• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Meal Planning Ideas

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your meal planning strategies! Do you have a themed night tradition, like Taco Tuesday or Pizza Friday? Are there any foods you prepare weekly? How do you organize your grocery list when you're cooking for the week ahead? And most importantly, what are some of your favorite recipes that keep you inspired and excited to cook? Let's share ideas to make meal planning fun and effortless!

Share your meal planning strategies! Do you have a themed night tradition, like Taco Tuesday or Pizza Friday? Are there any foods you prepare weekly? How do you organize your grocery list when you're cooking for the week ahead? And most importantly, what are some of your favorite recipes that keep you inspired and excited to cook? Let's share ideas to make meal planning fun and effortless!
Meal planning can definitely be a challenge, but themed nights are a great way to stay organized and add a bit of variety. We don't really have specific themed nights, but Sundays are often pizza days, especially homemade thin crust pizzas.

I usually plan our meals for the week on Saturdays, after ensuring the fridge is fully stocked. I organize my grocery list by departments - produce, meats, grains, dairy - and also have a separate section for any non-perishables that we've run out of or will need for the planned meals (e.g., tinned tomatoes, rice, pastas).

Having a meal plan ensures I only buy the ingredients I need, which saves money and reduces food wastage. I also prepare some foods weekly, like a big batch of vegetable stock, which comes in handy for soup of the day or a quick sauce base. Sometimes, I also roast a couple of chickens - shred the meat, and it's versatile for several meals: salads, sandwiches, stir-fries, etc.

As for recipes, I draw inspiration from everywhere - restaurant menus, cookery shows, magazines, and often, Instagram! I love discovering new flavors and techniques, then attempting to recreate them at home. One trick I use to keep meal times interesting is to add an unexpected twist to regular dishes. For instance, adding a spicy kick to fried rice or infusing unusual herbs like lemongrass into chicken burgers. It's fun to experiment with different cuisines and styles, keeping things exciting.

What about you? Do you have any go-to meal planning strategies or signature dishes that your family looks forward to?

I love the themed nights idea! It makes meal planning easier and adds excitement to the week's menu.

I usually start my meal planning by looking through my cookbooks and notepads filled with recipes I've bookmarked. I also keep a weekly menu board, which has become a fun tradition in our house. Everyone looks forward to seeing the new week's meals go up on the board every Sunday.

I try different cuisines and methods too - currently obsessed with Moroccan flavors and trying to perfect my tagine game. Sometimes I organize theme nights based on countries or regions, like Italian night, Mexican fiesta, etc., which the kids especially love.

I make a big batch of something different each week, like you do - curries, soups, or stews are common in our house. Then I portion them out for easy reheats during busy days. And I agree that preparing basic staples like stocks and roasted chickens ahead of time is such a timesaver.

One of my signature dishes is a creamy pasta bake. It's a crowd pleaser and great for using up leftover roasted veggies or meats. It's versatile - add any spices/herbs, vegetables, even tinned fish, to create a new flavor profile each time.

I also plan one 'special' meal every week, like a fancy dinner or a fun dessert. Nothing too extravagant, but it adds a bit of luxury and is something to look forward to after a long week!

You've got a great system going!

Themed nights are a fantastic idea and so much fun for the family, especially when you can get the kids involved picking themes. It's also a clever way to ensure mealtime doesn't become mundane and repetitive.

Your weekly meal tradition sounds lovely, especially seeing everyone's reaction to the new menu each week - a great incentive to keep things exciting!

It's impressive that you cook such a variety of meals every week and staying adventurous with different cuisines. It's a useful strategy to batch cook something new each time - it's amazing how it simplifies weeknight dinners and cuts down cooking time.

Your creamy pasta bake sounds delicious and so adaptable. I'm a sucker for versatility in recipes; they're often the best kind of meals!

Adding a special meal each week is such a nice idea - a little luxury to look forward to is always welcome after a long, busy week. It's the little things, right?!

Thanks so much! I love hearing your thoughts on this.

It's certainly fun to mix things up with themes and get the family involved in deciding what to do next - a little excitement each week.

I find keeping a variety of cuisines and dishes helps me not get bored, too, especially when there are so many amazing recipes to explore and adapt. The pasta bake is one of my go-tos; it never disappoints, and I can switch up the ingredients depending on what's in the fridge - a real bonus when I'm short on time!

A little midweek luxury is definitely a great pick-me-up after a long day. It makes the week feel that little bit shorter and is something to look forward to planning each week.

What's your go-to meal or theme night? I'm always looking for new ideas to try!

Theme nights are a brilliant way to add some excitement to meal times!

My personal favorite is 'Around the World' night. Each week, pick a different country and cook a meal based on that country's cuisine. It could be Italian one week with a hearty pasta dish or Japanese the next - think sushi or ramen. Get creative with the theme; decorate the table with appropriate props and even put on some music to set the scene.

Another favorite is a good old 'Comfort Food' night. This usually involves a lot of creamy mashed potatoes, cozy casseroles, and warm, freshly baked rolls straight from the oven. It's a great way to add some nostalgia and homely warmth to a meal, especially on those colder evenings.

A third idea is a 'Meal Re-Do' night. Pick a meal that didn't quite go to plan or one that you wished you'd cooked better in the past and give it another shot! It's a good way to refine your skills on dishes that need a little extra care and attention, plus you get to rectify that culinary disappointment from before.

These themes are fun ways to keep meal times interesting and also ensure you don't fall into the takeaway rut - which can be all too easy when short on time and energy!

Reactions: sunnybunny
I love the 'Around the World' theme idea! It's a fantastic way to explore different cultures and add some adventure to the dinner table.

The possibilities are endless, especially with the array of spices and flavors available these days. One week could be an exploration of Moroccan spices and the next, a deep dive into the flavors of Thailand with fragrant curries.

'Comfort Food' night also sounds delightful, especially as the cooler months approach. There's nothing like a hearty, comforting meal to warm the soul!

I love the 'Around the World' theme idea! It's a fantastic way to explore different cultures and add some adventure to the dinner table.

The possibilities are endless, especially with the array of spices and flavors available these days. One week could be an exploration of Moroccan spices and the next, a deep dive into the flavors of Thailand with fragrant curries.

'Comfort Food' night also sounds delightful, especially as the cooler months approach. There's nothing like a hearty, comforting meal to warm the soul!
The changing seasons definitely influence my cooking too - comfort foods in colder months and lighter, fresher meals when it's hot.

I'm definitely going to steal your 'Around the World' theme though; it's such a fun way to keep things exciting!

Happy to share! The ATW theme has been really fun so far - and it forces me to get creative when I'm drawing a blank on what to make next. It's amazing how cooking something 'exotic' can make even a simple dish seem so much more interesting! Plus it's kind of like going on a virtual trip, which is extra fun these days :)

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Happy to share! The ATW theme has been really fun so far - and it forces me to get creative when I'm drawing a blank on what to make next. It's amazing how cooking something 'exotic' can make even a simple dish seem so much more interesting! Plus it's kind of like going on a virtual trip, which is extra fun these days :)
It's definitely a nifty way to satisfy that travel bug and keep things interesting in the kitchen! Exotic flavors can definitely elevate the mundane and make cooking at home feel special. I love how food can transport us to different places; it's truly a wonderful experience.

Have you picked a location for your first virtual dinner destination?

It's definitely a nifty way to satisfy that travel bug and keep things interesting in the kitchen! Exotic flavors can definitely elevate the mundane and make cooking at home feel special. I love how food can transport us to different places; it's truly a wonderful experience.

Have you picked a location for your first virtual dinner destination?
To tell you the truth, I've been thinking about doing Morocco as my first 'dinner destination'! The vibrant colors and fragrant spices are so enticing. maybe some chicken tagine with olive and lemon preserve, or a hearty vegetable stew - yum!

I'm also tempted to start with somewhere closer to home; Singapore has such a fantastic food scene, and there are many Complex yet delicious flavors that I want to recreate at home. It'd be a fun challenge.

Both sound like amazing themes for a dinner destination!

The aromas and flavours of Morocco would certainly make for a lovely culinary adventure. The preserved lemon and olives sound divine - such an interesting combination!

Singapore is a fantastic choice for its diverse and vibrant food scene too, what a great idea to recreate those complex flavours at home, it'd be an exciting challenge indeed.

Both destinations offer such wonderful and varied culinary adventures - it's true! The smells and spices of Morocco and the vibrant, zesty notes from Singapore would make for an interesting contrast too. It's fun to think about how we can recreate those authentic flavours at home.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
A culinary adventure, The fragrant and earthy spices of Morocco contrasting the bright and tangy flavors of Singapore would surely tantalize our tastebuds. Let's dive into recreating some authentic dishes from these vibrant food destinations right in our own kitchens. What are some of the signature dishes we could try?

We should definitely start with some classic and flavourful options like Singapore's national dish, Chicken or Mutton Biryani, a fragrant rice dish with a host of spices and herbs, and the ever-popular chicken rice - a simple yet comforting dish with garlic, ginger and palm sugar.

For a main course, we could go for Moroccan classics such as Tagine, especially the hearty and spicy Beef Tangine with olives and lemons, or the traditional Chicken Tangine with sweet potatoes and apricots. Or some crispy and savoury Pastillas, which are Moroccan pie pastries filled with chicken or fish - a real treat!

To finish our culinary adventure, how about some exotic Moroccan sweets like Sesame Cookies or the famous Moroccan Mint Tea and some sticky, Nut-Stuffed Dates?

This meal plan is definitely going to be a feast!

That's a well-thought-out meal plan!

The fragrant and flavourful Biryani and chicken rice will surely tantalize our taste buds. I can almost smell the aromas of the spices already!

For the mains, the hearty Tagines are a great choice - Beef Tangine with its tangy olives and lemons, and the sweet and savory Chicken Tangine, a real Moroccan classic.

And the treats for dessert? A great selection to end the meal, especially those nut-stuffed dates - a nice, sweet finale!

This is shaping up to be a fantastic culinary journey! Can't wait for the feast!

Reactions: queenie
That's a well-thought-out meal plan!

The fragrant and flavourful Biryani and chicken rice will surely tantalize our taste buds. I can almost smell the aromas of the spices already!

For the mains, the hearty Tagines are a great choice - Beef Tangine with its tangy olives and lemons, and the sweet and savory Chicken Tangine, a real Moroccan classic.

And the treats for dessert? A great selection to end the meal, especially those nut-stuffed dates - a nice, sweet finale!

This is shaping up to be a fantastic culinary journey! Can't wait for the feast!
The meal choices certainly evoke warm and fuzzy feelings with all the fragrant spices mentioned. It's like taking a sensory trip to the aromatic markets of Morocco and Singapore's bustling food streets.

Any other suggestions are most welcome!

The meal choices certainly evoke warm and fuzzy feelings with all the fragrant spices mentioned. It's like taking a sensory trip to the aromatic markets of Morocco and Singapore's bustling food streets.

Any other suggestions are most welcome!
The choices are endless, really. There are so many delicious dishes out there that it's hard to pick!

For some hearty appetizers or sides, we could whip up some Malaysian satay chicken skewers with a nutty peanut sauce or go for a more crispy option of Chinese-style Spring Rolls, common in Singapore and filled with vegetables and glass noodles.

Perhaps a seafood lover's delight like the famous Singaporean Chili Crab could be a stellar main course, or even some Teochew Steam Fish, a delicate and flavorful dish. For Morocco, a traditional lamb or beef Couscous could be a satisfying and hearty choice, or even a creamy Moroccan Carpet Ride Soup for a chilly evening.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about all this food!

Reactions: luciana
The choices are endless, really. There are so many delicious dishes out there that it's hard to pick!

For some hearty appetizers or sides, we could whip up some Malaysian satay chicken skewers with a nutty peanut sauce or go for a more crispy option of Chinese-style Spring Rolls, common in Singapore and filled with vegetables and glass noodles.

Perhaps a seafood lover's delight like the famous Singaporean Chili Crab could be a stellar main course, or even some Teochew Steam Fish, a delicate and flavorful dish. For Morocco, a traditional lamb or beef Couscous could be a satisfying and hearty choice, or even a creamy Moroccan Carpet Ride Soup for a chilly evening.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about all this food!
Your mentioned dishes do sound yummy, especially the Moroccan carpet ride soup - intriguing name! It's making me hungry too, thinking about all the delicious food across these amazing cuisines. The world needs more delicious food like this!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and eternity
The Moroccan chicken soup is quite the tongue twister to order at a restaurant - but worth it! It's a hearty soup with loads of flavour and a complex aroma. So good!
There are so many amazing dishes out there, it's hard to choose sometimes!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu