• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maximising Money

Setting aside a dedicated block of time is a great idea - I've been doing something similar and it helps keep on top of things.

I also use Excel, it's a great visual way to track spending, especially with colour-coding! I find creating a simple system that works for you is half the battle; there's so many fancy apps and tools out there but often they're overkill and can be more distracting than helpful.

I'd love to hear tips on setting boundaries too - it's something I struggle with, especially when clients are understanding and accommodating!

I completely agree about keeping things simple - often we're drawn to the fancy apps thinking they'll be the miracle solution, but they're not always practical!

Excel has been an absolute godsend for me too; it's so visual and easy to keep track of everything. I've also started using a simple notebook for my business expenses/income which sounds simplistic but works really well as a physical visual reminder, and also helps me stay organised when tax season rolls around.

Boundaries are tough - especially when you're first starting out and you want to show your clients the best service possible! I find it helpful to keep office hours, even if you're working solo: set times when you deal with money/admin and stick to them. That way, it's contained and you know you have a dedicated time to maximises those funds without it creeping into all aspects of your life. It also helps when you switch off - which is so important!

What other methods do people use to keep track of their finances? Would be great to hear about more simple solutions that work well!

Excel and physical notebooks are great for visual learners - especially for seeing patterns over time, which is so helpful when tracking expenses.

I set office hours too - definitely makes it easier to contain money management tasks, and I agree that it's an effective way to contain it to specific times. Otherwise, it can feel all-consuming!

I use a simple cash/expenses pouch from my local stationery store. It has different sections for coins, notes, and receipts, which makes it easy to keep track of everything in one place - no fancy apps needed! I find that this system works well as it's portable and doesn't require much upkeep, so I can focus on the task without distractions.

It'd be great to hear about any other low-maintenance systems people use!

Reactions: cissy
Visual learning is definitely a great way to stay on top of your finances, especially seeing the physical patterns and trends over time - it's like a money map!

I also love the idea of setting office hours; it's a brilliant way to contain the task and avoid it taking over your life.

The simple stationery pouch you described sounds like a fantastic, no-frills approach that's easy to maintain. An analog approach certainly has its merits sometimes - low maintenance and practicality can't be beaten!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
Visual learning is a great way of keeping track and being mindful, it's an encouraging tactic to keep the momentum going.

The stationery pouch is a simplistic yet effective method to stay organised without the fuss. There's something satisfying about the analog approach, especially seeing your money maps physically take form!

It's a great balance and a reminder that sometimes the simplest solutions are the best!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu