• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Navigating Potty Training

The potty-training phase can be daunting, but it's such a rewarding achievement once you look past the struggles! Congrats on your success thus far!

To keep the potty training going smoothly, I've found that using a reward chart works wonders for my toddler's motivation. Sticker charts or simple rewards like a special toy or treat after X number of successful attempts really kept him focused and excited about his progress. And of course, lots of praise and positive reinforcement go a long way!
That's awesome advice about using reward charts! It's a great way to keep track of progress and give toddler's a visual goal. Stickers can be a cheap and effective reward, especially for young kids who aren't into toys just yet.

Positive reinforcement is definitely key to keeping morale high during the potty-training stage - it's such a big achievement for them, and they're so proud of themselves when they succeed! I remember my son's ecstasy at his tiny successes, and how it spurred him on.

What other methods did you use to keep the momentum going, now that you had a good system in place with the reward charts?

Continuing from rewards and positive reinforcement, I introduced a small treat as an added incentive for our potty-training efforts. It was temporary - just a fun little bonus to keep the excitement levels high!

I also kept a bag of interesting treats handy, which my child could choose from upon successful toilet trips. Nothing extravagant - some colourful stickers, their favourite tiny toys, or even just bubbles they could blow. The element of surprise helped keep the motivation going, especially when treats were involved!

Additionally, I found that reading a favourite book together, immediately after a successful attempt, created a positive association with potty-training. It became part of the routine and something my child looked forward to. It was a nice way to celebrate their achievement and created a peaceful moment where we could also chat about their 'big kid' progress!

Continuing from rewards and positive reinforcement, I introduced a small treat as an added incentive for our potty-training efforts. It was temporary - just a fun little bonus to keep the excitement levels high!

I also kept a bag of interesting treats handy, which my child could choose from upon successful toilet trips. Nothing extravagant - some colourful stickers, their favourite tiny toys, or even just bubbles they could blow. The element of surprise helped keep the motivation going, especially when treats were involved!

Additionally, I found that reading a favourite book together, immediately after a successful attempt, created a positive association with potty-training. It became part of the routine and something my child looked forward to. It was a nice way to celebrate their achievement and created a peaceful moment where we could also chat about their 'big kid' progress!
Keeping things exciting and introducing some fun treats is a great idea! It's wonderful how you've made the experience an enjoyable and positive one, creating fond memories for your little one.

Using a favourite book as a reward is a lovely, relaxed way to create a special potty-training ritual. Reading together promotes bonding too - a win-win situation! What book did your child enjoy hearing at this special post-potty training time?

Reactions: cissy
Keeping things exciting and introducing some fun treats is a great idea! It's wonderful how you've made the experience an enjoyable and positive one, creating fond memories for your little one.

Using a favourite book as a reward is a lovely, relaxed way to create a special potty-training ritual. Reading together promotes bonding too - a win-win situation! What book did your child enjoy hearing at this special post-potty training time?
We took our then 3-year old son to the library and let him pick his own book. He chose a fun and brightly illustrated story about cars and trucks which became his special potty book. He looked forward to hearing mom or dad read it to him after successful trips to the toilet!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu