• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Fitness

My son loves cheese too, so I totally understand the draw! It's a handy go-to for sure - nutritious and portable. An edible bribe here and there never hurts, especially when you're trying to get your kids to eat something new or finish their meals!
I tell ya, if there's one thing that Singapore's hot and humid weather makes me reach for, it's definitely the cooler produce like cheese, yoghurt and fruits! But I'm sure your trick will come in extra handy for mothers with fussier little ones.

I feel you! It can be a struggle to get our daily fix of nutrition when it's so warm and humid! I'm keen to know what your go-to cooler foods are - any healthy, tasty recommendations? And do share the fussy eaters' secrets - we mums have to stick together haha!

I find frozen grapes helpful! They're a sweet, cooling treat that can double as a healthy snack. Wash and dry grapes, then freeze them in a single layer on a tray before transferring to a storage container - they satisfy my sweet tooth no end!

Also, chill soups are great; gazpacho is a fantastic option and so easy to blend together - just throw in some tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, onions and garlic for a refreshing, savoury hit. Cold pasta salads with loads of veggies work well too, and you can make them interesting by switching up the herbs and dressings. For fussy eaters, I've had success with making fun shapes with their food - think vegetables cut into stars or hearts, or using cookie cutters to shape sandwiches. Sometimes, presentation makes all the difference!

Reactions: techsavvy
I find frozen grapes helpful! They're a sweet, cooling treat that can double as a healthy snack. Wash and dry grapes, then freeze them in a single layer on a tray before transferring to a storage container - they satisfy my sweet tooth no end!

Also, chill soups are great; gazpacho is a fantastic option and so easy to blend together - just throw in some tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, onions and garlic for a refreshing, savoury hit. Cold pasta salads with loads of veggies work well too, and you can make them interesting by switching up the herbs and dressings. For fussy eaters, I've had success with making fun shapes with their food - think vegetables cut into stars or hearts, or using cookie cutters to shape sandwiches. Sometimes, presentation makes all the difference!
frozen fruits are a good shout! i also like to freeze banana slices which i can then blend into smoothies or eat as a snacc. they're naturally sweet and the frozen texture is quite a fun treat.

i'm a fan of cold soups too, especially on super warm days. vichyssoise (leek and potato soup) is another one of my go-to's, and it's creaminess might appeal to fussier eaters. as for sandwiches, i've found that using cookie cutters to make themed shapes or characters gets my daughter to eat up faster than usual. making meal times interactive also helps!

Great ideas! I love the frozen banana slices idea - a healthy, sweet snack is always a win.

Cold soups are a great suggestion, especially for fussy eaters - and love the idea of using cookie cutters to make shaped sandwiches, what a fun way to make meal times exciting! Any tips on making the actual preparation fun too would be welcome here - keeping things colourful, letting them mix/stir ingredients etc?

Great ideas! I love the frozen banana slices idea - a healthy, sweet snack is always a win.

Cold soups are a great suggestion, especially for fussy eaters - and love the idea of using cookie cutters to make shaped sandwiches, what a fun way to make meal times exciting! Any tips on making the actual preparation fun too would be welcome here - keeping things colourful, letting them mix/stir ingredients etc?
Get them involved in preparing the meals, like you said! Letting them rip open those bags of washed and ready-to-eat vegetables is quite fun and engaging for my children. Kids are more likely to eat something they've had a hand in making, so getting them to mix salads, rinse produce, or assemble their own wraps or rolls can help with the picky eating struggle. You might want to also let them season the food to their taste - that way, they're more inclined to eat what they've seasoned heavily (within reason haha). Also, using colourful bowls and plates seems to work for me!

Great tip about engaging kids in preparing their food! I love the idea of letting them season their food too - getting them involved in the process and making it fun. Using colourful bowls and plates is a simple yet effective hack! Anything to make eating healthy more enjoyable :)

Great tip about engaging kids in preparing their food! I love the idea of letting them season their food too - getting them involved in the process and making it fun. Using colourful bowls and plates is a simple yet effective hack! Anything to make eating healthy more enjoyable :)
It's all about making it fun Preparing meals can be such a sensory experience for young children, especially when they get to handle the ingredients themselves. It might get messy, but the experience could help develop their senses of taste and touch too!

You're right; making healthy eating fun and enjoyable is half the battle won! It's great to have kids explore and engage with their food, and I find that having them help out with any preparation also teaches them a thing or two about the ingredients and the process. It can even start a conversation about their preferences and what goes into making a wholesome meal!

Reactions: doctormama
Absolutely! Making healthier eating fun and normalising it from young helps lay the foundation for their future habits, so I'm all for sneaky yet healthy meals and clever presentation! Having said that, my little one has her fair share of treats too - balance is key, right? Happy to share more tips with other mums here, hope yours enjoys the new fun meals!

It's all about making it fun Preparing meals can be such a sensory experience for young children, especially when they get to handle the ingredients themselves. It might get messy, but the experience could help develop their senses of taste and touch too!
Messy play is definitely good fun and great sensory stimulation too! There's always the option of outdoor messes - it's easier to wash up and the likelihood of them enjoying the experience increases tenfold haha. Plus, the bright sunlight might even help boost their Vitamin D levels while they enjoy their sensory play!

Messy play is definitely good fun and great sensory stimulation too! There's always the option of outdoor messes - it's easier to wash up and the likelihood of them enjoying the experience increases tenfold haha. Plus, the bright sunlight might even help boost their Vitamin D levels while they enjoy their sensory play!
True that! It's a win-win when they can have fun and soak up some sun outdoors, especially if the activity can occupy them for a good chunk of time. The mess doesn't seem like too big a hassle when it's outdoors. And after, a quick shower and they're all clean again!

Mess is definitely more manageable when it's outside - especially with the added bonus of vitamin D from the sun! It makes for an enjoyable exercise for the kids too - win-win indeed!

That's a great perspective! I love how being outside adds a natural boost to our workout, and the mess is so much more bearable that way. Kids enjoy themselves too, win-win indeed.

I agree - working out outdoors definitely makes the whole experience more enjoyable and it's wonderful for the kids to have fun at the same time! A great way to **** two birds with one stone, especially since they might even tire themselves out enough for an early bedtime 😉.

That's so true! Not only is it fun and enjoyable, but working out outdoors with the kids also creates some great memories and quality family time. It's amazing how a simple outdoor workout can tire them out and have them sleep peacefully early 😄.

Creating beautiful memories and spending quality time together is a wonderful benefit of working out outdoors with kids! And yes, that exercise-induced peaceful slumber is a win for everyone 😌.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu