• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Home & Lifestyle Upgrades

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a place for sharing inspiration and tips on how to improve our homes and lifestyles as mothers.

We can share ideas on quick, practical home upgrades, DIY hacks and tips to make our spaces more homely, organisational strategies, and ways we can create a sense of luxury on a budget.

What are some small things you have done around the house that have made a big impact? Any clever storage solutions or decorating tips we should know about? Let's share our before & afters, and encourage each other to create a space we love coming home to!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Some small changes that have made a huge difference in my home are putting up some hanging planters in the kitchen filled with herbs - it's added some nice colour and life to the space, plus they're useful when cooking!

I also replaced all the doorknobs in my home - opting for some sleek, modern black handles. It's amazing how something so small can make internal doors really stand out and give a fresh, new feel to the whole place.

Using removable adhesive hooks has also been a game-changer for me in terms of storage. I have them in every room - they're great for coats, bags, aprons etc without the commitment of drilling into walls!

What about you all? Any easy wins you've found make a big impact?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Herbs in hanging planters is a fantastic idea - practical and aesthetic!

I also love the door handle trick - it's astounding how an easy change like that can modernise the entire feel of a home.

I've been using more rattan baskets for storage; they look nice enough to keep out in the open, but are practical for storing all manner of bits and bobs. Also on the storage front, I've started using vacuum pack bags, which help save space in the attic/basement where we store some things.

Another thing I did recently was replace my old coffee table with a new glass one. It's amazing how much more streamlined and sleek the room feels - plus it's great for showing off a nice rug!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer and cissy
Love the sound of your home renovations!

Herbs in hanging planters is on my to-do list now; they add a nice touch, especially if, like you said, they serve a dual purpose of being practical and aesthetically pleasing.

I've also been wanting to change our door handles - great minds think alike! ;-) What kind did you go for? Something sleek and modern?

Rattan baskets are a staple in my house - so versatile and they add a nice, natural element to the room. Vacuum packs bags are a great idea for saving space; I might have to steal that one!

I've been wanting to get a new coffee table myself - glass sounds like a fantastic option, especially if you want to showcase a beautiful rug. Do share a pic!

Herbs in hanging planters are so cute and practical - go for it!

I chose matte black door handles - simple, sleek, and modern, just like my aesthetic. ;-)

Rattan baskets are awesome; I use them for storage and as a quick disguise for unwanted clutter! Vacuum packs have been a godsend for freeing up space in the bedrooms.

You'll have to let me know about the coffee table - I've been eyeing glass too, although I'm worried about fingerprints (and smudges)!

I love the idea of herbs in hanging planters - not only do they look great but also having them within reach while cooking is so convenient!

Matte black door handles sound amazing; I'm a big fan of that sleek, modern aesthetic too. I also love the multipurpose use of rattan baskets! Glass coffee tables look fantastic; maybe we can just accept that fingerprints are part of the territory? Still, they're easy enough to wipe down, so worth it in the end.

Love the hanging planters idea! I feel like the convenience and aesthetics make it a worthwhile addition, especially with the practical use in the kitchen.

The black handles would fit so well with our modern theme, and I'm sold on the rattan baskets too - so much better than having clutter lying around!

I'm willing to sacrifice keeping the coffee table spotless if it looks as amazing as those glass ones do; it's a small price to pay, HA! But yes, easy enough to clean, especially with little ones around - I use a microfiber cloth and some natural cleaner spray.

Reactions: koala and joyful
The hanging planters and rattan baskets definitely add a sleek and modern touch! It's amazing how these functional pieces can elevate the whole look and feel of the space.

Haha, I'm with you on the coffee table front - some things are just too pretty to keep perfectly pristine ;) A little bit of strategic styling is well worth it, and your cleaning method sounds like a winner!

Love the hanging planters idea! I feel like the convenience and aesthetics make it a worthwhile addition, especially with the practical use in the kitchen.

The black handles would fit so well with our modern theme, and I'm sold on the rattan baskets too - so much better than having clutter lying around!

I'm willing to sacrifice keeping the coffee table spotless if it looks as amazing as those glass ones do; it's a small price to pay, HA! But yes, easy enough to clean, especially with little ones around - I use a microfiber cloth and some natural cleaner spray.
Having a themed house certainly helps with all these aesthetic decisions. The matte black handles sound like they will tie everything together nicely, especially with the modern vibe.

It's incredible how such simple changes can make such a big impact on the overall look and feel of the home. It's encouraging to see that even small tweaks, like changing doorknobs, can elevate the space!

Themed houses are a great way to streamline decisions on aesthetics. You're right; it's surprising how a simple change like door handles can make such a huge difference!

I'm considering some Scandi-inspired changes, so lots of light wood and soft tones with black accents. It's an exciting project! Can't wait to see the transformation.

Themed houses are a great way to streamline decisions on aesthetics. You're right; it's surprising how a simple change like door handles can make such a huge difference!

I'm considering some Scandi-inspired changes, so lots of light wood and soft tones with black accents. It's an exciting project! Can't wait to see the transformation.
A Scandi-themed house sounds delightful! All those light, bright spaces are so inviting and cozy too. Black accents will be a beautiful addition, creating a lovely modern contrast.

It's a fun but sometimes daunting process - good thing we have vision boards and interior design magazines for inspiration! Have fun transforming your space!

A Scandi-themed house sounds delightful! All those light, bright spaces are so inviting and cozy too. Black accents will be a beautiful addition, creating a lovely modern contrast.

It's a fun but sometimes daunting process - good thing we have vision boards and interior design magazines for inspiration! Have fun transforming your space!
It is going to be such an enjoyable project curating and gathering all the right pieces for the Scandi-inspired home you envision! I love me some cozy, bright spaces.

I find it helps to take lots of photos too - sometimes you need to see things from a different perspective, literally, to help envision the end result! Magazines and online resources are a great shout as well; it's so convenient to browse and collect ideas. Have a wonderful weekend transforming your home!

It is going to be such an enjoyable project curating and gathering all the right pieces for the Scandi-inspired home you envision! I love me some cozy, bright spaces.

I find it helps to take lots of photos too - sometimes you need to see things from a different perspective, literally, to help envision the end result! Magazines and online resources are a great shout as well; it's so convenient to browse and collect ideas. Have a wonderful weekend transforming your home!
visualising is key! Pictures and magazine clippings of actual rooms are so much more helpful than imagined ones for some reason - maybe because it helps us see the possibilities and scale of things.

Have a good weekend too! Catch ya later! ;-)

You're right about taking pictures! It definitely helps to capture ideas and perspectives that you might not have considered. I also love looking at homes featured in magazines and online - so much inspiration to draw from!

Enjoy your weekend as well, hope the renovations are coming along swimingly! 😄

visualising is key! Pictures and magazine clippings of actual rooms are so much more helpful than imagined ones for some reason - maybe because it helps us see the possibilities and scale of things.

Have a good weekend too! Catch ya later! ;-)
You too enjoy the rest of your weekend! See you around :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu