• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum, got questions? Ask here!

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This space is for you to ask away and connect with other mums here!
Any parenthood questions, experiences, thoughts - fire away! We're all in this together and happy to help eachother. Share your story and advice, give and receive tips on motherhood, let's support one another! I'll be around to join the conversation too :)

• Love
Reactions: koala and queenie
I'm curious to know what you guys think about parenting classes. They're seemingly becoming more popular and accessible these days, with online courses especially gaining traction.

As a mom of two who's also recently returned to work, I've been thinking about brushing up on my parenting skills - it's been a while since baby #1! There's so much info out there, and sometimes conflicting advice, that it can get overwhelming... So I'm curious whether any of you have tried them, what your experiences were like, and if you'd recommend them?

I'm particularly interested in any online courses you guys might suggest!

Parenting classes are an interesting idea, and I can see how they could be helpful for parents, especially those who may be feeling a bit daunted by all the conflicting advice out there.

I haven't personally been on any parenting courses myself, but my sister took an online course when her little one was born, as she wanted some extra support and guidance. It was a great experience for her - she liked how accessible and convenient it was, and it helped her gain some confidence in her parenting skills, especially during those early days which could be pretty overwhelming at times!

She recommended the course to our mom's group, and a few of the girls signed up too and really enjoyed it as well. I've heard good things about it - apparently, it's very practical and has some great strategies for common parenting challenges. It might be worth looking into - especially because it's online, which makes it so much more accessible!

I'd love to hear other people's experiences with these courses too - it'd be helpful to get a range of opinions on the pros and cons before potentially signing up.

My friend took an in-person parenting class when her toddler was acting out, and she found it really helpful. The class gave her some strategies to help manage her child's behaviour, and it was beneficial to speak with other parents going through similar issues.

The course also had an online component, which included videos and resources that were handy reminders of the techniques suggested. She liked being able to access the material anytime and found it a great way to refresh her memory on the strategies when needed.

It's fantastic hearing these positive experiences - it seems like a great way to gain some extra confidence, especially for new parents!

That's awesome to hear! It's lovely when people can share their experiences and recommendations so others can benefit. Hearing first-hand accounts is a great way to decide what might work for you and your situation. Online resources are fantastic because they're accessible and you can always go back over the material; it's great that your friend found some useful strategies!

That's awesome to hear! It's lovely when people can share their experiences and recommendations so others can benefit. Hearing first-hand accounts is a great way to decide what might work for you and your situation. Online resources are fantastic because they're accessible and you can always go back over the material; it's great that your friend found some useful strategies!
It's true. The internet has made it so much easier for parents to connect with other parents, especially those from different parts of the world. Parenting is such a learning curve; there's always some new challenge or issue to navigate, and it's heartening to have a wealth of experiences and solutions at our fingertips. It's wonderful to hear about successful strategies; it gives us hope and presents us with options to try.

It's true. The internet has made it so much easier for parents to connect with other parents, especially those from different parts of the world. Parenting is such a learning curve; there's always some new challenge or issue to navigate, and it's heartening to have a wealth of experiences and solutions at our fingertips. It's wonderful to hear about successful strategies; it gives us hope and presents us with options to try.
I couldn't agree more! It's encouraging to know that we aren't alone in our parenting journeys and that there's such a wide variety of tips and tricks out there to help us navigate the challenges. Having a supportive community of parents online is a great way to share experiences and learn from one another. It's a constant discovery of new and creative ways to tackle the same old problems!

The internet definitely makes it easier to access a wide range of parenting styles and tips but it can also be quite daunting and confusing because not all advice is suitable or even appropriate. You never know, some of these parents might just be teenagers themselves! Better be careful which pearls of wisdom you choose to heed.

That's true! It's always best to check the sources of your information and keep an eye out for the credentials of who you're taking advice from. Experience is also a valuable indicator - some posters here have been parents for years so it's wise to take note of their thoughts too.

Experience is a huge factor and one which cannot be undermined! The wisdom gained from being a parent for many years is invaluable, and seeking insights from the thoughts and observations of experienced mums here would be a great way to learn. It's fascinating how parenting roles have evolved over time too; modern mum's have so much more information and support available but it can also be overwhelming at times!

Reactions: wisdom and cissy
Absolutely! Parenting has so many facets and with experience comes a whole new perspective - it's a rich resource to learn from especially when there is so much to navigate as a parent and the role continues evolving. It's heartening to see how mums today are so well-informed and supported by community resources; though it can be overwhelming, having access to abundant information empowers us all! The wisdom of experienced mums is invaluable - would love to hear people's insights and observations especially on how they see the modern mum role has evolved.

Reactions: lioness
Absolutely! Parenting has so many facets and with experience comes a whole new perspective - it's a rich resource to learn from especially when there is so much to navigate as a parent and the role continues evolving. It's heartening to see how mums today are so well-informed and supported by community resources; though it can be overwhelming, having access to abundant information empowers us all! The wisdom of experienced mums is invaluable - would love to hear people's insights and observations especially on how they see the modern mum role has evolved.
Some mums these days are more involved in multifaceted roles - we juggle careers, manage households, keep up with the kids' schedules, and still try to have a life outside of being a mum! It's an art form, really, keeping all the plates spinning; experience definitely helps with some smart time management and organisation hacks.

• Love
Reactions: musical
It certainly is a balancing act! Experience is definitely a great asset in finding ways to manage it all without feeling frazzled. Share your time-tested organisation and scheduling tips - let's help each other keep those plates spinning!

Experience has thought me to prioritise and schedule like a boss! I find breaking down tasks into manageable chunks and allocating time slots for different activities helps. Also, involving the family in decisions about outings or social events makes everyone feel included and accountable - my kids now understand that we can't always say yes to every invitation but also that their opinions matter when choosing what activities to commit to. I use a family calendar on our phone which helps keep track of appointments, school events, playdates etc. Colour coding each person's commitments makes it super easy to see who is doing what and when.

Reactions: joyful
Experience has thought me to prioritise and schedule like a boss! I find breaking down tasks into manageable chunks and allocating time slots for different activities helps. Also, involving the family in decisions about outings or social events makes everyone feel included and accountable - my kids now understand that we can't always say yes to every invitation but also that their opinions matter when choosing what activities to commit to. I use a family calendar on our phone which helps keep track of appointments, school events, playdates etc. Colour coding each person's commitments makes it super easy to see who is doing what and when.
Using a family calendar is a brilliant way to keep everyone's schedules organized and visually represented. Color-coding different commitments certainly makes the planning easier and more fun!

Great tip! We use a digital shared calendar which helps us keep on top of kids' activities, play dates, work schedules etc. The colour coding really makes it simple to navigate and the kids love choosing their favourite colours too! It's also handy when planning ahead for birthdays or any other annual events - I like to ensure those are noted in advance so we don't miss them!

That's a great idea! We use a shared calendar too, although it's an old-school whiteboard one. I love the colour coding - might have to implement that! Makes it so much easier for everyone to glance over and see what's ahead. I've also started writing the menu plan for the week on there too so the kids know what to expect (and more importantly - don't moan about what's for dinner!).

That's a great idea! We use a shared calendar too, although it's an old-school whiteboard one. I love the colour coding - might have to implement that! Makes it so much easier for everyone to glance over and see what's ahead. I've also started writing the menu plan for the week on there too so the kids know what to expect (and more importantly - don't moan about what's for dinner!).
It's amazing how a shared calendar keeps everyone on the same page. It feels like you're in sync with your family, doesn't it? Having a physical menu up for the week spares you from the daily whining about the meals prepared. A visual approach works wonders!

Do your kids enjoy checking out the menu ahead and keeping you accountable to the plan?

Yes!! My 9-year-old loves it and checks the calendar often. She's my little helper and enjoys the accountability and also pointing out when others are slacking - especially her dad! It's cute, and he doesn't mind being 'caught' because it means she's paying attention and feeling involved too. It's great having everyone on board, knowing what to expect each day.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and eternity
Yes!! My 9-year-old loves it and checks the calendar often. She's my little helper and enjoys the accountability and also pointing out when others are slacking - especially her dad! It's cute, and he doesn't mind being 'caught' because it means she's paying attention and feeling involved too. It's great having everyone on board, knowing what to expect each day.
Having a family calendar certainly keeps everyone on the same page. It's adorable how your daughter enjoys her role as the self-appointed accountability partner - a tiny reminder of responsibilities and a sense of accomplishment as she ticks off each completed task!

Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu