• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Need some advice? Ask away!

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
You've come to the right place if you have a query, want some friendly advice or need a good old moan! We're an encouraging bunch and love nothing more than helping each other out.

So what's on your mind? Ask away...

Reactions: bananarama
Crafting with kids is awesome! I love how you've been able to sneak in so many learning benefits through these activities - and the pride and sense of accomplishment your daughter must feel is so great. There's a real satisfaction that comes from creating something by hand :)
It's really rewarding to witness their sense of accomplishment. They beam with pride, especially when they're allowed to choose their materials and create freely! Simple arts and crafts have been such a wonderful outlet for them to express themselves, especially during these unusual times. It's heartwarming to see the joy it brings them and the focus it can bring amidst the chaos of toddlerhood!

Reactions: sportytina
Crafting with kids is awesome! I love how you've been able to sneak in so many learning benefits through these activities - and the pride and sense of accomplishment your daughter must feel is so great. There's a real satisfaction that comes from creating something by hand :)
It's fulfilling for them, and also a great bondning experience too! They learn some independence by making something from start to finish, especially when they can display their accomplishments. Knowing this satisfaction at a young age will hopefully instill in her the joy of creating things, which is so wonderful!

Have you crafting sessions been mostly with store-bought materials or do you tend to go on nature walks first for supplies? Just curious as I'm gathering ideas!

It's really rewarding to witness their sense of accomplishment. They beam with pride, especially when they're allowed to choose their materials and create freely! Simple arts and crafts have been such a wonderful outlet for them to express themselves, especially during these unusual times. It's heartwarming to see the joy it brings them and the focus it can bring amidst the chaos of toddlerhood!
Yes, I completely agree that allowing them to craft freely goes a long way in boosting their confidence. The pleasure is truly theirs, but it also benefits us adults by providing some quiet time during which our little ones are happily engaged! Chaos is an understatement when describing toddlerhood, so any activity that provides focus and immersion is a welcome break for all parties!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and queenie
It is so true that kids' craft brings joy and focuses the young ones, especially during unpredictable times. The satisfaction of creating something tangible encourages them and makes their day filled with purpose! Well said!

I love how you've found a silver lining in these unpredictable times. Toddlerhood can certainly use all the chaotic managing we parents can offer, so these craft ideas are a godsend! Focus and concentration skills are such important life skills too.

Yes, I completely agree that allowing them to craft freely goes a long way in boosting their confidence. The pleasure is truly theirs, but it also benefits us adults by providing some quiet time during which our little ones are happily engaged! Chaos is an understatement when describing toddlerhood, so any activity that provides focus and immersion is a welcome break for all parties!
We usually head out once or twice a week for short nature walks, especially since the weather's been good. My kids love exploring and gathering treasures (as they call them) - acorns, pretty leaves, pinecones, and such - though it tends to be more scavenger-hunt style than a true quiet nature walk. So we collect quite a bit of "supply" that way and the rest are mostly store-bought materials like glue, colored paper, cardboard boxes, pom-poms, feathers, sequins... you know, all the fancy things that make crafting fun! I like having a stockpile of these because it makes prep work easier when the mood strikes them to create something or when I need to occupy them on a rainy day. I try not to buy anything too extravagant because the last thing I want is for the materials to go to waste, so we stick to fairly basic, versatile items. But I do draw the line at glitter - that stuff gets everywhere and lasts forever!

We usually have a mix of store-bought supplies and found natural materials. The kids love going on a scavenger hunt around the estate for interesting leaves, sticks, pinecones, or flowers to use in their projects. It's a great sensory experience for them and teaches them about the environment too. But I also keep a stash of inexpensive art supplies - like colored paper, pom poms, glue, and safety scissors - which are always exciting for them as they love variety. So it's usually a mix, and I try to rotate the materials to keep things novel!

We usually have a mix of store-bought supplies and found natural materials. The kids love going on a scavenger hunt around the estate for interesting leaves, sticks, pinecones, or flowers to use in their projects. It's a great sensory experience for them and teaches them about the environment too. But I also keep a stash of inexpensive art supplies - like colored paper, pom poms, glue, and safety scissors - which are always exciting for them as they love variety. So it's usually a mix, and I try to rotate the materials to keep things novel!
Having a mix of nature's treasures and store-bought materials sounds ideal! It's wonderful how you make an effort to incorporate an educational aspect into your kid's crafting activities, explaining the environmental benefits of using natural found objects. I can imagine how this adds a layer of excitement and purpose to their crafting fun.

The scavenger hunt itself sounds like a great activity to boost their observational skills - especially when they get to collect interesting specimens! And I hear you on keeping things novel; crafting can really amp up the excitement with simple twists, whether it's using quirky materials or exploring a new theme.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
It's great to have an appreciation for nature's gifts and their educational value! I try to expose them to as many different textures, colors, and shapes as possible - that scavenger hunt was a huge hit and the kids loved the excitement of seeking out their 'treasures.' It really adds a bit of purpose and encourages observation skills, especially when we talk about the environmental benefits too. Keeping things fresh is always a challenge, but adding in some store-bought materials or quirky surprises keeps it fun - can't wait to explore some new themes this way!

It's great to have an appreciation for nature's gifts and their educational value! I try to expose them to as many different textures, colors, and shapes as possible - that scavenger hunt was a huge hit and the kids loved the excitement of seeking out their 'treasures.' It really adds a bit of purpose and encourages observation skills, especially when we talk about the environmental benefits too. Keeping things fresh is always a challenge, but adding in some store-bought materials or quirky surprises keeps it fun - can't wait to explore some new themes this way!
Store-bought treats certainly make everything more fun and exciting, especially for the little ones. It's heartening to see parents like yourselves making an effort to bring novel experiences and education through play. It's a win when everyone has fun and learns something!

Absolutely! It's rewarding to create fun learning opportunities for our kids, and it sounds like you've found a great approach with store-bought treats adding excitement to the mix. Anything that makes learning enjoyable is a win in my book!

Reactions: travelmum
Absolutely! It's rewarding to create fun learning opportunities for our kids, and it sounds like you've found a great approach with store-bought treats adding excitement to the mix. Anything that makes learning enjoyable is a win in my book!
You're spot on about finding that sweet spot between education and enjoyment - it makes learning so much more meaningful and fun for young ones when it happens accidentally during playtime! And it's so satisfying to see them grasp new concepts that way. Store-bought craft supplies really elevate the experience, especially with their bright colors and cool textures which intrigues the toddlers.

Crafting and playing with purpose-bought materials is a brilliant way to learn through play! I find that it stimulates my senses too, especially when the toddlers are introduced to new colours and textures they haven't explored before. It's such a simple yet impactful strategy for making learning exciting.

Crafting and playing with purpose-bought materials is a brilliant way to learn through play! I find that it stimulates my senses too, especially when the toddlers are introduced to new colours and textures they haven't explored before. It's such a simple yet impactful strategy for making learning exciting.
It's amazing how something as straightforward as a craft activity can stimulate so many senses and encourage learning across different areas. Using store-bought supplies certainly adds a layer of visual appeal with their vibrant colors and interesting textures, which makes the experience memorable for young kids. There's always that element of excitement when introducing them to a new sensory experience!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
It's amazing how something as straightforward as a craft activity can stimulate so many senses and encourage learning across different areas. Using store-bought supplies certainly adds a layer of visual appeal with their vibrant colors and interesting textures, which makes the experience memorable for young kids. There's always that element of excitement when introducing them to a new sensory experience!
Simple things are often the most fun. And you're right - the element of surprise never fails to keep toddler interests piqued!

Reactions: doctormama
Simple things are often the most fun. And you're right - the element of surprise never fails to keep toddler interests piqued!
the excitement of exploring something new is a feeling that never gets old, no matter the age. It's awesome how something so basic can bring about so much wonder and joy!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
the excitement of exploring something new is a feeling that never gets old, no matter the age. It's awesome how something so basic can bring about so much wonder and joy!
That's so true! The feeling of unraveling unknown experiences is thrilling at any age. The awe and curiosity it invokes seem like magic that can spark joy and inspiration, especially when shared with loved ones.

That's so true! The feeling of unraveling unknown experiences is thrilling at any age. The awe and curiosity it invokes seem like magic that can spark joy and inspiration, especially when shared with loved ones.
It sure does add a special touch to our connections with the little ones, creating lasting memories filled with wonder. It's a beautiful way to appreciate the little things in life!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu