• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Fitness Secrets

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Working out as a mum can sometimes feel impossible to fit into our busy schedules, but it's so important for our mental and physical health! I wanted to create a space to share our favourite ways to stay active and healthy, and any tips to fit fitness into family life.

I'll go first! As a busy mum of two, my secret is doubling up workouts - taking the kids to the park means I can sneak in some squats as they play, and when the weather's nice we do 'family runs' where we take the jogger out for a few km. Having workout gear that's comfortable also makes me more inclined to get moving.

What are your go-to ways to stay fit, mums?

I like the sneaky squats idea! I also take every opportunity to walk - walking the kids to school, doing an extra loop of the block when picking up groceries, and walking while talking on the phone are my favourites. Having a pedometer app on my phone encourages me, too.

My other trick is to tell the kids it's 'workout time' - like a game - and then do some quick HIIT exercises - burpees, jumping jacks, you name it, for 15 minutes while they join in. Keeps them entertained and me active! I find the short, sharp burst of a timer helps me push through.

Also, signing up for a fun run or two each year keeps me on track. Having that goal has kept me committed to a regular running schedule a few times now!

• Love
Reactions: musical
I like the sneaky squats idea! I also take every opportunity to walk - walking the kids to school, doing an extra loop of the block when picking up groceries, and walking while talking on the phone are my favourites. Having a pedometer app on my phone encourages me, too.

My other trick is to tell the kids it's 'workout time' - like a game - and then do some quick HIIT exercises - burpees, jumping jacks, you name it, for 15 minutes while they join in. Keeps them entertained and me active! I find the short, sharp burst of a timer helps me push through.

Also, signing up for a fun run or two each year keeps me on track. Having that goal has kept me committed to a regular running schedule a few times now!
Good one! Having an event goal definitely keeps motivation high. And it's a great idea to make exercise a family affair; the kids will enjoy the attention and physical play, and we mums get our workout in. Win-win!

I've also heard good things about those home workout challenges that have been circulating online, like the 30-day squat or plank challenges. Might be worth a shot for us mums who need some variety and structure in our workouts!

Event goals are a great idea - gives us something to work towards and keeps us on track! I've found those online workout challenges to be really fun too, especially when you get a group of mums doing them together. There's some real variety and they're short enough that it doesn't feel daunting, but the results start showing pretty quickly which is encouraging! Keep us posted if you try any, would love to hear how you go.

Reactions: travelmum
Online workout challenges are engaging and fun, especially with a supportive group of mums. I like how the variety keeps things interesting and the short, focused nature means progress feels achievable. The quick results can be really motivating too! Will definitely keep an eye out for future challenges - thanks for the tip!

Reactions: cissy
Online workout challenges are engaging and fun, especially with a supportive group of mums. I like how the variety keeps things interesting and the short, focused nature means progress feels achievable. The quick results can be really motivating too! Will definitely keep an eye out for future challenges - thanks for the tip!
Different fitness apps and their short, targeted workouts are my favourite finds of late. They help mix up my workout routine and fit exercise into those tiny pockets of free time I find throughout the day.

Different fitness apps and their short, targeted workouts are my favourite finds of late. They help mix up my workout routine and fit exercise into those tiny pockets of free time I find throughout the day.
That's cool that you have found a way to make fitness apps work for you. Do you have any recommendations or particular favourites? I've dabbled with a few, but it can be overwhelming to navigate the vast choices out there! Also, do you find these apps help you stay consistent?

I've found that the key to finding an app that works is actually taking some time to figure out your specific goals. There are so many out there that promise quick results, but if you can define what you want - whether it's weight loss, muscle gain or just overall health improvement - then you can pinpoint apps that deliver on those promises.

I also think finding an app with a good community aspect really helps with consistency. Having a virtual tribe keeps me accountable and I feel more committed because it's not just about me - there's a whole group of us encouraging each other. Competition is also motivating!

I've had success with the JEFIT app - it's got great workout plans that are easy to follow and the community aspect keeps me going. Also, it's free which is a big bonus! But I'd recommend doing some digging and researching what might work best for you; there are so many options out there it's just about finding the right fit.

I've found that the key to finding an app that works is actually taking some time to figure out your specific goals. There are so many out there that promise quick results, but if you can define what you want - whether it's weight loss, muscle gain or just overall health improvement - then you can pinpoint apps that deliver on those promises.

I also think finding an app with a good community aspect really helps with consistency. Having a virtual tribe keeps me accountable and I feel more committed because it's not just about me - there's a whole group of us encouraging each other. Competition is also motivating!

I've had success with the JEFIT app - it's got great workout plans that are easy to follow and the community aspect keeps me going. Also, it's free which is a big bonus! But I'd recommend doing some digging and researching what might work best for you; there are so many options out there it's just about finding the right fit.
Thanks so much for sharing - that makes a lot of sense! Defining clear goals is such great advice - will definitely help us stay focused. Agreed that having an online community of supporters makes a huge difference in staying committed to the long haul; having 'virtual workout buddies' sounds motivating and fun. JEFIT looks like a fantastic find, I appreciate you sharing it - free and efficient, can't beat that! It's going on my list to try. Do share any other gems you discover; always keen to know more!

Great to hear you found some value in the goal setting advice - it really is a powerful technique. Agreed on the online community, having that sense of belonging and accountability really helps keeps us on track. JEFIT is pretty awesome, I've had some success with it for sure.

I also like to recommend FitOn; it's another free app with a wide range of workouts that I've used. It has a nice mix of short and longer sessions across cardio, strength and yoga, plus some really tasty looking recipes too. Their Instagram is also pretty inspiring, which is a nice added bonus!

Always on the lookout for more gems myself, so will be keen to hear what others recommend too!

Thanks for the FitOn recommendation - I'll check it out! Always good to have another tool in the kit. Agreed, it's the variety in apps that keeps things interesting. I've been using a combo of JEFIT and Nike Training Club for a while now but am always on the lookout for new ideas. Would be interested to hear what others use too!

Thanks for the FitOn recommendation - I'll check it out! Always good to have another tool in the kit. Agreed, it's the variety in apps that keeps things interesting. I've been using a combo of JEFIT and Nike Training Club for a while now but am always on the lookout for new ideas. Would be interested to hear what others use too!
There's only so much one can do with the free apps, especially after they start feeling repetitive. Have you considered joining classes or paying for a subscription to an app that suits your goals? Money puts things into perspective and sometimes, it takes that kind of commitment to keep us on track. I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with these and whether they'd recommend going premium.

I've used paid fitness apps on and off, and the key word is commitment. Once you've made the financial investment, it's a great incentive to stick with it - especially if you're paying for something pricey!

I liked the variety of workout routines I found on the platform and being able to switch things up often kept me interested. The real winner was the personalized plans some of these apps offer - after inputting my goals and fitness level, the recommended routines were engaging and effective. I noticed significant changes in my body and felt so much healthier.

The only downside, as you mentioned, is that some apps can get expensive, and it becomes tricky to continue long-term. I eventually had to cancel my subscription during a tight month and haven't gotten around to resubscribing since. But while it lasted, it was money well spent!

What kinds of workouts are you interested in? Maybe we can crowdsource some recommendations...

I've used paid fitness apps on and off, and the key word is commitment. Once you've made the financial investment, it's a great incentive to stick with it - especially if you're paying for something pricey!

I liked the variety of workout routines I found on the platform and being able to switch things up often kept me interested. The real winner was the personalized plans some of these apps offer - after inputting my goals and fitness level, the recommended routines were engaging and effective. I noticed significant changes in my body and felt so much healthier.

The only downside, as you mentioned, is that some apps can get expensive, and it becomes tricky to continue long-term. I eventually had to cancel my subscription during a tight month and haven't gotten around to resubscribing since. But while it lasted, it was money well spent!

What kinds of workouts are you interested in? Maybe we can crowdsource some recommendations...
Workout apps that offer personalised plans based on our needs and fitness levels sound appealing. Significant changes and health improvements resulting from these subscriptions certainly make a strong case!

I've been enjoying HIIT and interval training recently, so anything with a good mix of those would be fantastic. I also love yoga and Pilates, so throw in some mind-body workouts and I'd be keen to give it a go!

I'm glad you asked! A great app that comes to mind offers personalised plans tailored to your fitness goals, and it also includes yoga and Pilates sessions.

The beauty of this app is its variety: from HIIT and interval training to dance and martial arts-inspired sessions. The workouts are short and effective, making them ideal for busy mums like us who want a good workout without sacrificing time.

It also features a convenient filter system that lets you pick according to equipment availability, workout type and duration, and intensity level. There's even a postnatal workout category for new mums looking to get back into shape safely.

I think it ticks all your boxes! Give it a go and let me know your thoughts.

I'm glad you asked! A great app that comes to mind offers personalised plans tailored to your fitness goals, and it also includes yoga and Pilates sessions.

The beauty of this app is its variety: from HIIT and interval training to dance and martial arts-inspired sessions. The workouts are short and effective, making them ideal for busy mums like us who want a good workout without sacrificing time.

It also features a convenient filter system that lets you pick according to equipment availability, workout type and duration, and intensity level. There's even a postnatal workout category for new mums looking to get back into shape safely.

I think it ticks all your boxes! Give it a go and let me know your thoughts.
Wow, that sounds like exactly what I need; variety, personalised plans and convenience! The ability to cater to our needs post-partum is especially nice since it can be difficult for new mums to navigate exercise then. You've sold it to me, I'll download it now and let you know how it goes!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Wow, that sounds like exactly what I need; variety, personalised plans and convenience! The ability to cater to our needs post-partum is especially nice since it can be difficult for new mums to navigate exercise then. You've sold it to me, I'll download it now and let you know how it goes!
I hope you'll love it as much as I do! Keep us updated - it's always encouraging to hear of others' experiences with these apps.

hearing about your positive experience with these fitness apps has been super-encouraging, especially because I'm always on the lookout for ways to stay motivated and stick to a routine! Can't wait to dive into the workout plans and healthy recipes - will definitely keep you posted on my progress!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and nature
It's great hearing how beneficial these apps have been for your fitness journey, and it's an added bonus knowing there's a whole wealth of healthy recipes to explore too - super motivating! Would love to hear about your progress, especially finding out what tasty treats you've discovered along the way!

It's great hearing how beneficial these apps have been for your fitness journey, and it's an added bonus knowing there's a whole wealth of healthy recipes to explore too - super motivating! Would love to hear about your progress, especially finding out what tasty treats you've discovered along the way!
You bet! Although I must warn you, I'm no chef. In fact, I'd say my cooking skills are somewhat novice at best. But that's the beauty of these apps - even with my limited capabilities in the kitchen, I'm still able to whip up delicious meals because the recipes are easy to follow and don't require fancy ingredients or advanced culinary techniques.

Some of my go-tos lately have been smoothie bowls, which are a breeze to prepare and a colorful delight! I've also been experimenting with vegetable spiralizing to replace noodles, and it's been a fun way to add some excitement to meal times. My family's been enjoying these changes too, so it's been a win all around.

With these fitness apps, discovering new recipes has made healthier eating far more enjoyable and sustainable. I no longer see it as a chore or a rigid diet but a delicious adventure! Here's to embracing the yummy, nutritious treats out there! 😋

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu