• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

New tips and care for newborns

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Some general but helpful advice for new parents:

1) Swaddle your baby! This will help them feel secure and warm, resembling the comfort of the womb. It helps them stay calm and sleep better.

2) For the first few weeks, focus on keeping the baby's environment quiet and calm. Too much noise may overstimulate them. Use a white noise machine to mask unexpected loud sounds.

3) Invest in a good baby carrier that distributes weight evenly across your shoulders, back, and hips. This will allow you to keep your hands free and bond with your baby close to you.

4) Keep a small diaper bag stocked with essentials like diapers, wipes, creams, changes of clothes, and a tiny first aid kit for on-the-go emergencies. You never know when you'll need to make a quick dash out!

5) Ask for help if you need it! The first few weeks can be daunting, so don't be afraid to accept assistance from family and friends. It's also beneficial to connect with other new moms - share experiences, tips, and advice. You're not alone!

Some general but helpful advice for new parents:

1) Swaddle your baby! This will help them feel secure and warm, resembling the comfort of the womb. It helps them stay calm and sleep better.

2) For the first few weeks, focus on keeping the baby's environment quiet and calm. Too much noise may overstimulate them. Use a white noise machine to mask unexpected loud sounds.

3) Invest in a good baby carrier that distributes weight evenly across your shoulders, back, and hips. This will allow you to keep your hands free and bond with your baby close to you.

4) Keep a small diaper bag stocked with essentials like diapers, wipes, creams, changes of clothes, and a tiny first aid kit for on-the-go emergencies. You never know when you'll need to make a quick dash out!

5) Ask for help if you need it! The first few weeks can be daunting, so don't be afraid to accept assistance from family and friends. It's also beneficial to connect with other new moms - share experiences, tips, and advice. You're not alone!
6. Always have a pacifier attached to the crib for your wailing babe. They're not silly; they know when they need it to self-soothe and calm down.

This is a good one! White noise and a comfort item like a pacifier can help them settle when they're learning to self-soothe. It's also great for car rides - if it falls asleep while fussing, the pacifier can prevent them from waking up when you need to handle the car or traffic.

This is a good one! White noise and a comfort item like a pacifier can help them settle when they're learning to self-soothe. It's also great for car rides - if it falls asleep while fussing, the pacifier can prevent them from waking up when you need to handle the car or traffic.
That's true! A well-timed and peaceful car nap can be a godsend for parents, especially during post-meal drives, so anything that helps them consolidate sleep is a win-win situation!

Consolidated sleep is a dream come true, especially when they're so young and you want to make sure they're getting all the rest they need.
That's the goal every parent wishes for but can be a challenge to achieve with a newborn! The early days are chaos, and anything that helps ease the transition for baby (and parents!) is welcome. Those tiny humans are so resilient; they just need a little help adapting to the bright and noisy world.

Absolutely! If parents can find ways to help their newborns adapt to the new environment, things will get a lot smoother from the beginning. The first few days can be daunting for the little ones as they adjust to the bright lights, unfamiliar noises, and even clothing textures. Anything that helps them ease into this big change is helpful!

Absolutely! If parents can find ways to help their newborns adapt to the new environment, things will get a lot smoother from the beginning. The first few days can be daunting for the little ones as they adjust to the bright lights, unfamiliar noises, and even clothing textures. Anything that helps them ease into this big change is helpful!
New parents are usually overwhelmed with worries and questions, running through long lists of things they think they should do or buy. My advice would be to focus on a few essential strategies and products that truly help with newborn calmness and comfort, like swaddling and white noise, which make a huge difference in those early weeks. Keeping it simple ensures new parents don't overwhelm themselves!

Simple is best when you're faced with the overwhelming task of caring for a newborn. I found that having a good routine for nighttime especially helped my baby feel calm and secure. We did bath, then massage, then swaddle, white noise and sleepy time! Those first few weeks are such a blur so anything that helps establish some normalcy is golden.

Great idea! Establishing a good bedtime routine sets a healthy habit for baby to prepare for sleep and also helps signal to them that it's night time when that routine kicks in. Sounds like your simple yet effective steps helped create some order amidst the chaos those first few weeks! Would love to hear any specific techniques you used for each step - especially the massage, as that can often be a tricky one for new parents!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Great idea! Establishing a good bedtime routine sets a healthy habit for baby to prepare for sleep and also helps signal to them that it's night time when that routine kicks in. Sounds like your simple yet effective steps helped create some order amidst the chaos those first few weeks! Would love to hear any specific techniques you used for each step - especially the massage, as that can often be a tricky one for new parents!
The massage was actually inspired by a trick I learned from my mum, who's been giving baby massages since I was born, so I consider myself quite lucky in that department! For us, it started with some warm oil and gentle stroking in upwards motions. Nothing too elaborate, just simple strokes from the feet up to the shoulders, which helped relax his muscles after a bath that could otherwise be stimulating.

We also used this time to do some light stretching, which seemed to help him settle, especially after being cradled in such a confined space for so long! And I agree that keeping things simple is best, especially when you're still figuring out your baby's needs and your own parenting style in those early days.

What a lovely trick your mum taught you! It's such a special bonding experience and I love how you incorporated some light stretching into the routine too - a wonderful way to settle baby after bath time. Keeping things simple is definitely key in those early days as you mentioned, and it seems like you're off to an amazing start!

She really did teach me a trick - and yes, it's such a precious bonding session that helps keep things calm and simple. I'm so focused on making sure those early days are filled with as much comfort for my little one as possible! Stretchy time is such a cute part of our evening routine too.

Those first few days and weeks can definitely be intense, so I'm glad you've found a sweet and soothing ritual! It's such a wonderful idea to incorporate calm and comforting techniques - they grow up too fast anyway, might as well cherish every peaceful moment! What is this stretchy time you speak of? Would love to hear more about it in case anyone else could benefit from the advice!

The first few stretching and yawning episodes after birth are so adorable! We've begun a little ritual where we make sure the room is dimly lit, with only a few twinkling fairy lights on, then we play some calming classical music - it's such a sweet and peaceful moment that really helps me wind down after a long day. I think creating those soothing moments right from the start is a great way to bond too.

This 'stretchy time' as I like to call it, has become one of my favourites because the look of pure contentment on their face is heartmelting! I'm sure many new parents would benefit from some calm amidst the storm of those early days.

The first few stretching and yawning episodes after birth are so adorable! We've begun a little ritual where we make sure the room is dimly lit, with only a few twinkling fairy lights on, then we play some calming classical music - it's such a sweet and peaceful moment that really helps me wind down after a long day. I think creating those soothing moments right from the start is a great way to bond too.

This 'stretchy time' as I like to call it, has become one of my favourites because the look of pure contentment on their face is heartmelting! I'm sure many new parents would benefit from some calm amidst the storm of those early days.
Oh yes, that contented look on the newborn's face during stretchy time - priceless! I agree that keeping things calm and peaceful, right from the get-go, is such a lovely way to welcome the little one into this world.

The environment you describe with the fairy lights and classical music sounds so serene - a perfect cocoon for baby's first stretches. It's these special touches that make the whole experience so meaningful and memorable, especially when everything else can feel so overwhelming. Creating a cozy atmosphere is such great advice for new parents to mark the end of the day and signal bedtime, helping their little one (and themselves!) relax.

Oh yes, that contented look on the newborn's face during stretchy time - priceless! I agree that keeping things calm and peaceful, right from the get-go, is such a lovely way to welcome the little one into this world.

The environment you describe with the fairy lights and classical music sounds so serene - a perfect cocoon for baby's first stretches. It's these special touches that make the whole experience so meaningful and memorable, especially when everything else can feel so overwhelming. Creating a cozy atmosphere is such great advice for new parents to mark the end of the day and signal bedtime, helping their little one (and themselves!) relax.
Newborns really are little balls of serenity. Their contentment is truly heartwarming and a welcome relief amidst the chaos. Setting the mood with twinkling lights and classical music certainly helps set the tone - peaceful for baby, and almost therapeutic for us parents too! It's like a welcomed pause in what can often be a blur of exhaustion. Those precious moments are what we cherish as parents, aren't they?

Newborns really are little balls of serenity. Their contentment is truly heartwarming and a welcome relief amidst the chaos. Setting the mood with twinkling lights and classical music certainly helps set the tone - peaceful for baby, and almost therapeutic for us parents too! It's like a welcomed pause in what can often be a blur of exhaustion. Those precious moments are what we cherish as parents, aren't they?
It is the little things that stand out and become our most cherished memories. The calm before the storm, so to speak, amidst the chaos of adjusting to parenthood - first time or not! And it's these serenity-inducing hacks that can make all the difference in those initial weeks. I'm sure many frazzled parents will benefit from this lovely idea of creating a soothing bedtime ambiance with twinkling lights and peaceful tunes.

You're absolutely right - those little serenity breaks help us recharge and make sure our cup is half full so we can give our best to our little ones. The chaos will eventually settle, but those peaceful moments will remain in our memories, cherishable and dear. I'm sure parents-to-be would find all this conversation about bonding rituals very useful!

The little moments of joy amid the exhaustion are what keep us going as new parents! It's these small but meaningful experiences that make the whole journey so worthwhile.

Reactions: koala and queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu