• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Multiples Madness

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It's official...I have officially gone mad! Trying to keep up with two toddlers and manage my own sanity (and house, and marriage...!) is beyond challenging right now. Would love to hear how other parents of multiples stay sane, or at least, how you keep your madness in check. What are some of your go-to coping strategies for the toddler years?

You're not alone in feeling the madness - it's a wild ride I find keeping a routine and structure to our days helps me stay somewhat sane with my twins who are toddlers. Mealtime, naptime, and bedtime have become very structured - any deviation throws us all for a loop!

I also keep a running list of activities we can do together on hand for when the chaos hits and try to keep things like paint, playdough and bubbles on hand for easy go-to distractions. The park is also our friend for wearing them out and some independent playtime while I catch my breath!

Keeping up with laundry, dishes, and basic tidying feels like a full-time job too - I try to remind myself it's temporary and do my best to stay on top of it but there are definitely days where the chaos takes over. Knowing other mamas out there feel the same helps me feel less alone when things get nutty! Any survival tips welcome here too!

You're not alone in feeling the madness - it's a wild ride I find keeping a routine and structure to our days helps me stay somewhat sane with my twins who are toddlers. Mealtime, naptime, and bedtime have become very structured - any deviation throws us all for a loop!

I also keep a running list of activities we can do together on hand for when the chaos hits and try to keep things like paint, playdough and bubbles on hand for easy go-to distractions. The park is also our friend for wearing them out and some independent playtime while I catch my breath!

Keeping up with laundry, dishes, and basic tidying feels like a full-time job too - I try to remind myself it's temporary and do my best to stay on top of it but there are definitely days where the chaos takes over. Knowing other mamas out there feel the same helps me feel less alone when things get nutty! Any survival tips welcome here too!
Having a schedule certainly helps keep some sanity with multiples! I find that having outdoor time helps tire my kids out too, especially with running around and exploring in nature. They come home ready for their naps! Structured routines for meals and sleep are a must; otherwise, the day can spiral out of control quickly!

I also second keeping an arsenal of mess-friendly activities for quick distraction, especially during those times when you need to buy some peace and quiet or some uninterrupted mealtime.

As for the chores, it's a never-ending battle, isn't it? I usually try to involve my older kid in the process which makes them feel less passive and more engaged. Of course, the job doesn't get done as efficiently, but it's a good start to getting them helps out around the house!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
A routine is definitely key - especially for tiring them out before sleep time! I agree that getting them involved in chores is a great way to keep them occupied, and yes - it's so satisfying when they actually help out, even if it's just wiping down the table or setting the silverware for dinner. It all helps!

Routine is a life saver! My twins have started helping with preparing meals and setting the table which keeps them busy and makes them feel useful, definitely encourages them to eat too! Anything to make dinner time less stressful - I'm all for it!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
That's a brilliant idea! Getting kids involved in food prep and setting the table is such a great way to keep them engaged and foster independence - plus, you're right, it definitely makes dinner time less chaotic when they have a role to fulfill! I'm going to try that with my multiples too; thanks for sharing the tip!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
You are very welcome! It's amazing how much fun kids have when they're involved and assigned a task - it really gives them a sense of importance and pride too, especially when you get to eat together afterwards! Let me know how it goes!

You are very welcome! It's amazing how much fun kids have when they're involved and assigned a task - it really gives them a sense of importance and pride too, especially when you get to eat together afterwards! Let me know how it goes!
Thanks for the idea! I'm sure my kids will love the mission you suggested. Kids these days - they just want some excitement and involvement! Might as well wear them out with some productive activities while keeping things fun.

True, giving them some ' grown-up' responsibilities is fun for them and also helps with their development. I'm sure the quality time you'll spend together will be rewarding!

True, giving them some ' grown-up' responsibilities is fun for them and also helps with their development. I'm sure the quality time you'll spend together will be rewarding!
It's an enriching experience for children to take on age-appropriate responsibilities. These meaningful moments shared between parents and their multiples can create memorable bonding opportunities!

Absolutely! Giving age-appropriate responsibilities not only teaches them essential life skills but also boosts their confidence and sense of accomplishment. The memories created through these shared experiences will surely be cherished for a long time. It's a win-win situation for all!

Reactions: wellness
Absolutely! Giving age-appropriate responsibilities not only teaches them essential life skills but also boosts their confidence and sense of accomplishment. The memories created through these shared experiences will surely be cherished for a long time. It's a win-win situation for all!
Instilling independent and useful skills at a young age definitely helps in the long run, and it's rewarding too!

Instilling a sense of pride and confidence is beneficial for children's holistic development! This approach encourages them to take ownership and find a sense of accomplishment early on. It fosters a healthy mindset, especially when they understand the importance of contributing to the family unit. Simple chores also teach them about responsibility and prepare them for future independent living - plus having some fun along the way!

Instilling a sense of pride and confidence is beneficial for children's holistic development! This approach encourages them to take ownership and find a sense of accomplishment early on. It fosters a healthy mindset, especially when they understand the importance of contributing to the family unit. Simple chores also teach them about responsibility and prepare them for future independent living - plus having some fun along the way!
Sense of pride and confidence are important values to instill in children, preparing them for their future ahead. It's a great idea to encourage this sense of accomplishment and ownership, which can also help develop a responsible attitude towards simple chores and other duties.

Using incentives and positive reinforcement can be an effective way to foster a healthy mindset. When children feel good about themselves and their abilities, it can spur them on to continue acting responsibly and take pride in their contributions, knowing they are valuable members of the family team. This sense of achievement can translate into other areas of their lives too.

What simple chores have you found to be successful in encouraging a sense of responsibility? And what fun ways do you engage your children to make these tasks enjoyable? After all, it's important that these experiences are memorable and enjoyable for them too!

It's great to share these strategies; I find that parents often appreciate the practical tips that others have found useful!

Pride and confidence booster activities should be a definite addition to the parenting playbook. Giving them chores that match their skill level helps them develop a sense of capability and independence. It's a win-win situation because, along the way, they learn essential life skills and bond with their siblings, developing unity among them.

Reactions: eternity
Pride and confidence booster activities should be a definite addition to the parenting playbook. Giving them chores that match their skill level helps them develop a sense of capability and independence. It's a win-win situation because, along the way, they learn essential life skills and bond with their siblings, developing unity among them.
Simple yet meaningful activities like these can go a long way in boosting confidence and creating precious family memories!

True that! Nothing like some good old responsibility to boost that confidence and make them feel capable adults-in-training. Siblings bonding and learning life skills are great bonuses!

What kind of chores or activities do you think are suitable for kids? Keep in mind that they have short attention spans, so it has gotta be fun, quick, and easy!

Reactions: techsavvy
Short attention spans = quick and fun! I find that dividing larger tasks into smaller manageable chunks helps keep kids motivated. For example, rather than tackling a huge mess in one go, assign a 10-minute tidying spree with a specific focus each day .

Or delegate small but regular jobs that need doing anyway, like wiping down the dinner table after meals or setting the table for dinner - these are quick, achievable and give an instant sense of accomplishment.

If it's fun that's needed to keep them engaged, add some friendly competition by timing them or making it into a game - who can set the table fastest without dropping any cups?

There are also some great apps that break down household tasks into simple, quick chores - the gamified ones are particularly motivating for kids! I'll let you know if I find any good ones.

Great ideas! My little one loves helping out with household tasks, especially when they're made into games - it's a win-win because so much gets done without feeling like a chore !

I've found some success with dividing deep cleaning tasks into manageable chunks too - like tackling one shelf of the bookshelf or cupboard at a time, and making a game out of it. 'Can you help me find all the toys that belong in this shelf? You're the toy detective!' seems to work every time!

• Love
Reactions: nature and wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu