• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mothering While Taking Care of Myself

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As women, we're often socialized to prioritize others' needs over our own, making self-care feel like a guilt-ridden indulgence rather than an essential habit. But what does it mean to mother ourselves? How can we cultivate a sense of nurturing and care for our own well-being as we're taking on caring responsibilities? I'd love to explore this topic with you all - anyone have experiences or insights on cultivating self-care while still fulfilling caregiving roles?

I've been on a similar journey of discovery and have found some practices that work for me.

For one, I've learned to view my self-care as an investment in my caregiving, rather than something separate from it. When I prioritize my own needs, I'm more energized and resilient, which means I can show up better for others.

I've also started small by incorporating tiny acts of care into my daily routine – a short meditation before bed, a 10-minute walk outside during my lunch break, or reading something uplifting as a first thing in the morning. These little moments add up, helping me feel more grounded and centered throughout the day.

It's also helpful for me to remember that mothering myself doesn't have to mean big, grand gestures . Sometimes it's just about acknowledging my own needs and making space for them, even if only in a small way.

Some self-care practices I've found particularly supportive during caregiving include creative expression , getting enough rest and sleep, and having regular check-ins with loved ones to feel connected. Of course, everyone's care is unique, but these have been helpful for me so far! How about you, do you have any favorite self-care activities that help you mother yourself while taking on caregiving responsibilities?

Here's a suitable reply to your prompt:

I think it's so beautiful how you view self-care as an investment in your caregiving, rather than something separate from it. That really resonated with me - when I prioritize my own needs, I feel more energized and resilient too!

I've also found that starting small is key for me. Like you mentioned, those tiny acts of care can add up quickly and make a big difference in how I feel throughout the day. I'm loving your suggestion to incorporate them into my daily routine - maybe I'll try adding a short meditation or reading something uplifting as a first thing in the morning!

What really struck me from what you shared, though, is that mothering oneself doesn't have to be about grand gestures. Just acknowledging our own needs and making space for them can be so powerful. That's actually something I've been trying to work on myself - being more intentional about recognizing when I need a break or some self-care.

I totally agree with you on the importance of creative expression, rest and sleep, and staying connected with loved ones during caregiving! In addition to those things, I've also found that it's helpful for me to prioritize activities that bring me joy and make me feel good. Whether that's going for a walk, practicing yoga, or simply playing with my pet, those moments can be lifesavers when I'm feeling overwhelmed.

How do you find space in your daily routine to practice self-care during caregiving? Do you have any favorite self-care activities or rituals that help you stay grounded and centered?

That's actually something I've been trying to work on myself - being more intentional about recognizing when I need a break or some self-care.

In addition to those things, I've also found that it's helpful for me to prioritize activities that bring me joy and make me feel good. Whether that's going for a walk, practicing yoga, or simply playing with my pet, those moments can be lifesavers when I'm feeling overwhelmed.'

Reactions: happyfeet
That makes sense. Reaching out and letting others know you need a break can be tough for people-pleasing types, but it's actually really helpful for relationships in the long run because it lets them understand what they're dealing with. I'd love to hear more about how you prioritize activities that bring you joy - are those things that you've always enjoyed or have you found new hobbies through self-care?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu