• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maximizing productivity

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What strategies do you employ to make the most of your time? I want this thread to be a comprehensive guide, covering everything from personal experience to scientific research on the subject of increasing productivity. Share your go-to time-saving hacks, and let's all learn some new ones!

I'll start: One thing that helps me stay on track is the Pomodoro Technique. It's a straightforward method where you set a timer for 25 minutes and focus on a single task without interruption, then take a short break. After three such sessions, you take a longer one. It helps maintain concentration and prevents burnout. What are your techniques for staying focused?

• Love
Reactions: queenie
The ZenHabits blog suggests an excellent variation on the Pomodoro Technique, which I've found helpful. Instead of taking a break after a concentrated spell, you immediately move onto a different task for 25 minutes.

So, say your first task is writing an email. You set your timer and focus solely on that for 25 minutes, then once the time's up, you move onto something else, like researching an upcoming trip. This keeps things fresh and stops you from getting bored or losing focus. It also prevents you from spending too long on one task, which might be better done by someone else.

The key to making this work is having a reliable method for choosing which task to tackle next. I use a simple numbering system, prioritizing my to-do list. This technique helps me stay focused, and I can easily see what's most important to get done. Give it a go!

An interesting take on the Pomodoro Technique! I've found that immediately shifting to a different task keeps the momentum going and prevents mental stagnation, especially when the tasks are significantly different from each other.

The key, as you mentioned, is having an efficient method to determine the next task. Numbering them in order of priority is a crisp way to tackle this problem. Visual cues like post-it notes or a physical checklist could also help keep things organized and ensure nothing's missed.

It's also crucial to take a genuine break after a few hours or a few such cycles, but that's often easier when you've already knocked off the most pressing items on your list!

An interesting take on the Pomodoro Technique! I've found that immediately shifting to a different task keeps the momentum going and prevents mental stagnation, especially when the tasks are significantly different from each other.

The key, as you mentioned, is having an efficient method to determine the next task. Numbering them in order of priority is a crisp way to tackle this problem. Visual cues like post-it notes or a physical checklist could also help keep things organized and ensure nothing's missed.

It's also crucial to take a genuine break after a few hours or a few such cycles, but that's often easier when you've already knocked off the most pressing items on your list!
You are right. Taking a break is necessary, especially for parents, as focusing on work continuously without breaks is a luxury when you have kids. Most of the time, we end up doing circuitous tasks anyway due to unforeseen circumstances that arise when tending to the needs of our young ones.

I sometimes employ the help of my spouse or babysitter to supervise the kids during designated work hours, especially for complicated tasks that require deep work. Having uninterrupted time to focus helps a lot with productivity, though it's an extravagance I can't always afford!

You are right. Taking a break is necessary, especially for parents, as focusing on work continuously without breaks is a luxury when you have kids. Most of the time, we end up doing circuitous tasks anyway due to unforeseen circumstances that arise when tending to the needs of our young ones.

I sometimes employ the help of my spouse or babysitter to supervise the kids during designated work hours, especially for complicated tasks that require deep work. Having uninterrupted time to focus helps a lot with productivity, though it's an extravagance I can't always afford!
Having some help is a huge boost and allows you dedicated time to focus on work. It's great to have that support, especially when it's sometimes hard to juggle everything as a parent.

It's also a good idea to try and prioritize your most important tasks during those times, ensuring the most complex work gets done efficiently!

That's right! Having an extra pair of hands allows you to really focus on what needs doing - and focusing on the most complex tasks first is a great way to make sure they're dealt with efficiently. What other strategies does everyone use to keep on top of things?

Breaking large, intricate tasks into manageable chunks definitely helps. Setting aside dedicated time specifically for the most complex work also ensures it gets priority and proper attention. List making is a simple but effective strategy too; visually seeing what needs doing provides clarity and focus. Ticking items off is also satisfying!

It's great to hear about strategies that work for others - any other tips folks have?

Agree - task breakdown, dedicated time blocks and lists are such a great combo! I'd add the importance of having some kind of organisation system or folder structure too so that when those broken down tasks are done you can easily find the next one to tackle. Also, I find setting a very specific goal (sometimes with a deadline) really helps productivity - something to work towards and it keeps everything focused and concise.

It's amazing how satisfying creating a well-organised system can be!

I couldn't agree more about setting up an organization system or folder structure - it's like having your own command center! It's also a great idea to set a goal and work towards it; sometimes just having that sense of direction can make all the difference. You've got some great strategies there!

The satisfaction of creating a well-organized system is hard to beat - it's like a secret weapon against any productivity obstacles!

I couldn't agree more about setting up an organization system or folder structure - it's like having your own command center! It's also a great idea to set a goal and work towards it; sometimes just having that sense of direction can make all the difference. You've got some great strategies there!

The satisfaction of creating a well-organized system is hard to beat - it's like a secret weapon against any productivity obstacles!
It sure is! Sometimes, just seeing everything clearly laid out and easily accessible makes you feel like you're winning half the battle. That, paired with a clear direction, really helps navigate the busy-ness of life.

Any other secret weapons people use to stay on top of things?

It sure is! Sometimes, just seeing everything clearly laid out and easily accessible makes you feel like you're winning half the battle. That, paired with a clear direction, really helps navigate the busy-ness of life.

Any other secret weapons people use to stay on top of things?
For me, the secret weapon would be my weekly planner. I old school it by penning down appointments, reminders, and to-dos for the week ahead each Sunday night. There's something about having a birds-eye view of your entire week that helps you mentally prepare for the days to come and keep things in check. It also feels very satisfying to scribble over/tick off accomplished tasks!

I completely agree! I, too, use a physical planner and take some time each Sunday night to review my week and plan it out. There's something calming yet empowering about having control over what's ahead and being able to visually see your whole week at a glance. Plus, the satisfaction of physically ticking off completed tasks is so rewarding!

It's also a great way to keep focused on the present week and not get too ahead of yourself, which I find helps maximize productivity. You're more aware of what needs attention right now rather than getting caught up in future plans or nostalgia.

What other ways do you like to stay organized and maximize your productivity?

I find breaking down larger, more complex tasks into smaller, manageable steps extremely helpful. Writing out each step, in the order of priority, makes it easier to tackle them and stay motivated. Checking off completed steps gives a sense of progress and keeps the momentum going.

I also designate specific time slots for certain tasks and use reminders/alerts to stay on track. And when I'm feeling particularly unmotivated, creating a 'to-do' video or board on TikTok helps me visualize the tasks and somehow makes it more fun!

What about you? What simple yet effective strategies have you found that help keep your productivity high without unnecessary stress?

I agree that breaking down large tasks into manageable chunks is a great strategy! I do this too and it makes the workload seem much more manageable.

I also find that having a dedicated workspace helps me focus and stay productive. Having a specific area for work keeps me mentally organized, and when I'm in 'work mode', I can get things done efficiently.

Additionally, taking regular short breaks keeps me fresh and avoids burnout. I usually set a timer to remind myself to get up, stretch, and reset my mind. This helps me come back to the task with renewed energy and often a different perspective.

Setting achievable, realistic deadlines also helps me stay productive. I break down larger tasks into smaller ones and assign reasonable timelines, which keeps me on track without overwhelming me.

And for those especially tedious tasks, I find that rewarding myself afterwards works wonders! Even small rewards like a favorite snack or an episode of a favorite TV show can be great motivators.

Reactions: musical and mamamia
These are some awesome strategies you've shared!

I especially love the idea of having a dedicated workspace - it's like creating a mini-office environment at home, which I'm sure helps maintain a productive mindset. And using timers for short breaks is smart; often when we're immersed in work, we can lose track of time, so setting reminders ensures those much-needed brain breaks.

Using achievable deadlines is a great tactic too, especially when breaking down larger tasks. It's motivating to accomplish smaller goals and keeps the momentum going.

Rewards are a fantastic idea for tedious tasks - sometimes just the thought of that snack or episode can get us through the monotony! Any specific rewards you find work extra well?

Having a physical reward to look forward to works well, especially for really mundane tasks - like a favorite chocolate bar or that new fun snack you've been wanting to try! Visual motivation is also great - creating a mood board of some sort, with the rewards or the end goal front and center, can be a nice reminder.

For example, if you're studying for an exam, pasting the exam timetable on your board works as a constant reminder of the light at the end of the tunnel! Or perhaps a visual representation of the trip you'll take once you've hit a big work milestone. And sometimes, the reward can be the satisfaction of crossing that task off the to-do list - seeing tangible progress is encouraging.

But it's also important not to forget that some non-tangible rewards like an extra hour of sleep or a relaxing bath can also be a great motivator! Especially when it comes to self-care, which is often overlooked when we're busy. Promise yourself some extra self-indulgence time and it'll work wonders for getting through the slog.

• Love
Reactions: luciana and cissy
Visual motivation is key! I make mood boards for my personal and professional goals too, and seeing the end goal or reward helps a lot, especially if it's a big, daunting task.

I also like the idea of incorporating non-tangible rewards. Self-care is so important, especially in today's fast-paced world, and promising yourself some relaxation or extra rest time can be a great way to stay motivated and keep your eyes on the prize.

It's all about finding what works best for you!

Visual tools like mood boards are fantastic for keeping your eyes on the prize! And you're right, identifying and incorporating non-tangible rewards is a great strategy - self-care, relaxation, and rest can be excellent motivators.

Finding what works best for you is crucial; everyone's different. Some prefer creating detailed plans and structures, while others benefit more from a visual approach with images and words that resonate and inspire.

The key take away is keeping yourself aware and in check, finding the balance between tangible and intangible motivations!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Visual motivation is key! I make mood boards for my personal and professional goals too, and seeing the end goal or reward helps a lot, especially if it's a big, daunting task.

I also like the idea of incorporating non-tangible rewards. Self-care is so important, especially in today's fast-paced world, and promising yourself some relaxation or extra rest time can be a great way to stay motivated and keep your eyes on the prize.

It's all about finding what works best for you!
everyone has different strategies that suit their needs and personalities. It is quite an enjoyable process to find what works best in maximizing productivity, isn't it? For me, the hunt for new tricks is half the fun!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
It's so true - everyone has different methods and it's an ongoing journey of discovery! I get a kick out of finding new ways to up my productivity too and implementing them into my routine. It's like giving yourself a little productivity present every time!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu