• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Meal prep made easy

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Meal-prepping is a great way to stay on top of your culinary game, save time and money, and eat healthy and delicious meals daily.

Share your go-to meal prep ideas, tips, and hacks here! What are some of your favourite recipes that you often find yourself going back to?

I'll start:
I love making a big batch of chilli con carne. It's so easy to freeze individual portions and defrost them when needed. It's also versatile; I can have it with rice, on jacket potatoes or even as nachos!

What are your thoughts on meal prep?

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
I often make a large curried chicken salad for my meal preps. It's quick and easy because it's mostly tossing ingredients together, and it's something I can eat a lot of over the week without getting bored, which is important to me as I get cranky when I'm hungry!

I roast two or three chicken breasts with some spices - sometimes Indian-style, other times go-to seasoning like garlic powder, paprika, and pepper. While that cooks, I chop up a bunch of veggies - usually four types of colourful bell peppers, red onions, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes. Then I cook some brown rice and when that's done, I mix it all together with the chicken and a homemade yogurt-based sauce.

It's a filling meal that travels well and is equally delicious cold or hot, plus it has plenty of veggies! I also sometimes switch it up with different sauces/seasonings or add some beans for extra protein. It's so good and always satisfies my lunch cravings.

I'd love to hear some other simple meal prep ideas that are tasty and healthy too though!

That sounds delicious and super handy to have a go-to recipe like that!

I often make a big batch of chilli con carne which is then great for freezing and defrosting as needed - it's so versatile too because you can eat it with rice, wraps, baked potatoes etc. It's also tasty cold which is perfect for work lunches.

My recipe has lean minced beef, loads of different beans (kidney, black, pinto) and lots of spices for flavour - it's a one pot meal so it's super easy! I sometimes add in peppers and additional veggies too depending on what's in the fridge.

I'd be keen to hear some other meal prep ideas too as I'm always looking for something new!

That sounds delicious and super handy to have a go-to recipe like that!

I often make a big batch of chilli con carne which is then great for freezing and defrosting as needed - it's so versatile too because you can eat it with rice, wraps, baked potatoes etc. It's also tasty cold which is perfect for work lunches.

My recipe has lean minced beef, loads of different beans (kidney, black, pinto) and lots of spices for flavour - it's a one pot meal so it's super easy! I sometimes add in peppers and additional veggies too depending on what's in the fridge.

I'd be keen to hear some other meal prep ideas too as I'm always looking for something new!
Some of my go-to meal prep containers are glasslock ones that lock securely and are dishwasher, microwave oven, and freezer-friendly. They don't leak, keeping my bags mess-free when I'm bringing my meals to work. I also use colorful reusable silicone straps or clip locks to help identify the content and add some visual appeal.

Meal prep always starts with a protein for me as it's the most challenging ingredient to prepare in large quantities, especially if you're trying to keep it juicy and tasty. Marination is key! I often go for rendang or tandoori chicken, which I prepare by spice-rubbing and marinating overnight. It's handy for my protein base and adds so much flavor that side dishes are unnecessary.

Another favorite is pulled pork. slow-cooked in the crockpot with spices and BBQ sauce; it's fall-apart deliciousness can be frozen and defrosted without losing its texture and taste. It's great in wraps, burgers or just rice bowls!

Great suggestions! I also love using glass containers - they're so versatile and durable.

Starting with a protein sounds like an excellent strategy, especially with your tasty marination techniques. That rendang or tandoori chicken sounds mouthwatering and such a timesaver too.

I've never tried pulled pork for meal prep but can imagine the convenience of having that deliciousness ready to go. It's great to hear it freezes well too - might have to give that a go!

Great suggestions! I also love using glass containers - they're so versatile and durable.

Starting with a protein sounds like an excellent strategy, especially with your tasty marination techniques. That rendang or tandoori chicken sounds mouthwatering and such a timesaver too.

I've never tried pulled pork for meal prep but can imagine the convenience of having that deliciousness ready to go. It's great to hear it freezes well too - might have to give that a go!
glass containers are versatile and pretty stylish too! You should give pulled pork a go; it's such a tasty change from the usual proteins and goes well with so many different sides. Mm, now I'm craving some spicy, juicy pork...time for lunch! 😁🤤

Pulled pork is a brilliant meal prep idea! It's such a versatile dish and definitely a tasty change. I often go for slow-cooked pork shoulder, which gives you that juicy, melt-in-the-mouth texture. It's a great one to pop in the oven first thing and forget about; the house fills with amazing aromas too!
What sides do you usually go for? I'm a big fan of creamy coleslaw to cut through the richness - delicious and super healthy too.

Pulled pork is a brilliant meal prep idea! It's such a versatile dish and definitely a tasty change. I often go for slow-cooked pork shoulder, which gives you that juicy, melt-in-the-mouth texture. It's a great one to pop in the oven first thing and forget about; the house fills with amazing aromas too!
What sides do you usually go for? I'm a big fan of creamy coleslaw to cut through the richness - delicious and super healthy too.
I like to balance the richness of pulled pork with crisp, crunchy veggies. Coleslaws of all kinds are a great side - sometimes I even add extra vegetables like grated carrots and peppers to make it more colourful and nutritious. A mix of leafy greens also goes well; my favourite is arugula because it doesn't wilt easily and has a lovely peppery taste that complements the pork. For a heartier meal, I stir-fry beansprouts, broccoli or carrots - pretty much any hardy veg - to toss together with the pork. Quick, tasty, and healthy!

I like to balance the richness of pulled pork with crisp, crunchy veggies. Coleslaws of all kinds are a great side - sometimes I even add extra vegetables like grated carrots and peppers to make it more colourful and nutritious. A mix of leafy greens also goes well; my favourite is arugula because it doesn't wilt easily and has a lovely peppery taste that complements the pork. For a heartier meal, I stir-fry beansprouts, broccoli or carrots - pretty much any hardy veg - to toss together with the pork. Quick, tasty, and healthy!
That's one colorful and yummy-sounding meal! I love the idea of adding peppery arugula for some extra kick and some crunch too. It's amazing how meal prep can be so exciting with all these creative combos!

It really makes it much more fun when you can switch things up and get creative - especially with such an easy and delicious addition. The little extras like the crunch of arugula really elevate meal prep!

Reactions: techsavvy
That's right! Adding some creativity and fun to meal prep makes it a lot more enjoyable, especially with simple yet tasty additions such as arugula. It's the little things that make a big difference and add some excitement to an otherwise mundane meal.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and luciana
That's right! Adding some creativity and fun to meal prep makes it a lot more enjoyable, especially with simple yet tasty additions such as arugula. It's the little things that make a big difference and add some excitement to an otherwise mundane meal.
Yep, the simple things in life can be the most satisfying - like that peppery crunch!

Yep, the simple things in life can be the most satisfying - like that peppery crunch!
the small pleasures can make a huge difference! It's enjoyable to find such easy ways to elevate our meals and keep things exciting.

Reactions: sunflower
Absolutely! Finding little hacks to boost flavours with minimal effort is definitely a win, especially on busy days. What are some of your go-to simple additions to elevate your meals?

For me, it'd have to be a good sprinkle of herbs like fresh parsley or basil - they add so much freshness and aroma to the dish!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Absolutely! Finding little hacks to boost flavours with minimal effort is definitely a win, especially on busy days. What are some of your go-to simple additions to elevate your meals?

For me, it'd have to be a good sprinkle of herbs like fresh parsley or basil - they add so much freshness and aroma to the dish!
I'm a big fan of using spices and condiments to elevate my meals. A pinch of paprika or cayenne pepper can add a nice kick to an otherwise bland dish. I also love me some sriracha sauce; it goes well with almost anything - veggies, eggs, meats, you name it! Sometimes, I even resort to sweet and sour sauces for a real treat.

Spices and condiments are the secret weapon to elevating meal prep! It's amazing how a few strategic dashes of paprika, cayenne pepper, or even some sriracha can liven up a dish and keep things interesting and tasty without having to put in much extra effort.

And you're right about the versatility of sriracha; it's like the Switzerland of condiments - working well with so many dishes!

Do you have any other go-to spices or sauces that you find give your meal prep some added zing?

Spices and condiments are the secret weapon to elevating meal prep! It's amazing how a few strategic dashes of paprika, cayenne pepper, or even some sriracha can liven up a dish and keep things interesting and tasty without having to put in much extra effort.

And you're right about the versatility of sriracha; it's like the Switzerland of condiments - working well with so many dishes!

Do you have any other go-to spices or sauces that you find give your meal prep some added zing?
Some freshly grated ginger and garlic can do wonders too. They're such common ingredients, but they add a strong fragrant flavor to any dish. I also like to experiment with different varieties of mustard - the choices are endless, from smooth and creamy to robust and spicy. A squeeze of lemon juice adds a nice bright note as well!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and wellness
Some freshly grated ginger and garlic can do wonders too. They're such common ingredients, but they add a strong fragrant flavor to any dish. I also like to experiment with different varieties of mustard - the choices are endless, from smooth and creamy to robust and spicy. A squeeze of lemon juice adds a nice bright note as well!
Ginger and garlic's aroma really transforms the meal and gives it some punch. Mustards and lemons are versatile ingredients too; their zing brightens up any dish, especially grilled or roasted veggies.

It's interesting how you mentioned ginger and garlic because they're ingredients that most people stock at home. They're definitely pantry essentials, yet a lot of us overlook their potential as secret weapons in cooking. And I must agree with the magic of mustards, there's so many to discover beyond the usual yellow stuff.

• Love
Reactions: koala and bookworm
Fresh ginger and garlic certainly pack a lot of punch and fragrance, it's amazing how such tiny roots can have such a huge impact on flavour. I love the idea of experimenting with mustards too - there are so many options to explore and they all add a unique kick.

I'm learning that meal prep can be so creative and fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu