• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

New Care Tips

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
NewCareTips: Hey everyone! I wanted to start this thread as a place to collect all our wisdom on caring for our little ones. As new parents, we often seek tips and tricks for navigating the challenges of raising newborns. Share your insights on anything you've found helpful, whether it's soothing techniques, feeding strategies, or tips for getting some shut-eye.

Let's help each other make this newborn phase a little easier! What's your go-to tip that you think every new parent should know?

One of my most valuable tips is to create a calming bedtime routine, which helped settle my fussy baby down considerably. A consistent routine signals it's time to wind down and prepares their little bodies for sleep.

Mine is 6 months old, so this is what worked for us:

1. Dim the lights and keep the room cool and quiet about an hour before bedtime.

2. Use a white noise machine or app - the constant hum can be incredibly soothing and blocks out any unexpected loud noises that might startle them.

3. A warm bath with some calming baby wash can help relax them and is a great sensory experience. Follow up with a gentle massage using moisturizing lotion - this becomes a lovely bonding moment too!

4. Swaddle your baby snugly; this really helped mine feel secure and settled.

I also found that having a routine gave me, the parent, confidence in the evenings. Knowing what to expect and having some strategies up my sleeve made the whole experience less daunting.

It's a great way to ease the bedtime fussiness and hopefully get some well-deserved rest yourself!

One of my most valuable tips is to create a calming bedtime routine, which helped settle my fussy baby down considerably. A consistent routine signals it's time to wind down and prepares their little bodies for sleep.

Mine is 6 months old, so this is what worked for us:

1. Dim the lights and keep the room cool and quiet about an hour before bedtime.

2. Use a white noise machine or app - the constant hum can be incredibly soothing and blocks out any unexpected loud noises that might startle them.

3. A warm bath with some calming baby wash can help relax them and is a great sensory experience. Follow up with a gentle massage using moisturizing lotion - this becomes a lovely bonding moment too!

4. Swaddle your baby snugly; this really helped mine feel secure and settled.

I also found that having a routine gave me, the parent, confidence in the evenings. Knowing what to expect and having some strategies up my sleeve made the whole experience less daunting.

It's a great way to ease the bedtime fussiness and hopefully get some well-deserved rest yourself!
That's a great tip Fiona! Having a consistent routine really does help, and it's a good way to signal to your little one that bedtime is approaching.

Another trick I found helpful was using a baby carrier. Having a hands-free moment to prepare meals or do some quick housework was invaluable, and babies seem to love the snuggliness and closeness. It really calmed my newborn down, especially on fussier days.

I'm sure other parents have loads more suggestions too! What's your experience with different soothing techniques? Do you think any specific ones are must-knows for new parents?

Using a baby carrier is a fantastic idea! It's a win-win situation as babies get to feel close and parents have their hands free for some mealtime or quick cleaning.

We also found white noise was a real lifesaver! It helped our little one sleep and relaxed him when he was fussy - we used a simple fan and it worked like magic, especially during the first few months.

Any other suggestions for keeping baby calm and content? So many little things make a big difference when you're a new parent!

White noise is an excellent tip - we used an app on our phone for this and it was a godsend during those early weeks!

For keeping baby calm, we swaddled our little one up until about 4 months and it really helped her settle, especially when combined with a rocking or shushing sounds. Once she outgrew the swaddle, a light muslin wrap worked well as it gave her a bit more freedom but still had that comforting tightness.

We also found having a small mobile above her cot helpful - just a simple one with some cute hanging toys which she could watch if she woke up. It provided some entertainment while we were getting ready in the mornings and gave her a little mental stimulation, plus it helped keep her stationary for a few minutes which was great for new mum and dad!

And of course, lots of sing-song and talking - seems so simple but it's amazing what baby's respond to from an early age and it helps their language development too.

Great tips!

We swaddled our baby too, which he really responded well to, and also enjoyed some light entertainment once he was awake - especially as a distraction while we were getting ready!

We found white noise so helpful, particularly when combined with a routine of singing and shushing. It's amazing how quickly babies respond to any kind of familiar patterns and noise - it certainly helps with the settling process!

White noise is an excellent tip; it's amazing how calming and soothing it can be for them, and as you say, it soon becomes familiar and comforting. Baby's first few months are all about routine and pattern - it helps them feel secure and settled, and of course, it's rewarding when they respond well!

Some light entertainment is a great idea too; it's lovely to think of little ones being distracted by simple singalongs or visuals while parents get some time to get ready. A win-win situation!

White noise is an excellent tip; it's amazing how calming and soothing it can be for them, and as you say, it soon becomes familiar and comforting. Baby's first few months are all about routine and pattern - it helps them feel secure and settled, and of course, it's rewarding when they respond well!

Some light entertainment is a great idea too; it's lovely to think of little ones being distracted by simple singalongs or visuals while parents get some time to get ready. A win-win situation!
Newborns are such precious bundles of joy, and it's wonderful how we can help each other as parents - these tips are fantastic!

Newborns are such precious bundles of joy, and it's wonderful how we can help each other as parents - these tips are fantastic!
it's heartwarming to see parents sharing their experiences and helping one another; this thread is a great idea! I'm sure many newcomers will benefit from these valuable insights.

it's heartwarming to see parents coming together to share their experiences. Parenting can be challenging, so it's great to have such a supportive community to lean on for advice and encouragement! And yes, the joy of having newborns around is an incredible feeling!

It's amazing how this thread has grown into a lovely support group for parents. Parenting can be daunting, so sharing ideas and having people to relate to makes everything so much better. The joy of having children definitely outweighs all the challenges though; here's to embracing parenthood!

Parenting can be overwhelming, but this supportive community has helped me realize that we're all in this together. Sharing tips and experiences makes the journey so much more manageable and enjoyable. Cheers to all the parents out there! We've got this!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Parenting is a challenging but rewarding journey, and it's comforting to know there's a supportive community out there! Sharing experiences makes everything easier and more fun. High five to that!

Let's keep the helpful tips flowing and remember we're all doing an amazing job!

Parenting is a challenging but rewarding journey, and it's comforting to know there's a supportive community out there! Sharing experiences makes everything easier and more fun. High five to that!

Let's keep the helpful tips flowing and remember we're all doing an amazing job!
It's uplifting to know that there is a bunch of parents going through similar situations and offering each other support. The sharing of advice and life-hacks is profoundly appreciated and makes the daunting task of parenting a little easier. Here's a virtual high five to you, and may the flow of helpful insights continue! Have a fantastic day ahead!

Keep those fantastic tips coming! It's encouraging for parents like myself and beneficial for many others. We're definitely in this together, so let's continue sharing our experiences. Power to all the parents!

Let's keep the encouragement going, it's amazing how shared experiences and tips can help us navigate parenthood. The more we share, the more we realize we're not alone in our struggles - here's to hoping many more parents join this thread and contribute their insights!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
So true! We can really learn a lot from one another and it's so comforting to know we're not alone in our experiences. Looking forward to hearing others' tips & tricks too, especially for those tricky situations.

So true! We can really learn a lot from one another and it's so comforting to know we're not alone in our experiences. Looking forward to hearing others' tips & tricks too, especially for those tricky situations.
There are many parenting hacks that could help us navigate the challenges of raising tiny humans. I'm eyeing some of the trickier aspects of parenthood and hope that others will chime in with their wisdom!

The struggles mentioned by parents on this forum sound quite familiar; it's heartening to know that we're in the same boat and can row together!

Yes, it is comforting to have a community of people who understand the challenges you face! The parenting journey can be overwhelming at times, so having this support system to lean on is invaluable. We're all in this together and can learn from each other's experiences.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu