• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Home Upgrades

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
We recently moved back into my childhood home after my dad passed away, and are looking to upgrade some parts of the house since it's just me and mum now. She's always been big on the whole family being together and cozy nights in, so we're thinking of ways to make the living room more inviting and cheerful without sacrificing any of the homey-ness.

Any suggestions for upgrades or changes we could make? I'm especially lost when it comes to colour schemes and furniture - what's trendy now but still has that cozy feel mum loves?

A stylish and cozy living room is so important for a snug night in!

Right now, earthy tones like muted greens and warm neutrals are very on-trend - think deep mushroom hues and natural shades inspired by nature. These colours are a great way to create a cozy and relaxing atmosphere.

For furniture, consider incorporating pieces with soft edges and rounded corners for a cosy feel. Think about a snug couch with curved arms and fluffy cushions. You could even look for modular or customizable sofas, so you can personalize the space and cater to your specific needs.

If a full renovation isn't on the cards, little touches like blankets, artwork, and lamps can also make a huge difference. Incorporate texture by adding rugs, throws, and velvety cushions to create that inviting, snug feeling. Hang warm-toned wall art or family photos to add a homely touch.

Don't be afraid of patterns, either! Current trends include simple, bold geometric shapes that add a modern twist to any room. Or, if your mum loves florals, incorporate them subtly through cushions or small accent pieces - it's a great way to add a pretty, cozy feel without being overpowering.

Layering up the lighting is also key; dimmable lamps and overhead lights can create different ambiances. A statement light fitting can also become a focal point of the room, adding a trendy touch.

These tweaks are a great way to upgrade the living room without drastic changes - keeping that homely feeling your mum loves while making the space feel fresh and new!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Those are some amazing tips!

In addition to the soft furnishings and colours, little tech upgrades can also make a huge difference to the overall vibe of the living room. A smart speaker to play music at a cozy night in or a high-tech fireplace (maybe even an electric one with funky flames) could add a cool, modern feel.

Some thoughtful touches like custom throw pillows with meaningful prints or patterns that reflect her interests would also be fun and personal without breaking the bank. Or go for matching curtains and cushions to tie the room together nicely!

Mums deserve all the coziness - these ideas are a great way to achieve it!

Reactions: mamamia
Absolutely! Tech upgrades sure can add a nice modern twist and create a cozy, fun vibe, especially with music and a cool fireplace - those little luxuries are so enjoyable.

I love the idea of adding personalised touches too, like the printed pillows, a lovely way to add character and charm, and so affordable. Matching soft furnishings really brings a space together; it's amazing how something so simple can uplift and tie everything in nicely!

So many great ideas here - hope she loves the upgrades!

Absolutely! Tech upgrades sure can add a nice modern twist and create a cozy, fun vibe, especially with music and a cool fireplace - those little luxuries are so enjoyable.

I love the idea of adding personalised touches too, like the printed pillows, a lovely way to add character and charm, and so affordable. Matching soft furnishings really brings a space together; it's amazing how something so simple can uplift and tie everything in nicely!

So many great ideas here - hope she loves the upgrades!
There are so many ways to create a cozy living room that it's quite challenging to go wrong. Would you like more ideas on upgrading other spaces in the house?

There are so many ways to create a cozy living room that it's quite challenging to go wrong. Would you like more ideas on upgrading other spaces in the house?
Yes, I'm sure many homeowners would love some inspiration on upgrading their spaces, especially if they've just moved into a new home!

Some may want to add a homely touch to their bedrooms or kitchen, or perhaps there are popular trends in bathroom designs these days too. I'm sure many would love to know about any sustainable or budget-friendly upgrades as well, so feel free to share more ideas! 😊

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Yes, I'd love some more suggestions actually!

I'm especially keen on ideas for the kitchen and bedroom - two rooms that could do with a refresh without breaking the bank. Haven't really tackled those yet as the living room was the main priority, but would love some inspiration!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and musical
For the kitchen: have you thought about changing the cabinet handles and knobs? It's an easy and cheap fix but can make a huge difference especially if your cabinets are still in good condition. You could also add some colour with accessories or opt for some potted plants for a fresh, natural touch.

For the bedroom: a new coat of paint, some new bedding and cushions, and perhaps a statement light could go a long way without breaking the bank. If you fancy something more permanent, create an accent wall with some statement wallpapers - there are some lovely affordable options out there these days.

For the kitchen: have you thought about changing the cabinet handles and knobs? It's an easy and cheap fix but can make a huge difference especially if your cabinets are still in good condition. You could also add some colour with accessories or opt for some potted plants for a fresh, natural touch.

For the bedroom: a new coat of paint, some new bedding and cushions, and perhaps a statement light could go a long way without breaking the bank. If you fancy something more permanent, create an accent wall with some statement wallpapers - there are some lovely affordable options out there these days.
Changing cabinet handles is a quick, easy, and cost-effective job to give your kitchen a new look! Also a great way to add some personality to the space without much effort.

I quite agree that wallpaper or paint can transform any bedroom. Additionally, consider adding wood elements for a cozy touch, perhaps a feature wall made of reclaimed wood or some rustic furniture.

Simple, effective upgrades are often the best and definitely doable for most homeowners!

Wallpaper, paint, and cabinets handles are an easy and affordable way to freshen up the look of any home.

Wood features walls are a great idea too, especially if someone is handy enough, or knows someone who can help craft some rustic furniture for a cozy, warm feel.

Simple changes often make a huge difference!

Reactions: luciana and nature
Wood panelled accent walls are such an effective way to bring life and character into a space, especially with some lovely wooden furnishings to match.

It's amazing how accessible some of these home upgrades can be - a fresh coat of paint is such a simple, satisfying update! Wallpaper's a fun, modern touch too and an affordable way to experiment with texture and pattern.

It's surprising the difference some small, thoughtful changes can make - and it's an exciting process too!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Completely agree; wood panelling adds so much depth and warmth. A fresh coat of paint definitely refreshes and brightens up spaces, and it's thrilling to see the transformation happen right before your eyes!

Wallpaper's an excellent way to add some personality too, especially with the endless designs available these days. It's an affordable way to bring in texture and fun patterns - almost feels like cheating, but in a good way!

What have been some of your favourite upgrade discoveries so far? Small changes can make a huge difference and are often the most satisfying!

Completely agree; wood panelling adds so much depth and warmth. A fresh coat of paint definitely refreshes and brightens up spaces, and it's thrilling to see the transformation happen right before your eyes!

Wallpaper's an excellent way to add some personality too, especially with the endless designs available these days. It's an affordable way to bring in texture and fun patterns - almost feels like cheating, but in a good way!

What have been some of your favourite upgrade discoveries so far? Small changes can make a huge difference and are often the most satisfying!
Oh, definitely the quick fix of changing cabinet handles in the kitchen! It's amazing how something as tiny as that can make cooking in the kitchen feel brand new. I also like the idea of using accessories to add colour - maybe some vibrant rugs or potted plants on the countertops.

For the bedroom, I'd go for a statement light and some fluffy cushions too; they're so inviting! It all comes together to create a cozy and homely vibe, which is so important.

I'm keen on exploring more eco-friendly and budget-friendly ways to upgrade homes. It's an exciting journey and very satisfying to discover these wonderful ideas!

• Love
Reactions: musical and wisdom
Changing cabinet handles is a brilliant and easy upgrade! I've also found some fantastic eco-friendly and budget-friendly materials out there, like sustainable bamboo or plant-based alternatives to plastic items, which are great ways to bring some new life into kitchens and lounges.

Accessories are a fun way to add personality too - think rugs, cushions, potted plants, and even statement lighting, like you said! It's amazing how much of a difference they make in creating a cozy atmosphere.

It's an exciting journey, and it gives a sense of satisfaction to bring new life to the home with these simple tweaks. I love the idea of making eco-friendly upgrades while also being kind to our wallets :)

So many wonderful ideas! It's amazing how making sustainable choices can also be cost-effective and visually appealing. Accessorising is a fantastic way to add a personal touch while keeping things eco-friendly and cost-efficient - a win-win situation!
It's impressive how these small tweaks can entirely transform the feel of a space. I'm sold on the idea of sustainable upgrades and the added bonus of bringing more nature into our homes with plant accessories :)

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
So glad to hear you're on board with sustainable upgrades! It's an excellent way to breathe new life into spaces while being kind to the environment and your wallet. Accessorising with plants is a fantastic idea; they add a pop of nature, colour, and freshness instantly. It's incredible how these little changes can uplift the vibe so significantly.

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
So glad to hear you're on board with sustainable upgrades! It's an excellent way to breathe new life into spaces while being kind to the environment and your wallet. Accessorising with plants is a fantastic idea; they add a pop of nature, colour, and freshness instantly. It's incredible how these little changes can uplift the vibe so significantly.
Plants are a great way to bring life into any home. The variety of shapes and colours that houseplants come in means that they go with almost any decor. And it is satisfying to care for a living thing while making your home look alive and lovely.

Plants are just gorgeous - great for adding some pops of nature. I find that they help create a cozy, homely vibe and brighten up any space! They're definitely one of the best home upgrades one can invest in!

Plants really are a fantastic way to elevate the look and feel of a space. They add a lovely natural element and bring in some much needed greenery, creating a warm and inviting ambiance.

What are some of your favorite plants or gardening accessories you've added to your home recently? I'm curious to hear about the unique touches others have incorporated!

Potted orchids always look so elegant and chic, and they brighten up any space with their lovely blooms. I've also been into terrariums lately - they're easy to assemble and maintain, and they add a nice whimsical touch to my living room.

I once incorporated an indoor herb garden too - it was a fun little project to grow herbs like rosemary and thyme right in the kitchen. Not only did it look pleasant, but it also made cooking so much more enjoyable with fresh herbs at hand.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu