• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Milestones to Celebrate

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's so much to celebrate as our little ones grow up - what milestones do you look forward to and celebrate?

It could be those first smiles, steps, or words - or the milestones that mean something personal to your family. Do certain milestones hold fond memories for you, and are there any you're eagerly awaiting? Let's share our stories of celebration!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: joyful and cissy
There's so much to celebrate as our little ones grow up - what milestones do you look forward to and celebrate?

It could be those first smiles, steps, or words - or the milestones that mean something personal to your family. Do certain milestones hold fond memories for you, and are there any you're eagerly awaiting? Let's share our stories of celebration!
My husband and I were thrilled when our son took his first steps at 11 months. We had been trying all the ways to encourage him - from clapping to showing him how to do it - and finally, he did it! He was so proud of himself, tottering around the living room, and we were beaming even more proudly beside him.

I also enjoyed the phase where he started pointing at objects and asking "Wassss dat? Wasssss dat?" in his adorable sing-song voice. It's such a cute way to learn new words, and I enjoyed teaching him the names of things and watching his little mind soak it all up like a sponge.

I'm looking forward to when he can count past 10 and learn the colors because we've been working on it together, and I want to see his reaction when he finally gets it. Seeing him learn and pick up new skills is such a cool experience for me, it's exhilarating!

What about you? What milestones do you cherish or anticipate?

Reactions: wellness

My son's first word held a lot of significance; it was a heartwarming moment when he said "mummy" for the first time. It felt like a sweet little achievement and made me feel so touched and proud! I also loved when he started walking, as those tiny steps marked his newfound mobility and independence. Seeing him walk confidently and explore his surroundings was such a delight! These moments are precious and make me appreciate the joys of motherhood.

• Love
Reactions: cissy

For me, it's all about the little achievements! I remember the excitement of hearing my daughter lacing her words together for the first time - that was a biggie and called for a family dinner celebration. And then there was the day she wrote her name independently - eight letters perfectly formed, which seemed like a huge deal to us! These personal milestones are so exciting as they signify their growth and progress. I'm sure other parents feel the same way too!

My 8 year old recently rode her bicycle without training wheels for the first time. She was so proud of herself, and we celebrated her achievement with a small reward - a new helmet in her favorite color! It's a moment that I'll always cherish.

My son took his time with walking, but when he finally did take those first steady steps, it was such a joyful day. We had been encouraging him for so long, and his determination paid off. We celebrated by letting him pick the dishes for his favorite meal that week. Simple pleasures!

I believe these milestones are special because they bring loved ones together and remind us of our shared experiences. They're also a reminder of our children's unique personalities and their individual growth journeys.

I'd love to hear about other people's experiences and the milestones that hold special memories for them. Are there any upcoming events that parents are eagerly anticipating?

My son's first sentence was "I want Pokémon cards", which I found absolutely hilarious and celebrated by buying him his first ever Pokémon pack, which he adored. He's now old enough to get a good laugh out of it too.

I cherish unique moments like hearing him correctly pronounce difficult words at 3 years old after meticulously copying my pronunciation, which always made me beam with pride.

My husband and I were thrilled when our son took his first steps at 11 months. We had been trying all the ways to encourage him - from clapping to showing him how to do it - and finally, he did it! He was so proud of himself, tottering around the living room, and we were beaming even more proudly beside him.

I also enjoyed the phase where he started pointing at objects and asking "Wassss dat? Wasssss dat?" in his adorable sing-song voice. It's such a cute way to learn new words, and I enjoyed teaching him the names of things and watching his little mind soak it all up like a sponge.

I'm looking forward to when he can count past 10 and learn the colors because we've been working on it together, and I want to see his reaction when he finally gets it. Seeing him learn and pick up new skills is such a cool experience for me, it's exhilarating!

The first birthday is definitely a big one for me. It's an exciting milestone, and I loved planning the party and seeing all the little ones enjoying themselves. There's also that period where they start recognizing and responding to their name, along with simple commands like "Wave goodbye!" It's cute how they seem to understand us more than we think they do.

I'm eagerly awaiting the days when my tot can hold a decent conversation because he's at that stage now where he has opinions and preferences, which he tries to express through gestures and vocalizations. I can't wait to hear him verbalize them clearly! It's gonna be fun having little discussions with him and hearing his perspective on things.

Are there any milestones you've experienced that you think are extra special and why? It's great to hear about these special moments!

My son's first word held a lot of significance; it was a heartwarming moment when he said "mummy" for the first time. It felt like a sweet little achievement and made me feel so touched and proud! I also loved when he started walking, as those tiny steps marked his newfound mobility and independence. Seeing him walk confidently and explore his surroundings was such a delight! These moments are precious and make me appreciate the joys of motherhood.
That's lovely! It's wonderful how these little ones can bring so much joy and excitement with their milestones. I'm sure hearing that first special word from your child is an unforgettable memory, it's a title well-deserved - 'Mummy'!

My daughter's first words were at 10 months, and she surprised us by saying "hi" and "bye." I remember the excitement and proud feeling when she said her first word that we worked so hard trying to get her to say. Simple yet impactful greeting words seemed so meaningful!

I'm awaiting her teenage years for some deep conversations and hoping she will want to share her thoughts and feelings openly then. That's a milestone I'd love to reach - being able to connect on a deeper level and seeing her grow into an independent young woman with her own thoughts and interests.

hearing other mums' experiences, it seems like the learning milestones are highly anticipated and celebrated in most households!

My son recently started talking Non-Stop like the Disney movie 😅 which is hilarious and adorable! I can't wait till he understands and appreciates art because that's my passion and I'd love to share that with him. I'm excited for his first real conversation - where he elaborates on his feelings, thoughts and ideas.

Also, as he's developing an independent personality, I'm keen to witness the milestones of him making new friends and learning social cues beyond our home. You know, making sure he has a nice balance between being socially popular and not being a pushover! It's quite intriguing to think about!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama

I enjoyed hearing my son say meaningful sentences. Not just the generic one-word replies like "yes" and "no", but when he started stringing words together to express opinions and thoughts. Like many kids his age, he'd often come out with deep insights that show how much he's been paying attention to adult conversations, or crack wise unexpectedly.

I anticipate the day he'll hit double digits in age. Double figures always seem like a big deal to me, and I plan to celebrate it with a big, lavish party so he can look back on it as a memorable milestone. I'm sure many parents can relate - each stage comes with its own unique challenges and joys, but that one seems like such a clear demarcation line for childhood.

Reactions: joyful
hearing him say "mummy" for the first time would've been so adorable!! I can't wait for my son to reach that stage where he can converse properly because he's currently at the difficult toddler stage, talking gibberish most of the time! Milestones are exciting for us moms!

Reactions: mamamia
That's a precious moment to cherish forever! For me, it's always exciting to see kids taking on new challenges and achieving them, like learning a new skill or understanding a concept. It's an amazing display of their cognitive growth, isn't it? I find myself enjoying those little victories too, like when my toddler master a new puzzle or learns how to dress herself. These milestones and the associated memories are so rewarding!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and sunnydays
Yes, isn't it satisfying to see the results of all the efforts you've put in, finally paying off?

For me, it was especially gratifying when he said "mummy" too -- after what felt like an eternity of babbling and incomprehensible toddler talk! It's a unique feeling when you know they're slowly learning to verbalize their wants and needs.

For me, it's all about the little achievements! I remember the excitement of hearing my daughter lacing her words together for the first time - that was a biggie and called for a family dinner celebration. And then there was the day she wrote her name independently - eight letters perfectly formed, which seemed like a huge deal to us! These personal milestones are so exciting as they signify their growth and progress. I'm sure other parents feel the same way too!
I agree, those little achievements are big milestones that deserve celebration! They represent the hard work and progress of our children. It's exciting to see them develop and form their personalities! It's like we're in for lots of little surprises along parenthood.

• Love
My 8 year old recently rode her bicycle without training wheels for the first time. She was so proud of herself, and we celebrated her achievement with a small reward - a new helmet in her favorite color! It's a moment that I'll always cherish.

My son took his time with walking, but when he finally did take those first steady steps, it was such a joyful day. We had been encouraging him for so long, and his determination paid off. We celebrated by letting him pick the dishes for his favorite meal that week. Simple pleasures!

I believe these milestones are special because they bring loved ones together and remind us of our shared experiences. They're also a reminder of our children's unique personalities and their individual growth journeys.

I'd love to hear about other people's experiences and the milestones that hold special memories for them. Are there any upcoming events that parents are eagerly anticipating?
That's really sweet! I love how you guys celebrated your daughter's achievement with a well-deserved reward. It's these little victories that make parenthood so meaningful.

Many parents, including me, look forward to their children learning how to read. While it's a long journey, being able to pick up books and 'read' to you is a satisfying milestone. I recall having all the time in the world to indulge in storytime and foster early literacy skills when my older one was little; it's a precious memory.

As for my younger one, his current enthusiasm for puzzles has me awaiting the day he puts together his first difficult puzzle independently. He's still working on his patience though!

it's these little achievements that bring such joy and make every parent proud! It's wonderful to celebrate each child's unique milestones and watch them grow and develop at their own pace. Does anyone have any other memorable milestones they'd like to share? They need not be big, as the little ones are often the most heartwarming!

You're right about the excitement levelled at every little achievement, looking back, there's a sense of nostalgia for those bygone days! The first time our children start putting words together is such a cute phase; it goes by so quickly! Congrats on your daughter's handwriting milestone - that's a fine motor skill accomplishment worth celebrating with a special dinner!

Reactions: travelmum
You're right; those little achievements are worth celebrating! They showcase the kind of growth that comes with being attentive and intentional in parenting. It's lovely when you can look back at those milestones and appreciate how much effort your child has been putting into their development. It's a great feeling to witness their progress, isn't it?

Yes, it's these little victories that make way for proud parent moments! Celebrating them is a great way to appreciate the hard work and milestones, big or small. Some may see them as mundane, but us parents know the sheer joy and pride behind every one of these achievements!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu