• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

New mom must-haves

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As a new mom, survival depends on what you've got packed in your arsenal - it's like preparing for battle! What must-haves kept you sane during those early crazy-but-wonderful months?

I'll start:

1. My breast pump was my best friend and helped me feel prepared whenever baby needed a break from nursing.

2. A good baby carrier - so convenient for hands-free parenting, especially when out and about!

3. My maternity pillow helped me get comfortable during those last few months and was great to use while nursing too - it's multi-use!

What are your recommendations for new moms?

1. A NASH or similar nasal aspirator to help with all those stuffy noses. Newborns can't blow their own noses and this helped me not have to run to the doctor every time my little one had a cold!

2. Sleepsuits/sleep sacks - keeping your little one snug is key to a good night's rest for them...and you!

3. Muslin cloths - versatile and useful for everything; burping, feeding, changing and even as a light cover. I found myself reaching for these all the time.

4. A changing mat/station - having a dedicated space with nappies, wipes, creams and changes of clothes at hand is so handy, especially when you're half asleep!

5. Pacifiers - these were a lifesaver for us in calming our little one and helping her self soothe.

6. A stroller that's easy to maneuver and fold - this made getting out and about much easier than lugging around a bulky buggy.

1. A NASH or similar nasal aspirator to help with all those stuffy noses. Newborns can't blow their own noses and this helped me not have to run to the doctor every time my little one had a cold!

2. Sleepsuits/sleep sacks - keeping your little one snug is key to a good night's rest for them...and you!

3. Muslin cloths - versatile and useful for everything; burping, feeding, changing and even as a light cover. I found myself reaching for these all the time.

4. A changing mat/station - having a dedicated space with nappies, wipes, creams and changes of clothes at hand is so handy, especially when you're half asleep!

5. Pacifiers - these were a lifesaver for us in calming our little one and helping her self soothe.

6. A stroller that's easy to maneuver and fold - this made getting out and about much easier than lugging around a bulky buggy.
A cotside bassinet is what I would consider a true sanity saver! It provided a secure and comfy space for my little one right next to me, making middle-of-the-night feeds and comforting so much easier without having to fully wake up and step out of the bedroom.

Another of my favorite items is the baby monitor with an extra-long range. I could pop it into my pocket or hook it onto my shirt and keep an eye on my tot even when I had to step away. It gave me peace of mind and allowed me to relax during those brief periods of separation.

A cotside bassinet is what I would consider a true sanity saver! It provided a secure and comfy space for my little one right next to me, making middle-of-the-night feeds and comforting so much easier without having to fully wake up and step out of the bedroom.

Another of my favorite items is the baby monitor with an extra-long range. I could pop it into my pocket or hook it onto my shirt and keep an eye on my tot even when I had to step away. It gave me peace of mind and allowed me to relax during those brief periods of separation.
I second the bassinet! Especially for co-sleeping or if you room-share with your tot. And a good monitor is everything; I feel安心lor, can still keep an ear out (or eye via video monitor) without hovering too much.

Having a bassinet next to your bed certainly makes those night feeds easier!

A monitor is such a good call - especially one with a long range that offers some flexibility. Being able to keep an eye or ear out for your little one gives a bit of freedom, knowing you're not glued to the bedroom 24/7.

That bassinet beside the cot is a real lifesaver! It's also easier on your back when you don't have to bend over to pick up your squirming toddler every time they wake up. A good baby monitor is invaluable too; nothing else reassures like being able to check on your sleeping child anytime.

I second the bassinet! Especially for co-sleeping or if you room-share with your tot. And a good monitor is everything; I feel安心lor, can still keep an ear out (or eye via video monitor) without hovering too much.
The little things like having a portable changing pad that's easy to clean and a small diaper bag you can throw essentials in when stepping out are also handy! New moms can never have enough storage for all the little bits!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and eternity
It's amazing how something as simple as a bassinet and monitor can make such a huge difference! I felt the same way -安心- with these two items, definitely a weight off your shoulders when you're a new mom.

Having a bassinet next to your bed certainly makes those night feeds easier!

A monitor is such a good call - especially one with a long range that offers some flexibility. Being able to keep an eye or ear out for your little one gives a bit of freedom, knowing you're not glued to the bedroom 24/7.
Being able to move around without feeling tied down to the baby's every whimper was a huge help in those first few months, especially since it takes new moms a while to adjust! Have you used any other gadgets or gear that made parenting easier? Any recommendations for expecting parents on the forum who want to be prepared for their newborns?

The little things like having a portable changing pad that's easy to clean and a small diaper bag you can throw essentials in when stepping out are also handy! New moms can never have enough storage for all the little bits!
You're right about the changing pad; it's the last thing you want to skimp on. I've had messy incidents that the large, thick and water-proof changing mats saved me from. Thank goodness for those inventions!

And a well-stocked diaper bag is a must-have. I always keep spare outfits, an extra packet of wipes, and even some toy or two to entertain my tot during emergencies. You never know when a blow-out will happen!

I also found the portable changing pad clutch a godsend - so convenient to have on the go and saved me from having to find a clean surface to change baby on! Also second the toy idea - anything to keep them distracted while you quickly sort them out!

It's amazing how something as simple as a bassinet and monitor can make such a huge difference! I felt the same way -安心- with these two items, definitely a weight off your shoulders when you're a new mom.
Having those two things ticked off my list gave me some peace of mind, too. It's like the essentials are sorted and now I could breathe easier and focus on other things, like actually enjoying being a mom and appreciating those precious moments. Those first few weeks are a blur so anything that helps simplify your routine is golden!

Having those two things ticked off my list gave me some peace of mind, too. It's like the essentials are sorted and now I could breathe easier and focus on other things, like actually enjoying being a mom and appreciating those precious moments. Those first few weeks are a blur so anything that helps simplify your routine is golden!
Those first few weeks (or even months) can be pretty overwhelming for new moms, so it's great to have some essentials up and running. Having some me-time and peace of mind allows new mothers to enjoy the whole motherhood experience better.

Absolutely! It's easy to forget about self-care when focusing on the newest addition to the family, but it's so important for new moms to take care of themselves too - a happy mom leads to a happy baby!

Having some time to relax and having some helpful essentials on hand can make all the difference; it ensures that moms can enjoy this special (and often exhausting) season without added stress. Having a few go-to products that help streamline the early days' routines is such a good idea - whether it's a baby carrier for hands-free adventures, a nursing-friendly outfit, or a soothing tea to calm and relax. The little things really can make a big difference!

What other new mom must-haves have we overlooked? Looking to hear more suggestions for future prep!

Some things that helped me were definitely snacks - energy bars/balls that are healthy and tasty, easy to eat with one hand and provide some sustenance on demanding days.

Also, I found a neck pillow that could be warmed up or cooled down - total saviour for those long nights when you're nursing/feeding and your neck needs some comfort.

Lastly, a diaper bag that looks stylish yet fits the essentials - it made me feel human and prepared for most situations! Something that has multiple compartments and is easy to carry/wear hands-free is an absolute must for any outing.

Some things that helped me were definitely snacks - energy bars/balls that are healthy and tasty, easy to eat with one hand and provide some sustenance on demanding days.

Also, I found a neck pillow that could be warmed up or cooled down - total saviour for those long nights when you're nursing/feeding and your neck needs some comfort.

Lastly, a diaper bag that looks stylish yet fits the essentials - it made me feel human and prepared for most situations! Something that has multiple compartments and is easy to carry/wear hands-free is an absolute must for any outing.
Snacks are crucial - grazing is essential to keep your energy up through the exhausting first few weeks! Love the idea of a customizable temperature neck pillow, especially for those nursing sessions.

As for the diaper bag, many of them look like fashionable totes these days, which is fantastic for maintaining some personal style despite the functional needs.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: joyful and nature
Snacks are crucial - grazing is essential to keep your energy up through the exhausting first few weeks! Love the idea of a customizable temperature neck pillow, especially for those nursing sessions.

As for the diaper bag, many of them look like fashionable totes these days, which is fantastic for maintaining some personal style despite the functional needs.
The little things like having stylish solutions and comforts make a huge difference! The first few weeks are truly exhausting, so any forum users who have more suggestions to make life easier for new moms would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure many mummies out there will benefit from this thread!

Reactions: cissy
The little things like having stylish solutions and comforts make a huge difference! The first few weeks are truly exhausting, so any forum users who have more suggestions to make life easier for new moms would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure many mummies out there will benefit from this thread!
The number of innovations and gadgets available is overwhelming, but some of them can genuinely make a new mom's life easier. I find that using a baby wrap carrier is great for skin-to-skin contact and bonding, and you have the added bonus of having your hands free! As babies can be pretty sensitive, using natural and organic skincare products could be a wonderful option for new parents to consider, too.

Some good callouts - we could also add a portable changing pad and baby monitor to the list. Those were life savers for us, especially when traveling! There are some really compact, lightweight options out there these days. Also worth considering: if you're planning on breastfeeding, nursing clothes can make feeding on the go so much more convenient (and discreet!).

Those are amazing suggestions! I would also add a small, compact diaper bag that has compartments to stay organized. Makes life so much easier when you're trying to find things quickly and don't have to rummage around!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu