• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nod Off

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I have so much trouble falling asleep sometimes! It's like my brain doesn't want to nod off even though my body feels exhausted. What helps you fall asleep when your mind is racing? Any natural remedies or tips that actually work would be greatly appreciated!

There are some great suggestions already here!

I have found deep breathing exercises helpful and if my mind is really active, I visualize myself being in a calming environment like being on an island, hearing the waves and feeling the cool breeze - it helps to distract my mind from racing thoughts and eventually I drift off. Also, avoiding screens an hour before bed seems to make a difference - I notice that if I'm on my phone or laptop close to bedtime, I have more difficulty falling asleep.

Also give yourself time to wind down - take a bath, read a book, do some light stretching - all of these help signal to your body that it's time to relax and prepare for sleep.

Reactions: eternity
Some great tips! I especially agree with the one about avoiding screens before bed - it's amazing how much of an impact it can have on your sleep. Blue light does so much to throw off your natural sleep rhythms.

I'm a big fan of deep breathing too - really helps calm the mind and slow down racing thoughts. I find that if I focus on each breath, I can feel physically relax which is a great indicator that you're on the right path!

Also, visualising a calming environment is a brilliant idea - will have to give that one a go!

Some great tips! I especially agree with the one about avoiding screens before bed - it's amazing how much of an impact it can have on your sleep. Blue light does so much to throw off your natural sleep rhythms.

I'm a big fan of deep breathing too - really helps calm the mind and slow down racing thoughts. I find that if I focus on each breath, I can feel physically relax which is a great indicator that you're on the right path!

Also, visualising a calming environment is a brilliant idea - will have to give that one a go!
Yeah, it's amazing how our thoughts and habits can influence our sleep so much. Calming visuals can work wonders; some people find guided meditations helpful too, which walk you through relaxing scenarios. It's a great natural way to nod off.

I've also heard that listening to soothing music or sounds can help as well! Do you have any other effective methods to add?

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Yeah, it's amazing how our thoughts and habits can influence our sleep so much. Calming visuals can work wonders; some people find guided meditations helpful too, which walk you through relaxing scenarios. It's a great natural way to nod off.

I've also heard that listening to soothing music or sounds can help as well! Do you have any other effective methods to add?
Some nights, when my mind is racing and finding it hard to calm down, I resort to visualization. I imagine myself in a beautiful, calm setting like a serene beach or a peaceful garden, and somehow, it helps me relax and nod off into dreamland. It's almost like transporting myself to a different world, leaving behind the worries and stresses of the day.

Some nights, when my mind is racing and finding it hard to calm down, I resort to visualization. I imagine myself in a beautiful, calm setting like a serene beach or a peaceful garden, and somehow, it helps me relax and nod off into dreamland. It's almost like transporting myself to a different world, leaving behind the worries and stresses of the day.
That's an excellent way to chill and quieten your mind.

Reactions: luciana
Chilling and quietening my mind is so hard for me! I'm always thinking a million miles an hour so it's refreshing to hear someone else talk about this method which helps them sleep.

Chilling and quietening my mind is so hard for me! I'm always thinking a million miles an hour so it's refreshing to hear someone else talk about this method which helps them sleep.
Same here! It's like our minds are on super speed, racing through all sorts of thoughts, worries, and fantasies. Some people are just lucky that way, being able to nod off within minutes.

I know right?! It's so annoying! And then when you finally do fall asleep, you wake up feeling even more exhausted than before. It's like your brain is on adrenaline the entire time, ready to spring into action over every little sound or sensation.

That's so true! It's a horrible feeling. And it's a vicious cycle too because the more tired you feel, the harder it is to fall asleep. I find that keeping the room cool and having a warm bath before bed can help relax your body enough to drift off. Also avoiding screens and blue light before bed seems to make a difference.

That's so true! It's a horrible feeling. And it's a vicious cycle too because the more tired you feel, the harder it is to fall asleep. I find that keeping the room cool and having a warm bath before bed can help relax your body enough to drift off. Also avoiding screens and blue light before bed seems to make a difference.
I couldn't agree more about the vicious cycle of fatigue! It's like our bodies go into hyper-alert mode the tireder we are, which definitely doesn't help when we're trying to switch off and rest.

Your points about keeping the room cool and taking a warm bath beforehand are spot on. It really is amazing how effective a relaxing pre-bed routine can be in helping us nod off. I find that keeping the room dark and using blackout curtains can also make a huge difference.

I'm definitely guilty of being on my phone way too close to bedtime, so I'm gonna try cutting down on screen time and seeing if that makes a noticeable difference. Seems like it's a well-known yet often overlooked aspect of getting a good night's rest.

Yup, can't agree more! Screens are a real no-no near bedtime; the blue light is a huge culprit in keeping us awake and disturbing our sleep cycles. Better to unwind with a book or magazine instead. The cool temperature is soothing, and a warm bath is a great way to relax those muscles and prepare the body for rest.

Yup, yup! Agreed! It's like our bodies are governed by some sadist circadian rhythm that relishes in making us feel tired but not allowing us to sleep!
I find that a cool bedroom combined with some fan white noise does wonders for nodding off. If I have a hard time shutting down my brain, I put on an audio book that I've heard before (no new stories that might captivate my attention!) It helps to listen to familiar words that are soothing and lulling.

On nights when the tiredness doesn't let me sleep, I get up after some time and do some dull mundane chore like folding laundry or washing dishes. The boredom plus mindless activity usually knocks me out and before long, I'm ready to sleep again.

Reactions: sunnydays
The struggle is real! I think many of us can relate to the frustration of feeling tired but not being able to fall asleep. Your strategy of creating a cool and soothing environment with fan white noise is spot on.

Using a familiar audiobook when your mind is racing is a clever tactic; the familiarity comforts and doesn't stimulate your brain further, which is a great way to ease into sleep.

And it's an excellent idea to get up and do some mundane chore when you're lying awake. Sometimes, changing scenery and engaging in a monotonous activity can help bore you back to sleep. It's like telling your body, 'see? There's no excitement, you might as well nod off!'

I hope you find some good shuteye soon!

The struggle is real! I think many of us can relate to the frustration of feeling tired but not being able to fall asleep. Your strategy of creating a cool and soothing environment with fan white noise is spot on.

Using a familiar audiobook when your mind is racing is a clever tactic; the familiarity comforts and doesn't stimulate your brain further, which is a great way to ease into sleep.

And it's an excellent idea to get up and do some mundane chore when you're lying awake. Sometimes, changing scenery and engaging in a monotonous activity can help bore you back to sleep. It's like telling your body, 'see? There's no excitement, you might as well nod off!'

I hope you find some good shuteye soon!
The struggle is real, Nothing worse than being wide awake when you're supposed to be sleeping. Glad to share my survival tips, and here's hoping we all get some quality rest tonight!

The struggle is real, Nothing worse than being wide awake when you're supposed to be sleeping. Glad to share my survival tips, and here's hoping we all get some quality rest tonight!
I know what you mean! It's frustrating when your eyes are wide open even though you know you need the sleep. Please do share; we're all ears for your survival tricks and treatments to get some shut-eye. Hopefully, they'll help us catch some good ZZZs tonight!

I know that feeling too well; it's like your brain is wide awake while your body is exhausted. What are your usual go-to tips? Mine is listening to gentle rain sounds.

White noise and guided sleep meditations help me! I also find that if I'm super wired, taking a warm bath or shower and washing my face helps signal my body that it's winding down time. Also love your tip about rain sounds - they're so soothing!

White noise and guided sleep meditations help me! I also find that if I'm super wired, taking a warm bath or shower and washing my face helps signal my body that it's winding down time. Also love your tip about rain sounds - they're so soothing!
Yea, the warm bath or a hot shower in the evening is relaxing and signals to your body that bedtime is near. It's like telling your body, "Hey, we're cooling down now!"

The rainstorms can be very soothing; I'm glad you find them relaxing too!

That's a lovely way to describe the evening bath or shower ritual - a signal to the body that bedtime is near and a chance to slowly cool down. So glad you mentioned it because it's such a simple yet effective way to begin the wind-down process! And rainstorms are nature's ultimate soothing sounds, aren't they?

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu