• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum Help

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I've recently started weaning my toddler from their overnight bottle and have been using a lovey as a comfort object for them before bed when they can still have water if needed. I'm now feeling guilty about taking it away from them when they're clearly attached to it, but also worried about the impact on sleep (we're waking 3-4 times per night at the moment). Has anyone else been in this situation with an older child? How did you manage or what advice would you have?

Our youngest is about to turn four and we've recently made our last big lovey switch .

I think the key thing for us has been being consistent and predictable with the lovey usage. Our girl knows when she can take her blanket/bunny with her into bed but also that it needs to stay there during the night.

Around the same age, our eldest would get really anxious without his comfort object , so we came up with a plan for him to put it on his shoulder or hold it in one hand for reassurance. This worked out okay and eventually he lost interest in carrying his special toy around, which in hindsight made the eventual goodbye much smoother.

The first time you try to move towards the 'no lovey' approach might be rocky but have faith that your child will develop new strategies if you're consistent and gentle. In this instance, we've been using an 'in with you - out on the bed' method . This means our youngest has learned that when her special rabbit goes in with her at bedtime, it comes back to its designated home overnight which she's grown comfortable with.

We used a similar system when moving from a blanket to the rabbit and it did make nights slightly less chaotic. Our youngest does now get thirsty sometimes during sleep so we've just got into bringing a glass of water to bed if that happens now.

Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu