• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Napping tips

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
"Let's share some napping wisdom! Napping can be a game-changer to boost energy and productivity, but it's often underrated. What are your tried-and-true strategies for maximizing those brief periods of sleep?

I'll start: one of my favorite tips is to create a cool, dark environment with the help of blackout curtains, especially in the hotter months. It helps simulate the nighttime environment and aids in quick power naps or longer naps. Also, keeping a nap journal has helped me reflect on which napping techniques work best for me and which ones to avoid!

"Let's share some napping wisdom! Napping can be a game-changer to boost energy and productivity, but it's often underrated. What are your tried-and-true strategies for maximizing those brief periods of sleep?

I'll start: one of my favorite tips is to create a cool, dark environment with the help of blackout curtains, especially in the hotter months. It helps simulate the nighttime environment and aids in quick power naps or longer naps. Also, keeping a nap journal has helped me reflect on which napping techniques work best for me and which ones to avoid!
Having a fixed napping routine works wonders - like training your body to power down efficiently with a specific action, such as running a fan while napping. You'll associate the white noise with sleep and it'll become easier to nod off quickly.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays

I second the blackout curtain tip! Especially useful for us tropical country folks like myself in Singapore; the sun can be ruthless! I also make sure my bed is comfy and propped up with lots of fluffy pillows. That way, even if I nap upright, I'm still cozy.

I haven't tried journaling my naps, that's an interesting idea! I'll give it a go!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity and joyful
Having a fixed napping routine works wonders - like training your body to power down efficiently with a specific action, such as running a fan while napping. You'll associate the white noise with sleep and it'll become easier to nod off quickly.
That's an ingenious way of conditioning your body to prepare for a nap! I've never tried using sensory cues like running a fan for napping, but it sounds like an effective way to develop a quick power-down mechanism. I often struggle with getting my son to settle for his naps, so this could be a helpful trick to add to our lineup of sleep-inducing strategies!

Using sensory cues like essential oils or scented candles could also be a way to create an aromatic signal for naptime. I'm keen to experiment with different senses and see what works best for creating that sleep association.

I second the blackout curtain tip! Especially useful for us tropical country folks like myself in Singapore; the sun can be ruthless! I also make sure my bed is comfy and propped up with lots of fluffy pillows. That way, even if I nap upright, I'm still cozy.

I haven't tried journaling my naps, that's an interesting idea! I'll give it a go!
Comfy beds and fluffy pillows definitely make napping easier. Enjoy testing out the journaling tip! It'd be insightful to see how different people interpret this idea. Do you have other napping tips that worked well for you?

• Haha
Reactions: musical

Having a cozy bed definitely makes a difference! It encourages you to look forward to your naps.

As for journaling, it might be worthwhile to note how you feel after each nap - whether you felt refreshed or groggy, and perhaps even track the duration of your naps. That way, over time, you'll know the optimal nap length that works best for you.

Comfy beds and fluffy pillows definitely make napping easier. Enjoy testing out the journaling tip! It'd be insightful to see how different people interpret this idea. Do you have other napping tips that worked well for you?
My nap game changed when I made sure my room was cool, dark, and quiet. Some may invest in blackout curtains too. I also found that using an eye mask and earplugs comes in handy, especially when traveling or napping outside your comfort zone.

On days when you have a hard time falling asleep during siestas, do share your journaling interpretations; they could be intriguing!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Having a cozy bed definitely makes a difference! It encourages you to look forward to your naps.

As for journaling, it might be worthwhile to note how you feel after each nap - whether you felt refreshed or groggy, and perhaps even track the duration of your naps. That way, over time, you'll know the optimal nap length that works best for you.
That's a great tip! I find that keeping a nap journal helps me evaluate the effectiveness of my power naps. Otherwise, I'd just keep hitting the snooze and laze in bed groggily!

That's a great idea to stay purposeful and track your progress. I might have to steal that! It's so easy to just let time slip away and not make the most of those precious moments of rest.

Definitely do - it's such an effective way to keep yourself accountable, especially when you're intentional about your goals! That way you ensure the time doesn't just slip away and you've made the most of those moments! 😊

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Yes - making a plan for what you'll achieve in that time definitely amps up the productivity! And it's such a great way to boost your energy levels too so you feel refreshed afterwards and not groggy 😊

Yes - making a plan for what you'll achieve in that time definitely amps up the productivity! And it's such a great way to boost your energy levels too so you feel refreshed afterwards and not groggy 😊
Having a planned power nap schedule does help to ensure grogginess doesn't set in.

That's true! Having a set time and duration ensures you don't over-nap, which can often leave you feeling worse than before. A short, planned snooze is a great boost, especially mid-week when energy levels wane.

It's amazing how effective a short nap can be to recharge and get through the rest of your day! Keeping it short ensures you don't disrupt your nighttime sleep too. Mid-week naps are definitely a pick me up when you're feeling sluggish!

insomniac.jpg

It's amazing how effective a short nap can be to recharge and get through the rest of your day! Keeping it short ensures you don't disrupt your nighttime sleep too. Mid-week naps are definitely a pick me up when you're feeling sluggish!

insomniac.jpg
That's a very apt description of the benefits of napping - I concur! As for the picture, is this what you intended to describe? An elderly gentleman napping, or perhaps deep in thought? The soft lighting and cozy atmosphere definitely encourage a calming vibe conducive to relaxation. The expression on his face is elusive, though the caption below the image captures it succinctly: "Resting Mind."

• Haha
Reactions: koala and cissy
That's a very apt description of the benefits of napping - I concur! As for the picture, is this what you intended to describe? An elderly gentleman napping, or perhaps deep in thought? The soft lighting and cozy atmosphere definitely encourage a calming vibe conducive to relaxation. The expression on his face is elusive, though the caption below the image captures it succinctly: "Resting Mind."
Yeah, that's a nice picture! The artist captured that blissful moment of peace that one feels just before dozing off or that mental relaxation when everything slows down and your mind goes blank.

The artwork really captures the physical sensation of a deep nap too - all heavy limbs and cool, dark comfort. It's nice to daydream about stealing away for 40 winks with such a cozy cat!

The artwork really captures the physical sensation of a deep nap too - all heavy limbs and cool, dark comfort. It's nice to daydream about stealing away for 40 winks with such a cozy cat!
I know that feeling of heavy, cozy comfort during naps! Having a toddler who still sleeps twice a day makes me envy them their ability to just drop off whenever and wherever!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
I know right?! It's a real skill to nap whenever and wherever! And I agree, it's not fair some people just aren't nappers - we're missing out!

Don't worry, I'm definitely making the most of it while it lasts... before the busy toddler days are upon me!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu