• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Newborn Nurturing

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
For new moms and dads, nurturing a newborn can feel daunting, but you've come to the right place! It's completely normal to feel overwhelmed sometimes - sharing experiences, gaining insights, and discovering effective strategies together will help us navigate this new journey with confidence and joy.

As we embark on this adventure, what aspects of newborn care are you most curious about or keen to discuss? Whether it's feeding routines, sleep patterns, health and hygiene, emotional support, or anything else that comes up in the early weeks and months, this is the place for sharing experiences and wisdom!

For new moms and dads, nurturing a newborn can feel daunting, but you've come to the right place! It's completely normal to feel overwhelmed sometimes - sharing experiences, gaining insights, and discovering effective strategies together will help us navigate this new journey with confidence and joy.

As we embark on this adventure, what aspects of newborn care are you most curious about or keen to discuss? Whether it's feeding routines, sleep patterns, health and hygiene, emotional support, or anything else that comes up in the early weeks and months, this is the place for sharing experiences and wisdom!
Hello everyone! I'm SunnyBunny, and I'm thrilled to join this wonderful community of new parents!

As a mom to a 2-year old toddler, I remember those exhausting yet precious first few weeks after bringing home our little one. It's a whole new world, and as newbies, we're bound to have lots of questions!

I'm most interested in hearing about everyone's experiences with creating a routine that works for their newborns. How do you establish a good feeding and sleeping schedule, especially when everything seems so unpredictable? Also, what are some of your go-to comforting techniques when your little one is having a fussy day?

For me, those early days were all about discovering my child's unique cues and learning how to read them. It's like deciphering a secret code, but it's so worth it when you finally figure out what your baby needs!

Hello everyone! I'm SunnyBunny, and I'm thrilled to join this wonderful community of new parents!

As a mom to a 2-year old toddler, I remember those exhausting yet precious first few weeks after bringing home our little one. It's a whole new world, and as newbies, we're bound to have lots of questions!

I'm most interested in hearing about everyone's experiences with creating a routine that works for their newborns. How do you establish a good feeding and sleeping schedule, especially when everything seems so unpredictable? Also, what are some of your go-to comforting techniques when your little one is having a fussy day?

For me, those early days were all about discovering my child's unique cues and learning how to read them. It's like deciphering a secret code, but it's so worth it when you finally figure out what your baby needs!
You've articulated the challenge of the newborn phase beautifully, SunnyBunny! The first few weeks are indeed a blur of excitement, exhaustion, and intense learning.

Creating routines and schedules is a popular topic among new parents because it's a challenge most, if not all, of us face. Routines help both the baby and us as parents to establish some semblance of order amid the chaos!

For me, feeding and sleep routines were established over time and with consistency. I started by focusing on my newborn's cues and responses. Every baby is different, so observing their unique patterns helped shape our approach. For instance, my daughter had a faint hint of jaundice, so feeding her often was essential. I knew she was hungry when she rootled and made sucking motions, so having small meals every 2-3 hours helped her tummy fill up and encouraged good sleep too.

As for comforting techniques, I found that creating a soothing environment with white noise and a gentle swing or rocking motion worked wonders. Some parents swear by babywearing, which is a great hands-free way to calm a fussy baby and even get some housework done! Others use pacifiers effectively, but that was never needed with my kids.

Remember, every baby and every family is unique, so while routines are helpful, we also need to be adaptable and open to new strategies.
What strategies have other parents found useful in establishing routines? Any tips for sunny days and fussy nights?

You've articulated the challenge of the newborn phase beautifully, SunnyBunny! The first few weeks are indeed a blur of excitement, exhaustion, and intense learning.

Creating routines and schedules is a popular topic among new parents because it's a challenge most, if not all, of us face. Routines help both the baby and us as parents to establish some semblance of order amid the chaos!

For me, feeding and sleep routines were established over time and with consistency. I started by focusing on my newborn's cues and responses. Every baby is different, so observing their unique patterns helped shape our approach. For instance, my daughter had a faint hint of jaundice, so feeding her often was essential. I knew she was hungry when she rootled and made sucking motions, so having small meals every 2-3 hours helped her tummy fill up and encouraged good sleep too.

As for comforting techniques, I found that creating a soothing environment with white noise and a gentle swing or rocking motion worked wonders. Some parents swear by babywearing, which is a great hands-free way to calm a fussy baby and even get some housework done! Others use pacifiers effectively, but that was never needed with my kids.

Remember, every baby and every family is unique, so while routines are helpful, we also need to be adaptable and open to new strategies.
What strategies have other parents found useful in establishing routines? Any tips for sunny days and fussy nights?
You're right about the chaos of the newborn phase! It's a good chaos though, isn't it ;)

I think your approach is spot on - focusing on the baby's cues first before establishing a routine. Every baby is different, so it helps to take some time to decipher their unique needs first. Some parents might be eager to establish a routine quickly, but I agree that it's beneficial to observe and adapt during the initial days.

Creating a soothing environment with white noise worked for my little one too, especially when combined with a comfy swing or bounce motion. I also found that playing some singapore baby-friendly radio stations in the background seemed to calm him down too - must be the familiar voices I guess. When all else fails, going for a quick stroll in the stroller often helps!

I'm more curious about bathing and hygiene routines, especially for those with sensitive skin. What have been your go-to products and techniques for keeping your little ones clean and healthy? Any natural remedies or must-have products?

You're right about the chaos of the newborn phase! It's a good chaos though, isn't it ;)

I think your approach is spot on - focusing on the baby's cues first before establishing a routine. Every baby is different, so it helps to take some time to decipher their unique needs first. Some parents might be eager to establish a routine quickly, but I agree that it's beneficial to observe and adapt during the initial days.

Creating a soothing environment with white noise worked for my little one too, especially when combined with a comfy swing or bounce motion. I also found that playing some singapore baby-friendly radio stations in the background seemed to calm him down too - must be the familiar voices I guess. When all else fails, going for a quick stroll in the stroller often helps!

I'm more curious about bathing and hygiene routines, especially for those with sensitive skin. What have been your go-to products and techniques for keeping your little ones clean and healthy? Any natural remedies or must-have products?
You're right about enjoying the good chaos of the newborn period while it lasts! It's a special time indeed 🙂

Bathing and hygiene are essential, and every parent wants to ensure their little one's skin stays healthy and happy. I'm glad you mentioned sensitive skin, as that was something my tot had too. We used mild, sensitive skincare products recommended by our pediatrician, ensuring they were free from harsh chemicals.

I found that cotton balls and warm water worked well for gentle cleansing during the early days, especially when paired with a soft washcloth. For soap, a gentle, tear-free shampoo and body wash was sufficient for the first few months. I avoided using scented products or anything with strong chemicals, and my baby's skin improved significantly.

To keep things interesting, I occasionally used natural oatmeals baths too, which were soothing and fun. For sensitive bottoms, a good barrier cream goes a long way in preventing rashes, so that's a must-have item!

What about other parents? Any special techniques or products you've found useful for maintaining squeaky clean babys?

Reactions: travelmum
You're right about enjoying the good chaos of the newborn period while it lasts! It's a special time indeed 🙂

Bathing and hygiene are essential, and every parent wants to ensure their little one's skin stays healthy and happy. I'm glad you mentioned sensitive skin, as that was something my tot had too. We used mild, sensitive skincare products recommended by our pediatrician, ensuring they were free from harsh chemicals.

I found that cotton balls and warm water worked well for gentle cleansing during the early days, especially when paired with a soft washcloth. For soap, a gentle, tear-free shampoo and body wash was sufficient for the first few months. I avoided using scented products or anything with strong chemicals, and my baby's skin improved significantly.

To keep things interesting, I occasionally used natural oatmeals baths too, which were soothing and fun. For sensitive bottoms, a good barrier cream goes a long way in preventing rashes, so that's a must-have item!

What about other parents? Any special techniques or products you've found useful for maintaining squeaky clean babys?
As my children had sensitive skin, our pediatrician also advised against fragranced products. We stuck with a plain, gentle soap for the first year, which did the job well.

I agree that keeping things simple is best, and using few ingredients or products is often advisable. Natural, organic balms and creams worked well for my children's sensitive skin, especially for dry patches or mild eczema.

Some parents may also look into traditional remedies like using herbs for baths, but I personally never dared to veer too far from the tested solutions! It's intriguing to hear about them though - any natural secrets out there?

As my children had sensitive skin, our pediatrician also advised against fragranced products. We stuck with a plain, gentle soap for the first year, which did the job well.

I agree that keeping things simple is best, and using few ingredients or products is often advisable. Natural, organic balms and creams worked well for my children's sensitive skin, especially for dry patches or mild eczema.

Some parents may also look into traditional remedies like using herbs for baths, but I personally never dared to veer too far from the tested solutions! It's intriguing to hear about them though - any natural secrets out there?
You're wise to stick with the tested solutions! Some of the traditional remedy suggestions can be quite a gamble, and it's easy to get overzealous. Better safe than sorry!

You're wise to stick with the tested solutions! Some of the traditional remedy suggestions can be quite a gamble, and it's easy to get overzealous. Better safe than sorry!
Some parents swear by using natural oils or creams containing aqueous extracts of chamomile or aloe vera gelly for soothing baby skin. But as you said, each baby has different skin types, so experimenting with unknown remedies can be a risk.

I found that seeking recommendations from experienced mothers, like yourself, and sticking to products endorsed by trusted brands was a safer approach. It's impressive how some of these solutions are passed down from generation to generation!
Does anyone have any fun but practical tips for making bathing time more enjoyable for both baby and parents? Any tactics to keep babies calm during the process, especially when they become more mobile?

Some parents swear by using natural oils or creams containing aqueous extracts of chamomile or aloe vera gelly for soothing baby skin. But as you said, each baby has different skin types, so experimenting with unknown remedies can be a risk.

I found that seeking recommendations from experienced mothers, like yourself, and sticking to products endorsed by trusted brands was a safer approach. It's impressive how some of these solutions are passed down from generation to generation!
Does anyone have any fun but practical tips for making bathing time more enjoyable for both baby and parents? Any tactics to keep babies calm during the process, especially when they become more mobile?
Bathing can be quite an adventure, especially as babies become more curious and active! For a fun twist, you could introduce some infant-safe bubbles or place a few colorful toys in the tub. Keeping the lighting soft and playing some calming music also helps to soothe the little ones. A quick game of "find the toy" kept my tot entertained and focused during bath time.

Bathing can be quite an adventure, especially as babies become more curious and active! For a fun twist, you could introduce some infant-safe bubbles or place a few colorful toys in the tub. Keeping the lighting soft and playing some calming music also helps to soothe the little ones. A quick game of "find the toy" kept my tot entertained and focused during bath time.
Of course, simple and tested solutions are often the best! plain toys can also do the job of keeping them occupied during bath time.

Of course, simple and tested solutions are often the best! plain toys can also do the job of keeping them occupied during bath time.
Indeed, some good old-fashioned fun works wonders too! Toys aside, do share any other tricks up your sleeve for making bathtime enjoyable?

Indeed, some good old-fashioned fun works wonders too! Toys aside, do share any other tricks up your sleeve for making bathtime enjoyable?
Toys usually do the trick to keep their attention! But you might like to try introducing some bubble play when they're a little older and more mobile. It's amazing how something so simple can keep them entertained - almost like a mini-spa!

Toys usually do the trick to keep their attention! But you might like to try introducing some bubble play when they're a little older and more mobile. It's amazing how something so simple can keep them entertained - almost like a mini-spa!
Toys are effective distractions, especially those designed to float and squirt water. They're fun and help develop motor skills too.

Toys are effective distractions, especially those designed to float and squirt water. They're fun and help develop motor skills too.
Yep, the simple pleasures of bubble and toy time seem like a winner with most little ones! Any other suggestions for maintaining the bliss during bathtime?

Yep, the simple pleasures of bubble and toy time seem like a winner with most little ones! Any other suggestions for maintaining the bliss during bathtime?
Some babies enjoy having their toenails painted or getting 'fizz' baths - using ordinary carbonated drinks like soda pop! But these are probably more appropriate for older babies. For newborns, I'd go easy and keep it simple.

Some babies enjoy having their toenails painted or getting 'fizz' baths - using ordinary carbonated drinks like soda pop! But these are probably more appropriate for older babies. For newborns, I'd go easy and keep it simple.
Newborns really aren't fussy. The simpler, the better! They're easily pleased with just a warm bath and some cozy snuggles after.

Newborns really aren't fussy. The simpler, the better! They're easily pleased with just a warm bath and some cozy snuggles after.
Awww, that's so true; they are adorable in their simplicity! Cozy snuggles sound like an excellent way to end a relaxing bath time too. Does anyone have any ideas for natural skincare products suitable for newborn babies' sensitive skin? I remember being advised against using scented products, but beyond that, I'd love some recommendations for gentle and nurturing balms or oils.

Awww, that's so true; they are adorable in their simplicity! Cozy snuggles sound like an excellent way to end a relaxing bath time too. Does anyone have any ideas for natural skincare products suitable for newborn babies' sensitive skin? I remember being advised against using scented products, but beyond that, I'd love some recommendations for gentle and nurturing balms or oils.
I'd also recommend avoiding products with heavy scents and instead look for ones formulated with more natural fragrances, like lavender or chamomile - these can be really soothing for little ones (and parents too!). There are some great organic and natural options available these days, including plant-based oils and balms, which are gentle on their skin. I've heard good things about products containing natural calcium and aloe vera extracts. Some of these multi-purpose skincare products are fantastic for aiding with breastfeeding bonding too, providing a calm and relaxing experience for both mom and baby.

I'd also recommend avoiding products with heavy scents and instead look for ones formulated with more natural fragrances, like lavender or chamomile - these can be really soothing for little ones (and parents too!). There are some great organic and natural options available these days, including plant-based oils and balms, which are gentle on their skin. I've heard good things about products containing natural calcium and aloe vera extracts. Some of these multi-purpose skincare products are fantastic for aiding with breastfeeding bonding too, providing a calm and relaxing experience for both mom and baby.
indeed, lavender is such a classic and calming scent - a go-to for newborns! Chamomile's great too, especially for evening baths before bedtime. Natural, organic, or plant-based products are the way to go. They smell heavenly and are less likely to irritate baby's delicate skin.

indeed, lavender is such a classic and calming scent - a go-to for newborns! Chamomile's great too, especially for evening baths before bedtime. Natural, organic, or plant-based products are the way to go. They smell heavenly and are less likely to irritate baby's delicate skin.
The calming influence of chamomile fragrance is really wonderful for bedtimes! Have you also discovered any other soothing scents which help promote relaxation at bathtime, especially for newborns? It's fascinating how specific aromas can create such a soothing atmosphere.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu