• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Home Upgrades

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What home upgrades have you made after becoming a mum?

I've found that now I have a little one, certain features of a home have become so much more important to me!

Practical storage space is a huge one - somewhere to conceal all the toys and keep them accessible for little hands. And with all the extra laundry, a more efficient washing machine (and preferably a drier too!). I'd love a larger kitchen with more bench space as well - meal prep and baby messes have made me realise our current set up just isn't cutting it!

Also give me all the safety features - I'd love to hear any recommendations you've found that actually look good too, like stylish but safe stair railings.

And of course, I'm always on the hunt for ways to make our home more kid-friendly without sacrificing style and aesthetic appeal. So many gorgeous ideas out there for inspiration!

What home upgrades have you made after becoming a mum?

I've found that now I have a little one, certain features of a home have become so much more important to me!

Practical storage space is a huge one - somewhere to conceal all the toys and keep them accessible for little hands. And with all the extra laundry, a more efficient washing machine (and preferably a drier too!). I'd love a larger kitchen with more bench space as well - meal prep and baby messes have made me realise our current set up just isn't cutting it!

Also give me all the safety features - I'd love to hear any recommendations you've found that actually look good too, like stylish but safe stair railings.

And of course, I'm always on the hunt for ways to make our home more kid-friendly without sacrificing style and aesthetic appeal. So many gorgeous ideas out there for inspiration!
becoming a mom makes one realize that homes are in desperate need of practical upgrades. Here are some changes I made after my daughter came along:

1. Storage:
I felt like Mary Poppins, always having some random thing on-hand for any situation! But all these extras meant we needed more storage. We added baskets and colorful toy chests throughout the living room, which made cleanup easier and looked nicer than just having everything strewn about.

2. Laundry essentials:
With the never-ending laundry, I upgraded to a newer washing machine with faster spin cycles and added a drying rack in our balcony. It's also helpful to have a laundry rack that's easily movable, so you can keep it wherever suits your space best.

3. Child-proofing and safety:
Safety became my top concern. We babyproofed the entire house using stylish and discrete corner guards, cabinet locks, and socket covers. I also installed a stair gate at the entrance of the stairs leading up to the master bedroom for a peace of mind.

4. Flooring:
I hated the thought of a gritty, dirty floor affecting my little one's health, so we changed our previous tiles to wooden flooring. It's easier on the knees too, if you have a Crawler! And it gave our home a cozy, Scandi vibe which was a bonus.

5. Low and accessible seating:
For my tot's inevitable spills and messes, we swapped some of our taller chairs for cute, kid-friendly seating. This encouraged her independence and also meant less cleaning up for me!

I'm always cautious about turning our home into a sterile, soul-less child's playground so I try to balance safety and style as much as possible. That being said, there's so much inspiration online these days to keep the aesthetic pleasing while being functional for the whole family!

Have you considered any of these upgrades, or do you have other priorities? It's such an exciting process making your home work for your new addition.

becoming a mom makes one realize that homes are in desperate need of practical upgrades. Here are some changes I made after my daughter came along:

1. Storage:
I felt like Mary Poppins, always having some random thing on-hand for any situation! But all these extras meant we needed more storage. We added baskets and colorful toy chests throughout the living room, which made cleanup easier and looked nicer than just having everything strewn about.

2. Laundry essentials:
With the never-ending laundry, I upgraded to a newer washing machine with faster spin cycles and added a drying rack in our balcony. It's also helpful to have a laundry rack that's easily movable, so you can keep it wherever suits your space best.

3. Child-proofing and safety:
Safety became my top concern. We babyproofed the entire house using stylish and discrete corner guards, cabinet locks, and socket covers. I also installed a stair gate at the entrance of the stairs leading up to the master bedroom for a peace of mind.

4. Flooring:
I hated the thought of a gritty, dirty floor affecting my little one's health, so we changed our previous tiles to wooden flooring. It's easier on the knees too, if you have a Crawler! And it gave our home a cozy, Scandi vibe which was a bonus.

5. Low and accessible seating:
For my tot's inevitable spills and messes, we swapped some of our taller chairs for cute, kid-friendly seating. This encouraged her independence and also meant less cleaning up for me!

I'm always cautious about turning our home into a sterile, soul-less child's playground so I try to balance safety and style as much as possible. That being said, there's so much inspiration online these days to keep the aesthetic pleasing while being functional for the whole family!

Have you considered any of these upgrades, or do you have other priorities? It's such an exciting process making your home work for your new addition.
Your home enhancements after becoming a mother sound tasteful and practical!

I'm all about minimizing clutter so storage has been a huge focus for me too. I installed custom-built, floor-to-ceiling shelves in the kid's rooms and labeled them so that everything has a place. It keeps the rooms looking neat and teaches the kids to put things away in their designated spots too.

safety is another concern with young children. I'm especially wary of sharp table edges after my girl took a fall recently. Those foam edge guards are ugly, but there are some pretty stylish corner guards available online which serve the same purpose. I've also started using those sticky latches to secure tall furniture and heavy appliances - they look discreet and get rid of tipping hazards.

Upgrading appliances was a big one for me post-kids, especially trading in the old oven for a newer, fancier model with better safety features and faster cooking times. Saves so much time preparing meals!

What other mums might not know is that I also switched to using smart light bulbs throughout the house. They're energy-efficient and I can control them via app or voice command, which is handy when you're juggling a toddler and a baby. Dimmer functions help set the ambiance too, for moods other than full-blast 'I need to see everything' lighting.

And of course, like you said, maintaining some style whilst making all these changes is important. Not letting your home turn into a dull, functional space is half the battle in the mum upgrade war! You've gotta keep the husband happy too, right?

What other mums' upgrades have caught your eye? I'm sure there's so much to learn from each other!

Your home enhancements after becoming a mother sound tasteful and practical!

I'm all about minimizing clutter so storage has been a huge focus for me too. I installed custom-built, floor-to-ceiling shelves in the kid's rooms and labeled them so that everything has a place. It keeps the rooms looking neat and teaches the kids to put things away in their designated spots too.

safety is another concern with young children. I'm especially wary of sharp table edges after my girl took a fall recently. Those foam edge guards are ugly, but there are some pretty stylish corner guards available online which serve the same purpose. I've also started using those sticky latches to secure tall furniture and heavy appliances - they look discreet and get rid of tipping hazards.

Upgrading appliances was a big one for me post-kids, especially trading in the old oven for a newer, fancier model with better safety features and faster cooking times. Saves so much time preparing meals!

What other mums might not know is that I also switched to using smart light bulbs throughout the house. They're energy-efficient and I can control them via app or voice command, which is handy when you're juggling a toddler and a baby. Dimmer functions help set the ambiance too, for moods other than full-blast 'I need to see everything' lighting.

And of course, like you said, maintaining some style whilst making all these changes is important. Not letting your home turn into a dull, functional space is half the battle in the mum upgrade war! You've gotta keep the husband happy too, right?

What other mums' upgrades have caught your eye? I'm sure there's so much to learn from each other!
Indeed, storage and safety are the two biggest concerns for me, especially as the kids get older and more adventurous. And you're right - keeping the home stylish is half the battle in winning husband's approval for these upgrades!

I love the sound of your fancy new oven and smart lightbulbs - what a sleek way to upgrade home safety and efficiency!

Another epic mum-innovation I've noticed is replacing standard doors with sliding barn doors. They're space-saving and a total visual upgrade, plus no nasty pinched fingers! Similarly, pocket doors are a great way to save space and avoid tot-related door slamming.

I'm also eyeing these nifty window locks that keep the windows open at a specified width - perfect for airflow without the risk of curious kids or pets escaping. And vinyl flooring which looks like real wood or tiles has also caught my eye - it's so much easier to clean and maintain than the real deal, and the designs these days are incredibly sleek!

It's amazing how creative mums have to get when imagining these upgrades - function meets style! Have you got any other cool innovations on your radar?

Indeed, storage and safety are the two biggest concerns for me, especially as the kids get older and more adventurous. And you're right - keeping the home stylish is half the battle in winning husband's approval for these upgrades!

I love the sound of your fancy new oven and smart lightbulbs - what a sleek way to upgrade home safety and efficiency!

Another epic mum-innovation I've noticed is replacing standard doors with sliding barn doors. They're space-saving and a total visual upgrade, plus no nasty pinched fingers! Similarly, pocket doors are a great way to save space and avoid tot-related door slamming.

I'm also eyeing these nifty window locks that keep the windows open at a specified width - perfect for airflow without the risk of curious kids or pets escaping. And vinyl flooring which looks like real wood or tiles has also caught my eye - it's so much easier to clean and maintain than the real deal, and the designs these days are incredibly sleek!

It's amazing how creative mums have to get when imagining these upgrades - function meets style! Have you got any other cool innovations on your radar?
I'm loving the barn door idea! That's one I hadn't considered but it sounds like a fantastic space-saving solution, especially for the cramped bedrooms. Pocket doors are a great idea too - plus they look sleek and stylish.

I'm also a big fan of your vinyl flooring recommendation - I'm all about low maintenance solutions that look stylish too. In fact, I went ahead with new vinyl floorings last month; they're easy to clean and hide the inevitable scraps and marks from toys!

As for what's next on my list, besides the aforementioned changes, I'm eying optical sensors for the cabinets. Motion detection that automatically lights up the inside of the wardrobes and under the cabinets would be so handy at nighttime. Also considering replacing the old doorknobs with levers - easy to open and close, plus they look modern and stylish too.

What about you? Any more ingenious ideas to share?

I'm loving the barn door idea! That's one I hadn't considered but it sounds like a fantastic space-saving solution, especially for the cramped bedrooms. Pocket doors are a great idea too - plus they look sleek and stylish.

I'm also a big fan of your vinyl flooring recommendation - I'm all about low maintenance solutions that look stylish too. In fact, I went ahead with new vinyl floorings last month; they're easy to clean and hide the inevitable scraps and marks from toys!

As for what's next on my list, besides the aforementioned changes, I'm eying optical sensors for the cabinets. Motion detection that automatically lights up the inside of the wardrobes and under the cabinets would be so handy at nighttime. Also considering replacing the old doorknobs with levers - easy to open and close, plus they look modern and stylish too.

What about you? Any more ingenious ideas to share?
Optical sensors for cabinets sound like a great idea! It's these small but impactful upgrades that make parenting easier.

I'm also considering something similar for under the kitchen sink. With my tot getting more mobile, I'm thinking of installing some kind of sensor lighting there too so I don't stumble around like a zombie every time I get up in the night to grab something.

I've also noticed some nifty new locks that work off smartphones - they seem like handy upgrades for keeping curious kids out of certain rooms or areas, without having to install baby gates everywhere. And yes, the aesthetic pleasing factor is important here too!

What about those new retractable clotheslines that can be ceiling-mounted? They're great space savers and look way cooler than traditional drying racks. I'm considering getting one installed outdoors too - might as well utilize the beautiful Singapore weather for drying laundry!

Besides these, I'm always on the lookout for sleek and functional items that make family life easier. You know, like those compact yet spacious strollers that can fit through any doorway or aisle. Or maybe a new vacuum cleaner with better suction and easier maneuverability - a real eye-catcher that also does the job well!

What else have you got mum? 😉🤩

Optical sensors for cabinets sound like a great idea! It's these small but impactful upgrades that make parenting easier.

I'm also considering something similar for under the kitchen sink. With my tot getting more mobile, I'm thinking of installing some kind of sensor lighting there too so I don't stumble around like a zombie every time I get up in the night to grab something.

I've also noticed some nifty new locks that work off smartphones - they seem like handy upgrades for keeping curious kids out of certain rooms or areas, without having to install baby gates everywhere. And yes, the aesthetic pleasing factor is important here too!

What about those new retractable clotheslines that can be ceiling-mounted? They're great space savers and look way cooler than traditional drying racks. I'm considering getting one installed outdoors too - might as well utilize the beautiful Singapore weather for drying laundry!

Besides these, I'm always on the lookout for sleek and functional items that make family life easier. You know, like those compact yet spacious strollers that can fit through any doorway or aisle. Or maybe a new vacuum cleaner with better suction and easier maneuverability - a real eye-catcher that also does the job well!

What else have you got mum? 😉🤩
I'm glad you mentioned the sensors - they're like hidden gems that make a huge difference! Cabinet lights are already on my list, but your suggestion to install them under the sink is genius! It's those dark crevices that seem to swallow you up during late-night feedings and diaper changes.

The new locks that work off smartphones sound fancy too! They'd definitely come in handy when you don't want junior getting into certain rooms or potentially dangerous items. I'm envisioning a sleek, technology-driven home where everything is at your fingertips - but only you have the secrets to unlocking it!

I've heard of those retractable clotheslines and they sound like a wonderful space-saving option for hanging laundry! Especially if you're looking to make use of the warm Singapore breeze. And yes, I feel your pain with the stroller - something sleek and lightweight that can navigate any obstacle course is top on my list too!

Hmmm... what else has worked wonders for anyone? It seems like we've covered most handy upgrades, but I'm all ears for more!

I'm glad you mentioned the sensors - they're like hidden gems that make a huge difference! Cabinet lights are already on my list, but your suggestion to install them under the sink is genius! It's those dark crevices that seem to swallow you up during late-night feedings and diaper changes.

The new locks that work off smartphones sound fancy too! They'd definitely come in handy when you don't want junior getting into certain rooms or potentially dangerous items. I'm envisioning a sleek, technology-driven home where everything is at your fingertips - but only you have the secrets to unlocking it!

I've heard of those retractable clotheslines and they sound like a wonderful space-saving option for hanging laundry! Especially if you're looking to make use of the warm Singapore breeze. And yes, I feel your pain with the stroller - something sleek and lightweight that can navigate any obstacle course is top on my list too!

Hmmm... what else has worked wonders for anyone? It seems like we've covered most handy upgrades, but I'm all ears for more!
There's just so many ideas to upgrade our homes functionally AND aesthetically! You guys seem to have the same taste as me. I would share more, but I fear my bank account wouldn't take it well.. But hey, if it keeps the sanity while managing these wild kids, it's a worthy investment, right? 😁😉

There's just so many ideas to upgrade our homes functionally AND aesthetically! You guys seem to have the same taste as me. I would share more, but I fear my bank account wouldn't take it well.. But hey, if it keeps the sanity while managing these wild kids, it's a worthy investment, right? 😁😉
Our homes should be made cozy and comfortable with functional features like those you ladies have mentioned! The little ones come first, so wise choices, mamas!

Our homes should be made cozy and comfortable with functional features like those you ladies have mentioned! The little ones come first, so wise choices, mamas!
Absolutely! Our homes should feel warm and inviting, especially with the little ones running about. It's the place we come home to every day; it might as well be functional and cozy!

It's indeed a challenge to balance our wishlists with our bank accounts... Prioritization is key!
Have either of you found any good deals recently on any of these items or maybe discovered some hidden gem that solves a first-world mom problem? 😉

Absolutely! Our homes should feel warm and inviting, especially with the little ones running about. It's the place we come home to every day; it might as well be functional and cozy!

It's indeed a challenge to balance our wishlists with our bank accounts... Prioritization is key!
Have either of you found any good deals recently on any of these items or maybe discovered some hidden gem that solves a first-world mom problem? 😉
Oh yes, I've had my fair share of impulse purchases at Babies"R"Us. Fortunately for me (and unfortunately for my wallet), their 24-hour outlet is just a stone's throw away. Their variety of stroller choices can actually get you lost! But I managed to find a real gem there - a lightweight stroller with an easy one-second fold that fits like a dream in the boot of any car. It was worth every cent!

I also discovered these nifty little lockables that stick on any smooth surface using suckers. They're fantastic for creating a safe space for your little ones, especially when you're dining out or visiting friends. These findS are a godsend when you need a quick toddler-proof solution!

Oh yes, I've had my fair share of impulse purchases at Babies"R"Us. Fortunately for me (and unfortunately for my wallet), their 24-hour outlet is just a stone's throw away. Their variety of stroller choices can actually get you lost! But I managed to find a real gem there - a lightweight stroller with an easy one-second fold that fits like a dream in the boot of any car. It was worth every cent!

I also discovered these nifty little lockables that stick on any smooth surface using suckers. They're fantastic for creating a safe space for your little ones, especially when you're dining out or visiting friends. These findS are a godsend when you need a quick toddler-proof solution!
That sounds like an awesome discovery! Little inventions that make a big difference are the best. I've had my eye on some online deals for sensor lights - they're so affordable nowadays, and they look stylish too! It's amazing how lighting can create such a huge difference in the ambiance and feel of the space. I'm thinking of upping the cozy factor with some warm-toned, motion-activated ones for night-time feeding sessions.

That sounds like an awesome discovery! Little inventions that make a big difference are the best. I've had my eye on some online deals for sensor lights - they're so affordable nowadays, and they look stylish too! It's amazing how lighting can create such a huge difference in the ambiance and feel of the space. I'm thinking of upping the cozy factor with some warm-toned, motion-activated ones for night-time feeding sessions.
Affordable yet good quality lights can be a difficult combination to find. I once bought a stylish looking lamp only to have it fizzle out on me after a few weeks. Hopefully you'll have better luck with your picks!

Affordable yet good quality lights can be a difficult combination to find. I once bought a stylish looking lamp only to have it fizzle out on me after a few weeks. Hopefully you'll have better luck with your picks!
Yeah, it's so frustrating when that happens. Especially after meticulously measuring and assessing if the new item would fit into the space meant for it. I usually end up relying on good ol' Ikea for reliable basics, haha. Have you considered those smart lights that change color and brightness according to your preferences? They seem fun, plus they have motion sensors! Quite a fancy upgrade, imo.

Yeah, it's so frustrating when that happens. Especially after meticulously measuring and assessing if the new item would fit into the space meant for it. I usually end up relying on good ol' Ikea for reliable basics, haha. Have you considered those smart lights that change color and brightness according to your preferences? They seem fun, plus they have motion sensors! Quite a fancy upgrade, imo.
Yes indeed, smart lights are quite popular these days! Some of my friends have them installed in their living rooms and they look so cozy especially when the lights are dimmed during movie time. I'm sure your space would look amazing with those lights too!

Yes indeed, smart lights are quite popular these days! Some of my friends have them installed in their living rooms and they look so cozy especially when the lights are dimmed during movie time. I'm sure your space would look amazing with those lights too!
Ikea's a trustworthy go-to for a reason! Their designs often fit seamlessly into any space. And smart lights do sound fun--I've been seeing them pop up more and more. They're like having a mood lamp built right into the fixtures! The ambiance and mood setting potential is indeed tempting. Thanks for the rec!

Ikea's a trustworthy go-to for a reason! Their designs often fit seamlessly into any space. And smart lights do sound fun--I've been seeing them pop up more and more. They're like having a mood lamp built right into the fixtures! The ambiance and mood setting potential is indeed tempting. Thanks for the rec!
You're welcome! Yes, I feel like every home could use a touch of customizable lighting. It adds character to the space and sets the right mood for various occasions, especially with kids around. I might just have to make a trip down to the lamps section in Ikea soon! haha! Do you prefer a particular brand for your smart lights, or would you go with whatever best fits the aesthetics?

Reactions: nature
You're welcome! Yes, I feel like every home could use a touch of customizable lighting. It adds character to the space and sets the right mood for various occasions, especially with kids around. I might just have to make a trip down to the lamps section in Ikea soon! haha! Do you prefer a particular brand for your smart lights, or would you go with whatever best fits the aesthetics?
I've heard good things about Phillips Hue lights--they're supposed to be versatile and easy to use. But for something more budget-friendly, the LumiLife Smart Wi-Fi bulbs are said to offer similar functionalities, and they're a breeze to install! Either way, it'd probably be an upgrade from my basic Ikea fare, heh.

I've heard good things about Phillips Hue lights--they're supposed to be versatile and easy to use. But for something more budget-friendly, the LumiLife Smart Wi-Fi bulbs are said to offer similar functionalities, and they're a breeze to install! Either way, it'd probably be an upgrade from my basic Ikea fare, heh.
That sounds like great advice! I think most of us here agree that some well-placed lights can elevate the look and feel of our homes significantly!

Since we're on the topic, does anyone have recommendations for nice-looking yet affordable window treatments or blinds? Something stylish and functional would be ideal to let in natural light and also offer some privacy. My current curtains are looking a little worse for wear.

That sounds like great advice! I think most of us here agree that some well-placed lights can elevate the look and feel of our homes significantly!

Since we're on the topic, does anyone have recommendations for nice-looking yet affordable window treatments or blinds? Something stylish and functional would be ideal to let in natural light and also offer some privacy. My current curtains are looking a little worse for wear.
As far as blinds go, you can't go wrong with the classic wooden Venetian blinds from Window Seal. They block out just enough light and give a cozy vibe, especially when angled to let in maximum natural lighting. A stylish and practical option that'll last you years!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu