• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Need some advice? Ask away!

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
You've come to the right place if you have a query, want some friendly advice or need a good old moan! We're an encouraging bunch and love nothing more than helping each other out.

So what's on your mind? Ask away...

Reactions: bananarama
If anyone has any recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate them! I'm at a loss for how to keep my 2-year old entertained indoors. With the rainy season upon us, I've run out of ideas to keep him occupied inside our tiny apartment. He's very active and loves being outside, but the rain makes that difficult. Any fun indoor activities you've tried with your toddlers?

Set up a obstacle course! Use cushions, chairs, anything really that can be climbed over, and crawling through! Set up a scavenger hunt around the apartment with household objects, or even better - hide some toys he loves but hasn't seen in a while for him to rediscover! If you're able to, a great activity for this age is painting. Not just on paper - let them paint the walls! Or get some kinetic sand and some cookie cutters for some sensory play. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Set up a obstacle course! Use cushions, chairs, anything really that can be climbed over, and crawling through! Set up a scavenger hunt around the apartment with household objects, or even better - hide some toys he loves but hasn't seen in a while for him to rediscover! If you're able to, a great activity for this age is painting. Not just on paper - let them paint the walls! Or get some kinetic sand and some cookie cutters for some sensory play. Good luck!
Thank you! I love the idea of a scavenger hunt and refocusing his attention on long-forgotten toys. Kinetic sand sounds messy but fun! My son adores art, so I might let him loose with some washable poster paint just to see what happens. :)

Art is a wonderful idea! A mess it may be, but it's so much fun and great for sensory play too. Have fun and enjoy watching his creative masterpiece come to life - washable paint is definitely the way to go!
It certainly won't hurt to let him experiment with different textures and forms of art at this age. Besides washable paints, what other messes have you encountered that are actually fun indoor activities? I'm gathering ideas for the next rainy day!

Art is a wonderful idea! A mess it may be, but it's so much fun and great for sensory play too. Have fun and enjoy watching his creative masterpiece come to life - washable paint is definitely the way to go!
Yeah, I'm gonna let him go wild with colors, he's definitely gonna love it. The mess is going to be a sight to behold, but like you said, it's all part of the fun! Thanks for the recommendation!

Glad to help! Have fun cleaning up afterward - remember, the messier, the more fun!
That sounds like great encouragement! Haha! Hopefully, the memories created will outweigh the hassle of cleanup. Thank you for sharing your ideas! It's always nice to discover indoor activities that toddlers can enjoy! Have a great day and stay dry!

Glad to help! Have fun cleaning up afterward - remember, the messier, the more fun!
Haha, I'll try to embrace the chaos that comes with kid's play. It's definitely a different kind of enjoyable when they're so engrossed in an activity and learning through play. Thanks for the encouragement though! It's parents like you that make me look forward to embracing the mess 😁. Have a great day!

• Love
Reactions: koala and sunflower
Some low-cost, easy arts and crafts supplies to have on hand for a rainy day are:

- Paper in various colors
- Scissors
- Glue sticks or tape
- Paint and paint brushes
- Recycled materials such as toilet paper rolls, yoghurt containers, egg cartons, and plastic lids.

These open-ended supplies can keep kids entertained for hours! They allow for creative expression and occupy kids of all ages. Cheaper than buying themed craft kits, these basic supplies are versatile enough to create a multitude of crafts.

With supervision, the possibilities for crafts are endless! For inspiration, check out online tutorials or pinterest for ideas to suit your materials and the age range of your children.

That's a great list! I'd also suggest some sticks, leaves, and stones - a free supply of craft materials ready to collect on your next walk! Nature crafts are a favourite of mine, especially when combined with all the other supplies you mentioned; there's something special about creating creatures and scenes using materials from the natural world.

Additionally, having some simple knitting or weaving supplies on hand can be an excellent way to introduce kids to textiles and the basics of fabric creation - even if it's just teaching them how to tie knots!

With all these supplies on hand, you'll be well equipped for many rainy days to come!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Nature crafts are wonderful! I especially love the idea of using materials collected from the environment - it's such a great way to connect kids with nature and seasons, too.

The knitting suggestion is a good one as well; teaching basic textile skills is so beneficial when it comes to crafting, and can be done at any age - my grandma tried teaching me to knit when I was tiny, but it didn't stick! But the notion of creating something from scratch using simple tools is a great skill for anyone to learn.

What other suggestions does anyone have for easy 'beginner' crafts that use common household items or inexpensive supplies? Would love to hear some more ideas for rainy day activities!

Nature crafts are wonderful! I especially love the idea of using materials collected from the environment - it's such a great way to connect kids with nature and seasons, too.

The knitting suggestion is a good one as well; teaching basic textile skills is so beneficial when it comes to crafting, and can be done at any age - my grandma tried teaching me to knit when I was tiny, but it didn't stick! But the notion of creating something from scratch using simple tools is a great skill for anyone to learn.

What other suggestions does anyone have for easy 'beginner' crafts that use common household items or inexpensive supplies? Would love to hear some more ideas for rainy day activities!
Another thing you can introduce is making collages using the collected natural materials stuck onto paper with glue. You mentioned knitting, which is a great way to introduce fiber arts; sewing could also be an option here. Simple hand-sewing or even just the use of a simple needle and thread for embellishing the artwork creates an opportunity to practice fine motor skills. Punching holes in paper and threading the thread through is a good foundational sewing activity for kids.

If you're crafty yourself and have some extra beads lying around, those tiny treasures can be a fun addition to any art session. They come in handy for learning patterns and fine motor control too!

Another thing you can introduce is making collages using the collected natural materials stuck onto paper with glue. You mentioned knitting, which is a great way to introduce fiber arts; sewing could also be an option here. Simple hand-sewing or even just the use of a simple needle and thread for embellishing the artwork creates an opportunity to practice fine motor skills. Punching holes in paper and threading the thread through is a good foundational sewing activity for kids.

If you're crafty yourself and have some extra beads lying around, those tiny treasures can be a fun addition to any art session. They come in handy for learning patterns and fine motor control too!
The collage idea is wonderful! I used to love making collages when I was little; the more sparkly and colorful, the better. Beads are a great suggestion too - they can also help with teaching counting and colors, especially for little ones. Sewing is a lovely activity for improving finger dexterity, and it's amazing what simple designs kids can come up with. Thanks for sharing!

Collage making can be a wonderful hobby for little ones to develop their creativity and motor skills! The excitement of creating something sparkly and colourful is a great incentive for kids too. Beads are an excellent suggestion to add another layer of learning - counting and colours. Sewing's educational value is immense, especially when young ones come up with their own simple designs. You're most welcome; hope your little ones have lots of fun!

The arts are a fantastic way to educate kids while they think it's just playtime! Beads and sewing especially sneak in so much learning - great suggestions there.

Absolutely! I've seen the benefits of this first-hand. My daughter has learned spatial reasoning, pattern recognition, fine motor control... the list goes on! We recently started doing simple embroidery which has been a great activity for her. She focuses so intently and is so proud to display her finished work afterwards. There's also the added bonus that she now has a small collection of artsy toys that she can play with for hours - threading beads onto pipe cleaners, sewing cards, etc.

• Love
Reactions: queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu