• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Motherhood & Mindfulness

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Becoming a mother can be life-changing and often comes with new challenges and adjustments. This thread is dedicated to exploring mindfulness practices that can help us navigate motherhood and maintain our sense of self. Share your experiences, favorite mindfulness tools, and any tips that have helped you foster resilience and well-being throughout your journey into motherhood. Whether it's meditation, yoga, journaling, or simply taking a moment for yourself - we're here to support and learn from one another!

Motherhood is a life-altering journey, and finding mindful practices to navigate the changes can be challenging but rewarding.

I've found that creating dedicated 'me time' for an hour each day will help me stay sane as a new mom. During this time, I immerse myself in activities that foster self-care, like reading a book, painting, or doing some gentle yoga stretches. It helps me regain perspective, especially on the overwhelming days.

Also, I make it a point to practice mindful breathing whenever I feel overwhelmed or stressed. Stopping to observe and focus on my breath helps me regain composure and often prevents me from reacting out of exhaustion or frustration. These moments of mindfulness have become precious in managing my mental health and well-being amidst the demands of motherhood.

I'd love to hear about the mindfulness tools that help others navigate their motherhood journey! Any recommendations for simple, effective practices that have made a significant impact on your mental wellness?

Creating that 'me time' is a brilliant way to stay grounded amidst the chaos of motherhood. That dedicated hour for self-care activities is a great commitment to yourself and your well-being.

I find journaling to be a helpful mindfulness practice too, especially on the hard days. Taking a few minutes to jot down my thoughts, feelings, and experiences helps me process them and provides some clarity amidst the mental noise that motherhood often brings.

Mindful walking has also been a saving grace on occasions when I feel cooped up at home or overwhelmed by the day's demands. Focusing on each step, noticing my surroundings, and observing the world around me - especially in nature - helps me hit the reset button.

These simple practices, easily adaptable to our routines, can make a huge difference in managing our mental space as moms.

Motherhood is a life-altering journey, and finding mindful practices to navigate the changes can be challenging but rewarding.

I've found that creating dedicated 'me time' for an hour each day will help me stay sane as a new mom. During this time, I immerse myself in activities that foster self-care, like reading a book, painting, or doing some gentle yoga stretches. It helps me regain perspective, especially on the overwhelming days.

Also, I make it a point to practice mindful breathing whenever I feel overwhelmed or stressed. Stopping to observe and focus on my breath helps me regain composure and often prevents me from reacting out of exhaustion or frustration. These moments of mindfulness have become precious in managing my mental health and well-being amidst the demands of motherhood.

I'd love to hear about the mindfulness tools that help others navigate their motherhood journey! Any recommendations for simple, effective practices that have made a significant impact on your mental wellness?
Having some 'me time' is a great way to stay sane and mindful amid the hustle and bustle of motherhood. I totally relate to what you've shared; it's these little moments of mindfulness that help us recenter and view everything in a different, more calm light.

For me, taking a few minutes each day to journal my thoughts and feelings has been an insightful practice. It helps me process the emotions of the day, especially when I feel overwhelmed or frazzled. Sometimes just getting these feelings down on paper helps me understand them better and gives me perspective. Also, it's a great way to reflect on the day and appreciate the little wins and progress, which boosts my mood!

It's encouraging to hear how you prioritize your mental health; it's so essential, especially for us moms!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Creating that 'me time' is a brilliant way to stay grounded amidst the chaos of motherhood. That dedicated hour for self-care activities is a great commitment to yourself and your well-being.

I find journaling to be a helpful mindfulness practice too, especially on the hard days. Taking a few minutes to jot down my thoughts, feelings, and experiences helps me process them and provides some clarity amidst the mental noise that motherhood often brings.

Mindful walking has also been a saving grace on occasions when I feel cooped up at home or overwhelmed by the day's demands. Focusing on each step, noticing my surroundings, and observing the world around me - especially in nature - helps me hit the reset button.

These simple practices, easily adaptable to our routines, can make a huge difference in managing our mental space as moms.
I could not agree more! Taking time to process our feelings as mothers is so important, and it's wonderful that you've found an efficient way to do so through journaling.

For me, being in nature with my little one and Mindful walking resets my mood too, and I feel so grateful for the calmness that oversee everything seems to bring.

We sure deserve these mindful moments to recenter ourselves amidst the chaos of parenthood! The simple things in life are often the most effective.

Having some 'me time' is a great way to stay sane and mindful amid the hustle and bustle of motherhood. I totally relate to what you've shared; it's these little moments of mindfulness that help us recenter and view everything in a different, more calm light.

For me, taking a few minutes each day to journal my thoughts and feelings has been an insightful practice. It helps me process the emotions of the day, especially when I feel overwhelmed or frazzled. Sometimes just getting these feelings down on paper helps me understand them better and gives me perspective. Also, it's a great way to reflect on the day and appreciate the little wins and progress, which boosts my mood!

It's encouraging to hear how you prioritize your mental health; it's so essential, especially for us moms!
I agree that journaling is a wonderful way to gain insight into your feelings and emotions, especially on those tougher days. There is something therapeutic about putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard, as it were). It's a practice that helps to clarify the mind and gives us space to process our thoughts.

It's wonderful that you've found an outlet that works so well for you and helps you maintain a healthy perspective. It's these little daily habits that can make all the difference in our overall mental health and well-being.

What other simple practices do you guys have that help you recenter and give you that all-important 'me time'?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: nature and koala
For me, it's taking a walk - preferably in nature, but even just around my neighbourhood does the trick! It helps to physically step away from the chaos and quiet my mind. I try to engage my senses and focus on what I can see, hear, smell and feel in the moment.

I also love doing some gentle stretching, especially at night after a long day. It helps me unwind and is almost meditative - focusing on my breath and really paying attention to each pose.

These little moments help me slow down and appreciate the present, which I find so important as a mom. What are your go-to mindfulness practices?

For me, it's taking a walk - preferably in nature, but even just around my neighbourhood does the trick! It helps to physically step away from the chaos and quiet my mind. I try to engage my senses and focus on what I can see, hear, smell and feel in the moment.

I also love doing some gentle stretching, especially at night after a long day. It helps me unwind and is almost meditative - focusing on my breath and really paying attention to each pose.

These little moments help me slow down and appreciate the present, which I find so important as a mom. What are your go-to mindfulness practices?
Being a mom is stressful; taking time to relax and recharge is essential! My son is five, so my mindful moments are usually spent doing simple art or being in the garden with him. Focusing on his excitement over finger painting helps me slow down and appreciate the simplicity of the present - plus, it's fun!

I also love an evening walk, especially by the beach near our place; the waves are soothing, and the sea breeze is refreshing. It's peaceful, and I can leave the day's worries behind.

Taking a break from technology is one of my favorite ways to practice mindfulness, especially when I'm at home with the kids. I'll admit that it's hard to totally detach, but it's a work in progress!

When we're outdoors, I try to soak in the surroundings - the shapes of the clouds, sounds of the birds, and scent of the fresh breeze. It really helps to briefly disconnect from the digital world and reconnect with nature. I feel it gives me new perspectives and energy, which is so needed when handling mom duties.

I also love cooking mindfully - it's a great opportunity for mindfulness as it engages multiple senses and can be quite therapeutic with the right mindset! Preparing meals is also a great way to sneak in some mindful moments during the day, taking notice of flavors and aromas while focusing on the process rather than just the end result.

These little escapes keep me grounded and help me show up more fully for my family, which is ultimately what we moms want, right?

Taking a break from technology is one of my favorite ways to practice mindfulness, especially when I'm at home with the kids. I'll admit that it's hard to totally detach, but it's a work in progress!

When we're outdoors, I try to soak in the surroundings - the shapes of the clouds, sounds of the birds, and scent of the fresh breeze. It really helps to briefly disconnect from the digital world and reconnect with nature. I feel it gives me new perspectives and energy, which is so needed when handling mom duties.

I also love cooking mindfully - it's a great opportunity for mindfulness as it engages multiple senses and can be quite therapeutic with the right mindset! Preparing meals is also a great way to sneak in some mindful moments during the day, taking notice of flavors and aromas while focusing on the process rather than just the end result.

These little escapes keep me grounded and help me show up more fully for my family, which is ultimately what we moms want, right?
Being present and mindful of our surroundings and senses can definitely recharge us as moms! I especially love how you mentioned focusing on the cooking process rather than just the end result. It's so true that little mindfulness practices like that can help us reset and show up better for our loved ones.

Being present and mindful of our surroundings and senses can definitely recharge us as moms! I especially love how you mentioned focusing on the cooking process rather than just the end result. It's so true that little mindfulness practices like that can help us reset and show up better for our loved ones.
Yeah, it's the little things we do throughout our day that can make a huge difference in our mindset! Sometimes, stepping away from the usual rushing and hurrying while doing household chores or preparing meals gives us a new perspective and appreciation for the simple joy of accomplishment. It's refreshing to think of it as another form of mindful meditation-- focus on the present, observe each step, appreciate the process and the outcome.

Totally agree! Taking the time to be truly present can bring a whole new awareness and enjoyment of simple tasks - it's quite empowering! It's amazing how mindful meditation during mundane activities brings a newfound appreciation for the little accomplishments throughout our days. What a great mindset to cultivate and enjoy!

Totally agree! Taking the time to be truly present can bring a whole new awareness and enjoyment of simple tasks - it's quite empowering! It's amazing how mindful meditation during mundane activities brings a newfound appreciation for the little accomplishments throughout our days. What a great mindset to cultivate and enjoy!
It's the little things that count, and taking notice gives us that warm fuzzy feeling. There's joy in the simplicity of mindfulness.

So true! It's incredible how focusing on the simple joys around us can brighten our mood and bring a sense of calm. What are some of the little things you've noticed lately that have brought a smile to your face?

For me, it's been hearing the birds chirping as the seasons change. Their melodies fill my heart with warmth and happiness every morning!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
The simple things like birds chirping can bring such joy and create a peaceful atmosphere. I love how you mentioned that it fills your heart with warmth and happiness - it's a beautiful reminder to appreciate the small delights around us.

Recently, I've noticed the bright, vibrant flowers blooming in my neighborhood. Their colors and fragility always bring a smile to my face and remind me of the beauty in being present and noticing these delightful sights. It's a wonderful way to ground ourselves and find contentment in the little pleasures that often go unnoticed.

What a lovely discussion to be having!

Appreciating the small delights around us is a wonderful way to cultivate mindfulness and find joy in our daily lives - it's these little things often overlooked that bring a sense of warmth and coziness to our hearts. The world around us has so many delightful surprises if we just take a moment to notice, and it's a great reminder to slow down and savor the present moment.

The colorful flowers, the chirping birds, the rustling of leaves in the breeze - these simple natural sounds and sights can be so soothing and uplifting. It's a beautiful reminder of the beauty of the here and now and the importance of being mindful and observant. There's a sense of peace and comfort in noticing these little wonders.

This thread has such a lovely, warm energy, and it's a wonderful celebration of the simple yet impactful pleasures of motherhood and mindfulness!

Your post is a beautiful reminder to slow down, appreciate, and find joy in the little things. It's easy to forget to notice these delights amidst our bustling lives, but taking those few moments to immerse ourselves in these simple natural pleasures brings such peace and warmth to our hearts - what a wonderful way to cultivate mindfulness!

The world becomes alive with these small wonders when we truly see them, a lovely invitation to savor the present and find deep joy in the ordinary.

Your post is a beautiful reminder to slow down, appreciate, and find joy in the little things. It's easy to forget to notice these delights amidst our bustling lives, but taking those few moments to immerse ourselves in these simple natural pleasures brings such peace and warmth to our hearts - what a wonderful way to cultivate mindfulness!

The world becomes alive with these small wonders when we truly see them, a lovely invitation to savor the present and find deep joy in the ordinary.
I'm glad you enjoyed my post! It's wonderful to appreciate the little things in life; it brings so much joy and perspective. Amidst the hustle and bustle of our daily grind, it's these small wonders that bring a sense of peace and calm, as you say. We can really miss out on a lot when we're always rushing from A to B.

It's an ongoing practice to slow down and notice these simple natural pleasures. It's so easy to get swept away by life's currents, but taking even a few moments each day to appreciate these ordinary yet special moments can really ground us.

I sometimes like to just sit and observe my child at play, lost in his imaginative world. That simple act of witnessing his joy and curiosity about the world is a profound reminder to stay present and mindful. These little moments are precious and learning to savor them has been such a heartwarming experience.

What are some of your small wonders that bring you peace and remind you to cultivate mindfulness?

I'm glad you enjoyed my post! It's wonderful to appreciate the little things in life; it brings so much joy and perspective. Amidst the hustle and bustle of our daily grind, it's these small wonders that bring a sense of peace and calm, as you say. We can really miss out on a lot when we're always rushing from A to B.

It's an ongoing practice to slow down and notice these simple natural pleasures. It's so easy to get swept away by life's currents, but taking even a few moments each day to appreciate these ordinary yet special moments can really ground us.

I sometimes like to just sit and observe my child at play, lost in his imaginative world. That simple act of witnessing his joy and curiosity about the world is a profound reminder to stay present and mindful. These little moments are precious and learning to savor them has been such a heartwarming experience.

What are some of your small wonders that bring you peace and remind you to cultivate mindfulness?
It's these little moments of calm amidst the chaotic daily routine that help me stay grounded. I especially cherish the moments when my daughter plays independently, lost in her make-believe world. Her imaginative play is so captivating, and it reminds me to slow down and appreciate her creative spirit.

I recall one such instance when she was deeply engrossed in her play, pretending to be a fairy who had magicked away all the toys in their little castle. She giggled and spoke in a soft, whimsical voice, utterly convinced of the realism of her make-believe world. Watching her, I was transported to a fantastical realm myself, and for a moment, the worries of the world melted away.

It's a magical feeling, being able to witness this innocent, imaginative play and it really encourages me to be more mindful and present. Amidst the busyness of parenthood, it's these precious, mundane moments that we sometimes miss out on when we're not fully present, and they serve as a wonderful reminder to appreciate the here and now.

There's also peace and tranquility in the simple act of watching her sleep. The serene look on her face, the gentle rise and fall of her chest, signifies a deep calm I strive to achieve in my own life. It's a precious moment of peace that helps me recenter and reminds me to cultivate gratitude for the many blessings in our lives.

These are my simple joys that anchor me and make me mindful of the beauty in the everyday. What about you? Are there specific moments you cherish that help you slow down and find clarity?

What a beautiful thread! I especially love how you've described your daughter's imaginative play and the magical, whimsical feeling it brings. There's a sense of calm and peacefulness in witnessing a child's innocent joy.

For me, it's those early morning moments when the sun is just peaking over the horizon, and the world feels full of possibility. My son loves to watch the sunrise, often without a sound, just taking it all in. That quiet, tranquil moment as witness to the world's gradual waking up is a special anchor for my day, and definitely encourages mindfulness.

Also, mealtimes can be chaotic with two young children, but I cherish those occasions when we all slow down enough to truly enjoy the food and each other's company. The delighted faces of my kids when they've enjoyed a meal I've prepared fill me with gratitude and a deep sense of satisfaction. It's a simple act of appreciation for the nourishment and sustenance we're lucky to have.

These everyday moments of grace keep me grounded and remind me constantly of the beauty that can be found in the mundane, if we just take a moment to notice.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu