• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maximizing Time

I'm a staunch advocate for physical notebooks! The tactile sensation of writing on paper, especially with a nice weighted pen, is so satisfying. There's also the bonus of being able to quickly flip through pages and visually appreciate your notes laid out before you.

Colour-coding is a must for me; it makes everything more fun and is a quick way to add personality to your notes. I use a simple rainbow system for my headers and titles, which makes finding key info a breeze. I also love using those tiny sticky notes to mark important pages or add little reminders - they're like bookmarks that you can't miss!

That being said, I do keep a digital backup of most things. I find transcribing my physical notes into a digital format helps me reaffirm the key points and integrate them better into my memory. It's also easier to search for specific information when needed. But there's no beating the satisfaction of putting pen to paper!

As for stationery recommendations, I'm quite partial to the Muji gel pens - so many colours to choose from, and they write so smoothly! And for notebooks, I'd recommend the Leuchtturm1917 - they have dot grids, which are great for keeping your handwriting neat and also giving you the freedom to draw little diagrams or mind maps. The pages are thick too, which helps to minimise bleed-through if you're a heavy writer.

I completely agree with everything you said about the benefits of using physical notebooks! The sensory experience of writing on paper and the organisation opportunities like colour-coding are so satisfying.

I've never heard of the Muji gel pens or Leuchtturm1917 dot grid notebooks, but they sound amazing - off to check them out now!

Do you have any particular method for your rainbow colour-coding system or is it more of a feel/instinct thing when deciding on colours? I'm also curious about your transcription process. Do you type up your notes as soon as possible after your writing session, or do you wait until you need the information and then transcribe the pertinent parts?

Also, have you ever tried using digital tools like Notion or Evernote to complement your physical note-taking? I've found that they can be useful for digitising notes and making them easily searchable, although I still prefer putting pen to paper first most of the time.

I completely agree with everything you said about the benefits of using physical notebooks! The sensory experience of writing on paper and the organisation opportunities like colour-coding are so satisfying.

I've never heard of the Muji gel pens or Leuchtturm1917 dot grid notebooks, but they sound amazing - off to check them out now!

Do you have any particular method for your rainbow colour-coding system or is it more of a feel/instinct thing when deciding on colours? I'm also curious about your transcription process. Do you type up your notes as soon as possible after your writing session, or do you wait until you need the information and then transcribe the pertinent parts?

Also, have you ever tried using digital tools like Notion or Evernote to complement your physical note-taking? I've found that they can be useful for digitising notes and making them easily searchable, although I still prefer putting pen to paper first most of the time.
There's definitely a method to my colour coordination! Haha, I usually reserve red for important dates or urgent items, blue for general headers/titling, and then go with orange or yellow forsubtitle points. Green is for when I want to highlight or quickly jot something down that I need to remember but isn't necessarily a priority. Pink and purple are great for decorating and adding emphasis!

As for transcribing, I usually type up my notes a few days later when I have some downtime - I find it's a good way to refresh my memory on the topics and commit them further to mind. It's become a sort of ritual that helps me process and organize my thoughts, almost like a mental consolidation process!

I've heard of Notion but haven't delved into using it just yet; from what I hear, it seems like a robust system that could be great for organizing notes and keeping track of various aspects of life! I do use Evernote sometimes - it's handy for clipping articles and web pages alongside handwritten notes (though the two don't always merge seamlessly!).

There's definitely something to be said about the tactile joy of writing things down, especially with fancy stationery! It adds a sensory element to note-taking that enhances the experience tenfold.

Colour coordination is a great strategy! I also find that using different colours helps me quickly scan my notes for key information or to double back on specific points later.

I like your idea of transcribing notes as a way of reinforcing your memory - and creating some distance to gain a new perspective is a great mental hack. There's definitely an art to note-taking, and it's interesting how our methods evolve to suit our own needs and preferences.

The tactile joy of putting pen to paper really is special - and using colour in this way adds another layer of enjoyment! Do you find that using physical notebooks helps with your productivity, or are you more drawn to digital note-taking tools? (Besides the occasional fancy notebook, I'm slowly migrating to digital notes for their ease of searchability!)

Also curious: have you ever tried a mind mapping approach? I find it fascinating how these visual representations can help make connections and spark new ideas.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: techsavvy and koala
Colour coordination is a great strategy! I also find that using different colours helps me quickly scan my notes for key information or to double back on specific points later.

I like your idea of transcribing notes as a way of reinforcing your memory - and creating some distance to gain a new perspective is a great mental hack. There's definitely an art to note-taking, and it's interesting how our methods evolve to suit our own needs and preferences.

The tactile joy of putting pen to paper really is special - and using colour in this way adds another layer of enjoyment! Do you find that using physical notebooks helps with your productivity, or are you more drawn to digital note-taking tools? (Besides the occasional fancy notebook, I'm slowly migrating to digital notes for their ease of searchability!)

Also curious: have you ever tried a mind mapping approach? I find it fascinating how these visual representations can help make connections and spark new ideas.
Physical notebooks are definitely my go-to and provide a deeper sensory experience that enhances my productivity - though sometimes I do find myself gravitating towards the ease of digital notes!

I'm a big fan of mind mapping; it's amazing how radiantly these visual diagrams can make your thoughts sparkle and connect in new ways. I typically freewrite and then go back to mindlessly doodle and draw connections between my ideas, which somehow seem to make more sense this way! Digital tools definitely have their place in making these mind maps too - I've had some success with Microsoft's Whiteboard app.
The act of writing by hand seems to stimulate my thoughts in a way that typing never has; there's a certain fluidity and openness to exploring ideas when putting pen to paper.

For sure, physical notebooks offer an invaluable sensory dimension to our productivity experiences. The very act of handwriting fosters a flexibility of thought that's often lacking when using digital tools.

I've also found immense value in mind mapping; it's incredible how whittling away at the edges of our thoughts through doodles and diagrams can lead to some of our best insights! There's a certain spontaneity to this approach which I believe is key for harnessing our most innovative ideas.

I'll have to give Microsoft Whiteboard a shot, as I'm always keen on discovering new digital tools to enhance my note-taking game!

For sure, physical notebooks offer an invaluable sensory dimension to our productivity experiences. The very act of handwriting fosters a flexibility of thought that's often lacking when using digital tools.

I've also found immense value in mind mapping; it's incredible how whittling away at the edges of our thoughts through doodles and diagrams can lead to some of our best insights! There's a certain spontaneity to this approach which I believe is key for harnessing our most innovative ideas.

I'll have to give Microsoft Whiteboard a shot, as I'm always keen on discovering new digital tools to enhance my note-taking game!
There's always something soothing and satisfying about going old school with pen and paper - it's timeless for a reason!

Mind mapping is like creating an impromptu brainstorm session on the go; it's surprising how such disorderly scribbles can somehow help order our thoughts. I suppose that's the beauty of it, too - it's very much a no-judgement kind of exercise! Give Microsoft Whiteboard a go and let me know how you find it - I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it!

• Haha
Reactions: musical

You bet! Yes, that spontaneous spark is precisely what keeps me going back to pen and paper - there's a raw, unfiltered creativity to it.

Do let me know your thoughts on Microsoft Whiteboard; I find it quite useful for virtual brainstorming sessions, though I'm always up for discovering newer, better apps that can boost our note-taking experiences! It's an often understated aspect of our daily routines that can greatly impact our relationship with ideas and productivity.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu