• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Navigating Work-Family Juggling Act

My morning productivity hack involves preparing as much as possible nighttime before: laying out clothes and preparing breakfast foods/packed lunches etc. This way I feel calm and ahead even before stepping out of the door.

I use the Notes app on my phone for to-dos - nothing fancy but it's sufficiently straightforward and accessible. Ticks beside each item give me a sense of accomplishment too!
That's an insightful ritual, especially preparing the night before. It indeed makes a lot of sense to take some burden off the morning rush hour!
The Notes app is user-friendly indeed, handy and efficient - pleased to know it works well for you! Any other tricks up your sleeve for this work-life puzzle?

That's an insightful ritual, especially preparing the night before. It indeed makes a lot of sense to take some burden off the morning rush hour!
The Notes app is user-friendly indeed, handy and efficient - pleased to know it works well for you! Any other tricks up your sleeve for this work-life puzzle?
Mostly just common sense stuff like keeping a physical calendar up at all times (I'm old school that way). And taking time each week to reassess my schedule, usually on Sundays to prepare for the coming week's chaos. Also, I rely a lot on my kid's school's communications platform - it helps to have timely updates and open channels with the teachers!

Mostly just common sense stuff like keeping a physical calendar up at all times (I'm old school that way). And taking time each week to reassess my schedule, usually on Sundays to prepare for the coming week's chaos. Also, I rely a lot on my kid's school's communications platform - it helps to have timely updates and open channels with the teachers!
That's thoughtful of you to plan ahead every Sunday! It's also useful to hear that you stay connected with your kid's school through an online platform - sounds convenient and efficient. Do share more if you have any other original strategies!

That's thoughtful of you to plan ahead every Sunday! It's also useful to hear that you stay connected with your kid's school through an online platform - sounds convenient and efficient. Do share more if you have any other original strategies!
I'm all about keeping things old school - pen and paper for my weekly menu plans so I know exactly what's for dinner and can prepare accordingly, or else I forget everything! Also, having a dedicated spot for keys, wallets, and shoes helps with our family's exit routine, especially when we're already rushing out the door.

I'm all about keeping things old school - pen and paper for my weekly menu plans so I know exactly what's for dinner and can prepare accordingly, or else I forget everything! Also, having a dedicated spot for keys, wallets, and shoes helps with our family's exit routine, especially when we're already rushing out the door.
Pen and paper menu plans sound like a lovely tactile approach! It's also quite retro and charming.

A designated spot for everything does help with smoothness and pace, especially during exits and entrances. Parents will appreciate your thoughtful and practical ideas! Are you open to tech-based strategies as well? It would be interesting to hear how you feel about the apps and digital platforms that are so prevalent these days in family life planning!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Pen and paper menu plans sound like a lovely tactile approach! It's also quite retro and charming.

A designated spot for everything does help with smoothness and pace, especially during exits and entrances. Parents will appreciate your thoughtful and practical ideas! Are you open to tech-based strategies as well? It would be interesting to hear how you feel about the apps and digital platforms that are so prevalent these days in family life planning!
I do embrace technology too, but low key and simple ones hahaha! I use WhatsApp a lot for quick updates with other moms from school, especially for last-minute reminders and sharing of ideas. Our parents' group has an ongoing chat where we keep each other in the loop about events, ask questions, and share recommendations - it's very handy! Also, Google Maps is a lifesaver when I need to dart to new places in unfamiliar territories; that split-second GPS location tracking is a real help! So yes, some tech definitely makes life easier, but it's also nice to keep things simple and analogue, especially at home where screens aren't the first thing we reach out for haha!

I do embrace technology too, but low key and simple ones hahaha! I use WhatsApp a lot for quick updates with other moms from school, especially for last-minute reminders and sharing of ideas. Our parents' group has an ongoing chat where we keep each other in the loop about events, ask questions, and share recommendations - it's very handy! Also, Google Maps is a lifesaver when I need to dart to new places in unfamiliar territories; that split-second GPS location tracking is a real help! So yes, some tech definitely makes life easier, but it's also nice to keep things simple and analogue, especially at home where screens aren't the first thing we reach out for haha!
As one of the most prominent parents in our digital world these days, I appreciate both sides of the coin - the traditional and the modern techy side. It's enjoyable discovering ways, honestly, as long as it makes our lives more manageable!

I'm sure many moms would love to hear additional tips you may have up your sleeve, especially on how you manage family life with a good balance of both worlds!

As one of the most prominent parents in our digital world these days, I appreciate both sides of the coin - the traditional and the modern techy side. It's enjoyable discovering ways, honestly, as long as it makes our lives more manageable!

I'm sure many moms would love to hear additional tips you may have up your sleeve, especially on how you manage family life with a good balance of both worlds!
There's an art to managing family life, and I guess it comes with lots of practice and patience! Balance is key - too much of something ain't good haha! As much as I enjoy the analogue side of things and the calmness it brings, I do appreciate the efficiency that some apps offer. Besides the ones I mentioned earlier, I also use this really cute parenting app called "Family Life" for documenting and tracking my kid's growth - it has helpful tips and weekly updates on his developmental milestones, and is super easy to navigate. It's quite heartwarming to look back on his progress through the journal feature! As for keeping everything in check, I rely on a family organiser notebook physically, but digitally, we use the school's app which syncs everyone's schedules through a shared calendar - handy for coordination!

There's an art to managing family life, and I guess it comes with lots of practice and patience! Balance is key - too much of something ain't good haha! As much as I enjoy the analogue side of things and the calmness it brings, I do appreciate the efficiency that some apps offer. Besides the ones I mentioned earlier, I also use this really cute parenting app called "Family Life" for documenting and tracking my kid's growth - it has helpful tips and weekly updates on his developmental milestones, and is super easy to navigate. It's quite heartwarming to look back on his progress through the journal feature! As for keeping everything in check, I rely on a family organiser notebook physically, but digitally, we use the school's app which syncs everyone's schedules through a shared calendar - handy for coordination!
It's enjoyable hearing about your approaches to the work-life puzzle! You're right about balance being key, and it's fascinating to learn how you've incorporated various strategies to navigate the juggles of family life with aplomb :)

It's enjoyable hearing about your approaches to the work-life puzzle! You're right about balance being key, and it's fascinating to learn how you've incorporated various strategies to navigate the juggles of family life with aplomb :)
Yes, figuring out what works best is indeed a fun process of trial and error!

Yes, figuring out what works best is indeed a fun process of trial and error!
Figuring out the work-family balance is no mean feat; sounds like you're doing an awesome job! Do continue sharing your insights; they're sure to be a hit with other parents here :)

Figuring out the work-family balance is no mean feat; sounds like you're doing an awesome job! Do continue sharing your insights; they're sure to be a hit with other parents here :)
Aiyoh, I'm not so sure about that la. But I'll keep sharing what I do in case it helps anyone!

Aiyoh, I'm not so sure about that la. But I'll keep sharing what I do in case it helps anyone!
Indeed, the struggle to find work-family balance is real and you've been killing it with your old-school yet tech-savvy methods! Well done! Do you have any other tips related to family logistics?

Indeed, the struggle to find work-family balance is real and you've been killing it with your old-school yet tech-savvy methods! Well done! Do you have any other tips related to family logistics?
Hmmm, for now, I don't really have any other 'logistics' tips la. I think the earlier points on menu planning and keeping a family calendar are quite crucial, at least for our household! They help ensure we're all on the same page. But if I were to add another tip, it might be about making sure you have an emergency stash of snacks in the house for hungry tummies. My kids seem to always be starving after school and before dinner, so having easy access to healthy snacks is a lifesaver!

Hmmm, for now, I don't really have any other 'logistics' tips la. I think the earlier points on menu planning and keeping a family calendar are quite crucial, at least for our household! They help ensure we're all on the same page. But if I were to add another tip, it might be about making sure you have an emergency stash of snacks in the house for hungry tummies. My kids seem to always be starving after school and before dinner, so having easy access to healthy snacks is a lifesaver!
Having some contingency plans up your sleeve is a great idea indeed, especially for hunger pangs! Snacks are a great go-to option; it's a small yet meaningful way to keep the household content.

Having some contingency plans up your sleeve is a great idea indeed, especially for hunger pangs! Snacks are a great go-to option; it's a small yet meaningful way to keep the household content.
You're right about hunger pangs striking fear into any parent's heart! I usually keep apples and bananas on hand as healthy options, but it's good to have a few treats too, so they don't feel deprived.

You're right about hunger pangs striking fear into any parent's heart! I usually keep apples and bananas on hand as healthy options, but it's good to have a few treats too, so they don't feel deprived.
Keeping both healthy and treat snacks on standby sounds like an excellent strategy to cater to different cravings and palates!

Keeping both healthy and treat snacks on standby sounds like an excellent strategy to cater to different cravings and palates!
Indeed, variety is the spice of life - even when it comes to snack choices! It's nice to have a mix of nutritious and fun treats to keep everyone satisfied.
Do you guys have any favorite snacks that you stock up on? I'm sure many parents would love new ideas!

Indeed, variety is the spice of life - even when it comes to snack choices! It's nice to have a mix of nutritious and fun treats to keep everyone satisfied.
Do you guys have any favorite snacks that you stock up on? I'm sure many parents would love new ideas!
My kids' all-time favorite snacks are the good old goldfish crackers, those cheesy and cute fish-shaped biscuits! They're a huge hit with the young ones. But for healthier options, I also keep grapes, carrots sticks, and berries in the fridge. These seem to be their current favorites which is great because I feel less bad about giving them seconds (or thirds)!

My kids' all-time favorite snacks are the good old goldfish crackers, those cheesy and cute fish-shaped biscuits! They're a huge hit with the young ones. But for healthier options, I also keep grapes, carrots sticks, and berries in the fridge. These seem to be their current favorites which is great because I feel less bad about giving them seconds (or thirds)!
I think we have some budding snack experts in the making!

My little ones enjoy helping to prepare the fruits and veggies - with washing and cutting being their favourite tasks, of course. It's a good way to get them involved and appreciate the food preparation process, and the additional family time is always welcome!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu