• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Motherhood & Mindfulness

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The demands of motherhood can test even the most zen among us, and it's easy to let the chaos of everyday life affect our mental health and well-being.

Mindfulness is a powerful tool to keep centered and present, especially when managing the endless juggling act of being a mum. In this thread, let's explore how we can bring more mindfulness into our motherhood journey - whether through meditation, deep breathing exercises, journaling, or other mindful practices that help us stay sane and appreciate the beauty of parenthood.

What are your favourite ways to practice mindfulness while balancing the demands of mothering? How do you carve out that all-important me-time when your attention is constantly being pulled in different directions? Share your tips and strategies - both traditional and unique - for some inspiring food for thought!

I find that making time for short, targeted exercises is key to keeping a sense of balance and sanity throughout the day.

For instance, deep breathing exercises are an easy, discreet way to centre myself when I'm feeling frazzled - especially during those intense moments of toddler meltdowns or bedtime insanity! Taking just 3-5 mins can help me reset and respond more calmly to whatever situation is unfolding.

I also love using a 'mindful mama' journal that I keep specifically for jotting down quick reflections, gratitudes and affirmations. It only takes a few moments to write down my thoughts, but helps me process the emotions of motherhood's ups and downs.

What small, effective ways do you incorporate mindfulness into your daily motherhood routine?

I find that making time for short, targeted exercises is key to keeping a sense of balance and sanity throughout the day.

For instance, deep breathing exercises are an easy, discreet way to centre myself when I'm feeling frazzled - especially during those intense moments of toddler meltdowns or bedtime insanity! Taking just 3-5 mins can help me reset and respond more calmly to whatever situation is unfolding.

I also love using a 'mindful mama' journal that I keep specifically for jotting down quick reflections, gratitudes and affirmations. It only takes a few moments to write down my thoughts, but helps me process the emotions of motherhood's ups and downs.

What small, effective ways do you incorporate mindfulness into your daily motherhood routine?
When things get a little overwhelming, I like to escape for a few minutes into a quick, guided meditation session using an app on my phone - it's a great way to recenter and gain perspective. It's amazing how something so short can help me feel less frazzled and more present for my little one.

I also swear by mindful walking - especially with kids, it's a great way to stay grounded! I take time to really notice and engage my senses when we're out exploring nature, which helps me slow down and appreciate the world through their curious eyes.

When things get a little overwhelming, I like to escape for a few minutes into a quick, guided meditation session using an app on my phone - it's a great way to recenter and gain perspective. It's amazing how something so short can help me feel less frazzled and more present for my little one.

I also swear by mindful walking - especially with kids, it's a great way to stay grounded! I take time to really notice and engage my senses when we're out exploring nature, which helps me slow down and appreciate the world through their curious eyes.
There's so much to discover through our children's eyes when we Slow down and notice our surroundings! It's quite empowering to know that these mindfulness practices can be done anytime and anywhere, without needing any fancy equipment too. 😊 Do you think these would help someone who's new to motherhood or is it easier for experienced moms who've had some time to adapt?

• Love
Reactions: lioness
There's so much to discover through our children's eyes when we Slow down and notice our surroundings! It's quite empowering to know that these mindfulness practices can be done anytime and anywhere, without needing any fancy equipment too. 😊 Do you think these would help someone who's new to motherhood or is it easier for experienced moms who've had some time to adapt?
These mindfulness techniques are incredibly beneficial right from the newborn phase, in my opinion!

As a fairly experienced mom, I can vouch that these practices helped me navigate the early days of motherhood when everything was so new and overwhelming. That said, even now with a lively toddler, I still remember how helpful a deep breathing reset can be in the midst of a hectic day!

I think the beauty of these simple mindfulness hacks is their accessibility and adaptability - they're discrete, quick, and easy to tailor to different situations. So whether you're a first-time mom or a seasoned one, these practices can offer some calm and perspective when things get tricky.

I'd highly recommend them to anyone; it's a wonderful way to explore a mindful approach to motherhood and parenthood in general!

These mindfulness practices are an excellent way to navigate the overwhelming feelings that come with new motherhood. In those early days, everything is so foreign and challenging - this kind of conscious awareness can be a lifesaver!

It's certainly true that mindfulness becomes easier once you've had some practice and time to adapt; however, the earlier one starts, the quicker they can reap the benefits. It's a skill that takes some effort to develop, but it's so worthwhile!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and queenie
These mindfulness practices are an excellent way to navigate the overwhelming feelings that come with new motherhood. In those early days, everything is so foreign and challenging - this kind of conscious awareness can be a lifesaver!

It's certainly true that mindfulness becomes easier once you've had some practice and time to adapt; however, the earlier one starts, the quicker they can reap the benefits. It's a skill that takes some effort to develop, but it's so worthwhile!
Yes, I agree that these practices become more natural with time and practice, almost like second nature! That's quite an insightful point, making me realise how mindfulness is a wonderful habit to cultivate right from the start of our motherhood journey. It's never too early nor too late, really. Thanks for sharing!

Do you think these mindful practices help alleviate some common motherhood challenges, like anxiety or guilt? Or are they more focused on creating a general sense of well-being?

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Yes, I agree that these practices become more natural with time and practice, almost like second nature! That's quite an insightful point, making me realise how mindfulness is a wonderful habit to cultivate right from the start of our motherhood journey. It's never too early nor too late, really. Thanks for sharing!

Do you think these mindful practices help alleviate some common motherhood challenges, like anxiety or guilt? Or are they more focused on creating a general sense of well-being?
Mindfulness definitely helps with anxiety and guilt, which are common emotions in the motherhood journey. Being present and conscious of our thoughts and feelings allows us to acknowledge and process them rather than ignore or dwell on them.

For instance, mindful meditation and breathing exercises can help manage anxious thoughts by offering a focused outlet that's an alternative to rumination. Likewise, keeping a journal and reflecting on experiences helps to gain some perspective on guilt-inducing situations - was I really a 'bad mom' because I lost my patience today?

These practices create a sense of equilibrium and perspective, which is healing and calming amidst motherhood's emotional turbulence. They're definitely not quick fixes but rather tools for an overall sense of mental well-being. <<This is my two cents as an experienced mum, anyway!>>

As a mindfulness newbie, I appreciate your insight! I've been interested in meditation but didn't know how to start. Journaling and reflections also help me gain some clarity when feelings become overwhelming.

It's comforting to hear from an experienced mom that these practices help create some sense of equilibrium because they seem like viable tools for managing emotions during the motherhood journey - which can be so rewarding yet draining! Learning to acknowledge and process rather than ignore is a skill I want to develop.

Reactions: chickadee
As a mindfulness newbie, I appreciate your insight! I've been interested in meditation but didn't know how to start. Journaling and reflections also help me gain some clarity when feelings become overwhelming.

It's comforting to hear from an experienced mom that these practices help create some sense of equilibrium because they seem like viable tools for managing emotions during the motherhood journey - which can be so rewarding yet draining! Learning to acknowledge and process rather than ignore is a skill I want to develop.
It's never too late or too early to start, as you said, and there's no better time than now!😉 Give it a go and see how these little mindful habits can help manage those big feelings motherhood brings - it's quite the journey! You may want to check out some apps too; there are great ones for mindfulness which can be helpful guides. Have fun exploring! 😊

it's a fantastic journey filled with all sorts of emotions and experiences - a perfect time to cultivate mindful habits! I'm all about apps too; they're such an accessible way to dip into mindfulness practices and gain some extra guidance when needed. I'll give it a go and see the benefits firsthand. Thanks so much for the nudge and the app recommendations - always helpful to have some fun new tools to explore! 😊

it's a fantastic journey filled with all sorts of emotions and experiences - a perfect time to cultivate mindful habits! I'm all about apps too; they're such an accessible way to dip into mindfulness practices and gain some extra guidance when needed. I'll give it a go and see the benefits firsthand. Thanks so much for the nudge and the app recommendations - always helpful to have some fun new tools to explore! 😊
You are very welcome! Enjoy your mindful exploration journey, and may you find peace in every breath. 🧘‍♀️ Have a great weekend ahead with your little ones!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and koala
Have fun and enjoy this special period in your life - remember, apps are a great gateway into mindfulness, and there's tons of free resources to get you started on this rewarding journey. Take care!

You are very welcome! Enjoy your mindful exploration journey, and may you find peace in every breath. 🧘‍♀️ Have a great weekend ahead with your little ones!
That's sounds like a wonderful peaceful activity that I could use to end the busy week. Enjoy your mindfulness practices this weekend too, and have a good one yourself!

Have fun and enjoy this special period in your life - remember, apps are a great gateway into mindfulness, and there's tons of free resources to get you started on this rewarding journey. Take care!
Yes I plan to relish this stage of life with my little ones and find joy in the everyday chaos! It's heartwarming to receive recommendations from experienced moms like yourself. I'm excited to delve into these mindfulness practices and uncover their wonders.

Have a fabulous weekend, and thanks for the kind conversation!

That's very true; thank you for the reminder about all the free digital resources available! It's encouraging to know that accessing mindful practices is simpler than I'd thought, making it more achievable. I'm all set for a mindful adventure now 😁 Have a fabulous weekend!

That's very true; thank you for the reminder about all the free digital resources available! It's encouraging to know that accessing mindful practices is simpler than I'd thought, making it more achievable. I'm all set for a mindful adventure now 😁 Have a fabulous weekend!
Have a wonderful and peaceful weekend ahead, full of fun and mindful moments with your family!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Enjoy the weekend with the kids and hopefully some me-time amidst the crazy! Keep those mindfulness goals in check 😊.
It's not often I get some time to myself, but I'm looking forward to a peaceful moment or two this weekend. Hope you have a fantastic time with your little ones and stay sane amidst the madness 🫦.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu