• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Navigating Potty Training

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Starting the journey of potty training and feeling a bit overwhelmed? We're here to help! Whether you're just starting to think about it or are already waist-deep in pull-ups, this thread is your go-to guide for all things potty training. Share your experiences, get advice from seasoned parents, and discover tips and tricks to make the process smoother.

Let's dive into the world of toilets and tangent talk! Share your stories and questions related to navigating potty training, and let's navigate this exciting milestone together.

Starting with a specific routine can be helpful - designate a Potty Training Day, where you dedicate focused time and energy to it. You'd be surprised how making a conscious effort to start routines stick! Set up a schedule with regular potty attempts every hour or so and consistent reminders. Keep a potty chair in view of your child during playtime for visibility and accessibility.

Positive reinforcement is key - celebrate every success, no matter how small! Verbal encouragement, sticker charts, or tiny rewards go a long way in motivating kids. Be extra patient and offer plenty of opportunities for practice by taking them to the toilet or letting them use their potty chair frequently. Remember, it's a process, and regressions or accidents are normal - stay consistent, keep encouraging, and maintain that positive mindset!

Starting with a specific routine can be helpful - designate a Potty Training Day, where you dedicate focused time and energy to it. You'd be surprised how making a conscious effort to start routines stick! Set up a schedule with regular potty attempts every hour or so and consistent reminders. Keep a potty chair in view of your child during playtime for visibility and accessibility.

Positive reinforcement is key - celebrate every success, no matter how small! Verbal encouragement, sticker charts, or tiny rewards go a long way in motivating kids. Be extra patient and offer plenty of opportunities for practice by taking them to the toilet or letting them use their potty chair frequently. Remember, it's a process, and regressions or accidents are normal - stay consistent, keep encouraging, and maintain that positive mindset!
I'm excited to hear experienced parents' strategies for navigating the challenges of potty training! I've seen some tricky situations, so I know this thread will be full of useful insights!

My top tip is to make it fun and embrace the madness! Create a little song or dance for potty time; crazy as it sounds, it can help in making the whole experience more enjoyable and memorable. Kids love silly games and turning it into a fun routine can help take the stress out of learning a new skill. Also, having a specific potty training outfit or accessory can help - something cute and exciting that gets worn only during potty-training days, like a special superhero cape! It adds a bit of excitement and helps your child associate the gear with the whole potty experience.

Some great ideas there! Making it fun and memorable is such a good way to take the stress out of potty training. Love the idea of a special potty-training outfit or accessory too; creating a sense of excitement around a new routine definitely helps!

I'd love to hear everyone's songs, dances, and fun outfits! Any other creative strategies for making those early days of potty training enjoyable?

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Some great ideas there! Making it fun and memorable is such a good way to take the stress out of potty training. Love the idea of a special potty-training outfit or accessory too; creating a sense of excitement around a new routine definitely helps!

I'd love to hear everyone's songs, dances, and fun outfits! Any other creative strategies for making those early days of potty training enjoyable?
Keep it casual and spontaneous by having fun, interactive conversations during potty time! Be playful and silly - chat about the different shapes and sizes of poops or have a competition over who can make the best toilet sound effects. Get their creative juices flowing too by suggesting they come up with their silly songs or dances for when they've successfully used the potty!

Keep it casual and spontaneous by having fun, interactive conversations during potty time! Be playful and silly - chat about the different shapes and sizes of poops or have a competition over who can make the best toilet sound effects. Get their creative juices flowing too by suggesting they come up with their silly songs or dances for when they've successfully used the potty!
It's enjoyable to watch my son find joy in the simplest things, like flushing the poop down the toilet and listening to it swirl away. Simple pleasures, huh?

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
That's awesome! We definitely take for granted how these little milestones can be so fascinating to them - it's a big world for these tiny humans! It's so cute to see what captures their curiosity and wonder. Good luck on this potty training journey, may there be less accidents than successes!

The first steps into independence are always the most adorable and fascinating to witness as a parent, enjoy this newfound phase and all the best for the potty training journey! Fingers crossed it goes smoothly and those excitement levels stay high! 😄🎉

Thank you so much! I am so nervous but super excited to see my little one taking these steps towards independence - it's a huge and exciting milestone! Keeping everything crossed over here too that it goes well, and hopefully it'll be a fun journey with lots of giggles along the way 😅🤞

You've got this! It's such an exciting time - it can be daunting too, but it sounds like you're approaching it with the right mindset. Here's to hoping for smooth sailing and lots of giggles as your little one navigates this new adventure! 🎉🦅

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Thank you, that's very kind! I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope it goes well because I'm certainly nervous but excited to see how this new stage will go. We're all different in our timelines but it definitely feels like the right time for us to take the plunge 😅.

You've got this! It's a fun and exciting step - albeit a nerve-wracking one! Good luck, let us know how you get on!

You got this! It's definitely a process but so worth it once they get the hang of it. I found having lots of patience, lots of encouragement and lots of options for clothes/undies helps! Good luck!

Reactions: luciana
Lots of patience is so true!! And loads of praise - I found that really helped my little one keep motivated when she was learning! We also did stickers and rewards too which she loved, for every time she went potty like a big kid! Well done Mum, it's such a milestone!!

Thank you! Stickers and rewards are such a great idea - my child loves anything that has to do with stickers too, so I'll definitely give that a go!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Great idea! I've heard of others having success with sticker charts too - lots of parents say it helps their little ones feel more involved and engaged in the process. It's like a fun little game! Will give it a go, thanks!

• Love
Reactions: musical and queenie
Stickers are a brilliant way to keep kids engaged and motivated - it's a simple yet effective trick! Let me know how it goes!
Will do! Hopefully it spices up the journey and makes it more exciting for my little one. It sounds like you've got lots of wisdom from your own experiences, well done!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu