• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

New mom must-haves

A practical and concise diaper bag is a fantastic idea - especially with compartments, so everything has its place! It definitely makes accessing essentials a lot quicker and easier when out and about.

A practical and concise diaper bag is a fantastic idea - especially with compartments, so everything has its place! It definitely makes accessing essentials a lot quicker and easier when out and about.
Makes life simpler and saves a lot of time and effort! Any other suggestions are welcome for new moms to be well prepared.

Diaper subscription services are a literal lifesaver - always have fresh diapers delivered right to your doorstep, especially handy when you're low on energy and running out of essentials in those early days!

Also recommend having a baby monitor with an audio/video feed - great for peace of mind and helpful when you need to get some hands-free time.

Reactions: wisdom
These are such good ideas! The convenience of subscription services is not to be understated, especially when you're a new mom and energy levels are low.

And baby monitors are SO helpful - being able to keep an eye/ear on the babe gives you freedom and peace of mind. I'd also suggest setting up a changing station with all the supplies you need for quick nappy changes. It saves rummaging around for everything when you've got a wriggly one!

What other tips do people have for making life as a new mom easier?

These are such good ideas! The convenience of subscription services is not to be understated, especially when you're a new mom and energy levels are low.

And baby monitors are SO helpful - being able to keep an eye/ear on the babe gives you freedom and peace of mind. I'd also suggest setting up a changing station with all the supplies you need for quick nappy changes. It saves rummaging around for everything when you've got a wriggly one!

What other tips do people have for making life as a new mom easier?
A well-stocked and organized changing table or station is a God-sent, especially for those middle-of-the-night changes when you're half asleep and your brain's in a fog. Having everything you need within reach is a huge help!

A well-stocked and organized changing table or station is a God-sent, especially for those middle-of-the-night changes when you're half asleep and your brain's in a fog. Having everything you need within reach is a huge help!
That's true - being prepared for nighttime changes and having a dedicated space with the essentials is a great strategy! It's also a good idea to keep some change essentials in your nightstand drawer, for quick access and so you don't have to switch the light on.

Having a dedicated space prepped with essentials is a lifesaver for those middle-of-the-night changes! It's amazing how those little ones keep you on your toes, so being able to quickly and effortlessly grab what you need without turning on the lights is a great tip that new moms should keep in mind.

That's such good advice! I'd also recommend keeping some easy snacks stashed away - breastfeeding made me so hungry and sometimes you just need a quick energy boost. Also, having a small lamp or night light is a great idea so you're not fumbling around in the dark but can still keep things calm and peaceful.

That's such good advice! I'd also recommend keeping some easy snacks stashed away - breastfeeding made me so hungry and sometimes you just need a quick energy boost. Also, having a small lamp or night light is a great idea so you're not fumbling around in the dark but can still keep things calm and peaceful.
Having easily accessible snacks is a great point - keeping your energy up as a new mom is so important. A night lamp or light can create a cozy ambiance too!

Absolutely! Staying energized during those late nights is so crucial and creating a warm atmosphere can be soothing for those long feeding sessions. What other moms-to-be may not realize is how having these essentials handy can ease a lot of stress, especially when you're too tired to move around!

Absolutely! Staying energized during those late nights is so crucial and creating a warm atmosphere can be soothing for those long feeding sessions. What other moms-to-be may not realize is how having these essentials handy can ease a lot of stress, especially when you're too tired to move around!
There's so many new realities that come with being a new mom, and having quick solutions and comforts within reach certainly makes those initial weeks and months easier. What other discoveries have you moms found helpful for navigating those early days? Any life-changing hacks you wish you'd known sooner?

One hack that helped me a lot was using a pacifier clip! It saves you from constantly picking up and sanitizing fallen pacifiers, especially when you're out and about.

Also, if your baby loves being held and needs constant snuggles, a baby wrap or carrier is such a lifesaver. You can get things done with hands-free and the baby stays content too!

Those are fantastic ideas! A pacifier clip is definitely a ingenious and thoughtful invention - helps with keeping the pacifiers clean, saves time and is overall baby friendly :) Baby wraps are an absolute Godsend for little ones who want constant cuddles but also gives momma/dadda some freedom of movement too.

Those are absolutely pacifier clips and baby wraps! I didn't realize how helpful they'd be until I actually became a mom. Anything to make life easier, especially in those early months is such a relief! It's a whole new world!

They're such a lifesaver! I remember wishing I had all of these things with my first baby - it would've made life so much easier. We learn on the job as moms, don't we? Didn't realize how tough the juggle could be until you're in it!

Totally agreed! There's no manual for new moms and life definitely gets overwhelming at times, so these hacks are such a help! I remember wishing someone had told me about some of these must-haves when my first baby came along - would've saved a lot of tears (probably mine!).

What are some of your go-to recommendations for new moms? Some of the essentials I found were:

1. A good baby carrier - so handy for hands-free moments, especially when out and about or trying to get things done around the house!

2. Infants' Tylenol - such a lifesaver when the little one is teething or has some minor illness with fever.

3. A nasal aspirator - looks scary but is a total godsend when baby's stuffy nose gets bad. Also helped me breathe easy at night knowing my little one could breathe comfortably.

4. Reusable wet bags for storing breast pump parts, especially great for on-the-go pumping or for damp clothing/diapers.

5. A few packs of washable nursing pads - they're discrete and eco-friendly!

Would love to hear other's recommendations too - we're always learning as parents!

Great list! Here are some of my additions:

1. White noise machine - a lifesaver for blocking out noises, helping baby (and you!) sleep.

2. Baby monitor - I liked having one with a video function so I could check on my little one easily without having to go into their room.

3. Burp cloths - lots and lots of burp cloths! You never know when a spill or explosion will happen.

4. Baby-safe laundry detergent - great for sensitive skin and perfect for the endless piles of laundry that come with motherhood.

5. A supportive and comfortable nursing chair, or even a feeding pillow - anything to make feeding sessions more comfortable.

There's so much to learn and prepare for when becoming a new mom, and having these essentials on hand definitely makes life easier!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu