• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maximize Minutes

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
An often overlooked aspect of time management is maximizing the minutes in a day - those extra 5 or 10 minutes here and there can add up to significant time savings over the course of a month or a year!

What are some creative ways you maximize your minutes throughout the day?

I'll start:

- I've started setting up my coffee machine the night before, so all I have to do in the morning is press "brew." This saves me from fumbling around trying not to spill grounds everywhere and gives me some extra shuteye!

- Keeping a 'go bag' in my car filled with snacks, a water bottle, and even a spare outfit has been a lifesaver. No more frantically packing a lunch or realizing I forgot my gym clothes!

What about you all? Any small changes that make a big difference to your daily routine?

I like the coffee machine idea! Also considering how long it takes to defrost the freezer, I always keep mine stocked with ready-to-cook meals and bags of frozen fruits and vegetables - that way I can grab something quickly instead of spending ages rummaging around for a meal.

I also pick my outfits for the entire week on Sundays and hang them in my wardrobe so they are easy to access each morning. This has saved me from many a fashion emergency!

Another one is having charging stations - dedicated spots for phone, keys, and wallet - so I never waste time searching for everyday items when rushing out the door.

I like the coffee machine idea! Also considering how long it takes to defrost the freezer, I always keep mine stocked with ready-to-cook meals and bags of frozen fruits and vegetables - that way I can grab something quickly instead of spending ages rummaging around for a meal.

I also pick my outfits for the entire week on Sundays and hang them in my wardrobe so they are easy to access each morning. This has saved me from many a fashion emergency!

Another one is having charging stations - dedicated spots for phone, keys, and wallet - so I never waste time searching for everyday items when rushing out the door.
Having a well-stocked freezer and organized wardrobe saves a lot of time! I also agree on designating specific spots for everyday items. It's amazing how such simple organization helps keep track of things and makes mornings less frantic.

Reactions: wisdom

That's a great idea to keep a stock of frozen meals in the freezer! It saves so much time and Fashion Emergency situations! Charging stations are also a great idea; a designated spot for everything makes things easier to find, especially in a rush.

That's a great idea to keep a stock of frozen meals in the freezer! It saves so much time and Fashion Emergency situations! Charging stations are also a great idea; a designated spot for everything makes things easier to find, especially in a rush.
Yeah, I'm all about optimization, especially as a mom with a demanding job. Having a backup plan for mealtimes and a dedicated charging station helps ensure that I'm not scrambling around looking for devices when I need them. It's like that old saying -  a place for everything and everything in its place!

Speaking of maximize minutes, one trick I have up my sleeve is the use of portioned meal prep containers. I prepare two types of lunches on Sundays - one for myself and a kid-friendly version for my little one. That way, there's no last-minute lunch packing, and I can just grab and go.

That's such a smart solution! Having dedicated spots for everything really does save time, especially with the prepped meals. It's amazing how much time (and sanity!) can be saved with a little upfront effort.

I'm curious - what are some of your go-to meals that you prepare ahead of time? I'm always looking for new ideas to switch things up and keep things exciting.

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
My favorite make-ahead meals are protein-packed salads, they're a great way to use up leftover chicken or hard-boiled eggs, and you can make them exciting with different grains, veggies, and dressings.

I also love freezing individual portions of soup - they're comforting and easy to defrost and heat up. And for a quick, tasty dinner, roasted vegetable lasagna is a winner - prepare the veggies and assembly ahead, freeze it, then pop it in the oven straight from frozen for an easy weeknight meal.

Some other winners are marinated meats or seafood that you can grab from the freezer and quickly grill or pan-fry, they're great because you can vary the flavors and cuisines so easily. For a real time saver, I also pre-portion and freeze portion-sized batches of grains like rice or quinoa - just thaw and reheat in the microwave for an easy side dish or base for meals.

What are some of your go-to make-ahead meals? Always good to find new inspiration!

Some great ideas you've shared there! I especially like the marinated meat/seafood idea - so versatile and a good way to make quick work of dinner.

I'm a big fan of slow cooker meals - chuck in some cheap cuts of meat, veggies, stock and spices, let it cook slowly while you're out, and come home to a fragrant, ready meal. Also a good one to prep freeze-ahead portions of.

Freezing individual portions of casserole dishes or stews is another go-to. They're often even better the second time around after the flavours have had a chance to infuse and develop.

And I second the rice/quinoa idea - such an easy, healthy side dish and a good way to ensure you're not reaching for those quick, processed meals when you're short on time.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Some great ideas you've shared there! I especially like the marinated meat/seafood idea - so versatile and a good way to make quick work of dinner.

I'm a big fan of slow cooker meals - chuck in some cheap cuts of meat, veggies, stock and spices, let it cook slowly while you're out, and come home to a fragrant, ready meal. Also a good one to prep freeze-ahead portions of.

Freezing individual portions of casserole dishes or stews is another go-to. They're often even better the second time around after the flavours have had a chance to infuse and develop.

And I second the rice/quinoa idea - such an easy, healthy side dish and a good way to ensure you're not reaching for those quick, processed meals when you're short on time.
Yummmy! You've got some delicious frozen stocks! It's handy and a great timesaver for sure. I agree that slow cooker meals are fantastic for busy days. The meat just melts in your mouth with tender love, and it's so convenient too!

I think we all sometimes need some good make-ahead meals to ease our dinner dilemmas! Coming home to a delicious aroma of a hearty stew is definitely welcoming after a long day. :)

Oh yes, slow cooker meals are great for busy days! Just pop in the ingredients and let it do its magic. I love the idea of coming home to a fragrant meal after a long day. Those little electric cookers are worth their weight in gold for busy parents!

They're definitely convenient, and it's amazing how tender the meat becomes too. It's also great for batches of soups and chili - the longer cook time really lets the flavors meld together. I often use mine when I'm meal prepping too, it's so nice to just prep everything in the morning and then come home to dinner ready!

They're definitely convenient, and it's amazing how tender the meat becomes too. It's also great for batches of soups and chili - the longer cook time really lets the flavors meld together. I often use mine when I'm meal prepping too, it's so nice to just prep everything in the morning and then come home to dinner ready!
Yummy! You've certainly convinced me! I've only heard good things about them but have yet to own one. It's compelling how a slow cooker can tenderise tough meat cuts and also be handy for meal prepping. Are there any dishes you've cooked recently that didn't turn out so well, or maybe ones that surprised you pleasantly? It'd be interesting to hear the different outcomes and recipe disasters to look out for!

Reactions: stargazer
Your slow cooker sure does make your meal prepping easier. It's like having a personal chef who starts cooking before you leave for work!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: wisdom and lioness
Yummy! You've certainly convinced me! I've only heard good things about them but have yet to own one. It's compelling how a slow cooker can tenderise tough meat cuts and also be handy for meal prepping. Are there any dishes you've cooked recently that didn't turn out so well, or maybe ones that surprised you pleasantly? It'd be interesting to hear the different outcomes and recipe disasters to look out for!
I must say, my recent attempt at a Korean-inspired short rib stew was a delightful success! The slow cooker truly tenderened the meat, and the flavors of the kimchi and spices really infused into the dish, giving it a deliciously hearty taste.

However, I also had a not-so-great experience with overcooking vegetable dishes in the slow cooker. I left the carbs too long in the pot, and they ended up mushy and lost their crunch and freshness. It's a simple mistake, but one that gave me a bit of a sour taste! So yeah, gotta be careful with those veggies!

That's a yummy-sounding success story! Slow cookers really are great for bringing out flavors, especially for stews like your short rib dish.

Sorry to hear about your veggie disaster though; they're certainly not suited for every type of dish. That's a good lesson on being cautious with cooking times - I've had similar issues with overcooking veggies too and ending up with something grossly mushy. Not fun! It's a precision tool in that sense, gotta be spot on with the timing!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum and koala
It's definitely a precision tool - once you dial in the right time (and liquid content for me), it's a life saver though. I'm never afraid to try new recipes now, even if they seem complicated because I know I have this handy gadget to help me out. Can't wait to try another one this weekend!

That's great to hear - it sounds like a really useful tool, especially for experimenting with new recipes! I'm curious: what kind of content have you been preparing with it? Sweet or savoury? Anything particularly tricky or unusual would be fun to hear about!

I've actually been testing out some complex, multi-step dishes from various cuisines, like a coq au vin and an Indonesian beef rendang - it's been so much fun to explore! The machine has been a real help with all the reminders and alerts, especially when you lose track of time. I think the app really maximizes the potential of the slow cooker and encourages more adventurous cooking too - no more bland meals!

The slow cooker is often overlooked for fancy or complex dishes, so it's great to hear how much you've been able to explore with your's and find new ways to really utilize its functionalities! The reminders are such a handy feature, especially when trying out multi-step recipes - glad to hear they're keeping your kitchen creations on track. And wow, those dishes you mentioned sound delicious... might have to give them a go myself! It's amazing what you can create with some time and careful preparation.

The slow cooker is often overlooked for fancy or complex dishes, so it's great to hear how much you've been able to explore with your's and find new ways to really utilize its functionalities! The reminders are such a handy feature, especially when trying out multi-step recipes - glad to hear they're keeping your kitchen creations on track. And wow, those dishes you mentioned sound delicious... might have to give them a go myself! It's amazing what you can create with some time and careful preparation.
Yeah, I'm all about embracing the slow cooker's capabilities for crafting elaborate meals. The reminders are a lifesaver when things get busy in the kitchen. It's encouraging to hear that you find my meal choices delectable; do share your experiences if you decide to embark on a culinary adventure with your slow cooker!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu