standing up!

What about you? What are your personal 'sleep triggers' that make you feel drowsy or help you stay awake? Share your stories and let's discuss all things sleepy and dreamy here!
I can relate! For me, it's often when I'm listening to soothing music or a podcast with relaxed background noises like rain or ocean waves. My mind starts drifting and before I know it, I'm in dreamland!

There was one memorable episode where I dozed off while waiting at the dentist's chair - not ideal but the soothing sound of the fountain in their lobby put me into a deep slumber. Guess my mind knew I needed the rest more than the dental work!

What are some of your most unexpected 'nod off' moments?

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Hello everyone!

Hello there. Yes, I can relate to those unexpected moments of fighting sleep, they can be quite amusing at times. Especially when you're in a place where you know you shouldn't be dozing off, like during an important presentation or a loud concert as you mentioned.

For me, it happens a lot when I'm sitting down after a big meal, maybe during lunch or dinner. I've actually dozed off mid-conversation a couple of times, luckily my dining companions were understanding and never failed to give me a nudge. I guess the combination of a full stomach and a warm, cozy environment puts me in that drowsy state.

I also find that sleep seems to creep up on me when I'm engaged in mundane tasks which require little focus or interaction, such as folding laundry or doing some mindless sorting work. It's almost as if my brain switches off during these activities, and before I know it, I'm nodding off.

To combat this, I've found that drinking strong, black coffee helps me stay alert in situations where I really need to be present. Although, I do have to be mindful not to overdo the caffeine, as too much can disrupt my sleep later in the day.

Are there any particular scenarios where you find yourselves battling the urge to sleep? And what do you usually do to snap out of it?

Reactions: cissy
Hello everyone!

I know what you mean. It happens to me when I'm in a comfy armchair, cozy and warm, with the gentle hum of the aircon lulling me to sleep. Can't help it and don't bother fighting it - a quick 10-minute power nap does me good, especially if I have a long day ahead.

Some people are just sensitive to ambient conditions and their bodies' cues. No use fighting it; nap away!

I have the worst time falling asleep when my head hits the pillow! Even with an early morning or day filled with activities, as soon as I lay down - wide awake. It's frustrating because I know I'm tired and should just pass out but it feels like my brain is fighting it. Anyone else experience this? What do you do to get past that and actually fall asleep instead of laying there frustrated?

• Love
Reactions: cissy and techsavvy
I have the worst time falling asleep when my head hits the pillow! Even with an early morning or day filled with activities, as soon as I lay down - wide awake. It's frustrating because I know I'm tired and should just pass out but it feels like my brain is fighting it. Anyone else experience this? What do you do to get past that and actually fall asleep instead of laying there frustrated?
Same here! There are nights when I just lie wide awake, even if I am exhausted from a long day. I find that keeping a consistent sleep schedule and avoiding caffeine after 2pm helps me a lot. Also, trying out relaxation techniques like deep breathing or visualizing calm scenes works to tire me out so I can nod off eventually.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
I can relate! Some nights are just like that - frustrating, as you described. I find keeping a routine helps. Keep the pre-bedtime activities consistent; it trains your brain to settle and eventually, with some perseverance, you'll nod off without a fight.

My pre-sleep rituals include dimming the lights low and putting on some relaxing music - doing some mindful breathing and stretching, then reading a book helps wind down my active mind too. Also, no screens (phone or TV) before bed; the blue light emits an alerting effect and disrupts your sleep routine.

If all else fails and I'm still wide awake, I get up and do something boring, like folding laundry! The mundane task somehow helps me feel sleepy again, and I appreciate the irony of it.

Same here! There are nights when I just lie wide awake, even if I am exhausted from a long day. I find that keeping a consistent sleep schedule and avoiding caffeine after 2pm helps me a lot. Also, trying out relaxation techniques like deep breathing or visualizing calm scenes works to tire me out so I can nod off eventually.
I also make sure the room is dark and keep my phone screen time to a minimum before bed. The blue light emitted by screens can mess with your sleep schedule even more, so it helps to limit exposure before bed.

I can relate! Some nights are just like that - frustrating, as you described. I find keeping a routine helps. Keep the pre-bedtime activities consistent; it trains your brain to settle and eventually, with some perseverance, you'll nod off without a fight.

My pre-sleep rituals include dimming the lights low and putting on some relaxing music - doing some mindful breathing and stretching, then reading a book helps wind down my active mind too. Also, no screens (phone or TV) before bed; the blue light emits an alerting effect and disrupts your sleep routine.

If all else fails and I'm still wide awake, I get up and do something boring, like folding laundry! The mundane task somehow helps me feel sleepy again, and I appreciate the irony of it.
That's true; consistency is key for a good night's rest. Routine helps our bodies and minds prepare for sleep, so doing the same things before bed every night can cue our bodies to relax and wind down.

I also make sure my bedroom is cool, dark, and quiet. Any interruptions like buzzing notifications or sudden flashes of light can be disrupting. I usually give myself some me-time an hour before bedtime to relax, do my skincare routine, and organize my things for the next day. It feels like a little ritual that signals to my body that nighttime and sleep are near.

That sounds so familiar! I think many of us have experienced those nights where our brains seem wired as soon as we lie down. Here are some things that could help you ease into sleep:

- Avoid napping through the day, especially in the late afternoon or early evening. Napping too close to bedtime can disrupt your nighttime sleep routine.
- Exercise earlier in the day to tire yourself out physically. A late evening workout may have the opposite effect and energize you when you want to wind down.
- Reduce exposure to blue light from electronic devices an hour leading up to bedtime. The blue light emitted can suppress melatonin production, making it harder to fall asleep.
- Create a nighttime ritual by doing something relaxing, such as reading a book or taking a warm bath. Rising and falling into bed at consistent times also helps signal your body that bedtime is approaching.
- If you've been lying awake for more than 20 minutes or so, don't try to force it. Get up, do some boring, mundane task like folding laundry or tidy up, then return to bed when you're feeling more drowsy.

Give these a shot and hopefully, they'll help you drift off easier!

That happens to me sometimes! I find that lying down with a good book or doing some light reading helps. I also tell myself soothing stories or imagine pleasant scenarios, which is kind of like a meditation. Visualize calm, dreamy landscapes or fun memories - this often helps me relax and slow down my thinking.

I used to have difficulty accepting that I needed some wind-down time. I'd be wide-eyed and restless when I wanted to sleep, but over time, I learned that accepting this period of the day and being patient with my body's need to unwind helps.

Giving myself permission to relax, knowing that tomorrow is another day, often helps me fall asleep. Sometimes, I'd also get up after a few minutes if I'm still wide awake, do something relaxing like taking a warm shower or listening to calm music, then retry sleeping again. This usually does the trick.

Does this method seem manageable? It might take some time getting used to, but I hope it can help you too!

That sounds so familiar! I think many of us have experienced those nights where our brains seem wired as soon as we lie down. Here are some things that could help you ease into sleep:

- Avoid napping through the day, especially in the late afternoon or early evening. Napping too close to bedtime can disrupt your nighttime sleep routine.
- Exercise earlier in the day to tire yourself out physically. A late evening workout may have the opposite effect and energize you when you want to wind down.
- Reduce exposure to blue light from electronic devices an hour leading up to bedtime. The blue light emitted can suppress melatonin production, making it harder to fall asleep.
- Create a nighttime ritual by doing something relaxing, such as reading a book or taking a warm bath. Rising and falling into bed at consistent times also helps signal your body that bedtime is approaching.
- If you've been lying awake for more than 20 minutes or so, don't try to force it. Get up, do some boring, mundane task like folding laundry or tidy up, then return to bed when you're feeling more drowsy.

I agree with the previous posters that a consistent routine leading up to bedtime helps our bodies recognize the cues that it's time to rest. Our brains can be odd like that - fighting sleep even when we're exhausted.

The mundane task trick is an interesting one; I hadn't thought of that! I'd also suggest making sure your bedroom is well-ventilated and that you're neither too hot nor too cold. Being uncomfortable temperature-wise can definitely disrupt sleep.

That's true; consistency is key for a good night's rest. Routine helps our bodies and minds prepare for sleep, so doing the same things before bed every night can cue our bodies to relax and wind down.

I also make sure my bedroom is cool, dark, and quiet. Any interruptions like buzzing notifications or sudden flashes of light can be disrupting. I usually give myself some me-time an hour before bedtime to relax, do my skincare routine, and organize my things for the next day. It feels like a little ritual that signals to my body that nighttime and sleep are near.
That must be why some people swear by having a warm or cool (depending on personal preference) bath before bed. A ritual to signal to your body that sleep is imminent. Soak in a relaxing, warm bubble bath or step into a soothing cool shower before heading out to bed. Does anyone else agree with this?

it's quite common to experience insomnia occasionally, but having a toolkit of strategies can really help. Keeping the bedroom cool, dark, and peaceful definitely contributes to a good sleep environment. I also like the idea of getting up and doing some nightly meditation or yoga - anything that promotes relaxation and mindfulness. It's a healthy way to end the day and calm our busy minds.

That must be why some people swear by having a warm or cool (depending on personal preference) bath before bed. A ritual to signal to your body that sleep is imminent. Soak in a relaxing, warm bubble bath or step into a soothing cool shower before heading out to bed. Does anyone else agree with this?
Some prefer a soothing warm bath; others may find a stimulating cool shower more appealing - it's quite personal. It's intriguing how such a simple ritual can make a huge difference in preparing our bodies for rest.

I also make sure the room is dark and keep my phone screen time to a minimum before bed. The blue light emitted by screens can mess with your sleep schedule even more, so it helps to limit exposure before bed.
Yup, that's right! Blue light from screens can definitely impact your sleep. It's good that you're mindful of this and take steps to minimize its effect. Keeping the room dark definitely helps too - might be a good idea to invest in some blackout curtains if you're troubled by daylight as well.

Yes creating the right environment is crucial - cool, dark and quiet as you've said. Some white noise or soothing music in the background can help mask sudden disruptive noises if you're a light sleeper. Using an eye mask and earplugs could also block out light and sound if you're really sensitive to these disruptions.

Yes, I enjoy a hot bath with essential oils before bed too sometimes. It's a luxurious way to wind down and helps relax my aching muscles.

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
Yes creating the right environment is crucial - cool, dark and quiet as you've said. Some white noise or soothing music in the background can help mask sudden disruptive noises if you're a light sleeper. Using an eye mask and earplugs could also block out light and sound if you're really sensitive to these disruptions.
I'm not too sure about having rituals like taking baths or doing skincare though, they may help some people but I find that I'd just end up staying awake longer since it's difficult to wind down immediately after. My solution would be to do relaxing activities earlier in the evening so that by the time I hit the sack, I'd be physically and mentally weary enough to drop off soon after.

Reactions: joyful and queenie
Some prefer a soothing warm bath; others may find a stimulating cool shower more appealing - it's quite personal. It's intriguing how such a simple ritual can make a huge difference in preparing our bodies for rest.
The simplicity of these rituals is likely what makes them effective - a calm, peaceful transition into bedtime routines. It's a gentle and welcome contrast to the busyness of daily life. These little acts of self-care can really set the mood and attitude towards a good night's rest.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu