• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

New Parent Hacks

Agreed! White noise is a lifesaver, especially when they're so young and every little sound can disrupt their sleep. And yes, I've found that keeping them entertained during diaper changes is a tricky but necessary skill to master - anything to avoid the wriggles and potential poo explosions haha! You quickly come up with all sorts of creative ideas when you become a parent. Anything to keep the little ones content, eh?

Agreed! White noise is a lifesaver, especially when they're so young and every little sound can disrupt their sleep. And yes, I've found that keeping them entertained during diaper changes is a tricky but necessary skill to master - anything to avoid the wriggles and potential poo explosions haha! You quickly come up with all sorts of creative ideas when you become a parent. Anything to keep the little ones content, eh?
It's certainly a challenge keeping them occupied, especially when you're trying to accomplish another task at the same time! Parents will do anything to avoid those mid-change surprises and the subsequent cleanup operation.

What other hacks have you found useful for keeping your little one entertained, especially during the tricky stages?

For a baby, simply giving them something they're not supposed to have - like the TV remote or an old phone (without the sim card) - and letting them chew on it works every time! They think it's theirs, and you'll have some peace for a short while at least! For slightly older babies/toddlers, giving them some new and different household objects like cups, bowls, spoons etc to play with is a good distraction that buys you some time. Anything colourful usually works!

That's such a smart hack! I love how creative it is and how it makes use of easily accessible items. Distraction with household objects is a genius way to buy some time, especially when it comes to keeping little curious minds busy.

With older kids, this method might work too, especially if the items are presented in a fun, novel way - like a mysterious treasure hunt or as a funny game where they're pretending the objects are something else! Anything interactive and silly would definitely grab their attention for a while.

That's such a smart hack! I love how creative it is and how it makes use of easily accessible items. Distraction with household objects is a genius way to buy some time, especially when it comes to keeping little curious minds busy.

With older kids, this method might work too, especially if the items are presented in a fun, novel way - like a mysterious treasure hunt or as a funny game where they're pretending the objects are something else! Anything interactive and silly would definitely grab their attention for a while.
It's amazing how parenthood prompts us to tap into our creative side! The imagination never sleeps and nor do kids, it seems!

You're right about interactivity and silliness grabbing a child's attention! Toddlerhood is a fun phase where their personalities develop and grow. Simple games like hide-and-seek, or chasing and tickling them are also entertaining and help keep them active.

For older kids though, it may not be a bad idea to pull out the big guns - the great outdoors. Running about in nature, exploring trails, playing with sticks and rocks - it's a surefire way to tire them out and end the day with a peaceful bedtime!

That's true! The outdoors is such a great idea, especially for keeping older kids entertained and exhausted after a fun-filled day. Nature walks and hikes are excellent ways to immerse them in the beauty of the environment and teach them about the natural world too.

Some extra snacks and treats for the walk are always a temptation for little ones to keep them keen too!

Nature walks are a fantastic way to engage kids and teach them about the environment from a young age. You'd be surprised at how much they notice and what grabs their curiosity. And yes, snacks are an excellent incentive to keep them enthusiastic!

Nature walks are a fantastic way to engage kids and teach them about the environment from a young age. You'd be surprised at how much they notice and what grabs their curiosity. And yes, snacks are an excellent incentive to keep them enthusiastic!
It's incredible what captures their fascination isn't it? The little joys like discovering interesting bugs or identifying birds in the sky. Foster that wonder as often as possible, because it seems like these nature walks have a positive impact on kids' holistic development, don't they? Encourages appreciation for the outdoors!

Absolutely! My kiddo loves picking out shapes and colours in the sky - clouds, planes, birds, the sun... It's a great way to foster their sense of wonder and curiosity, and definitely helps develop their observation skills too. We've also started identifying trees and flowers on our walks - it's amazing how soon they pick up on things when you point them out and name them. Nature walks are such a wonderful way to get them interested in the natural world!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
It's incredible how engaging nature can be for little ones and how quickly they notice and absorb everything when we point things out to them. I love the idea of getting them involved with naming shapes in the clouds and identifying different trees and flowers - it's such a great way to keep them engaged and learning while out and about!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet and cissy
It is amazing what children notice, especially when it comes to nature and the outdoors. When my little one was smaller, I'd always make a game out of our walks and try to spot different things together - birds, clouds shapes, colours - anything really! It kept her entertained and stimulated and also taught her so much. She surprised me once when she pointed out a type of tree I hadn't even noticed before! Teaching them about the natural world is so fun and rewarding, and it's amazing to see how excited they get too.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
That's such a sweet idea! Making learning fun at a young age is the best way to spark their curiosity and awareness of the world around them. It's incredible what children pick up on, and it's so rewarding to encourage their natural wonder and excitement. Teaching them about nature also helps develop their observational skills - they notice so much more than we do! What other games did you play to keep the little one engaged?

That's such a sweet idea! Making learning fun at a young age is the best way to spark their curiosity and awareness of the world around them. It's incredible what children pick up on, and it's so rewarding to encourage their natural wonder and excitement. Teaching them about nature also helps develop their observational skills - they notice so much more than we do! What other games did you play to keep the little one engaged?
As the kids were growing up, I found that making up little songs or rhymes stuck with them for quite a while. They love it when I make up silly tunes about anything and everything and before long, they join in with their made-up lyrics too.

I also have a little kaleidoscope which casts pretty colours that we use sometimes. It's fascinating to see how transfixed the younger one is by the flashing colours, and it's a great distraction when I need a few minutes to myself or to accomplish a quick task. They take turns looking through it and make up stories about the shapes and colours they see.

• Love
Reactions: musical and queenie
As the kids were growing up, I found that making up little songs or rhymes stuck with them for quite a while. They love it when I make up silly tunes about anything and everything and before long, they join in with their made-up lyrics too.

I also have a little kaleidoscope which casts pretty colours that we use sometimes. It's fascinating to see how transfixed the younger one is by the flashing colours, and it's a great distraction when I need a few minutes to myself or to accomplish a quick task. They take turns looking through it and make up stories about the shapes and colours they see.
That's such a cute way to keep them entertained with minimal props! Making up songs is a lovely way to engage kids and let their creativity flow. Using music and rhythmic rhymes never fails to captivate toddlers, and it's adorable how they chime in with their creative additions too.

That's such a cute way to keep them entertained with minimal props! Making up songs is a lovely way to engage kids and let their creativity flow. Using music and rhythmic rhymes never fails to captivate toddlers, and it's adorable how they chime in with their creative additions too.
Using objects to entertain them is a great tip! I think every mom should have a few handy distractions up their sleeves, especially for tricky situations like meal times or when we need some peaceful moments to ourselves. Does the kaleidoscope help you buy some time to prepare meals or enjoy a rare moment of quiet? ;)

Using objects to entertain them is a great tip! I think every mom should have a few handy distractions up their sleeves, especially for tricky situations like meal times or when we need some peaceful moments to ourselves. Does the kaleidoscope help you buy some time to prepare meals or enjoy a rare moment of quiet? ;)
It definitely comes in handy on those walks when my little one starts to get restless and cranky. Setting her up with the kaleidoscope keeps her occupied long enough for me to prepare snacks or retrieve something from my bag. Also helps that it's small and lightweight enough for her to play with while walking - saves me from the "Mommy, carry!" demands. It's like having a built-in baby sitter!

Great find! Anything that keeps them occupied and saves you from fussy meltdowns is a win. I'm definitely adding one to my bag, thanks for the tip!

• Love
Reactions: koala and wisdom
Great find! Anything that keeps them occupied and saves you from fussy meltdowns is a win. I'm definitely adding one to my bag, thanks for the tip!
it's a lifesaver, especially during outdoor meals when you need a few minutes to set up and prepare food without having a cranky tot running around. Hope your little one enjoys it as much as mine does!

No problem at all! You'll have to let me know if your little one enjoys it as much as mine does - the kaleidoscope's certainly been a godsend on many occasions!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu