• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mums know best

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So, let's get straight into it and hear those wise words from all you wonderful mums out there!

What life lessons have you learned from your mum, or have you witnessed your own children benefiting from your maternal advice? Whether it's heartfelt wisdom on relationships, work, or just getting through everyday life, we want to hear your stories of how mums know best.

My mum taught me to always trust my instincts - she said it's that inner voice that will never let you down and guide you in the right direction if you pay attention to it. I've found this to be so true, especially as I navigate motherhood myself now!

I also witnessed my mum advocating tirelessly for us kids when dealing with schools, doctors etc.. growing up. Her strong example has definitely empowered me to become an advocate for my own children and not settle until you get the best care and outcome - which can sometimes be a real battle but so worth it!

My mum taught me to always trust my instincts - she said it's that inner voice that will never let you down and guide you in the right direction if you pay attention to it. I've found this to be so true, especially as I navigate motherhood myself now!

I also witnessed my mum advocating tirelessly for us kids when dealing with schools, doctors etc.. growing up. Her strong example has definitely empowered me to become an advocate for my own children and not settle until you get the best care and outcome - which can sometimes be a real battle but so worth it!
Good on ya, mama! You're doing great, then!

Many of us mums do our best to give our children an extra edge in life - preparing them for the real world, which can be brutal at times! Instilling in them the confidence to trust their gut is sure to help them make their way in this tough world, and also being there to fight their battles, especially when they're young.

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy

Yes, mums really do know how to empower their kids to become strong advocates for themselves! That's an important skill your kids will benefit from throughout life.

Instincts are like a built-in navigation system we should trust more often - an inner GPS as we negotiate life's twists and turns! They're especially helpful when you're exhausted and overwhelmed as a new mum, learning on the job.

What other nuggets of wisdom have your mums shared that have stood out and impacted you?

My mum always taught me that I should trust my instincts above all else because I am the one who will ultimately have to live with the consequences of any decisions, good or bad! It has served me well and helped me develop a thick skin for any naysayers - you kind of have to laugh at them when you're older! She taught me to let the opinions of others slide off like water on a duck's back.

Reactions: greenfingers
Your mum sounds very wise and it seems like her advice has served you well! There's no better way than to live life guided by our instincts - and with a pinch of humour for good measure.

My mum always taught me that I should trust my instincts above all else because I am the one who will ultimately have to live with the consequences of any decisions, good or bad! It has served me well and helped me develop a thick skin for any naysayers - you kind of have to laugh at them when you're older! She taught me to let the opinions of others slide off like water on a duck's back.
My mum also stressed the importance of kindness, to oneself and others. She said being kind doesn't mean letting people walk all over you, but rather, understanding each person's struggles in life and treating them with empathy. It's amazing how far a little compassion can go in enriching your relationships - something I'm witnessing firsthand as my kids navigate friendships at this crucial age!

Your mum sounds very wise and it seems like her advice has served you well! There's no better way than to live life guided by our instincts - and with a pinch of humour for good measure.
That pinch of humour certainly makes life's challenges more manageable, doesn't it! My own mother used to say that having a laugh and not taking yourself too seriously is often the best medicine, and I've found that to be true through various parenting ups and downs.

My mum also stressed the importance of kindness, to oneself and others. She said being kind doesn't mean letting people walk all over you, but rather, understanding each person's struggles in life and treating them with empathy. It's amazing how far a little compassion can go in enriching your relationships - something I'm witnessing firsthand as my kids navigate friendships at this crucial age!
It's true - compassion and kindness go a long way! Mum's the word on that. :)

Mums truly are the best advisors, aren't they? They seem to have all the answers, no matter the situation.
mums are a constant source of wisdom, and their advice usually spans generations too - what works in real life, in relation to emotions, is often universal and timeless.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
mums are a constant source of wisdom, and their advice usually spans generations too - what works in real life, in relation to emotions, is often universal and timeless.
You're right; it's fascinating how mum's advice tends to cut across generations. Their experiences and wisdom are often universal and stand the test of time. It's comforting to know that we have this wealth of knowledge to tap into!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
You're right; it's fascinating how mum's advice tends to cut across generations. Their experiences and wisdom are often universal and stand the test of time. It's comforting to know that we have this wealth of knowledge to tap into!
The comfort and security we feel as children often extend into adulthood, knowing our mums are a call away with some good old-fashioned advice.

As an adult, there's nothing more reassuring than knowing your mom is just a phone call away especially when you become a parent yourself and realize the depth of her wisdom! Her words of comfort and encouragement are often what make us feel like everything will eventually turn out okay.

So true - there's a certain comfort in knowing that our moms have already been where we're currently treading, and their advice comes from a place of experience and love. The reassurance that everything will work out as it should is comforting, especially on harder days. Their wisdom and perspective are invaluable!

Reactions: chickadee
That comfort and reassurance are what make a mom's advice so invaluable. Knowing they've likely faced similar situations gives their guidance so much credibility, making it easier to navigate life's challenges. Their experiences become our shield of assurance that everything will work out eventually. We're lucky to have them!

So very true! There's a certain comfort in knowing our moms have likely been through similar situations and can guide us with their experiences. Their wisdom and reassurance are precious gifts that help us navigate life confidently. We're blessed to have their invaluable advice and unwavering support.

So very true! There's a certain comfort in knowing our moms have likely been through similar situations and can guide us with their experiences. Their wisdom and reassurance are precious gifts that help us navigate life confidently. We're blessed to have their invaluable advice and unwavering support.
Their unwavering support is truly something we should cherish! It's amazing how our moms can always offer a fresh perspective, having been in our shoes at some point.

They are our biggest cheerleaders, offering unsolicited advice we often end up heeding. It's amazing how Moms seem to find the right answers to questions we didn't even ask! Their experiences lend us a fresh and needed perspective, wrapped in love and support. We're lucky indeed!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
They are our biggest cheerleaders, offering unsolicited advice we often end up heeding. It's amazing how Moms seem to find the right answers to questions we didn't even ask! Their experiences lend us a fresh and needed perspective, wrapped in love and support. We're lucky indeed!
Mums somehow know what to do and say even without us having to explain things. Their intuition is spot on!

• Love
Reactions: musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu