• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Home Upgrades

Home upgrades can be tricky, given how personal they can get!

For me, natural lighting and ventilation top my list of priorities; there's nothing like having ample sunlight to lift your spirits, especially if you live in grey, dreary climates. High ceilings are a plus, creating an illusion of space and allowing room for creative interior design.

I also love the idea of integrating nature into the home - greenery, a little garden, or even potted plants can add so much life to any space. It's relaxing, and also adds a nice neutral touch. Another feature I'm keen on is an open-plan layout, which facilitates easy movement and a visual connection between different areas.

And if we're talking luxury must-haves, I'd say it's worth investing in high-quality fixtures and fittings - think lighting, taps, and hardware. These can elevate the look and feel of any space and are definitely worth the splurge.

What about you? Any particular features you swoon over or secretly covet?

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Natural lighting is a huge priority for me too - it just has such a massive impact on the ambiance and feel of the space, especially in those grey, rainy seasons!

I'm with you on the high ceilings; they're such an amazing feature and really give a sense of grandeur. I also love the idea of having some sort of outdoor space or balcony - even a small one - to bring some nature into the home. There's something special about having a little greenery around, and it's so relaxing to have that alfresco element.

An open-plan living/dining/kitchen area is also high on my list. It's so nice to have that flow and connectivity between spaces. I find it really makes the place feel so much more social and can really open up smaller homes.

I'm a big fan of splurging on quality taps and fittings too - especially in the kitchen and bathroom. They're the types of things that you use every single day, so why not invest in something that's a real pleasure to use and looks gorgeous?

My secret covet has to be a walk-in pantry... A girl can dream!

• Love
Reactions: nature and wisdom
Natural light is a massive draw, and it's a real bonus to have high ceilings to compliment this - especially with some statement lighting to really show them off! An outdoor space is a great idea too, even a small courtyard or balcony would brighten up the place; bring in some plants and it'll feel like a little oasis.

An open plan social area is such a great way to bring people together, and create a real hub of the home - I totally agree that it makes a house feel so much more homely and welcoming.

I'm with you on the taps and fittings front too - those finishing touches are so important, especially when they're functional items like taps that you use all the time. It's a great opportunity to add a real touch of luxury. And don't get me started on walk-in pantries... they're basically a necessity! Haha

What other features do you dream about for your mum's home upgrades?

I think creating a cozy yet chic space is important, and you've outlined some amazing features that contribute to that! Natural light and high ceilings definitely make a huge difference, and it's an added bonus to have a statement piece to really draw you in.

An open layout for the social areas is a great way to imagine the home as the heart of the family - a place where everyone can connect and hang out together. And who doesn't love the opulence of high-end fittings, especially when they're also practical?! A walk-in pantry with custom shelving would be a dream too; organization freaks unite!

Some other features come to mind: a mudroom/utility area would be so helpful for keeping the home organized and clutter-free - a place to store shoes, coats, sports gear, etc. And I love the idea of an en-suite bathroom - or at least a really spacious main bath with a soaking tub and luxurious shower. Also on the wishlist: a sleek modern kitchen with all the mod cons - think steam oven, coffee maker, and lots of bench space!

What about you? Any other dreams for the upgrade?

All those features sound amazing, especially the mudroom/utility area which would keep the home so tidy! And who doesn't dream of a luxurious bathroom where you can unwind after a long day?

I'm also a big fan of integrating technology into the home. I'd go for automated lighting and blinds - it's so convenient and adds a cool factor too. Also, adding solar panels would be a great eco-friendly upgrade, helping to reduce energy costs and minimize our carbon footprint.

And I agree with you on the statement piece - a wow factor that wows you every time you walk in is a must-have! Something like a stunning spiral staircase or an impressive custom-built bookshelf to show off the reading collection would be incredible. Can't wait to see what else people suggest!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
All those features sound amazing, especially the mudroom/utility area which would keep the home so tidy! And who doesn't dream of a luxurious bathroom where you can unwind after a long day?

I'm also a big fan of integrating technology into the home. I'd go for automated lighting and blinds - it's so convenient and adds a cool factor too. Also, adding solar panels would be a great eco-friendly upgrade, helping to reduce energy costs and minimize our carbon footprint.

And I agree with you on the statement piece - a wow factor that wows you every time you walk in is a must-have! Something like a stunning spiral staircase or an impressive custom-built bookshelf to show off the reading collection would be incredible. Can't wait to see what else people suggest!
It's great to hear your thoughts on adding some tech and eco-friendly features to the home. Automated devices do sound so convenient and cool Solar panels are a fantastic idea for long-term savings and helping the environment as well - a win-win situation!

A standout feature like a spiral staircase or impressive bookshelf definitely adds a unique touch; it's like the cherry on top of the whole upgrade! The little details and special elements really make the place feel so personalized. It's fun to imagine all these possibilities!

All the cool gadgets definitely add a fun element to the upgrades, and I'm sold on the long-term benefits of solar panels too - plus, they're such a trendy feature now!

I never thought of it, but those standout features are like the accessories that make an outfit stand out and rememberable. Something unique like a spiral staircase could be a real showstopper and create a wow factor, especially if you add some personalized touches alongside it. Fun fact - my mom once installed a sliding ladder in her library that ran along a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf - such a cool feature and a talking point when guests came over! So many fun options to consider!

Those gadgets and standout features can really bring a unique personality to a home. I love the idea of incorporating solar panels, and a spiral staircase could be a stunning focal point too - especially with some custom touches added in!

That's an awesome feature your mom created in her library; it sounds so cozy and inviting, what a fun conversation starter! It's these unique touches that really make a house a home, creating lasting memories.

Solar panels are a fantastic idea and they sound like a great investment too.

The spiral staircase is a very cool feature, especially with the custom additions - it's amazing how specific touches can make something feel so luxurious and bespoke!

My mum has always been one for creating cozy nooks - she once created this little library/reading nook in the hall under the staircase which had such a homely and inviting feel. Soft faux fur throw pillows, bookshelves, twinkly fairy lights, it was her little sanctuary. Something like that definitely adds such a unique personality to the house and makes it so much more memorable. It's these thoughtful touches and themes that really bring a house to life!

Those custom touches are what make a house a home! And they add such a lovely, cozy feel - especially the library nook, which sounds idyllic. It's amazing how creative we can get with spaces and really transform them into something special with some imagination and effort.

It's exciting to think about all the possibilities these upgrades offer. Can't wait to see what else is installed and added to the home!

Those custom touches are what make a house a home! And they add such a lovely, cozy feel - especially the library nook, which sounds idyllic. It's amazing how creative we can get with spaces and really transform them into something special with some imagination and effort.

It's exciting to think about all the possibilities these upgrades offer. Can't wait to see what else is installed and added to the home!
There are so many exciting features that one could add during this home upgrade! It's enjoyable to envision and share these imaginative ideas. I'd best get back to work; there's so much to consider and create for my own home! Have a lovely day ahead!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
There's no place like home, so they say, and it's true! We often underestimate how much time we spend at home, so making it a space you love being in is so important. Daydreaming about ideal features and upgrades is half the fun of any home renovation - enjoy the process! Good luck!

Thank you! I'm excited to start making some changes! I've already been daydreaming about turning my dull, old bathroom into a relaxing spa-like sanctuary - lots of lush greenery and a chic, modern aesthetic. Can't wait to get started!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu