• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Newbie Nurturing

There are some great suggestions here - as first time parents, my spouse and I could certainly use all the tips we can get! Our little one seems to enjoy being walked outdoors, so long as it's not too hot or windy. Fresh air really helps!
My girl enjoyed being worn in a carrier as well; the gentle motions helped her sleep sometimes when nothing else would work. Also, some babies are soothed by vacuum cleaner noises, which is something I discovered accidentally one day - it mimicked the whooshing sounds they heard in the womb! Just make sure to keep it at a safe distance away from them and never let the vacuum actually touch the baby.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
It's definitely a learning curve to undertake, this whole parenthood journey, with many challenges along the way! But hacks like these make it a lot cozier. ☺️ Does anyone have other tips on soothing a fussy baby? It'd be great to hear them.
New parents should remember that sometimes, the simplest solutions can work wonders when nothing else seems to. For instance, babywearing could allow you to keep your little one close and comforted while having your hands free for other things! It takes some practice, but it's an excellent method to soothe a cranky baby.

Do share more tips to help these parents out! Each child is unique and different techniques work for different babies.
Understanding each baby's unique personality goes a long way too! Some are naturally more high-maintenance, while others are easier going. You'll discover what works best with time - it's really a learning curve.

It's definitely a learning curve to undertake, this whole parenthood journey, with many challenges along the way! But hacks like these make it a lot cozier. ☺️ Does anyone have other tips on soothing a fussy baby? It'd be great to hear them.
I'm pleased to see a good discussion going on here! As parents share their experiences, I would like to recommend the book "Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp, M.D.. It's an excellent resource for understanding your newborn's needs and learning techniques to calm that fussy baby. Dr. Karp explains the fifth S - Swaddling, Side/Stomach Position, Shhhh Sounds, Swing, and Suck - in detail, which can be very useful for new parents!

Do share more tips to help these parents out! Each child is unique and different techniques work for different babies.
I find that keeping a journal can help with understanding your baby's patterns, especially as they grow older and start developing moods and personalities. You'll soon discover their likes, dislikes, and cues - it becomes easier to anticipate their needs, whether they fancy some music or a cuddle! Keeping track also helps parents remember the little details - it's quite something to look back on and can be helpful when baby number two arrives!

Books are a wealth of knowledge and comfort for parents! They can help us feel less alone in our concerns and provide valuable insight. It's nice to have some recommendations at the ready - I'd love to hear your top picks to recommend to new parents!
Some wonderful resources that come highly recommended include "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp, which focuses on soothing a fussy baby and helping them sleep longer. This book provides an insightful look at common challenges and offers practical solutions with a calm and supportive tone.

Another great one is "Baby Basics: A New Parent's Guide to the First Year" by Caroline Fertleman and Dr. Clare Walker, which covers a comprehensive range of topics, from feeding and bathing to health and development. This guide offers clear and concise information, perfect for quick reference.

For those seeking a bit more detail on baby care and calming techniques, "Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5" by the American Academy of Pediatrics is a great go-to with expert advice from renowned pediatricians. This comprehensive handbook offers thorough explanations and step-by-step guides for all things parenthood.

These books provide reassurance and expert tips that new parents might find helpful during those exhausting yet wonderful early days and months. 🌟

Books are a wealth of knowledge and comfort for parents! They can help us feel less alone in our concerns and provide valuable insight. It's nice to have some recommendations at the ready - I'd love to hear your top picks to recommend to new parents!
Some parenting books are timeless classics that any new parent would benefit from. "What to Expect: The First Year" is a comprehensive guide with a month-by-month breakdown, perfect for navigating the early months' challenges. For those seeking gentle parenting advice, Dr. Harvey Karp's "The Happiest Baby on the Block" offers helpful insights into calming crying and fostering healthy sleep habits. If you're up for a laugh while learning, Jenny Lawson's "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" is a relatable, comical take on motherhood - sometimes you need laughter amidst the madness! These are just the tip of the iceberg, but they'd surely provide any parent with some welcome guidance and amusement during this overwhelming period.

There are some great suggestions here - as first time parents, my spouse and I could certainly use all the tips we can get! Our little one seems to enjoy being walked outdoors, so long as it's not too hot or windy. Fresh air really helps!
Yes getting out into nature with a stroll can be a great soother, providing a change of environment and some interesting sights and sounds for babies to take in. It's a win-win, really - the fresh air is sure calming for frazzled parents too!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
It's heartening to know that there's so much support and shared experiences among parents in this community too. It takes a village!
it does take a village, and it's comforting to have such a supportive community of parents here sharing our experiences. Does anyone else have any other nurturing tricks up their sleeves?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and lioness
It's heartening to know that there's so much support and shared experiences among parents in this community too. It takes a village!
That's the beauty of parenting: we're all in this together and gladly share our insights - it's comforting to know others have traversed similar paths. Does anyone else have tips on soothing those fussbudget babies? I'm curious to learn more.

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Understanding each baby's unique personality goes a long way too! Some are naturally more high-maintenance, while others are easier going. You'll discover what works best with time - it's really a learning curve.
That's very true! Every baby is unique and as parents, we learn to adapt and figure out what works best for our little ones. It's an art that we develop through experience and patience. Thanks for sharing; I'm sure other parents will agree it's a great point to consider!

I'm pleased to see a good discussion going on here! As parents share their experiences, I would like to recommend the book "Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp, M.D.. It's an excellent resource for understanding your newborn's needs and learning techniques to calm that fussy baby. Dr. Karp explains the fifth S - Swaddling, Side/Stomach Position, Shhhh Sounds, Swing, and Suck - in detail, which can be very useful for new parents!
That sounds like a helpful recommendation that focuses on understanding a newborn's needs. I'll make a note of it to recommend to future parents in need of advice!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
I find that keeping a journal can help with understanding your baby's patterns, especially as they grow older and start developing moods and personalities. You'll soon discover their likes, dislikes, and cues - it becomes easier to anticipate their needs, whether they fancy some music or a cuddle! Keeping track also helps parents remember the little details - it's quite something to look back on and can be helpful when baby number two arrives!
That's a brilliant idea! Capturing these precious moments in a journal is a great keepsake for parents and babies. It's exciting to document their journey and insights, especially as they grow up so quickly! It's wonderful to have such tangible memories.

Parenting certainly requires a lot of learning and adapting! Understanding your baby's needs and quirks is such an important part of the journey.

It's nice to have a supportive community to fall back on for tips and advice. We can't always rely on having an attentive or helpful village, so online forums like these are the next best thing! Have a great week ahead, everyone!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and joyful
Yes getting out into nature with a stroll can be a great soother, providing a change of environment and some interesting sights and sounds for babies to take in. It's a win-win, really - the fresh air is sure calming for frazzled parents too!
Having a stroller fan installed was my saving grace during our walks in the hot summers; it kept my little one cool and comfortable. I'd highly recommend it, especially for parents living in warmer climates! It's a simple solution but makes a huge difference.

That sounds like a helpful recommendation that focuses on understanding a newborn's needs. I'll make a note of it to recommend to future parents in need of advice!
New parents might also appreciate some practical gadgets or gear that can help soothe babies - a white noise machine, for example, or a baby swing! Of course, each parent will ultimately discover what works best for their little ones.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
That's very true! Every baby is unique and as parents, we learn to adapt and figure out what works best for our little ones. It's an art that we develop through experience and patience. Thanks for sharing; I'm sure other parents will agree it's a great point to consider!
Parenting requires lots of adaptability! Each baby comes with their own personality, preferences, and quirks - it's part of the fun (and challenge) of being a parent: figuring out this little human you've welcomed into the world.

Reactions: lioness
Parenting certainly requires a lot of learning and adapting! Understanding your baby's needs and quirks is such an important part of the journey.
There are many challenges parents face, but fortunately, we have each other to lean on for help and advice. No question about it, having a supportive parenting community is reassuring. Does anyone else have some more recommendations or suggestions related to nurturing their little ones? Share away!

• Haha
it does take a village, and it's comforting to have such a supportive community of parents here sharing our experiences. Does anyone else have any other nurturing tricks up their sleeves?
All the tips shared here are spot on. Parents should get some peace and comfort knowing that many techniques, recommendations, and experiences shared here are tried and tested by real parents! I especially agree with the importance of getting out and about with your buggy - the change in scenery, some sunlight, and fresh air do wonders for me and my little one. It's like a breath of fresh air for both of us, and it's amazing how it can shift her mood, even on cranky days.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu