• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nod Off

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
koala sought advice for getting her son to sleep, as he had started fighting it recently. The best solution offered was a lively, energetic wind-down period before nap time, involving silly play and exercise to exhaust the child. This active approach, it was suggested, would shift the child's mindset from resisting sleep to welcoming it. The discussion then focused on the wonderful, exhausting and heartwarming energy that children bring, often acting as a reminder to appreciate life's simple joys and wonderments more. The uninhibited enthusiasm of kids, their authenticity and emotional honesty were highlighted as precious gifts of their innocence, offering a refreshing perspective on parenting and 'adulting' in general.

I'm curious to hear your routines and methods for getting your little ones to sleep. My son recently started fighting sleep and it's taking hours to get him down, especially for naps. I've tried all I can think of to make his room sleep-friendly - black out curtains, white noise machine, comfortable temp - but he just resists! Any tips would be so welcome!

My daughter went through a phase like this too - I found that giving her a really fun, active wind-down period before nap time helped. Like, really goofy, over the top silly playtime for 15 mins or so before I started the bedtime routine - running around the house, playing hide and seek, tickle fights, etc. She'd be properly exhausted by the time I started the actual sleep routine and it shifted her mindset from resistance to sleepiness. Also, if he's old enough, encouraging him to help with the bedtime setup could work - like choosing the story and helping put the pillows in place etc. Giving him some autonomy and making the prep fun might help him feel more ready for sleep.

Good luck - I know that relentless tiredness that comes from a child fighting sleep!

My daughter went through a phase like this too - I found that giving her a really fun, active wind-down period before nap time helped. Like, really goofy, over the top silly playtime for 15 mins or so before I started the bedtime routine - running around the house, playing hide and seek, tickle fights, etc. She'd be properly exhausted by the time I started the actual sleep routine and it shifted her mindset from resistance to sleepiness. Also, if he's old enough, encouraging him to help with the bedtime setup could work - like choosing the story and helping put the pillows in place etc. Giving him some autonomy and making the prep fun might help him feel more ready for sleep.

Good luck - I know that relentless tiredness that comes from a child fighting sleep!
An active wind-down is a great idea! My kids love it when I initiate goofy playtime; I think I'll make it a pre-bed ritual now! Thanks for sharing!

• Love
Reactions: musical and koala
An active wind-down is a great idea! My kids love it when I initiate goofy playtime; I think I'll make it a pre-bed ritual now! Thanks for sharing!
An energetic wind-down is a fun way to help your little ones sleep soundly. Have fun and enjoy those giggles!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
My pleasure. Goofing around before bed can really help with their physical and emotional release, and tire them out too! Have fun and enjoy the silly times ahead!

Do you have any other wind-down techniques that work well for your little ones? I'm always keen to discover new ideas!

An energetic wind-down is a fun way to help your little ones sleep soundly. Have fun and enjoy those giggles!
We love our wild dance parties and it's a great way for my kids to burn some energy before bed! They always sleep well after a crazy wind-down session.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
That's adorable! There's something so sweet about kids and their uninhibited expression of energy and exhaustion - and then the peace of sleep. I love the image of the flush cheeks and wild hair; it's almost as if they're still dancing even while they dream.

I agree! There's a beautiful honesty to their sleep, so raw and unrestrained. It's as though they're little performance artists, putting on an extemporized show of their most authentic selves for us. We're lucky to have them!

I agree! There's a beautiful honesty to their sleep, so raw and unrestrained. It's as though they're little performance artists, putting on an extemporized show of their most authentic selves for us. We're lucky to have them!
It's fascinating to observe the wide range of emotions that come with motherhood and how kids bring so much more than joy to our lives. Their innocence and unfiltered personalities are a reminder of a purer world.

It's fascinating to observe the wide range of emotions that come with motherhood and how kids bring so much more than joy to our lives. Their innocence and unfiltered personalities are a reminder of a purer world.
Yes, children have a way of bringing perspective and adding depth to our lives. They experience the world with an authenticity and honesty that's captivating. It's a lovely reminder of the simplicity of happiness and emotion.

They're incredibly powerful, aren't they? A window into the soul, as they say; our little ones wear their hearts on their sleeves and experience such a wide, vivid array of emotions. We're lucky to witness their raw, unfiltered feelings, even if it can be exhausting!

Reactions: travelmum
They're incredibly powerful, aren't they? A window into the soul, as they say; our little ones wear their hearts on their sleeves and experience such a wide, vivid array of emotions. We're lucky to witness their raw, unfiltered feelings, even if it can be exhausting!
Yup, kids have a way of showing their true, uninhibited selves, especially when they're so young. Their world is filled with such vivid wonder and excitement; it's draining but also so pure and heartwarming to see.

Reactions: doctormama
That's true! Kids have a way of bringing us back to that youthful energy - even if it's only for a moment, it's refreshing. They experience new things with such excitement, and their curiosity is so raw and authentic, it's inspiring!

Absolutely, being around children can be like experiencing a newfound sense of wonder, isn't it? Their unfiltered excitement is infectious and reminds us of the simple joys in life. It's a beautiful, refreshing perspective to witness the world through their eyes – full of wide-eyed awe and curiosity. They help us relive our own forgotten childish enthusiasm and remind us that growing up doesn't have to dull our sense of wonder and joy!

Absolutely, being around children can be like experiencing a newfound sense of wonder, isn't it? Their unfiltered excitement is infectious and reminds us of the simple joys in life. It's a beautiful, refreshing perspective to witness the world through their eyes – full of wide-eyed awe and curiosity. They help us relive our own forgotten childish enthusiasm and remind us that growing up doesn't have to dull our sense of wonder and joy!
It's a great perspective on parenting you have there, an encouragement to remember the simple delights in life that one can easily forget as a busy adult.

It's a great perspective on parenting you have there, an encouragement to remember the simple delights in life that one can easily forget as a busy adult.
Thanks! It's easy to forget the wonderment through the busyness of adulthood. I find myself catching glimpses of it now and then through my son's eyes though - like a secret reminder for me to slow down and appreciate the small joys. Life can be delightful when we allow ourselves to see beyond our adulting duties.

It's a beautiful perspective you shared, seeing the world through a child's eyes - a reminder to slow down and appreciate the magic around us. Life can be so much more enjoyable when we take a step back and nod off from our 'adulting' responsibilities for a moment. It's wonderful that your son is helping you see and appreciate the little joys!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu